Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimme your 53
Just a couple of opinions:

The NFL needs a larger roster and/or different practice squad rules which allow for a de-facto larger roster.  
4 pure linebackers is too few to carry unless you have a safety who can stack and shed at a freakish level.
WR, TE, DL, and OL cuts are going to be interesting.    
Reply/Quote
Tonight’s the first preseason action I watched this year - if volson is comparable to what we saw from Carman tonight, that’s really unfortunate for the bengals (and especially burrow and all of the weapons this offense has). I love the bengals every year regardless of their talent & record but was hoping for better across the OL this year given the team around them. I sure hope they prove me wrong
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: QB: Joe Burrow/ Brandan Allen (2)
HB: Joe Mixon/ Samajae Perine/ Chris Evans (3)
TE Hayden Hurst/ Drew Sample/ Mitchell Wilcox (3)
LT Jonah Williams/ Isiah Prince (2)
LG Cordell Volston/ Jackson Carman (2)
C Ted Karras/ Trey Hill (2)
RG Alex Kappa/ Hakeen Adeniji (2)
RT La'el Collins/ D'Ante Smith (2)
WR1 Ja'Marr Chase/ Michael Thomas (2)
WR2 Tee Higgins/ Stanley Morgan (2)
WR3 Tyler Boyd/ Trent Taylor/ Kendric Pryor (3)

O=25

RDE Trey Hendrickson/ Joseph Ossai/ Khalid Kareem (3)
LDE Sam Hubbard/ Jeff Gunther/ Cam Sample (3)
DT DJ Reeder/ Josh Tupou (2)
DT BJ Hill/ Zach Carter (2)
LB1 Logan Wilson/ Akeem Davis-Gather (2)
LB2 Germaine Pratt (1)
LB3 Markus Bailey (1)
CB1 Chidobe Awuzie/ Allan George/ Try Flowers (3)
CB2 Eli Apple/ Cam Taylor-Britt (2)
CB3 (slot) Mike Hilton/ Jalen Davis (2)
S Vonn Bell/ Mike Thomas (2)
SS Jessie Bates/ Dax Hill (2)

D=25

PK Shooter
P Chrisman
LS Clark

ST=3

CTB and Wilcox will revert to IR and Thad Moss and Tycen Anderson will replace

I think Irwin sticks and Pryor goes to PS.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hill backs up the slot corner too which would leave another spot open somewhere else.  They have some tough decisions...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I do not think Moss makes it. He gets called for holding wayyyyyy too much and he dropped an easy one tonight.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:08 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Just a couple of opinions:

The NFL needs a larger roster and/or different practice squad rules which allow for a de-facto larger roster.  
4 pure linebackers is too few to carry unless you have a safety who can stack and shed at a freakish level.
WR, TE, DL, and OL cuts are going to be interesting.    

A couple of years ago the PS could be 10 players all with less than 3 years of service.  It is now 16 and allows for veteran players

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: It's going to be tough for the coaches at WR and defensive backs/safeties.  Trenton Irwin looked great tonight with 9 catches and Tycen Anderson flashed a lot of speed and potential. 

I think that's an anomaly for Irwin in my opinion.

Pryor has a better ceiling/upside for me.

Trent Taylor probably makes it over both because of his special teams abilities(PR).
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I do not think Moss makes it.  He gets called for holding wayyyyyy too much and he dropped an easy one tonight.

I agree.  Moss is probably headed to the Practice Squad.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think that's an anomaly for Irwin in my opinion.

Pryor has a better ceiling/upside for me.

Trent Taylor probably makes it over both because of his special teams abilities(PR).

Oh, yeah. I like Trent Taylor. Sure hands. Intelligent punt returner.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:13 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I think Irwin sticks and Pryor goes to PS.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hill backs up the slot corner too which would leave another spot open somewhere else.  They have some tough decisions...

I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor went PS but doubt Irwin makes the 53 and am not sure if he can go PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Volson looked ok against starters, Carman looked poor against 3rd string gave up on plays and just looked like he didn’t want to be there, how anyone can defend him anymore is laughable. Maybe it’s because he’s from Cincinnati and people want to see a home town kid succeed I don’t know.

Taylor just said we will see about him while talking up Volson so he’s already lost that battle question is now will he even make the 53.

Carman will make the 53 because of his draft status and his ability to also play T.  

Volson should start, but he was far from ok against the Giants.  However, bad against starters>bad against backups.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wasn't there a joke about how Irwin literally "looked like Tarzan and played like Jane"? Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:14 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I do not think Moss makes it.  He gets called for holding wayyyyyy too much and he dropped an easy one tonight.

Moss is tough.  I wouldn't have him in normally, but Wilcox is a fringe roster guy and couldn't stay healthy.  He's a guy I can see surviving initial cuts but getting waived after the Bengals get somebody else off waivers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Until I see Hayden Hurst play I'm not too impressed with our TE group.

That being said I'm not sure if its needed with the Bengals' offense of WRs + pass catching RBs.

