Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimme your 53
(08-27-2022, 05:29 PM)pally Wrote: don't count on that one...from Paul Dehner in The Athletic

An opportunity was put in front of the second-year running back this month. Take a leap and the third-down job could be his. These last two days were his latest opportunity as he got repeated run with the first-team offense, often entering ahead of Samaje Perine.

Evans has been inconsistent. He still shows impressive flashes, most obviously with his strength as a receiver. But overall running the ball and with the area he most needed to take a step in pass protection, he hasn’t quite gotten to the desired level that would force the staff to give him the gig.

Hardly seems a fair evaluation of Evans, unless the coaches can say he wasn't SUPPOSED to bounce outside and that led to the penalties, but he never really got a shot with the 1s and there were ridiculous penalties when he carried the ball, negating his yardage.  PFF showed good ratings on pass blocking as well for Evans.  

And how great does he have to look to bump Perine?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Believe Browning won job as well but oddly don't see him receiving it over Allen.

Like Bfine 53 but would like to see 4 RB kept

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This is what I think we will do, not what I'd do:

Offense: 25
QB (2): Burrow; Allen (I'd go with Browning) 
RB (4): Mixon; Perine, Evans, T. Williams (I'd go with Patrick) 
WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; M. Thomas, Morgan, Taylor
TE (3): Hurst; Sample, Wilcox 
OL (10): J. Williams, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins; Adeniji, Carman, Hill, Smith, Prince.

Defense: 25
DL (9): Hendrickson, Reader, BJ Hill, Hubbard; Ossai, Tupou, Carter, Sample, Kareem.
LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ADG, Bailey, Johnston 
CB (6): Awuzie, Apple, Hilton; CTB, Flowers, Davis 
S (5): Bates, Bell; D. Hill, Andersen, M. Thomas 

Specials: 3
PK: McPherson 
P: Chrisman 
LS: Harris

Practice Squad: 16
QB: Browning 
RB: Patrick 
WR: Pryor, Lassiter, Irwin 
TE: Moss 
OL: Gailliard 
DE: Gunter, Spence 
DT: Shelvin (or another DT)
LB: Bachie, Scales, K. Jones
S: T. Henderson 
CB: George 
LS: Adomitis 
OL or TE would seem the most likely places to sign someone. Johnston is my most questionable guy on the 53 (for Bachie). 
Guys on the PS most likely to be rostered: Bachie, Pryor, Gunter, Browning, Patrick. 
Guys on the 53 most oikely to be PS/cut: Johnston, T. Williams, M. Thomas (S), Andersen, Kareem, C. Sample, any of the reserve OL, Wilcox. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:05 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Carman needs cut.. simply does not want to play. Bottom line.

Between his play, and his off the field baggage, I honestly wish they would just cut him at this point.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 12:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Between his play, and his off the field baggage, I honestly wish they would just cut him at this point.

your not serious are you ??  I know you were all in on the pick ( partly getting those extra picks that could work out on defense) so im surprised you actually would want him cut..  I don;t even support cutting him and you know where i stood on drafting him that high but I do think he needs another year to hope to improve or see if Pollack has the coaching to get him better.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 12:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: your not serious are you ??  I know you were all in on the pick ( partly getting those extra picks that could work out on defense) so im surprised you actually would want him cut..  I don;t even support cutting him and you know where i stood on drafting him that high but I do think he needs another year to hope to improve or see if Pollack has the coaching to get him better.

I was never “all in” on Jackson Carman. He wasn’t even on my radar leading up to that draft. I wanted Eichenberg. I tried to get behind the pick once it was made, but he’s making it impossible at this point (the rape accusation certainly doesn’t help).

Carman has shown absolutely nothing in 2 years now. He looks lazy, disinterested, and couldn’t even beat out a 4th round rookie from a FCS school when they literally gave him every opportunity to take that spot.

Reply/Quote
My memory might not serve me well but I recall both Irwin(WR) and Williams(RB) having some fumblitis in previous preseason/seasons.

Not to say that they couldn't have fixed it.

I just wanted to mention that these two haven't been very impressive in the past.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 01:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was never “all in” on Jackson Carman. He wasn’t even on my radar leading up to that draft. I wanted Eichenberg. I tried to get behind the pick once it was made, but he’s making it impossible at this point (the rape accusation certainly doesn’t help).

Carman has shown absolutely nothing in 2 years now. He looks lazy, disinterested, and couldn’t even beat out a 4th round rookie from a FCS school when they literally gave him every opportunity to take that spot.

ok, but even though i was skeptical on his talent level in 2nd round, i would still hold out hope this year learning from the vets and maybe the lightbulb comes on before cutting him.. but i guess if a veteran cut is out there, i can see the support for cutting him though as bad as Smith is also performing i might look to cut him first...
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hardly seems a fair evaluation of Evans, unless the coaches can say he wasn't SUPPOSED to bounce outside and that led to the penalties, but he never really got a shot with the 1s and there were ridiculous penalties when he carried the ball, negating his yardage.  PFF showed good ratings on pass blocking as well for Evans.  

And how great does he have to look to bump Perine?  

