Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good chance Zac Taylor is fired if we lose next week?
(12-28-2019, 04:44 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: We're talking about a franchise that defines success as going 9-7 every four years or so.  

We're talking about a franchise that would rather fiddle while Rome burned than admit that they were wrong about anything.

We're talking about a franchise that manages to find new and creative ways to shoot themselves in the foot in a world where they could literally hire people to tell them how to do things properly with their nepotist money.

We're talking about a franchise that would be perfectly content with NEVER winning a playoff game so long as they could cherry pick some rando stats and claim a winning record from time to time.

Yep, and even after spans of 14 years without a winning season, the ultra-disappointing 2010 season, and Marvin's final 3 losing seasons it only took ZT the bare minimum 11 games to set a new record losing streak and in his first season he is either going to tie or exceed our worst season ever.  This year we managed to actually have as bad, if not worse a season as Bengals fans have ever seen and we are a franchise known for losing...it's uncanny. 

Setting losing records for the Bengals is noteworthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:34 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right.

For all of you guys in "wait mode" on Zac and judging his coaching abilities.

You have a drive that Mixon is willing his way down the field looking like the stud we know he is.

So then what does Taylor do at the goal line...  pass 3 times?!?

What. A. Moron.

If anything this just goes to show he has no business being an OC let alone a HC.

That's something you might see in SEATTLE in a SUPER BOWL!!! Running the ball get progressively harder the closer to the goal line you get. It's not like we had a line this year that got a lot of push in the red zone, which is why we were horrible in the red zone. Easy to look back and criticize with 20-20 hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Auden Tate was a decent #3 WR this season. 575 yds in 12 games. We were really just missing that true #1.

While I really like Tate and enjoy his acrobatic catches, it's not like he has the speed to stretch the field. We had no speed this year.
Reply/Quote
Does a coach or coordinator have what it takes to do the following?

1. Motivate players to play as a team.

2. Design effective schemes to succeed.

3. Coach up the players, turning the average into good and the good into great.

4. Have the guts to call out or pull a player who is clearly underperforming.

5. Hold the other coaches and coordinators accountable. For instance, the running backs coach should be on the offensive line coach’s case.

6. Give praise to the team when things go well and personally take ownership of failure when things go badly.

7. Understand the opponent and game plan properly.

Does any coach or coordinator on the current Bengals’ staff meet a majority of these criteria? Darrin Simmons, maybe, and possibly Alex Van Pelt. Anyone else come to mind?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's something you might see in SEATTLE in a SUPER BOWL!!! Running the ball get progressively harder the closer to the goal line you get. It's not like we had a line this year that got a lot of push in the red zone, which is why we were horrible in the red zone. Easy to look back and criticize with 20-20 hindsight.

No it's not hindsight.

Damn dude you make it seem as no one was screaming at their TV while it was happening!

By the way the call in the Superbowl will go in history as one of the worst ever made!

But thanks for playing Sled.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Despite Zac's noteworthy screwups the issues really flow from the top of the mountain of stupid beginning with "la familia" in the Brown family. As long as there's a revenue sharing program in place to ensure there's absolutely no way to go bankrupt as a long term owner of an NFL franchise short of just throwing trainloads of cash off the bridge into the river to let the carp eat it the issues are going to continue. (Note: They would probably lobby congress to outlaw being in the river on a boat to collect said cash) There is NO accountability in place among team ownership short of making utterly outlandish and offensive statements to the public or perhaps maybe criminal acts that no defense attorney can defend in any court in the land.. Nope...as long as they keep their mouths shut and never get caught eating human flesh of innocent babies they're pretty much guaranteed to keep getting richer and don't have to worry about this team ever having to make tough decisions to win..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Does a coach or coordinator have what it takes to do the following?

1. Motivate players to play as a team. 

2. Design effective schemes to succeed.

3. Coach up the players, turning the average into good and the good into great.

4. Have the guts to call out or pull a player who is clearly underperforming.

5. Hold the other coaches and coordinators accountable.  For instance, the running backs coach should be on the offensive line coach’s case.

6. Give praise to the team when things go well and personally take ownership of failure when things go badly.

7. Understand the opponent and game plan properly.

Does any coach or coordinator on the current Bengals’ staff meet a majority of these criteria?  Darrin Simmons, maybe, and possibly Alex Van Pelt. Anyone else come to mind?

1) Taylor has this team playing hard and not quitting, regardless of the record or the scoreboard. Check

2) Yet to be seen

3) That's more on position coaches than Head Coaches.

4) Taylor benched Price, pulled Mixon out of the game for a stupid personal foul. Check

5) Don't need coaches yelling at each other on the sidelines. Meeting rooms are the place for that, and we don't know what goes on in there.

6) Taylor has done that all season. Check

7) Since so many of our losses were close games, many one score or less, I'd say he'd doing ok with this for a 1st year coach. He'll improve with     time.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 1) Taylor has this team playing hard and not quitting, regardless of the record or the scoreboard. Check

2) Yet to be seen

3) That's more on position coaches than Head Coaches.

