Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimme your 53
(08-27-2022, 10:09 PM)bk42 Wrote: Tonight’s the first preseason action I watched this year - if volson is comparable to what we saw from Carman tonight, that’s really unfortunate for the bengals (and especially burrow and all of the weapons this offense has). I love the bengals every year regardless of their talent & record but was hoping for better across the OL this year given the team around them. I sure hope they prove me wrong

They may start slow but I think by game 3-4 they are pretty good. I’m not worried about the run game. Volson can run block well. Karras,Cappa, and Collins are going to make it tons better getting needed yards. I expect we run a lot on Pitt.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:27 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor went PS but doubt Irwin makes the 53 and am not sure if he can go PS.

16 guys can be signed to the PS including 6 veterans with unlimited experience. Trent Irwin can be signed to the squad and likely will be if he clears waivers.

Kevin Huber is the only potential cut who would immediately become a free agent. If he lost the job to Chrisman, I could see the team making that move early, like on Sunday, to give him a better chance of getting signed.

The back half of the WR and LB rooms will be tough. Taylor, Morgan, and Thomas are all key members of the special teams which puts them ahead of Irwin and Pryor. Clay Johnston certainly did enough to be on the roster but did he do enough to jump Bailey, who by all accounts has had a killer camp.
Can they keep 5 LBs or 7 WRs with other roster needs?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 08:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’d go with Browning over Allen but Allen has looked much better tonight. I’d also look for another guard to pick up. Carman is a disaster.

Browning was more consistent threw all three preseason games. Allen had two bad games. 

Browning should win the job since Zac said all camp was a QB competition. I got a feeling no matter how good Browning played he was not beating out Allen cause of bias. It showed by Allen starting every preseason game and Browning was never given the chance to start a game. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:57 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Browning was more consistent threw all three preseason games. Allen had two bad games. 

Browning should win the job since Zac said all camp was a QB competition. I got a feeling no matter how good Browning played he was not beating out Allen cause of bias. It showed by Allen starting every preseason game and Browning was never given the chance to start a game. 
Browning 2nd preseason game showed why they will keep Allen, he was getting pressure and throwing it all over the place a few times. Allen is more trustworthy,  knows the offense better and finished preseason with 11/15 130 yards was accurate and had zip on throws plus continued to have inconsistent line play of penalties, sacks, no running game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great coaches do not have many friends on teams because they have to cut them sooner or later or they retire. They are well respected and loved but hanging out no and letting friendship get in the way of cutting a guy no.
Reply/Quote
Henderson was all over the place I thought. Not sure why I didn't notice him the 1st 2 games. Did he played? Who was the TE who caught the TD? I'm intrigued by him because Munoz pointed out the team talked about him because of his blocking abilities. With the weapons we I'd probably prefer a 3rd TE with blocking > receiving ability.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 11:18 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Blind homerism is the only possible explanation at this point. Volson has looked better despite less expereince and less stiff compettion at the college level, and could have a ton of upside. At the same time, Volson could be another Alex Redmond.

The fact that he's now the starter says more about Carman being a bust then it does Volson being a steal.

It can't be that Carman was a reach and Volson was a very good pick?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 07:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Browning 2nd preseason game showed why they will keep Allen, he was getting pressure and throwing it all over the place a few times. Allen is more trustworthy,  knows the offense better and finished preseason with 11/15 130 yards was accurate and had zip on throws plus continued to have inconsistent line play of penalties,  sacks, no running game.

FWIW....From Jay Morrison in The Athletic.  He ultimately went with Allen because of his game experience
Analysis: With local product and feel-good story of the preseason Drew Plitt released a few days ago, this one felt academic going into Saturday. But for the third time in three games, Jake Browning outplayed Brandon Allen and staked his claim to the backup job (although Allen left the opener after one series to be evaluated for a concussion).

After the game, The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. asked Taylor if Allen is the backup, and the coach gave a 49-word answer, none of which were “yes.”