Evans had 18 carries for 10 yards in preseason.  Yes, he had some big runs called back by holding, but the holds helped him get the edge on those big runs.  He should definitely be on the team as the KR, but I don't know that he's really shown anything to unseat Perrine as Mixon's primary backup.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 12:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: QB(2)-Burrow, Allen
RB(4)-Mixon, Perrine, Evans, Patrick*
TE(3)-Hurst, Sample, Moss*
WR(6)-Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Taylor, Morgan, Pryor*
C(3)-Karras, Hill, Gaillard
G(3)-Cappa, Volson, Carman
T(4)Collins, Williams, Smith, Prince*
DE(5)-Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, Sample, Gunter*
DT(5)-Reader, Hill, Tupou, Carter, Shelvin*
LB(5)-Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Johnston
CB(6)-Awuzie, Apple, Hilton, CTB, Flowers, Jalen Davis
S(4)-Bates, Bell, Hill, Anderson
LS-Harris
K-McPherson
P-Chrisman

* indicates a strong possibility of being knocked off the 53 by a waiver claim

This is great job Whatever. I think you nailed it even if I would keep Browning over Allen. I would keep Noah Spence as the
last End and cut Shelvin off the DT group. Shelvin has not impressed me at all since he has been here. Sad cause I liked the pick
initially

Oh wait, one other thing I would change. I would keep Allan George over Jalen Davis.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 12:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

I still think he showed some flashes yesterday. Same with Volson against the Giants. Speaking of Volson though wasn't his pass blocking grade pretty poor against the Giants? Not making the case for Carman just making the case to bring in someone else.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I still think he showed some flashes yesterday. Same with Volson against the Giants. Speaking of Volson though wasn't his pass blocking grade pretty poor against the Giants? Not making the case for Carman just making the case to bring in someone else.

We should bring in someone else. I don't agree with those grades either. Thought both Carman and especially Gilliam
played much better then that lol

Ereck Flowers or trade for Isaiah Wynn. Need to bring in a vet of some kind in case.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 10:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Brandon Allen apparently only makes $1.5 million. That's crazy low for a backup veteran.

Overpaid
Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen ceiling is Jake Browing's floor. Jake 2nd year player Allen 6th year both had same stats basically so go with the youth and higher ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2022, 10:19 PM)pally Wrote: A couple of years ago the PS could be 10 players all with less than 3 years of service.  It is now 16 and allows for veteran players

A big step in the right direction. I know it tends not to be a big problem, but the whole notion of other teams being able to snipe players on the PS kind of rubs me the wrong way. Yeah, they can be promoted to the 53 in response. I guess it must not be a big concern among teams or players if they haven't changed it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 06:23 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Brandon Allen ceiling is Jake Browing's floor. Jake 2nd year player Allen 6th year both had same stats basically so go with the youth and higher ceiling.

Truth 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is great job Whatever. I think you nailed it even if I would keep Browning over Allen. I would keep Noah Spence as the
last End and cut Shelvin off the DT group. Shelvin has not impressed me at all since he has been here. Sad cause I liked the pick
initially

Oh wait, one other thing I would change. I would keep Allan George over Jalen Davis.

For such a massive human, Shelvin gets stopped in his tracks or redirected from the action way too easily.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We should bring in someone else. I don't agree with those grades either. Thought both Carman and especially Gilliam
played much better then that lol

Ereck Flowers or trade for Isaiah Wynn. Need to bring in a vet of some kind in case.

Yeah, Hobson cited a different PFF grade, the run-blocking grade, as an indication that Carman "appeared to step up."

"Although Carman gave up a sack and was called for a hold, he appeared to play pretty well other than that and had PFF's second-best run blocking grade on the team behind right tackle Hakeem Adeniji. There seems to be momentum indicating Volson is going to get the nod against the Steelers, but someone forgot to tell Carman. He appeared to step up."

https://www.bengals.com/news/kevin-huber-drue-chrisman-punter-battle-heads-up-roster-questions
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2022, 01:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ok, but even though i was skeptical on his talent level in 2nd round, i would still hold out hope this year learning from the vets and maybe the lightbulb comes on before cutting him.. but i guess if a veteran cut is out there, i can see the support for cutting him though as bad as Smith is also performing i might look to cut him first...

Only trouble with that is, you have to want to play to get better. 
Reply/Quote
QB (2) - Burrow, Allen
RB (4) - Mixon, Perine, Evans, Williams
WR (6) - Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Thomas, Morgan, Taylor
TE (3) - Hurst, Sample, Wilcox
OT (4) - Williams, Collins, Prince, Adeniji/Smith (hard to decide since Smith was drafted by Pollack but Adeniji has more experience)
OG (3) - Cappa, Volson, Carman
C (2) - Karras, Hill

DE (6) - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, Gunter, Kareem
DT (4) - Hill, Reader, Carter, Tupou
LB (5) - Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Johnston
CB (6) - Awuzie, Apple, Hilton, CTB, Flowers, George
S (5) - Bates, Bell, Thomas, Hill, Anderson

K - McPherson
P - Chrisman
LS - Harris

I could also see that the Bengals choose to only keep 10 DBs initially with either George or Anderson going to PS in favor of keeping a 10th OL or 7th WR (Pryor).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote