GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
C+
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: iTvsUP.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:50 PM)scottyd33 Wrote: Honestly I’ll give it a C. We did get some decent players but not difference makers. This is not a win now draft. This is a 2 years from now maybe some of these guys develop draft. We should have moved around and gotten guys that can contribute right away. Instead we traded back to pick guys on our board and players who fell when we should have been moving around to get players that can contribute to this team now. Philly who just won the Super Bowl used this draft to get even better.

Instead of picking up a bunch of cb’s why were these not o-line picks? I’m sorry but the best way to help out your defense is for the offense to be able to stay on the field. We had the worst o-line in the league and we only added a center and LT. NOBODY’s job should be safe on this o-line! If Glenn does go down we are screwed again at tackle. We can’t carry 9 db’s which means we know we are going to cut or add these guys to the practice squad. This should have been the plan for the o-line instead. Bring in as much competition as we can at the biggest need on this team.

Defense would not have been as bad last year if they didn’t have the snap count they did. We didn’t need a running back in the 4th. Mixon, Gio, and Hill are good enough to handle the load. Especially if they were running behind a new o-line that actually knew how to block.

I’m sorry but outside of free agency which I thought they did a nice job and the selection of Price in the first I don’t see how this draft helped make this team better this year or next. We are wasting the talent we have on the team now by not making moves to help this team win now.
Honestly outside of Price and Bates(needs)the other picks should be based on what they are planning to do with current roster players.

Johnson, Williams, LBs, the other CBs.  Positional changes, depth, and salary dumps are probably what those amount to.

I am with you about O-Line.  They probably should've picked another to compete/replace with the bunch.

Hopefully Hubbard isn't insurance for not re-signing Dunlap.  We need to keep Carlos.

People in this thread who aren't seeing the value in replacing the worst positional coach in our area of weakness just aren't being realistic.

If that O-line gets whipped into shape and our RBs are getting proper blocking it'll make a world of difference.

Price should be fine.  It's not like we're taking some 3-4 rounder.  He is intelligent and can read defenses/make line calls/and aggressively block beyond LOS.

Chill people.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
All people care about is if the Bengals picked who they mocked or wanted. If the Bengals picked different they it's a bad pick even though they've never heard of the player and know nothing about them.

It's hilarious that people think they actually know more then people who's entire day is spent going over every player. People still act like every pick is going to be/should be starter. How many years of the draft do we have to have before people realize most of it is complete luck and a crap shoot of who gets randomly hurt, doesnt do well in a scheme, doesnt respond well to coaching, or the 1000 other variables that go into a player not panning out. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Honestly outside of Price and Bates(needs)the other picks should be based on what they are planning to do with current roster players.

Johnson, Williams, LBs, the other CBs.  Positional changes, depth, and salary dumps are probably what those amount to.

I am with you about O-Line.  They probably should've picked another to compete/replace with the bunch.

Hopefully Hubbard isn't insurance for not re-signing Dunlap.  We need to keep Carlos.

People in this thread who aren't seeing the value in replacing the worst positional coach in our area of weakness just aren't being realistic.

If that O-line gets whipped into shape and our RBs are getting proper blocking it'll make a world of difference.

Price should be fine.  It's not like we're taking some 3-4 rounder.  He is intelligent and can read defenses/make line calls/and aggressively block beyond LOS.

Chill people.

I agree. Although I would have loved to have picked another decent O Lineman, I think they are drafting to their plans. I won't even try to act like I know football talent like these guys do. Well, maybe Marvin but not the other guys. LOL...

Reply/Quote
I'll give it a C. The only players I really see contributing this year are Price and Bates. Price will be our starting center while Bates will play that third playmaking safety that Austin wants to use. Other than that I think everyone else will be role players at best.

I know there are a lot of Ohio State fans here but I really think Hubbar will be a 5 sack a year guy. He wont beat out Lawson or Willis. My biggest head scratcher were those two corners. Neither will be better than Dennard in the slot and it scares me to think Dennard might be allowed to walk for one of them.

Logan Woodside was the best pick they made on Day 3 in my opinion.

I feel like this was a weird draft. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just kinda 'meh' about it. Not excited or disappointed.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:13 PM)Sweetness Wrote: All people care about is if the Bengals picked who they mocked or wanted. If the Bengals picked different they it's a bad pick even though they've never heard of the player and know nothing about them.

Meh, I don't think that's the case at all. I feel most on here were interested in fixing problem issues regardless of who it was. Of course they didnt want a garbage fill but you get what I'm saying. I think its more about position than player.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Meh, I don't think that's the case at all. I feel most on here were interested in fixing problem issues regardless of who it was. Of course they didnt want a garbage fill but you get what I'm saying. I think its more about position than player.

Again, they think we should have picked the guy they wanted. 
Reply/Quote
My grade for this draft would be B-. I'm pretty butthurt about not addressing the OL like I hoped they would, but that's personal. We may look back in a year or two and say this could have been one of the best we've had in years. Seriously, it's possible.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:17 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Again, they think we should have picked the guy they wanted. 

Yeah, I guess so.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Honestly outside of Price and Bates(needs)the other picks should be based on what they are planning to do with current roster players.

Chill people.

