Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
(04-28-2018, 06:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I usually get excited about every draft we have, even the year we took Ced and Fisher. This draft however is a complete shit show with the exception of maybe 2 players. Every player we had on that joke of an Oline is garbage and to sit here and think a new position coach is going to make these guys better is just wishful thinking. This is the mindset that kills this team. So they played ok for 2 games, great lets resign Marvin and hang our hat on Glenn and 1 damn pick who could very well be a bust or not even ready for the season. I'm seeing names thrown around like Redmond and Hart to fix positions...please stop

Boling is far from garbage and you’re showing your ignorance if you think he is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I with a lot of the people that wanted to see another O-lineman or two taken, but it was just a really bad year to need a tackle.
Reply/Quote
I give this thread an F because everyone either thinks our picks are the second coming of Christ or pure garbage players who are backups.

Its the Sybil of threads..

wait I give this thread an A+

No an F

A+

F

A+

F

I really think...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This was before Pollack was here crybaby. Cry

How does Pollack make them better? Seriously.

While we are at it we were 30th against the run last year. 30th. What did we do to improve that? We never drafted a starting player to address it.

The LB won’t start and the DT might make a practice squad. Granted we were horrible at running the ball so we needed to reach for a center but we never drafted an offensive guard or tackle either. We let people like Connor Williams and Orlando Brown slide by. I seriously don’t get it.
Look at the horrible defensive line fodder Tobin has us drafting. It’s been abysmal. We got lucky with Geno years ago and whiffed since.
Reply/Quote
Overall, this draft is a B.

We drafted for immediate need which is great! Which is what we pretty much always wanted. Rookies starting from day 1 is another issue, judging from this organization's track record.

This year, it seems like we drafted for targeted impact players in the high need areas, but was always beaten to the punch 1 or 2 spots before our pick, every round. So we got the second best C (which I definitely can live with), The second best Tier 2 ball hawking CF free safety, other teams sniping a possible Tier 2-3 OL man before our pick. I could tell because of that cringe feeling I get when I see a possible target get selected a couple of spots right before our selection.

In terms of steals, I didn't feel like we had any this year. We picked guys exactly where they were slotted. (Hubbard, was not a steal despite what has been written by draft experts.)

We have so many 7th rounders that might not even make the team. Quality is better than quantity. We really have to package our low round picks better to move up and get the guys we really want.

My favorite pick is Price. He seemed to be the best run blocker of the 3 top centers, the quality that I prioritize the most.

So in summary. I wish the Bengals did better draft prep in terms of other teams predictions, were more active in packaging and trading up and even trading down. (Was really hoping the team would play around a lot in rounds 2,3, and 4.) Good job drafting to cover up obvious weakness with solid safe picks. B

Go Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 05:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are 4 right tackle prospects on roster right now
Fisher
Ced
Boling
Hart

Fisher, Hart and Perkins are the real RT candidates. Ogbuehi will back up Glenn and Boling is staying put at LG.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:48 PM)kevin Wrote: Those saying F and D, get a grip.

Bengals needed O Line and Defense.  They started by adding Buffalo Bills LT and LB.  In Draft they got Center for O Line.  Then on Defense Safety, Defensive Line, Linebacker. Then last day Running Back in 4.  A CB/Safety, a D Lineman, and a Kick Returner Star in College who played CB and WR, all in Round 5.  

I don't like to give grades to drafts, but since people are throwing F and D up here, I will say B for Bengals because we drafted top players at our weakest positions.  We had no Blocking or Tackling. We addressed that in Free Agency and the Draft.  F your F's because you don't know names of players in draft.  I grade it B FOR BENGALS.

I give this draft a B as most of these guys will not be starters.However,the ravens have picked the best of the best,they really know what they are doing and I can easily see them winning the division this season.They are simply ballling out.I love most of all their picks but I also know we have to play them twice and its going to be really hard.Like I have been saying I still think our biggest weakness is our qb.enough said,and oh yea, Marvin will screw up games again as he has a negative impact on the team.He should allow the DC to call the games and stay away.I hate that he is still the main coach on the sidelines.I like Marvin,he is a good pick of talent.I think the reason they are picking so many defensive guys is they know its going to be a long season.I am not sold on this staff just yet.They have to prove to me they are the real deal.Meanwhile the steelers and the ravens and the brownies just got a whole lot better.The talent the ravens is picking up is insane,they are really really good at getting players we just pass on.We need a real scouting department.I see us at 7 wins 9 losts or at best 8 and 8.Marvin will destroy this teams chances of a winning season,him and andy.Just my thoughts folks and I have been a bengals fan with season tickets since 1968. A long long time and I am 72 years young.I so hope I am wrong and I like a lot of these drafties.Lets hope someone in this staff can motivate all of them.We are in the toughest division and the browns are going to win a lot of games.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 06:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I usually get excited about every draft we have, even the year we took Ced and Fisher. This draft however is a complete shit show with the exception of maybe 2 players. Every player we had on that joke of an Oline is garbage and to sit here and think a new position coach is going to make these guys better is just wishful thinking. This is the mindset that kills this team. So they played ok for 2 games, great lets resign Marvin and hang our hat on Glenn and 1 damn pick who could very well be a bust or not even ready for the season. I'm seeing names thrown around like Redmond and Hart to fix positions...please stop

Take your own advice. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:03 PM)yang Wrote: How does Pollack make them better?  Seriously.  