“Those guys have competed all training camp,” Taylor said. “We’ve got a lot of confidence in Brandon. He’s got years in the system. He does a really good job operating our team. I think both of those guys have done a nice job, done what we needed them to do.”

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 08:46 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Great coaches do not have many friends on teams because they have to cut them sooner or later or they retire. They are well respected and loved but hanging out no and letting friendship get in the way of cutting a guy no.

i tend to disagree, what coaches know as players know it is a business, a coach knows he needs to put together a team not of friends but of players that can help that team, a player knows friendships matter little when you have to produce and show your worth.. sure a coach might keep a veteran but less about friends and more about intangibles and already knowing what you have, whereas a rookie or young player has more risk and unknowns that can make a coach decide if close im keeping the veteran. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: QB: Joe Burrow/ Brandan Allen (2)
HB: Joe Mixon/ Samajae Perine/ Chris Evans (3)
TE Hayden Hurst/ Drew Sample/ Mitchell Wilcox (3)
LT Jonah Williams/ Isiah Prince (2)
LG Cordell Volston/ Jackson Carman (2)
C Ted Karras/ Trey Hill (2)
RG Alex Kappa/ Hakeen Adeniji (2)
RT La'el Collins/ D'Ante Smith (2)
WR1 Ja'Marr Chase/ Michael Thomas (2)
WR2 Tee Higgins/ Stanley Morgan (2)
WR3 Tyler Boyd/ Trent Taylor/ Kendric Pryor (3)

O=25

RDE Trey Hendrickson/ Joseph Ossai/ Khalid Kareem (3)
LDE Sam Hubbard/ Jeff Gunther/ Cam Sample (3)
DT DJ Reeder/ Josh Tupou (2)
DT BJ Hill/ Zach Carter (2)
LB1 Logan Wilson/ Akeem Davis-Gather (2)
LB2 Germaine Pratt (1)
LB3 Markus Bailey (1)
CB1 Chidobe Awuzie/ Allan George/ Try Flowers (3)
CB2 Eli Apple/ Cam Taylor-Britt (2)
CB3 (slot) Mike Hilton/ Jalen Davis (2)
S Vonn Bell/ Mike Thomas (2)
SS Jessie Bates/ Dax Hill (2)

D=25

PK Shooter
P Chrisman
LS Clark

ST=3

CTB and Wilcox will revert to IR and Thad Moss and Tycen Anderson will replace

If you go by how absolutely horrible D'ante Smith has looked at both LT and RT,  I like the guy and energy and enthusiasm he brings to the sideline just can't seen him being kept in place of  Adeniji, who plays Tackle WAY better than as a guard, an experiment that has to end.  I think they go with 9 OL as the 10th man, whoever it is, isn't NFL material.
Trenton Irwin will be a tough cut,  sure hands, good routes, and good lord, that man can absorb a hit as we have seen the last 2 preseasons.

On defense,   4 LB is just too light at that position.   I believe they will try to sneak Gunter past waivers to PS and keep 9 DL or keep Shelvin, who has not been playing as bad as posters seem to think he has ( if you don't believe me watch the 3rd and 4th down of the TN playoff game when Tanehill and Henry both got stuffed), Tupou, for all his size doesn't anchor as well as expected and has NEVER impressed me.  So I wouldn't be surprised if he goes.
So Johnston stays, with Bachie to PUP, which I believe he is still eligible.
Also, don't believe George is ready for Primetime.   waivers to PS.

That leaves a roster slot open for a waiver pickup, possibly OL,  we usually pillage a Division rival for those. or placing Anderson on 53 outright.

For PS,  since this team is in a position to "win now",   I think they will keep the proven triad of Harris, Huber, McMoney. and not try experiments for the future.  Good holders are under appreciated unlike snappers.

My 2 cents, reserving right to stand corrected.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 09:36 AM)pally Wrote: FWIW....From Jay Morrison in The Athletic.  He ultimately went with Allen because of his game experience

Analysis: With local product and feel-good story of the preseason Drew Plitt released a few days ago, this one felt academic going into Saturday. But for the third time in three games, Jake Browning outplayed Brandon Allen and staked his claim to the backup job (although Allen left the opener after one series to be evaluated for a concussion).