It would be nice to see an improvement there though.
Reply/Quote
Burrow, Allen
Mixon, Evans, Perine, WILLIAMS
Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Irwin, Pryor, Taylor
Hurst, Sample, Free Agent
Williams, Collins, Adeniji, T/G Free Agent
Volson, Cappa, Carman, G/C Free Agent
Karras, Hill

Hendrickson, Hubbard, Sample, Ossai, Gunter
Reader, BJ Hill, Carter, DAVIS
Wilson, Pratt, ADJ, Johnston, Scales
Awuzie, Apple, Hilton, Flowers, CTB
Bates, Bell, Dax Hill, Henderson

Mac
Chrisman
Harris

2 open spots, maybe carry Browning so he doesn’t get scooped up (future backup there if they ever fall out of love with Brandon Allen or someone finds and burns the ‘incriminating’ photos of ZT he has secreted away)? Leaves one slot for a post-week 1 signing.
Reply/Quote
After tonight I could see us looking at Trey Hopkins or Quintan Spain as possible guard backup options
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:45 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: After tonight I could see us looking at Trey Hopkins or Quintan Spain as possible guard backup options

As much as I dislike Spain, he is better than Volson and Carman at this point in their careers.  If we are going the free agent route, we should look at someone like Ereck Flowers who graded out 20 points higher than Spain in pass protection.  If not Flowers then someone else who can protect the QB.  Protecting Burrow should be priority #1.  Sign a good pass protecting LG.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:07 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Volson looked ok against starters, Carman looked poor against 3rd string gave up on plays and just looked like he didn’t want to be there, how anyone can defend him anymore is laughable. Maybe it’s because he’s from Cincinnati and people want to see a home town kid succeed I don’t know.

Taylor just said we will see about him while talking up Volson so he’s already lost that battle question is now will he even make the 53.

Blind homerism is the only possible explanation at this point. Volson has looked better despite less expereince and less stiff compettion at the college level, and could have a ton of upside. At the same time, Volson could be another Alex Redmond.

The fact that he's now the starter says more about Carman being a bust then it does Volson being a steal.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:59 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: As much as I dislike Spain, he is better than Volson and Carman at this point in their careers.  If we are going the free agent route, we should look at someone like Ereck Flowers who graded out 20 points higher than Spain in pass protection.  If not Flowers then someone else who can protect the QB.  Protecting Burrow should be priority #1.  Sign a good pass protecting LG.

Something is wrong with Spain that the public doesn't know.

SPain played well enough to be on a roster somewhere. The fact that he's still unsigned and clinging to Cincy like a  exe is a big red flag.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 03:04 PM)J24 Wrote: QB- Burrow, Allen 2
RB- Mixon, Evans, Williams, 3 PS Patrick
OT- Williams, Collins, Smith, Adenji 4
G- Cappa, Volson, Carmen 3
C- Karras, Hill 2
TE- Hurst, Sample, Wilcox PS Moss 3
WR- Chase, Higgins,  Boyd, Taylor, Morgan, Thomas 6 PS Lassiter, Pryor
Offense 23

Defense
3T- Hill, Carter 2
Nose, Reader, Toupou 2
End- Hubbard, Sample, Kareem, Johnson 4 PS Gunther
Edge- Hendrickson, Ossai 2
LB- Wilson, Pratt, ADG,  Bailey,  Johnston 5 PUP- Bachie
SS- Bell, Anderson 2
FS- Bates,  Thomas  2 Pup- Wilson
NB- Hilton, Hill, Davis, 3
BC-Auwzie, Apple, Flowers, CBT, George 5

Defense- 27

K McPherson  1
P-Chrisman 1
LS- Clark 1
SP-3

Biggest Cut - Perine

Johnston and Kareem could be cut for a WR or OT

Biggest  surprise- Raymond Johnson- I think he can win the Nickle  DT role.
Couple of changes after this game 
1.) Irwin makes it as a #7 WR. He stepped up in game 3 plus he has KR/WR ability 

2.)Gunther over Raymond at End.

3.) Carmen will be traded for someone. My guess would be leatherwood  from the Raiders. I would also keep an eye on the Cowboys and Patriots in trade scenarios.

Option  1.) Carmen and a 6th RD pick for Leatherwood and a 7th RD pick (Raiders)
Option 2.) Carmen + a 5th RD pick for Isaiah Wynn(Patriots)
Option 3.) Carmen for Trysten Hill (Cowboys)
(08-27-2022, 05:29 PM)pally Wrote: don't count on that one...from Paul Dehner in The Athletic

An opportunity was put in front of the second-year running back this month. Take a leap and the third-down job could be his. These last two days were his latest opportunity as he got repeated run with the first-team offense, often entering ahead of Samaje Perine.

Evans has been inconsistent. He still shows impressive flashes, most obviously with his strength as a receiver. But overall running the ball and with the area he most needed to take a step in pass protection, he hasn’t quite gotten to the desired level that would force the staff to give him the gig.
It comes down to price for me. Evans will be a lot cheaper than Perine. Also I wouldn't discount Williams in the race for #2 RB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 11:31 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Something is wrong with Spain that the public doesn't know.

SPain played well enough to be on a roster somewhere...

I dont know about that.  The whole world saw how bad the Bengals offensive line was in the Super Bowl and the rest of the playoffs for that matter.  Some Bengals fans can make excuses like they played against good defenses but at some point you have to show you have some type of blocking ability.  The Bengals line was completely outclassed.   Do you think there are any GMs or coaches saying hey, those guys from the Bengals O-line that caused Burrow to get pummeled, I want those guys on our team?
Reply/Quote