There is some truth here...but a lot of people are relying to heavily on coaching for what is on the roster. There is a lot of truth in what piano man said about not being able to coach players. With how much the nfl has schrinked the practice time these coaches get it is hard to coach them up. They have to look for guys in the draft that have already learned some technique. One of the commentators that was on ESPN that was a former o-line great for the giants a few years back was talking about it Thursday morning when they were discussing K Miller for UCLA. He said there is no more 2 a days and they don’t get to practice anymore. He said that’s why college guys can be great and it doesn’t translate to the nfl. The coaches don’t have the time they need anymore to teach technique to the players. He said the players have to take it upon themselves in the offseason on their own to try and really learn better technique because the coaches aren’t given the time.
Reply/Quote
I think this has been a really good draft. A couple guys I didnt know much about were Harris and Walton, but both of them really seem to be solid players with big upside. I was kind of shocked to see how much Harris stood out on the field watching his highlight reels.

In an idea world we would've drafted a RT, but it just goes to show that this years draft was very weak at OT. Pollack probably didnt see anyone who had a great shot at being what he wants. Honestly with his coaching our guys are liable to discover skills they never knew they had. I'm not even giving up on CedO now that Pollack is here. I was under the impression when we drafted him that he was a developmental pick, meaning it would be 2-3 years before he started to come into his own, which is why I didnt like the pick. With some real coaching, maybe he will surprise us this season. There will also be plenty of FA left to be had post-draft to maybe add some depth. I do like the Rod Taylor pick tho. I like that pick a lot.

Teryl Austin is getting his guys. I was shocked we went so hard at D, but now that its all settled down, I can clearly see why. We have a new DC and he specializes in secondary, and he is getting his guys. We gave up WAY too many big plays last year, and we definitely need some depth and competition back there. All of the guys we got have potential to make an impact on the D and ST right away and will definitely push the guys we have. Gotta love that.

With Price, Walton and Taylor, I see a big commitment to the run game in those picks, and it cannot be said enough how important a quality C is. We may have just got a future Pro Bowl C. Price is a mauler and excels in run blocking. I love that. This is how I think we start to win playoff games. A very stout D, and a great run game enhanced by our playmakers at WR/TE. This draft was a good step in that direction.

**A** for sure
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are 4 right tackle prospects on roster right now
Fisher
Ced
Boling
Hart

And to me, everyone of them are backup quality.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:13 PM)Sweetness Wrote: All people care about is if the Bengals picked who they mocked or wanted. If the Bengals picked different they it's a bad pick even though they've never heard of the player and know nothing about them.

It's hilarious that people think they actually know more then people who's entire day is spent going over every player. People still act like every pick is going to be/should be starter. How many years of the draft do we have to have before people realize most of it is complete luck and a crap shoot of who gets randomly hurt, doesnt do well in a scheme, or doesnt respond well to coaching, or the 1000 otger variables that go into a player not panning out. 

The voice of reason...

It’s funny to me people think other team are pulling 5-7 starters every year. Just doesn’t happen. If you get 2-3 and some role players out of a draft that’s a success.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:30 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: And to me, everyone of them are backup quality.

Boling is backup quality? Seriously?

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This was before Pollack was here crybaby. Cry

Just to clarify to many on here, Pollack is not God. Hearing his praise post after post is wearing thin.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Although I would have loved to have picked another decent O Lineman, I think they are drafting to their plans. I won't even try to act like I know football talent like these guys do. Well, maybe Marvin but not the other guys. LOL...

Their plan must involve sitting on the couch in January because the right side of the line is still garbage, and the team did not appreciably upgrade the d line. Instead, the team got more candidates to battle out for 5th/6th DB and a wasted 4th rounder on a RB who is both smallish and slow.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The voice of reason...

It’s funny to me people think other team are pulling 5-7 starters every year. Just doesn’t happen. If you get 2-3 and some role players out of a draft that’s a success.

Problem is when you don’t consistently use FA to land quality players a team has to hit on more draft picks. When the Bengals miss on drafts it decimated the depth chart.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:21 PM)scottyd33 Wrote: There is some truth here...but a lot of people are relying to heavily on coaching for what is on the roster. There is a lot of truth in what piano man said about not being able to coach players. With how much the nfl has schrinked the practice time these coaches get it is hard to coach them up. They have to look for guys in the draft that have already learned some technique. One of the commentators that was on ESPN that was a former o-line great for the giants a few years back was talking about it Thursday morning when they were discussing K Miller for UCLA. He said there is no more 2 a days and they don’t get to practice anymore. He said that’s why college guys can be great and it doesn’t translate to the nfl. The coaches don’t have the time they need anymore to teach technique to the players. He said the players have to take it upon themselves in the offseason on their own to try and really learn better technique because the coaches aren’t given the time.
I get that...  but what if Price is like Fredrick and a day one starter type talent that fits the coach's scheme?

Dallas got slammed for grabbing him that high by "experts".

Not to say it will be the same...  but you can't refute it either.

Piano man.  Pffft.  He said ol' Ogbuehi was top notch well coached player that could play any spot on the line.  How did that work out?

I'm not arguing here. 

If Cedric O, and that's a big IF, can be salvaged to contribute even in rotation it will be a tell-tale sign that Alexander was right but didn't have abilities to prepare his players.

I'm skeptical though.  I think he's a bust from what I've seen.  That's under bad to no tutelage by Paul A.

At this point we have no clue though.  We haven't seen a different coach there in decades.  Pray
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:38 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Problem is when you don’t consistently use FA to land quality players a team has to hit on more draft picks. When the Bengals miss on drafts it decimated the depth chart.

They did use FA this offseason though...

Reply/Quote