4) Taylor benched Price, pulled Mixon out of the game for a stupid personal foul. Check

5) Don't need coaches yelling at each other on the sidelines. Meeting rooms are the place for that, and we don't know what goes on in there.

6) Taylor has done that all season. Check

7) Since so many of our losses were close games, many one score or less, I'd say he'd doing ok with this for a 1st year coach. He'll improve with     time.
I have to give you credit for having more faith in Zac than do I, but then I've never been the head coach of an NFL franchise and my prospects of such seem dimmer as the years go by..  Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: While I really like Tate and enjoy his acrobatic catches, it's not like he has the speed to stretch the field. We had no speed this year.

How’s all that speed working out for John Ross? A good play caller will figure out how to use a guy like Tate.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How’s all that speed working out for John Ross? A good play caller will figure out how to use a guy like Tate.

Don't get me started on Ross. If Tate had Ross's speed, he'd be the best receiver in the league. And I think they HAVE figured out how to use Tate, which is why he is doing so well. That doesn't negate the fact without AJ we have no reliable receiver to stretch the field. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't get me started on Ross. If Tate had Ross's speed, he'd be the best receiver in the league. And I think they HAVE figured out how to use Tate, which is why he is doing so well. That doesn't negate the fact without AJ we have no reliable receiver to stretch the field. 

Piss poor planning to have only one player(AJ)who can stretch the field.

Is it not Zac's responsibility to assemble or have the front office acquire the talent to succeed?

If not.  Then how does this change?

At least we got a blocking TE and a few RBs contributing. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: I have to give you credit for having more faith in Zac than do I, but then I've never been the head coach of an NFL franchise and my prospects of such seem dimmer as the years go by..  Nervous

Apparently some fans are not aware of the history of the "dead cat bounce" and the team playing hard late for Marvin too.

Call it player's pride.  Player's contract year.  Auditioning for another team.  Who knows??

It happens and cannot be solely attributed to the HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 10:56 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I get that.

But did all of those things lead to bad play-calling and a bevy of people who say that ZT should be relieved of his duties by an overwhelming majority of fans?

Also who was the genius behind the team's defensive scheme that had 2 poor slow linebackers trying to cover more field?

Really bad draft to boot.

A lot of asinine decisions made this season.

It wasn't all on injury woes.

A few different coaching decisions could have turned to wins but as you said all of those things plus the those I mentioned torpedoed the season.

Zac and those losers in the front office have to take ownership of failure as well.  

You can put a dress on a pig and it is still a pig. Every poster also not only recognizes that the Line is crap. Zac was hired in February . Did you think he was going to miraculously turn straw into gold? The combination of Belichick . Lombardi, and Landry couldn't turn this shitshow around in one offseason with MB as the owner. We can cry all we want but no coach wants to come here and work for the Bengals. Zac will grow with the team and as someone else has noted ,as bad as things were this season the team still wants to play for him. He deserves to have at least one more season.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  A good play caller will figure out how to use a guy like Tate.

Play calling is not the reason Tate's catch percentage is among the very worst in the league.  And it isn't the QB either because other Bengal WRs are doing much better.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't get me started on Ross. If Tate had Ross's speed, he'd be the best receiver in the league. And I think they HAVE figured out how to use Tate, which is why he is doing so well. That doesn't negate the fact without AJ we have no reliable receiver to stretch the field. 

Taylor needs to be better with his calls in the red zone. With guys like Eifert and Tate out there Dalton shouldn’t have such a hard time putting up TD’s.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Play calling is not the reason Tate's catch percentage is among the very worst in the league.  And it isn't the QB either because other Bengal WRs are doing much better.

“Much better” is debatable.

Tate 50%
Ross 51%
Erickson 56.8%
Boyd 60.3%
Willis 56.3%

Boyd has been our only dependable WR.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Piss poor planning to have only one player(AJ)who can stretch the field.

Is it not Zac's responsibility to assemble or have the front office acquire the talent to succeed?

If not.  Then how does this change?

At least we got a blocking TE and a few RBs contributing. Whatever

When AJ went down I guess you think there was another #1 receiver just waiting for a call. You are being totally ridiculous if you think it's the coaches responsibility to sign players. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: When AJ went down I guess you think there was another #1 receiver just waiting for a call. You are being totally ridiculous if you think it's the coaches responsibility to sign players. 

No, but how about drafting better players? That Drew Sample pick could have been used more wisely for example.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: When AJ went down I guess you think there was another #1 receiver just waiting for a call. You are being totally ridiculous if you think it's the coaches responsibility to sign players. 

Exactly, was Taylor supposed to look into a crystal ball and know AJ would be lost for the year on the 1st day of training camp, and that Ross would miss half the season?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No, but how about drafting better players? That Drew Sample pick could have been used more wisely for example.

I'm pretty sure the Sample pick had more to do with helping our struggling line pass protect than it was for him to be a receiver....
Reply/Quote