D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021
(05-02-2021, 12:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: I know you said average in your original response, but I think a lot of people are hung up on the C+ part simply because C's are usually the lowest grade given out by pundits(don't want to alienate fanbases too much by giving out F's).  

Sorry for the off-topic post, but do you happen to be a member of a fantasy football board?  If not, my bad and never mind lol.   I thought I might have recognized you from somewhere else.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
A-. Loved the strategy, best player maker in the draft to start and then in the trenches after that and added the best kicker as well.
As always time will tell if the quality of the players is what we hope for but it looks promising to upgrade some areas of need.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Read this thread all over again and you tell me which side is being obnoxious.

Not looking for a hater vs homer debate. Just tired of people getting flamed for saying anything remotely critical.

That is what really killed the old board off the most.

The Denny types that would just shame people and call them "Not real fans" because they didn't jump on the train with every single move the team made.

23 years, no playoff wins and people still aren't allowed to be critical? Is there a time frame on when we can be critical and say, prove it and not just on paper? 

Every team is excited after the draft and thinks they have "their" guys, and yet every year half these picks don't make a team or don't have a career that is lengthy and productive.

Hard to imagine that all 10 of the picks make the roster much less contribute in the NFL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:06 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: Sorry for the off-topic post, but do you happen to be a member of a fantasy football board?  If not, my bad and never mind lol.   I thought I might have recognized you from somewhere else.   Ninja

No, sorry.  Did fantasy one year in '19 because the work league needed one more, but the league imploded after a bunch of drama.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is what really killed the old board off the most.

The Denny types that would just shame people and call them "Not real fans" because they didn't jump on the train with every single move the team made.

23 years, no playoff wins and people still aren't allowed to be critical? Is there a time frame on when we can be critical and say, prove it and not just on paper? 

Every team is excited after the draft and thinks they have "their" guys, and yet every year half these picks don't make a team or don't have a career that is lengthy and productive.

Hard to imagine that all 10 of the picks make the roster much less contribute in the NFL.

It's not a positive/negative thing.  It's a mob think thing.  If you oppose a commonly held mob think position, then the mob comes after you.
Reply/Quote
C+

Chase is going to (most likely) be a good receiver. And from reports, he has existing chemistry with JB.

We got a good, young kicker.

We got some good defensive line prospects.

But the biggest need going in is the biggest need coming out. Did we take some exciting OL projects? Yup. Did we take any day 1 OL starters? Most likely not.

It was a weird swing. At the end of the first, there's lots of several good OL on the board, so both sides (sewell/chase) seemed at least somewhat satisfied, as there was a chance everyone would get some of what they wanted. Then the second round pick came and it's like ... Oh... They don't think the line needs any immediate help.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry but I was on the old board right up to the end and what finally made it toxic wasn't optimists attacking others. It was a group of posters who went from thread to thread reviling (sometimes in very personal terms) a certain former Bengal QB and attacking anyone who liked that player. It got to the point where virtually every thread regardless of topic was so invaded.

Of courser, sometimes I do miss some of the weirder elements (like the Umkubas-bot)...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I always notice it's the "positive" people who attack the less enthused posters.

You don't see the so called negative nancies poo-pooing people for giving out an A+++.

I say we should let people have their opinions.

You can't be serious!! Are you really naive? We have morons making threads as soon as the picks are made as to how bad they are. Without any clue about the player, only what they hear from shit sites like Bleacher report and SBNation. Then feel the need to post the same shit in every thread about 20 times...... You don't believe me, look at this thread, why do people continually harp about Carman's back and Hills knees, even though it has pointed out to them 400 times that they have been cleared and have recovered? I didn't like the Evans pick but you don't see me hi-jacking every post to vent. I do what I do and the Bengals do what they do, I leave it at that, nothing I or anyone else says really matters, so why bring down this board with a bunch whining and crying?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:10 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: That's aside the point.

We're asking him to play a position he's never played...at the highest level.

Get outta here with your nonsense, Denny.