Your opinion stopped being relevant at the exact moment you finished typing this sentence.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sold on Price?

Troll on my man

Here is PFF one of the most respected sources for the draft. Latham loves to quote them. They have Price the 10 rated center. He tends to lunge at people and fall on his ass. Stop acting like he is the next coming. Last week on this forum NO ONE wanted him in the first round and everyone would have been okay if we got him in the second.

Cognitive Dissonance is a powerful thing. People are so tribal they will accept any player that jacks his girlfriend in the face with no questions.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-interior-ol-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: Your opinion stopped being relevant at the exact moment you finished typing this sentence.

Oh, so he makes the taller? Faster? Smarter? Why doesn’t he just grab people off the street. Give me a break. He can only do so much. He calls plays, they have to perform. If was this amazing coach why did Dallas fire him?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:11 PM)yang Wrote: Oh and we get let the homers have a circle jerk over whoever they draft and ignore the obvious. I’m sure you think every draft is an A and we are winning the super bowl. Grow up.

We got one starter out of this mess, Price. I’m not even sold on him. How can you think we are improved? Seriously. How does that get us past 7 wins? A rookie center?

So you think Fisher and Westerman and Price is a competitive NFL line? Really? Lol

We are idiots cause we disagree with a Franchise that can't seem to get it right. Everyone will come back down to earth when Mixon is averaging 2.2 yards a carry and Matt Barkley is Starting at QB. Joke of a draft, Price will be the only starter ( if healthy ) because Bodine is gone. Other than Price there is not a single player our starters need to worry about. Pretty bad considering.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote:  Marvin will screw up games again as he has a negative impact on the team.He should allow the DC to call the games and stay away.I hate that he is still the main coach on the sidelines.I like Marvin

Hilarious

Sometimes ppl just dont think things all the way through before they type.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:31 PM)yang Wrote: Oh, so he makes the taller? Faster? Smarter? Why doesn’t he just grab people off the street. Give me a break. He can only do so much. He calls plays, they have to perform. If was this amazing coach why did Dallas fire him?

Do you even watch the games? Did you not notice a huge difference when Lazor took over the schemes at the end of the season? Coaching makes a huge difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I would have to give it a B-. That being said, the Bengals got some good value picks and addressed a couple of needs. I graded a bit low as some of the picks need to be "coached up" to have an impact. I like this draft, although it was not "sexy."  The Billy Price selection was spot on. The Bengals addressed the number one need with the best center available. Reason to be excited about Billy Price? Price moved over from his three-year stint at guard to the very important center position, and the offense did not skip a beat. Urban Meyer is borderline obsessed with having an elite center and all Price did was win the Rimington Trophy during his one and only season at the position.

Not that I wish injury to any person but, if Price had not partially torn his pec, the Bengals would never have had a shot at drafting him. Considering Ragnow was gone by the time the Bengals picked consider the situation they would have been. My only concern, please don't rush him back too early from his surgery.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:31 PM)yang Wrote: Oh, so he makes the taller?  Faster?  Smarter?    Why doesn’t he just grab people off the street.   Give me a break.  He can only do so much.  He calls plays, they have to perform.   If was this amazing coach why did Dallas fire him?

Because all coaches coach exactly the same? Bill Belicheck will coach exactly the same way as Dave Shula...and get the same results out of the same group of players? Again, your not helping yourself here. 
Reply/Quote
Now now children. People are allowed to be less than thrilled by our draft...Just as others are allowed to believe every pick is amaze-balls. Let's all keep it civil, mmkay?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I’ll give it a C. We did get some decent players but not difference makers. This is not a win now draft. This is a 2 years from now maybe some of these guys develop draft. We should have moved around and gotten guys that can contribute right away. Instead we traded back to pick guys on our board and players who fell when we should have been moving around to get players that can contribute to this team now. Philly who just won the Super Bowl used this draft to get even better.

Instead of picking up a bunch of cb’s why were these not o-line picks? I’m sorry but the best way to help out your defense is for the offense to be able to stay on the field. We had the worst o-line in the league and we only added a center and LT. NOBODY’s job should be safe on this o-line! If Glenn does go down we are screwed again at tackle. We can’t carry 9 db’s which means we know we are going to cut or add these guys to the practice squad. This should have been the plan for the o-line instead. Bring in as much competition as we can at the biggest need on this team.

Defense would not have been as bad last year if they didn’t have the snap count they did. We didn’t need a running back in the 4th. Mixon, Gio, and Hill are good enough to handle the load. Especially if they were running behind a new o-line that actually knew how to block.

I’m sorry but outside of free agency which I thought they did a nice job and the selection of Price in the first I don’t see how this draft helped make this team better this year or next. We are wasting the talent we have on the team now by not making moves to help this team win now.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:50 PM)scottyd33 Wrote: Instead of picking up a bunch of cb’s why were these not o-line picks?

Because this draft class was weak for OL. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 07:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because this draft class was weak for OL. 

Are the cb’s any less developmental than o-line would have been? I would much rather prefer the competition at o-line than cb. Even more reason to move up in the draft with the extra picks and get the better o-line talent that was available. I would have preferred 5 picks in this draft compared to the 11. Safety, linebacker, and the rest o-line compared to the hope we can develop these guys draft we just had.
Reply/Quote