Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Harrison Butker | Commencement Address 2024
(05-29-2024, 07:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: So when they call themselves Chads or use the memes they are hating themselves?

You do you.

Anything to say about the rest of the post I made or are you going to just troll me over a term you didn't know about and yet can claim "never heard or read the term used in a flattering manner"?

So either move on we're done with this,

You mean like the black community and the n-word?

Yaaaa, another swing and a miss!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 06:53 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Mind reading again.

An amazing talent...

Got any lotto numbers for us?

Its not mind reading...read some of their written opinions

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 07:19 PM)pally Wrote: Its not mind reading...read some of their written opinions

Opinions on what someone else said.

I do not need multiple mind readers to decipher something anyone can read.

Lockstep filter.
Reply/Quote

An amazing talent...

Whose mind would she read that would give lotto numbers?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:04 PM)CJD Wrote: Whose mind would she read that would give lotto numbers?

I was trying to make us all winners.

But you are correct...
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 02:02 PM)Dill Wrote: I'd say "traditional moms" are on the rise in Egypt too. Women there have gone back to the hijab. Globally there is a
backlash against women's rights. 

That's absolutely terrible.  If only we could identify the movement that's behind this regressive trend.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: The point is I don't want him to lose his job for what he said. He is entitled to his opinion, just as I have the right to disagree with him.  He should only lose his job for incompetence.  And if his incompetence costs a rival of my favorite team victories I'm all for that.

Yes, you want him to be incompetent so he is fired.  You want this to happen because he said something that offended you.

Quote:And we should wonder, why don't people like Butket ever talk to men about their lives, responsibilities, and what they need to do for "fulfillment"?  I can assure you that single parenthood is not all the woman fault but it seems like far too many men seem to think it is.

I seem to recall lots of people talking to men about their lives, people like Jordan Peterson.  That seems to upset you guys as well.

Quote:We have at least 2 judges on the Supreme Court who think like Butker do.  All Americans should ALWAYS be on guard for any situation that leads to hard-won rights being taken away.

And we have three justices that think the way you do.  

[Image: apocalypse-now-marlon-brando.gif]

As to your last sentence, I completely agree.  I assume that extends to the 2nd Amendment as well?

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  

Yes, you want him to be incompetent so he is fired.  You want this to happen because he said something that offended you.

I seem to recall lots of people talking to men about their lives, people like Jordan Peterson.  That seems to upset you guys as well.

As to your last sentence, I completely agree.  I assume that extends to the 2nd Amendment as well?

no I don't...I want him to be incompetent so the Chiefs lose.  I wished that before I learned he was a jerk unfortunately, so far he has been more than adequate

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 09:06 PM)pally Wrote: no I don't...I want him to be incompetent so the Chiefs lose.  I wished that before I learned he was a jerk unfortunately, so far he has been more than adequate

[Image: jack-sparrow-keep-telling-yourself-that.gif]

Nice complete dodge on the other points made, btw.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 09:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: [Image: jack-sparrow-keep-telling-yourself-that.gif]

1) show me 1 time that I have ever advocated for anyone to lose their job for something they have said

2) There are 2 Justices already ready to blow up civil rights and at least 2 that lean that way.  The liberals do NOT have a majority of the Court

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's absolutely terrible.  If only we could identify the movement that's behind this regressive trend.

Done! --> Globalization. Accelerated modernity. 

Same thing behind the same "regressive trend" in the US, Japan, India, and Argentina. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 08:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's absolutely terrible.  If only we could identify the movement that's behind this regressive trend.

Religion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 01:00 PM)pally Wrote: I don't want him cut because he is a misogynist and said stupid stuff.  I want him cut because he suddenly catches a case of the yips causing him to miss multiple field goals for the Chiefs leading to their 2024 losing record.

As the token woman on this board, I thought his speech was offensive to women.  I know plenty of conservative Catholic men who follow the faith and don't think like he does.  As a Catholic, he is supposed to believe in and follow the tenets of his religion as presented by the Pope.  He believes in a church that existed over 60 years ago, before he was even alive. Just like many evangelicals he is rejecting the mainstream of his religion while embracing the extremes.  And you have to wonder if he is using religion to justify his own bigotry.  He didn't word his viewpoint as if he was offering options.  He didn't say that the women should do what is best for themselves and their lives and he was simply reminding them of other options.  No, he worded it in a fashion that the big strong alpha male knew better what was best for them than they did themselves.  It was paternalistic and condescending rejecting the notion that those college-educated young women could think for themselves.

Women have fought too hard for the rights we now have to turn over our fate to men whose thinking hasn't left 1960

(05-29-2024, 08:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  

Mellow

(05-29-2024, 03:01 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Luckily we all have women in our lives with opinions as well, so we can observe how fringe/cringe your take is.

Many I know do not try to tell me what other people are thinking, though my significant other professes to being able to read my mine with reasonable accuracy.
Why try to be The Amazing  Kreskin and claim to know what others are thinking just so you have something to attack? Unless that is the point?

Women fought too hard to be taken seriously for me to entertain this rant as reasonable.

Smirk

(05-29-2024, 09:06 PM)pally Wrote: no I don't...I want him to be incompetent so the Chiefs lose.  I wished that before I learned he was a jerk unfortunately, so far he has been more than adequate

(05-29-2024, 09:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: [Image: jack-sparrow-keep-telling-yourself-that.gif]

Mellow

An amazing talent...

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: The point is I don't want him to lose his job for what he said. He is entitled to his opinion, just as I have the right to disagree with him.  He should only lose his job for incompetence.  And if his incompetence costs a rival of my favorite team victories I'm all for that. 

And we should wonder, why don't people like Butket ever talk to men about their lives, responsibilities, and what they need to do for "fulfillment"?  I can assure you that single parenthood is not all the woman fault but it seems like far too many men seem to think it is.

Actually they do, and so did Butket.  He said men need to step up and fill in power vacuums where there is a lack of order. Not women, men. 

Interesting how the quickly the forum lines up left/right on gender rights. 

Now you have to fight to be taken seriously by people who don't see sexism or inequality anywhere in Butker's speech, 
but have only the highest respect for women.

(05-29-2024, 05:51 PM)pally Wrote: We have at least 2 judges on the Supreme Court who think like Butker do.  All Americans should ALWAYS be on guard for any situation that leads to hard-won rights being taken away.

Sounds good. But it's always complicated when some people don't really value those rights--or feel threatened by them. 

In the case of women's rights, going back to the early battle for suffrage, women were also prominent opponents.  That's a contrast with struggle
for rights of racial minorities, who experienced few perks from segregation. 

Now we're in a time when, after so many rights have been won and "normalized," young women take them for granted, and even dissociate
them from the feminists who won those rights.  Since the 70s there have been women who praise women's "independence" and "strength" 
and readiness to speak their mind, while simultaneously arguing that in marriage, the man is boss and women go against their nature when they pursue careers. 

The Trump court and Butker's speech suggests that the struggle is far from over. Women who go against the "traditional" role are still 
assumed to have some kind of personal problem or flaw which explains their non conformity.  Women who push for women's rights are '
the ones really demeaning women,* while defenders of inequality praise women to the heavens as "indispensable" partners in their support role. 

*"real" sexism?; maybe a structural analogue to "real" racism, as our friends on the Right often term efforts to combat systemic racism. The people who identify and address the violations of rights are flipped in right wing rhetoric to become themselves the origin of the problem. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 10:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Smirk

Mellow

Cool

LOL Dino-style!!  

Can't tell what you are thinking, 

but I enjoy comparing what people actually say with what they are accused of saying. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 11:15 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Dino-style!!  

but I enjoy comparing what people actually say with what they are accused of saying. 

men are from mars women from venus

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 11:15 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Dino-style!!  

(05-29-2024, 11:18 PM)pally Wrote: men are from mars women from venus

I'm honestly astonished that you can't see what a self own this circle J is.  You guys are so far up your own posterior that anything that defends each other seems reasonable.

Also, Dino style?  Dear lord.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 02:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Sure I'm a parent. No idea what you think you need to explain to me about parenting. 

Or why.  Our disagreement is over your claim Butker wasn't "knocking either choice."  

But you seem to agree with me now, since one "choice" is based on "diabolical lies."

That's kind of a knock, isn't it? 

First: That's his opinion and you have YOURs (neither is a fact), my opinion, is he wasn't. We are going to have to agree to disagree cause I don't want to spend 5 pages on something that is opinion based. 

(05-29-2024, 02:02 PM)Dill Wrote: How does a defense of gender equality = "shaming women for staying at home"? 

It does not. 

I posted in my previous post, that they are frowned up on because they will be reliant upon the Husband to provide for them financially. That 100% flies in the face of modern feminism that says no woman should be dependent upon a man. 

No where does he say,  your wife is your pet. In fact, he's praising her for putting family first. 

(05-29-2024, 02:02 PM)Dill Wrote: My quarrel is with the assumption that men and women are UNEQUAL. Why isn't that "shaming" women??? 

I'd say "traditional moms" are on the rise in Egypt too. Women there have gone back to the hijab. Globally there is a
backlash against women's rights. Buckner's speech was just one point of darkness among many.

Your second link argues that women's EDUCATION plays an important role in children's success--an education that feminists fought for in previous generations. "Fought for"? My gosh, whom would they be fighting against?  That would be people who thought feminists and "leftists" were spreading "diabolical lies." 

*sighs, Males and Females are NOT anatomically equal, and they never will be. that is not a shame, that's a fact. 

That has nothing to do treating each other as an equal in all matters. 

WTF? You just compared being a SAHM to being forced to wear a hijab and other global women's rights issues? Do the women in the US have those same issues? very likely not. What you are describing is likely more cultural related than anything else and has nothing to do with Harrison's speech. It's just your attempt to make them look equally as bad. 

In the past, Yes they had to fight for rights, Right to own land in 1848, Right to vote. As far as I can tell for US Laws, they are granted just about every right i can think of that men have. And before you hit me with some exceptions yes there's always azzholes out there that don't respect anyone. And not all are worth pursuing legally as it takes time and money to fight them and that's not a man only thing. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 02:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm honestly astonished that you can't see what a self own this circle J is.  You guys are so far up your own posterior that anything that defends each other seems reasonable.

Also, Dino style?  Dear lord.

Pot meet kettle

You are so arrogant with your own moral superiority, that you up your own interpretation of what is written just so you can attack. You don’t want conversations, you want confrontations.

Dino is like your own personal red flag, he writes you attack

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 06:25 AM)pally Wrote: Pot meet kettle

You are so arrogant with your own moral superiority, that you up your own interpretation of what is written just so you can attack.  You don’t want conversations, you want confrontations.

Dino is like your own personal red flag, he writes you attack

Calm down, Dino can fight his own battles. Badly, albeit, but he can do it.  As for conversations, you and I were having one in this very thread, were we not?  Or is your definition of a "conversation" when all parties agree?  It would explain your guys' gestalt personality.

Reply/Quote