Do you know if we had taken Sewell, we may have played him OG or not?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Gonna go with you don't know who Sam Cosmi is

(05-01-2021, 10:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bfine, you know I watch tape and read a decent amount of draft stuff.

He needs to add strength and a ton of technique; playing in a high-powered offense masks a ton of issues.

Boylhart said it best: https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=1704

(05-01-2021, 10:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Purely an OT that would sit as a rookie, cool.

I like the guy that could start as a rookie at RG in Carman.

Carman won't likely start as a rookie for the reason truck lists as a knock on cosmi: technique. Carman is a power guy who everyone projects them to kick in to guard even though he had bad technique and, given the surgery, we don't know if he can rely on just being strong

Cosmi would've been a good pick. Could play tackle or guard and should be able to play as a rookie. Is his technique nfl starter level? No. Is it better than carman? Yes.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if carman plays much his rookie year. Like I've said in other threads, I think with coaching he will be a good guard in a year or two and maybe a tackle down the road. But if we're just grading things at face value, projects don't get good grades.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: No, sorry.  Did fantasy one year in '19 because the work league needed one more, but the league imploded after a bunch of drama.

So sorry man, I actually meant to quote Joelist and mistakenly quoted you.  Also sorry to all for having to post another off-topic message over it. 
Reply/Quote
I feel a bit flat about the draft. Neither upset nor amped. Which probably means it's a slam dunk because when I'm hyped im usually let down haha

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:11 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The Denny types that would just shame people and call them "Not real fans" because they didn't jump on the train with every single move the team made.
It wasn't the Denny types.  It was just Denny.  He killed the board.  Period.  He went from general mope, to Mod to Admin, and once he became Admin he forced himself on the board more intrusively than Deshaun Watson on massage therapists.

Early on here he actively campaigned to try and get people to NOT come here, which obviously didn't work.  The guy was a total egotistical joke and we have NOTHING like him here because Holic wouldn't allow it.

So let's not make blanket statement that just aren't true.  The is NO ONE here like Denny that can ruin these forums because there's no one like Denny in charge, and frankly there are few to no pure homers, like Denny, here any more.  People who support the organization no matter what.  Who never find any fault.  Who berate every negative comment.  

Equating the criticisms the pro-Sewell crowd has gotten (justified or other) with what Denny used to dish out, just says you really don't remember what he and the old forums were like.  One could not criticize MB at all.  One could not criticize the FO at all.  Posts would get edited, deleted, people would get banned.  None of that happens here.  

You have selective memory.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:48 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: I feel a bit flat about the draft. Neither upset nor amped. Which probably means it's a slam dunk because when I'm hyped im usually let down haha

lol - well being self aware is the first step toward true happiness
Reply/Quote
I'll breakdown what I think of every pick.

A - Ja'Marr Chase, I was a Penei Sewell guy, but Chase is a great WR and an A+ prospect.

B+ - Carman Jackson, Injuries don't bother me, but some of his tape does. He wouldn't be a guy I'd trust at tackle, but he was an exceptional run blocker. Smart, kept with his assignments. I think he can be pretty solid at guard, like a Eric Steinbach. I can can see a lot of pulls to the other side, like we did for Rudi. At tackle he might struggle against the speed. Look at the video to see what I mean.

A - Joseph Ossai, he only had one single year and 9 games total as an edge player and came away with 55 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for lost. So natural and fluid when blitzing and stunting. Relentless and hard work ethic. Needs to get better at the point of attack against the run sometimes.

B - Cameron Sample, 6'3, 267 so he's got good size. He's another guy that was known for being relentless and finishing the play. A very solid pick.

A+ Tyler Shelvin, 6'3 346 a big nasty as they say. I absolutely love this pick. I think he'll be a Domata Peko or Vince Wilfork were his number will probably never do him justice. However, I think he'll help against the run tremendously. His biggest concern, is probably going to be himself.

B D’Ante Smith, has the height, length and speed you can't teach. If he hits the workout room and strengthens his frame he could really develop.

