Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
(04-28-2018, 05:23 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I agree with you on most of this, been a huge fan of Darius Phillips for a while now.

My only issue was taking Harris is 5 with Tyrell Crosby still on the board, that one is a qiesrionable call imo.

Overall pretty happy with the draft so far.

I wanted Crosby or Jimarco Jones with our first 5th myself, but evidently Pollack doesn't think either would
make the team. He must really like Fisher and Hart as much as this might confuse people. Pollack is the guy
that knows O-lineman much better than i do. I will let him be the judge. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are 4 right tackle prospects on roster right now
Fisher
Ced
Boling
Hart

I think Boling could make a fine RT, we still do not know how Pollack is going to sort the line out, could be like this...

Glenn - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Boling

Who knows?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are 4 right tackle prospects on roster right now
Fisher
Ced
Boling
Hart

That's pathetic.  Fisher is the best and proven he can't handle it.  Ced tried and failed being left handed. Boling is a right guard, lol.  Hart is a castaway and back up fodder.   ugh.   It shows once again how devastating drafting Og and Fisher was to this team.  Damn.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.

Plus Corey Glenn. Starting LT.

Agree with your grades.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:43 PM)yang Wrote: That's pathetic.  Fisher is the best and proven he can't handle it.  Ced tried and failed being left handed. Boling is a right guard, lol.  Hart is a castaway and back up fodder.   ugh.   It shows once again how devastating drafting Og and Fisher was to this team.  Damn.  

This was before Pollack was here crybaby. Cry
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Plus Corey Glenn.  Starting LT.  

Agree with your grades.

Yeah, we pretty much got Cordy and Wild Bill in the first.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:43 PM)yang Wrote: That's pathetic.  Fisher is the best and proven he can't handle it.  Ced tried and failed being left handed. Boling is a right guard, lol.  Hart is a castaway and back up fodder.   ugh.   It shows once again how devastating drafting Og and Fisher was to this team.  Damn.  

Boling is a LEFT Guard not Right Guard. Fisher's heart trouble cut his time short before he could settle in and he did flash some nice plays. Og is just a disaster and Hart is almost as bad. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:47 PM)Joelist Wrote: Boling is a LEFT Guard not Right Guard. Fisher's heart trouble cut his time short before he could settle in and he did flash some nice plays. Og is just a disaster and Hart is almost as bad. 

Didn't even notice he said Boling was a RG, how can we take this guy seriously Joelist?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This was before Pollack was here crybaby. Cry

Will be interesting to see what Pollack can do. His demeanor should fit fisher well.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't even notice he said Boling was a RG, how can we take this guy seriously Joelist?

I have no idea :)
Reply/Quote
F So far simply for the fact we had the worst offense last year and we only take 2 offensive players in the first 8 picks. Both players coming off injury. We had the picks to move up in this draft but moved back instead. Most cases we passed on guys that could have helped anyway.

Yes we got Glenn but some on here seem to think this new coach can make the guys we already have super stars. I think we are putting way too much faith in this coach and players who already proved their not the answer. As poor as this line has been the past 2 years it's pretty scary that this team obviously dosent think it's as big a problem as we do to continue ignoring the line. This draft and last years draft we are what 16-18 picks with a whopping 2 O Linemen taken. Hard to get excited about that.
Reply/Quote
C+

Not a great draft IMO when you have one of the league's worst offenses and spend 2 of 8 picks on offense in the first 5 rounds.

Not addressing OT was a huge mistake. Glenn is a terrific player, but very injury prone. This team is just a Glenn injury away from putting that sack of shit Ogbuehi right back where he was last year, i.e. protecting Andy's blindside and wrecking this team's chances at doing anything offensively. Ced should be thrown in a dumpster along with Bobby Hart and driven out to some farm in Brown county, where the dumpster can promptly be set on fire and buried in a hole in the ground. I never want to see turds like that in stripes again, and it's quite likely to happen now.

Also, not sure on the DBs. Bates is a smart player, but kind of a ***** when it comes to tackling. Harris is said to lack the physical traits to be an NFL corner. Lots of flash with little physicality added to the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 06:03 PM)samhain Wrote: C+

Not a great draft IMO when you have one of the league's worst offenses and spend 2 of 8 picks on offense in the first 5 rounds.

Not addressing OT was a huge mistake. Glenn is a terrific player, but very injury prone. This team is just a Glenn injury away from putting that sack of shit Ogbuehi right back where he was last year, i.e. protecting Andy's blindside and wrecking this team's chances at doing anything offensively. Ced should be thrown in a dumpster along with Bobby Hart and driven out to some farm in Brown county, where the dumpster can promptly be set on fire and buried in a hole in the ground. I never want to see turds like that in stripes again, and it's quite likely to happen now.

No he’s not.

He’s played 16 games half the years he’s been in the league.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 06:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No he’s not.

He’s played 16 games half the years he’s been in the league.

How about the last two?  Last season? He's played 17 games in 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Billy Price C Ohio State = A+ - Obviously our biggest area of need and Price is the best run blocking Center with
the biggest upside in the Draft. Just this pick solidifies the interior and now Dalton will have a pocket to step into
and our RB's will have holes to run through. Road grading run blocker and good pass protector all the while being
a great leader. Perfect pick for us, all 3 Centers were gone before our 2nd pick. Could of been a disaster if we
waited like some were calling for us to do.

Jessie Bates III Wake Forest = A - Best ballhawk in the Draft, just what we needed at Safety. Needs to work on
his tackling, only reason this is not an A+ from me and why i wanted us to take him in the 3rd.

Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State = A - Was a 2nd round talent we got in the 3rd for our rotation. Should make MJ
vulnerable. Cannot believe we took two OSU guys. Pretty crazy, love it. Needed another End badly and Hubbard
could be a great one.

Malk Jefferson LB Texas - A+ - Wanted this guy in the 2nd as well, great size and enormous talent. Watched this
guy at Texas and he always impressed me. Was wanting this guy in stripes, surprised he fell this far. Great 3rd
round.

Mark Walton RB Miami - B+ - Only reason i don't have this pick as an A is it was not a need, but the player is a
very good RB that can do it all. Just thought we had other needs to fill. But Walton could of went in the 2nd round
if not for the injury. Could be a future ST's stud for us to replace Peerman and a great backup. But i still like Brian
Hill too, which is why this pick is still not an A in my eyes, first questionable pick.

Devontae Harris CB Illinois State - A - Big rangy, fast CB. Excellent depth with high upside.

Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia - A+ - Crazy upside and one of the best versatile D-lineman in this Draft, maybe the
best with the highest upside. Could be the steal of the Draft in the 5th round. The more i read up on this guy the
more i like, he could be a JJ Watt type or a Frostee Rucker type, we will see.

Darius Phillips CB Western Michigan - A+ - Would of taken this guy in the 4th round, might be the best returner in
college and is a fine CB to boot. Only reason he fell is the small college, he can do it all, now we are damn deep at
CB and Safety and don't have to bring back Adam and these guys are insurance in case Dennard leaves. Still think
we better give Dennard an extension though.

So, so far an A. Hope to get some crazy talent that fell cause of off the field issues in the 7th and hope we can turn
them around.

Great breakdown! I wish I could communicate like this.
Only thing I would change is the A+ grade to a B for Phillips because of the small school and he was a man among boys...but, because of that reason, the Bengals got a second or third round talent that will contribute for years. This is my only concern.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 06:10 PM)samhain Wrote: How about the last two?  Last season?

2012 13 games
2013 16 games
2014 16 games
2015 16 games
2016 11 games
2017 6 games

He’s missed 18 games out of 96. That’s hardly “very injury prone”

Reply/Quote
Please do the research on the players, you'll see something different.

Glenn's missed time was down to a single injury that got aggravated. He had a spur removal procedure which was successful. He has been cleared and indeed on his Twitter it shows him working out to get ready for camps. Price was just a minor pec tear and should be cleared in June.
Reply/Quote
B-, maybe C+

Price fills an obvious need, and was the best center on the board. Bates is an upgrade over what they have. I like Reid better, but the Bengals obviously didn’t. It’s fair to wonder if Eric Reid’s peaceful protest soured Mike Brown on his brother. I’m not crazy about Hubbard, although he fills a need. Kind of high to draft a low twitch DE. If the Bengals had a better LB coach Jefferson could be a steal. Too bad Haslett is not regarded highly across the league. The first true head scratcher was Walton. An undersized, mediocre athlete with injury issues? There were better backs available, and far later than Walton.

Bottom line is the team did not improve the right side of the o line, did not significantly improve the D line, and did not improve the LB corps enough. Weak points will continue to be weak points.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I usually get excited about every draft we have, even the year we took Ced and Fisher. This draft however is a complete shit show with the exception of maybe 2 players. Every player we had on that joke of an Oline is garbage and to sit here and think a new position coach is going to make these guys better is just wishful thinking. This is the mindset that kills this team. So they played ok for 2 games, great lets resign Marvin and hang our hat on Glenn and 1 damn pick who could very well be a bust or not even ready for the season. I'm seeing names thrown around like Redmond and Hart to fix positions...please stop
Reply/Quote
I don't know. It just happened. I'm glad we got a first round Center who wants to be here, however. I'm willing to grade 2015. That gets an F.
Reply/Quote