Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Gashed by scrubs
Why would we give mixon 25 rushing attempts when we can’t run the ball?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Geez Tony, lighten up man. This team can turn it around. If you think this is bad, you clearly haven't been a Bengals fan long.

Being 5-4 in the middle of a season is pretty great for us poor bastids lol

The truth is, we have been 5-4 the last couple of years and we made it to the AFC Championship both times and a Super Bowl.

The Defense will take this game as an insult as they should, it was a pathetic performance, it happens.

I think part of the problem with our Bengals fandom is that we have yet to end a season with a SuperBowl championship. No matter how bad the Reds do, I have such good memories of the being a Reds fan because of the three seasons that I witnessed them end the year as the World Series Champion. Those memories overwhelm the lost years. 

As far as Bengals fandom, there are moments of great joy, such as the wins over KC two years ago, but the fact that the Bengals didn't win at the end colors the memories. In fact, the three Super Bowl losses I witnessed are just painful memories. The Bengals need a couple of Super Bowl championships to overwhelm the tough years and tough losses.
Reply/Quote
There's plenty of blame to go around on this one. But the Texans really really played well also.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 08:56 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Why would we give mixon 25 rushing attempts when we can’t run the ball?

We actually can. When we run between the tackles and under center we do well. Instead ZT insists on majority shotgun runs and typically stupid toss plays. It’s the scheme more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 09:37 AM)Goalpost Wrote: There's plenty of blame to go around on this one. But the Texans really really played well also.

Yep. We definitely had a let down, but this Texans team blew out the Jaguars and Steelers as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: lol. I wasn't even going to post this week with all the shit talkers certain to come out of the woodwork...but what the **** is wrong with your brain? Did you get a TBI at some point in the last couple years and didn't share the info, because you're really posting some dumb shit the last couple seasons and i was under the impression that you were an educated, intelligent man.

Fix your shit, dude.

I gave you positive rep for this. It took guts to write; I admire that.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:53 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I gave you positive rep for this.  It took guts to write; I admire that.

I appreciate it but i'd prefer you post like you used to and not let emotion in the moment overcome you *like some 14 y/o Taylor Swift fangirl who just saw her live for the first time.

*general description of anyone who loses their mind at the first sign of a single loss.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 09:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We actually can. When we run between the tackles and under center we do well. Instead ZT insists on majority shotgun runs and typically stupid toss plays. It’s the scheme more than anything.

I understand that there is something you have seen that leads you to believe this, but almost everything you have said in this post is wrong. Cincinnati is averaging four yards per carry when they run from shotgun and 1.9 yards per carry when they run from under center. Cincinnati does very well between the tackles but has also found quite a bit of success going wide left, averaging 4.5 yards per carry. It's the right side that does pretty poorly. The toss play doesn't work, yes, but they have had some other runs go wide that found success. 

Shotgun runs, on average, are more efficient than under center runs. However, the benefit of under center runs is all of the different looks you can show out of it. Just as a point, Cincinnati has averaged 4.3 yards per carry in shotgun and 3.7 under center since 2010. You want to marry the two, though. The first part of the season, they weren't, but it has been better since then. 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 06:31 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Which proves they are nothing more than an average team. Better teams don't lose games they should win especially when that team has 8 players out/ injured.

Not true. Average teams beat better teams all the time in this league. You better be ready for every game and that's awfully difficult to do. It's all about systems/hot teams/ hot players that prey on your vulnerabilities and weaknesses. You'll find out everything you want to know about the Bengals come thursday night.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I appreciate it but i'd prefer you post like you used to and not let emotion in the moment overcome you *like some 14 y/o Taylor Swift fangirl who just saw her live for the first time.

*general description of anyone who loses their mind at the first sign of a single loss.

That’s funny — but for the record I think Taylor Swift is even more overrated than the Houston Texans. I hate her music, her smarmy attitude, and she doesn’t sing. She caterwauls. On the positive side Taylor Swift’s dalliance with Travis Kelce gives me yet another reason to loathe the Chiefs.

As for the emotion, well, yes I am a physicist which is an emotionless profession but I’m also Italian which is a very emotional ethnicity. With Italians there is no in-between. We either love you or we want to whack you.

Maybe you’re right — which is why I didn’t get upset when you told me off and told me to, “Fix my shit.” My posts haven’t been as cerebral or analytical and I admit it — but I’m upset. I’m frustrated with ineffective coaching, questionable play calling, and the reliance on Joe Burrow to be Superman to win games for the Bengals.

When the defense gets gashed for 188 yards on the ground, I get angry. When the offense can’t run the ball, it upsets me. This roster is too loaded on both sides of the ball to struggle against a mediocre team like Houston.