A Evan McPherson, he's one of the best kickers to come out in years. He can boom them, he can have pinpoint accuracy. Ultimately, he makes the team better.

I'm not sure how I feel about the last three yet. Overall, I'll give us a B+. This is going to turn out to be a very crucial draft and free agency for this franchise!
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You can't be serious!! Are you really naive? We have morons making threads as soon as the picks are made as to how bad they are. Without any clue about the player, only what they hear from shit sites like Bleacher report and SBNation. Then feel the need to post the same shit in every thread about 20 times...... You don't believe me, look at this thread, why do people continually harp about Carman's back and Hills knees, even though it has pointed out to them 400 times that they have been cleared and have recovered? I didn't like the Evans pick but you don't see me hi-jacking every post to vent. I do what I do and the Bengals do what they do, I leave it at that, nothing I or anyone else says really matters, so why bring down this board with a bunch whining and crying?

You sir are 100% right in all aspects of this post.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 03:15 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: B+ - Carman Jackson, Injuries don't bother me, but some of his tape does. He wouldn't be a guy I'd trust at tackle, but he was an exceptional run blocker. Smart, kept with his assignments. I think he can be pretty solid at guard, like a Eric Steinbach. I can can see a lot of pulls to the other side, like we did for Rudi. At tackle he might struggle against the speed. Look at the video to see what I mean.

Fair enough, but he isn't going to play tackle, so you're good.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 03:22 AM)Stewy Wrote: Fair enough, but he isn't going to play tackle, so you're good.

Neither you or me can guarantee that.

There has never been a team that has gone without injuries. Can you guarantee to me that this is gonna be Jonah Williams only healthy year in his career?

You think Carman is gonna stay put at guard or are they gonna feel like they have to push him to tackle?

That's a question this coaching staff would be forced to make. I'm not the one that has to be good, that's Joe Burrow.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I gave it a solId B+ grade, it was just the type of draft we needed, and we finally focused on the trenches. Both our 3rd and 4th round picks can be steals, but i am really looking forward to seeing can Shelvin live up to his potential. Fans of LSU know he can sometimes be a bit lazy, but during the 2019 run Joe Burrow was CONSTANTLY on his behind, and kept him focused and motivated, so i really think he will surprise people with how good he will be during his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 03:12 AM)Stewy Wrote: It wasn't the Denny types.  It was just Denny.  He killed the board.  Period.  He went from general mope, to Mod to Admin, and once he became Admin he forced himself on the board more intrusively than Deshaun Watson on massage therapists.

Early on here he actively campaigned to try and get people to NOT come here, which obviously didn't work.  The guy was a total egotistical joke and we have NOTHING like him here because Holic wouldn't allow it.

So let's not make blanket statement that just aren't true.  The is NO ONE here like Denny that can ruin these forums because there's no one like Denny in charge, and frankly there are few to no pure homers, like Denny, here any more.  People who support the organization no matter what.  Who never find any fault.  Who berate every negative comment.  

Equating the criticisms the pro-Sewell crowd has gotten (justified or other) with what Denny used to dish out, just says you really don't remember what he and the old forums were like.  One could not criticize MB at all.  One could not criticize the FO at all.  Posts would get edited, deleted, people would get banned.  None of that happens here.  

You have selective memory.

My statement had nothing to do with the Sewell Chase crowd. 

I was simply agreeing with Shake about the people that suddenly became all pro Brown family and Tobin and that finding fault with the draft was being called a hater.

I remember the old boards well and I remember Denny being an absolute unbearable monster but he wasn't alone. He had a few minions that were on his side and ran off or banned great posters, specifically Joe from Florence who Denny always seemed to hate. 

I do agree Holic and all the admins have done a great job here but the instant pre-draft rise of rah ran and don't dare speak out or be critical has a very familiar feel. It was why I spent 99% of my time in smack on the old board just to avoid the mindset of if you are critical you aren't a fan.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote