Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP Convention Thread
(07-19-2016, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All political convention speeches sound a lot alike to me.

I don't see the big deal about the third Mrs Trump using the same pap that Michelle did.

Politically...not a big deal at all.

It's just hilarious.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-19-2016, 08:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The BBC covered it pretty well: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36832095?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

The Tweet in there about if you had done that as an undergrad you would have been expelled is very correct. Most honor codes would have called for at the least suspension for that.

But, since plagiarism has been pointed out before by people on the political stage and their followers have tried to dismiss it as nothing to be concerned about, I see nothing that will come from this.

She should have just said "ibid" a couple of times and it would have been no big deal.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-19-2016, 10:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah that wouldn't have been legal in most states til last year.

I haven't cheeked, but it probably wasn't legal to marry a person of a different race in Arkansas until recently.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-19-2016, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All political convention speeches sound a lot alike to me.

I don't see the big deal about the third Mrs Trump using the same pap that Michelle did.

You're going to have similar themes in speeches when the rhetoric is all basically the same. The problem is that in this case the structure really raises red flags. Well, if you're concerned about these sorts of things.

To me this speaks to the person's integrity. Even though she isn't the one running for office, the First Lady (or First Spouse or whatever they will call it if Clinton wins) is also considered a leader in their own ways and so this does not look good to me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-19-2016, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're going to have similar themes in speeches when the rhetoric is all basically the same. The problem is that in this case the structure really raises red flags. Well, if you're concerned about these sorts of things.

To me this speaks to the person's integrity. Even though she isn't the one running for office, the First Lady (or First Spouse or whatever they will call it if Clinton wins) is also considered a leader in their own ways and so this does not look good to me.

As opposed to the integrity of Clinton's spouse? The lady speaks 5 languages, she most likely told a writer what she wanted to express and this is the words that were chosen.

It amazes me as to the things folks will point to.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-19-2016, 01:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're going to have similar themes in speeches when the rhetoric is all basically the same. The problem is that in this case the structure really raises red flags. Well, if you're concerned about these sorts of things.

And the Trump campaign's response is just as bad.

It's just comedy gold...and we're just getting started this week! 
(07-19-2016, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As opposed to the integrity of Clinton's spouse? The lady speaks 5 languages, she most likely told a writer what she wanted to express and this is the words that were chosen.

In defense of Melania, she is not used to talking very much. She should have played to her strength by keeping her mouth shut and showing her tits.
(07-19-2016, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As opposed to the integrity of Clinton's spouse? The lady speaks 5 languages, she most likely told a writer what she wanted to express and this is the words that were chosen.

I don't care if she can speak 100 languages, if you want to stay in America you need to speak English so we Americans can all understand.
(07-19-2016, 02:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't care if she can speak 100 languages, if you want to stay in America you need to speak English so we Americans can all understand.

Did you not understand what she said last night?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Exactly!

Like the video where she said she wrote it herself with as little help as possible!

Dman writers put words in her mouth!!!11!!!1!!

Wait....
(07-19-2016, 02:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you not understand what she said last night?

Well it was easy since we heard it all before....
(07-19-2016, 02:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you not understand what she said last night?

I understood it better when Michelle Obama said it.

I'm sorry, are you confusing me with someone that thinks the Clintons have integrity? Whether she wrote it or someone else did it makes the campaign lose integrity.

I like to have leaders with high ethical standards. I don't think that is too much to ask. Maybe I'm in the minority.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Melania told NBC last night that she wrote it with as little help as possible. Today the Trump campaign said that a group of speech writers wrote it based on what she told them.

Either way, someone messed up big time. They lifted a whole paragraph nearly word for word and tried to pass it off as her own original thought. Expect firings. Not of the original speech writer, of course, because Michelle Obama isn't employed by the Trump campaign. but someone else will be fired.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-19-2016, 02:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Melania told NBC last night that she wrote it with as little help as possible. Today the Trump campaign said that a group of speech writers wrote it based on what she told them.

Either way, someone messed up big time. They lifted a whole paragraph nearly word for word and tried to pass it off as her own original thought. Expect firings. Not of the original speech writer, of course, because Michelle Obama isn't employed by the Trump campaign. but someone else will be fired.

As little help as possible doesn't have any measurable standard, so they could have written everything after she said her name. Tongue  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-19-2016, 02:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm sorry, are you confusing me with someone that thinks the Clintons have integrity? Whether she wrote it or someone else did it makes the campaign lose integrity.

I like to have leaders with high ethical standards. I don't think that is too much to ask. Maybe I'm in the minority.

This is the internet...any assertion that a politician isn't awesome will be met with assumptions that you are a brainwashed follower of the political party he ain't.

Though this makes sense...I mean, how could anyone but the most idiotic, one-sided, and closed-minded manage to find anything to dislike about Donald Trump!?
(07-19-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In defense of Melania, she is not used to talking very much. She should have played to her strength by keeping her mouth shut and showing her tits.

I have absolutely no argument against this.
(07-19-2016, 04:02 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I have absolutely no argument against this.

I have absolutely no argument against this.

Mellow
Saw this on reddit. Thought about showing my wife but knew rather than laugh at it like me she would have been pissed off and I would have heard about it all night.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/19/12222276/melania-trump-plagarism-clinton-rnc?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

(07-19-2016, 04:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Saw this on reddit. Thought about showing my wife but knew rather than laugh at it like me she would have been pissed off and I would have heard about it all night.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/19/12222276/melania-trump-plagarism-clinton-rnc?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Yeah, that was by 9 am this morning.

However I think it's time to change topics.

We need to discuss Scott Baio's plans for America.

What would Charles do if he were still in charge?