Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Much do you Trust Nugent?
Interceptor, that was actually the cherry on top. Nugent missed 3 in a row in a game earlier that year (if we recall). Everyone has bad days, so Marvin rode it out. But I'm sure the Steelers would have booted him. Think of any other team right now, 3 FGs in a row (unless they're all 50 yarders!) - probably gone the next game.

Shortly thereafter he missed the Panthers OT chipshot.

We need a trustworthy kicker. I'd hate to come back to this thread after the superbowl, lol.

Guess who called Nugent out after the missed Panthers kick? Adam Jones. Nugent has got to practice, he can do this, but maybe he needs a psychologist on top of it all lol.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
"How Much do you Trust Nugent?" You mean Ted? Cat scratch fever baby!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 11:24 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: The kick was 42 yards, in good weather, with a good snap and hold.  If it would have been 42.5 yards, it would not have gone in.  Earlier, I asked if anyone was going to feel good about him trotting onto the field at Gillette Stadium in January to kick a 45 yarder to win the game... I still don't see how anyone would.

I'll say yes.  Nugent has kicked at an 88% rate in December and January for his career and 81% in away games.  In December and January while he was in the AFC East, he was 92% in December and January.  He is 85% in away games on attempts between 40 and 49 yards.

I would say the stadiums that he has kicked in... (The old Meadowlands, Buffalo, and Gillette as a Jet) and (Heinz, and Cleveland as a Bengal) have not been kicker friendly.  Most of those stadiums are famously windy and Gillette, Heinz and Cleveland have or had grass surfaces.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 11:28 PM)Utts Wrote: Banking that kick off the upright is not a great job. It's a lousy job with a very lucky result.

nope.. if he hits it outside or too far left.. it goes the other way.. no different than a soccer player hitting the inside of the post and scoring..... luck is part of it but again anymore outside he misses it.. would i love it down the middle .. sure.. but end result is he made it.... 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 12:12 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: nope.. if he hits it outside or too far left.. it goes the other way.. no different than a soccer player hitting the inside of the post and scoring..... luck is part of it but again anymore outside he misses it.. would i love it down the middle .. sure.. but end result is he made it.... 

different cause theres no goalie to get around

But better than his kick 1 year ago vs carolina..

Getting lined up and the kick off to get to OT was great...

A win is a win and a made kick is a made kick no matter how ugly.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 12:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: different cause theres no goalie to get around

But better than his kick 1 year ago vs carolina..

Getting lined up and the kick off to get to OT was great...

A win is a win and a made kick is a made kick no matter how ugly.

I find this a bit interesting from cbs sports....   just puts into perspective a bit on how selective we might be when we view Nugent compared to other kickers right now

Fear the automatic field goal

This kicking scare is real. These dudes are spooked. Even the very good ones. Matt Bryantmissing from 38 yards was wild, and then he hits the opposite crossbar with a kick he normally makes, especially at his home dome in Atlanta. At about the same time Justin Tucker missed in Baltimore. The carnage just continues to mount.
Sure, some like youngster Travis Coons in Cleveland are bucking the trend, but Greg Zuerlein, who once appeared like he might push Tucker for the title of best young kicker, was awful for the Rams. He seemed lost at Lambeau Field on Sunday. And the Saints are still having kicking issues as well. I dare say this is going to be a trend that isn't going away anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
My wife is close friends with his sister and knows his mom well. He went through a tough stretch last year losing his dad.

He's a great guy who is a life long Bengals fan. He and Hawk are both from Centerville and both have always loved the Bengals.

It's painful to see him struggle at all since I know he's such a big fan as well as player.

I still have faith in him, but certainly I understand the doubt. Running out at the end of the game and popping the game tying FG was pretty impressive though for any kicker under the circumstances.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 12:36 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: My wife is close friends with his sister and knows his mom well.  He went through a tough stretch last year losing his dad.

He's a great guy who is a life long Bengals fan.  He and Hawk are both from Centerville and both have always loved the Bengals.

It's painful to see him struggle at all since I know he's such a big fan as well as player.

I still have faith in him, but certainly I understand the doubt.  Running out at the end of the game and popping the game tying FG was pretty impressive though for any kicker under the circumstances.

It was.  That field goal went right through, no problems.  Obviously I am far from being a Sports Psychologist, but I wonder if there is something mental?  The more time he has to think, the more it messes with him...
Reply/Quote
We should have kept Brown and let Nugent go when we had the chance.
Reply/Quote
Ohhhh the life of a kicker.

When I made this thread, he had just missed a kick, and everyone was like YA I DONT TRUST HIM.

Now he ping pongs a ball of the upright from 42 yards out and we trust him with the keys to the franchise.

I still don't trust him. That being said, good job yesterday Nuge. Not many kickers can fire alarm kick like that with great accuracy. That was impressive.
Reply/Quote
Nuge got lucky - and no - 1 game doesn't change my confidence in Nuge.

He's still 21st among active kickers in accuracy. Yet Nugent still has a stranglehold on the job.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 02:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Nuge got lucky - and no - 1 game doesn't change my confidence in Nuge.

He's still 21st among active kickers in accuracy. Yet Nugent still has a stranglehold on the job.  Ninja

yeah this morning facebook reminded me i was at the carolina game 1 year ago... all i could think about was him missing that kick... (last year)
Reply/Quote
I trust Nugent mostly because I look around the NFL and see kickers missing kicks like it is going out of style.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 12:26 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: I find this a bit interesting from cbs sports....   just puts into perspective a bit on how selective we might be when we view Nugent compared to other kickers right now

Fear the automatic field goal

This kicking scare is real. These dudes are spooked. Even the very good ones. Matt Bryantmissing from 38 yards was wild, and then he hits the opposite crossbar with a kick he normally makes, especially at his home dome in Atlanta. At about the same time Justin Tucker missed in Baltimore. The carnage just continues to mount.
Sure, some like youngster Travis Coons in Cleveland are bucking the trend, but Greg Zuerlein, who once appeared like he might push Tucker for the title of best young kicker, was awful for the Rams. He seemed lost at Lambeau Field on Sunday. And the Saints are still having kicking issues as well. I dare say this is going to be a trend that isn't going away anytime soon.

Make them earn their keep.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
For whatever reason, kickers are having a frighteningly profound impact upon an inordinate number of games thus far and it's only 5 weeks into the season. I assure you the last thing the NFL wanted was increased emphasis and attention to be placed upon a position so disregarded that only 1 full-fledged kicker in NFL history was deemed HOF-worthy.
Reply/Quote