After the game, The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. asked Taylor if Allen is the backup, and the coach gave a 49-word answer, none of which were “yes.”

“Those guys have competed all training camp,” Taylor said. “We’ve got a lot of confidence in Brandon. He’s got years in the system. He does a really good job operating our team. I think both of those guys have done a nice job, done what we needed them to do.”

Not sure stats make this an obvious outplay Allen 11-15 for 130  vs. 19-24 173 1 TD especially when you add in the penalties and pressures of 1st half and playing 2nd team vs 3/4th team and if it was still a ? about Allen for Taylor going into 3rd game, Allen stepped up to that pressure and performed well last nite 
Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen apparently only makes $1.5 million. That's crazy low for a backup veteran.
Reply/Quote

O=25

LB2 Germaine Pratt (1)
LB3 Markus Bailey (1)

D=25

PK Shooter
P Chrisman
LS Clark

ST=3

Excellent job , the only changes i would make is 

LB- add Johnston ( he won;t last on Practice squad, man is a tackling machine), delete 7th WR
Punter- gut says they keep Huber, i could when we were total rebuild the last few years but now that we are on the cusp of SB type team and with the short windows sometimes being that type of team, i think they stay with the trusted Huber for this season.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:22 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Excellent job , the only changes i would make is 

LB- add Johnson ( he won;t last on Practice squad, man is a tackling machine), delete 7th WR
Punter- gut says they keep Huber, i could when we were total rebuild the last few years but now that we are on the cusp of SB type team and with the short windows sometimes being that type of team, i think they stay with the trusted Huber for this season.. 

Are you talking about Clay Johnston because Raymond Johnson is a DE?

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:42 AM)pally Wrote: Are you talking about Clay Johnston because Raymond Johnson is a DE?

well typo but i did say LB and tackling machine which would infer Johnston, will edit though for those that might get confused..
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 07:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Browning 2nd preseason game showed why they will keep Allen, he was getting pressure and throwing it all over the place a few times. Allen is more trustworthy,  knows the offense better and finished preseason with 11/15 130 yards was accurate and had zip on throws plus continued to have inconsistent line play of penalties, sacks, no running game.

I think they keep Allen but Browning to me looks to have more apt to convert big plays.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:49 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they keep Allen but Browning to me looks to have more apt to convert big plays.

you are probably right but on flipside Allen is more apt at not throwing some high risk passes vs Browning and can audible better with the experience and i prefer Allen with our starting WR core than Browning, get the ball to our top 3 and they will convert the big plays over trying to force it.  In the end it is what backup qb with our starters gives you the best chance to win not our backups and  i say with our talent  the more reliable, conservative less prone to turnover QB that to me is Allen
Reply/Quote
Carman needs cut.. simply does not want to play. Bottom line.
Reply/Quote

O=25

LB2 Germaine Pratt (1)
LB3 Markus Bailey (1)

D=25

PK Shooter
P Chrisman
LS Clark

ST=3

Pretty much agree with all this, so I won't bother typing it all out.

A couple things, though:  

Pryor would be my WR as well, but to be clear I see him as more of an outside WR than I do a slot and feel he can be developed (and maybe even contribute some this year) to replace Thomas.  

Adeniji, Prince, and Smith are backups only because we don't have anyone else.  I am almost 100% certain they will find a veteran swing tackle that maybe has some history as a guard as well to improve the depth at those positions because right now it is just puke. 

I think that booming 65 yarder secured Chrisman as the punter, but I also think Harris is shown the door in favor of the cheaper, non-halftime-show-enabling Adomitis.  
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:49 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they keep Allen but Browning to me looks to have more apt to convert big plays.

I would only have a backup that had at the very least PRETTY GOOD mobility.  Browning checks that box.  I don't believe Allen does. 
Reply/Quote