Out of respect for you I will try to post like I used to. If you’re upset with me I suspect you’re not alone. I assure you I’m the same person I was years ago.

Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 09:15 AM)Nepa Wrote: I think part of the problem with our Bengals fandom is that we have yet to end a season with a SuperBowl championship. No matter how bad the Reds do, I have such good memories of the being a Reds fan because of the three seasons that I witnessed them end the year as the World Series Champion. Those memories overwhelm the lost years. 

As far as Bengals fandom, there are moments of great joy, such as the wins over KC two years ago, but the fact that the Bengals didn't win at the end colors the memories. In fact, the three Super Bowl losses I witnessed are just painful memories. The Bengals need a couple of Super Bowl championships to overwhelm the tough years and tough losses.

Good post and writing. I too, remember those Reds teams of 75,76 and 90 and watching them dominate. Still warm feelings from those years of winning it all. Exactly, the three SB losses are painful memories when they were so close all 3 times. The Bengals need a SB win to sooth the tough feelings from the losses. That's why some of my posts and comments seem short and critical of the team when my inner self feels that 55 years is enough to have a SB win or two. But, life goes on as they say.   Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 08:56 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Why would we give mixon 25 rushing attempts when we can’t run the ball?

I just don't get why we refuse to get other running backs involved. I love to see Evans get a chance at some of those short passes and see what he can do with them. Even if it's making one guy miss and picking up a few extra yards.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:37 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't think they're guys are scrubs. They have a good receiving core. Again they're run success is what really shocked me. I thought we would hold that in check while I was expecting they're passing attack to give us fits.

To me we lost the game because of our stretch of conservative play calling. We were throwing passes at line of scrimmage and they were crashing down hard. I get not wanting to over use Chase but he looked fine to me. Use him downfield and try and get some DPIs.

He's not saying their team is a bunch of scrubs.  They were missing quite a few starters and still kicked our ass with backups.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face, Chase should never be under double digit targets in any game. He only had 6 today and big surprise we lost and the offense couldn’t do shit for long stretches. Dude is just too good to underutilize like that.

I feel the same way. I get we might have been trying to limit his touches and use him as a decoy. But we spent way too long trying to figure that out. We can't have long stretches like that of throwing under neath. Throw it deep to Chase who seemed to be moving just fine and put some stress on the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 06:27 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Giving up 150+ to Noah Brown and 120+ to Singletary is embarrassing.  Burrow played subpar today, the Boyd drop was a killer.  Abandoned the run game again.  Oh well, on to Baltimore.

While I wouldn't call Brown and Singletary "good," I wouldn't necessarily call them "scrubs" either.
Brown put up 555 yards last year in Dallas. He was a starter. He's a WR3 kinda guy.
Singletary, while never a bell cow, has been a solid RB in his career up to this year. Over 4000 yards from scrimmage in his 4 years in BUF. Not bad for being in a RBBC. 4.7 YPC in BUF.

With that said, those guys should have never hit 120+ yards. Shouldn't have even his 100+.
They are more like 50-75 yards in a game guys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
One day folks will quit celebrating the idea of having to play backups.... That backup oline played better than all the lines we've had the last decade.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 08:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: One day folks will quit celebrating the idea of having to play backups.... That backup oline played better than all the lines we've had the last decade.

Stroud was under pressure on 31% of dropbacks yesterday. This season, Burrow has been under pressure on 30% of dropbacks. Last season it was 27%. The backup line did well, but Stroud also made very impressive plays with his feet to buy time.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 09:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Stroud was under pressure on 31% of dropbacks yesterday. This season, Burrow has been under pressure on 30% of dropbacks. Last season it was 27%. The backup line did well, but Stroud also made very impressive plays with his feet to buy time.

Plus Tunsil was the main story. He’s a top 5 LT, and Trey couldn’t do shit against him yesterday.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 09:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Stroud was under pressure on 31% of dropbacks yesterday. This season, Burrow has been under pressure on 30% of dropbacks. Last season it was 27%. The backup line did well, but Stroud also made very impressive plays with his feet to buy time.

Not arguing just curious, does the pressure stat track week to week? I’d be interested to see the rates of Burrow’s pressure as he’s now begun to hold the ball longer and throw deeper routes whereas earlier he was just getting the ball out right away because he was hurt.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I feel the same way. I get we might have been trying to limit his touches and use him as a decoy. But we spent way too long trying to figure that out. We can't have long stretches like that of throwing under neath. Throw it deep to Chase who seemed to be moving just fine and put some stress on the defense.

Just seemed like for the large periods of time where our offense was an instant 3 and out it was all check-downs that the Texans stuffed without hardly any gain. And we didn’t even make an effort to go downfield at all. It simply did not work and we stalled out big time.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote