Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - only $15 million of cap to work with?
(02-28-2017, 12:46 PM)McC Wrote: And again it comes back to how well it is spent.  They spent less and won a SB.  We spent more and took ten steps back.

Patriots are in another league than other teams with what they have been able to accomplish... you can put most teams in the same group as the Bengals in spending with Patriots... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones got his catches with a healthy Green. When Green was healthy, Lafell was non existent. Don't let those numbers fool you. They roll over money for guys like Sanu and Jones, then spend it on unproven players like Williams. So this year I guess money rolled over for Whit, Dre, Z will go to Dennard. and Au will cheer the plan.

I still maintain they DON"T spend the 5m on injuries as they clam. So where is that money? You think Gillberry and a kicker cost that much cap space?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin Jones got his catches with a healthy Green. When Green was healthy, Lafell was non existent. Don't let those numbers fool you.

Huh? That was Jones stats this year in Detroit. The best ability is availability and he has struggled with that his whole career.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: I intially had an issue with it too, but after thinking about it more I can find the math. I am going to back into the math here, and honestly it does make sense if you are looking to the future. The issue is it doesn't take into account letting guys go on expiring deals and such.

I think we will need around 9 million in cap for our draft picks when taking comp picks into account. That moves us down to roughly 35 Million in cap. Assume we are pulling out our pool for resigning Eiffert and Burfict next year, you can conservatively assume they will combine for 17 Million. This takes us down to around 18 Million in cap and the difference may be them pulling out money for UDFA and such along with their "injury" pool.

I think the big discrepancy is they are all ready earmarking funds for Burfict and Eiffert which they should, but Fans don't anticipate that. Now they could save money for next year by back loading those deals, but with their injury histories I'd take the big cap hit on them next year to save you if things go south later.

The other thing that needs to be accounted for is they will need more in the rookie pool when they presumably deal McCarron.  If they can get a first for him or wind up tradng back into the 1st, that could be a decent chunk of change.

However, I don't agree with setting aside money for Eifert and Burfict.  Both guys need to prove that they can stay healthy, and Burfict also needs to show that he can stay off the suspended list and show up in shape.  I would use the tag next year on one, if they prove worthy, and try to work a long term deal with the other before FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Huh? That was Jones stats this year in Detroit. The best ability is availability and he has struggled with that his whole career.

Oh ok. I thought those were his stat his last year here. Some are saying the replacement was a success because of the numbers, and we didn't miss Jones. My bad.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Oh ok. I thought those were his stat his last year here. Some are saying the replacement was a success because of the numbers, and we didn't miss Jones. My bad.

Na I am saying, if we were only going to get less than a full season of Jones the LaFell deal looks like a better deal.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will probably spend more than $15 million this year. I agree with that. How $42 million drops to $15 million is absurd though.

The team has $42.4 million in cap space. They said they are not spending the rollover from last year. $44.2m - $6.5m = $35.9m.

Rookie pool is reported at $9.1m, practice squad is ~$1m, and our ridiculous injury pool of $5m. $35.9m - $15.1m = $20.8m

So my guess is the Bengals plan on rolling over another $5m to next year which would put them in the $11-12m in total rollover to next season.

That brings them down to their $15m for free agency. I can make it work with the math. I'm simply saying they could spend the extra $5.8 this year instead of adding it to the rollover. They could also lower their injury money by a couple of million and then they're sitting in the $22-25m range.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: I intially had an issue with it too, but after thinking about it more I can find the math. I am going to back into the math here, and honestly it does make sense if you are looking to the future. The issue is it doesn't take into account letting guys go on expiring deals and such.

I think we will need around 9 million in cap for our draft picks when taking comp picks into account. That moves us down to roughly 35 Million in cap. Assume we are pulling out our pool for resigning Eiffert and Burfict next year, you can conservatively assume they will combine for 17 Million. This takes us down to around 18 Million in cap and the difference may be them pulling out money for UDFA and such along with their "injury" pool.

I think the big discrepancy is they are all ready earmarking funds for Burfict and Eiffert which they should, but Fans don't anticipate that. Now they could save money for next year by back loading those deals, but with their injury histories I'd take the big cap hit on them next year to save you if things go south later.

If they are holding back THAT much money for Eifert and Burfict, that's a problem. I'm sorry, but I'd prioritize Zeitler over Eifert. Sure, Eifert is an impact player when he's on the field, but he's missed so many games due to injury. Plus, he's not quite as good as Gronkowski, so he doesn't deserve $10+ million a year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they are holding back THAT much money for Eifert and Burfict, that's a problem. I'm sorry, but I'd prioritize Zeitler over Eifert. Sure, Eifert is an impact player when he's on the field, but he's missed so many games due to injury. Plus, he's not quite as good as Gronkowski, so he doesn't deserve $10+ million a year.

That was assuming we can get him for the second tier TE price of 8.5-9.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: That was assuming we can get him for the second tier TE price of 8.5-9.

IMO Eifert still isn't worth that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: IMO Eifert still isn't worth that.

Disagree, most the top TE have injury issues and his production while on the field is on par. The only thing is injuries, but as some analysts have said that is the nature of the position.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they are holding back THAT much money for Eifert and Burfict, that's a problem. I'm sorry, but I'd prioritize Zeitler over Eifert. Sure, Eifert is an impact player when he's on the field, but he's missed so many games due to injury. Plus, he's not quite as good as Gronkowski, so he doesn't deserve $10+ million a year.

I wouldn't re-sign him at all.  His injury history says it all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:50 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The Bengals will probably spend more than $15 million this year. I agree with that. How $42 million drops to $15 million is absurd though.

The team has $42.4 million in cap space. They said they are not spending the rollover from last year. $44.2m - $6.5m = $35.9m.

Rookie pool is reported at $9.1m, practice squad is ~$1m, and our ridiculous injury pool of $5m. $35.9m - $15.1m = $20.8m

So my guess is the Bengals plan on rolling over another $5m to next year which would put them in the $11-12m in total rollover to next season.

That brings them down to their $15m for free agency. I can make it work with the math. I'm simply saying they could spend the extra $5.8 this year instead of adding it to the rollover. They could also lower their injury money by a couple of million and then they're sitting in the $22-25m range.

It also needs to be remembered that not all of those rookies will make the team, and each one who does will take the place of a veteran player whose salary will drop off.
Reply/Quote
The funny/sad part (depending on how you look at it) is that if the Bengals do not re-sign Eifert, he will probably be the healthiest he's ever been and miss very few games with his next team.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Disagree, most the top TE have injury issues and his production while on the field is on par. The only thing is injuries, but as some analysts have said that is the nature of the position.

I understand that point. But when it might come down to being able to keep a top-notch RG like Zeitler vs Eifert, I'd prefer a stronger OL over a luxury TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ugh. Damn it's hard remaining a Bengals fan. And why is Pac-Man, Maualuga n michael Johnson not cut yet. We do we hang onto vets 5 years to many. I swear if oggieboggie starts the season as our left tackle I'm punching Alexander right in his fat face
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Ugh.  Damn it's hard remaining a Bengals fan.  And why is Pac-Man,  Maualuga n michael Johnson not cut yet.   We do we hang onto vets 5 years to many.   I swear if oggieboggie starts the season as our left tackle I'm punching Alexander right in his fat face

[Image: alexander110120_440.jpg]

Looks like someone already did punch him in the mouth/face. Swollen much?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Ugh.  Damn it's hard remaining a Bengals fan.  And why is Pac-Man,  Maualuga n michael Johnson not cut yet.   We do we hang onto vets 5 years to many.   I swear if oggieboggie starts the season as our left tackle I'm punching Alexander right in his fat face

When you do, please take pictures.  I'd pay to see that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that point. But when it might come down to being able to keep a top-notch RG like Zeitler vs Eifert, I'd prefer a stronger OL over a luxury TE.

The sad thing is the offensive line already isn't good WITH Zeitler...and now they'll lose him and be worse.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 02:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The sad thing is the offensive line already isn't good WITH Zeitler...and now they'll lose him and be worse.

A chilling thought.  But never fear.  Look who we have to hand pick and coach up linemen.

Reply/Quote