Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
(03-07-2024, 06:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Noah Fant is the best option on the upcoming FA market to give stability to the TE position with Schultz already extended by HOU.
Honestly, the TE FA market is not good this year.

prefer Everett , love sign him to 3 yr.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fant badmouthed Denver claiming they didnt use him right, he goes to Seattle where he has back to back 4xx yard seasons, last year with zero TDs and this is a guy some of our fans think would be a good fit for the Bengals at a cost of 9 million a year? Hard pass on Fant especially when throughout his career he has been known as a poor blocker although he did step up to mediocre last year. If we want a mediocre blocker that can post a 400 yard season with zero TDs, there are plenty of options out there and they would be much cheaper than 9 million dollars per year.
Reply/Quote
My current wish is we land Bowers.

Brady to Gronk.
Mahomes to Kelce.
Burrow to Bowers.

That's my simple logic and fantasy gm'ing skills to win the Bengals a Super Bowl. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 07:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Fant was the guy i was eyeballing if they go FA. Stays healthy, high catch% the last 3 years and a pretty good YPC. He looks like a guy they could go after without breaking the bank and he's still in the middle of his prime. 

The FO is talking like a pass catcher isn't a priority but i wonder how much they really like Bowers. It would be interesting to see what happens in FA if they really have their eyes set on him. Chances are likely they'd need to trade up though. 

Funny story: I checked a couple recent mocks and several have Bowers going after the Bengals. Only saw one where he was taken a couple picks before the Bengals. Then i checked Walter's mock...

Dude has him going #5 to the Chargers. o_O
With aging WRs making big bank...and all the WR talent on the board...with the Chargers needing line help on both sides and a lot of other stuff...he has him going fifth to the Chargers.  Mellow

Wondering about Walters after this... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 07:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  prefer Everett , love sign him to 3 yr.

I like Everett too, good call Essex.

(03-07-2024, 08:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Fant badmouthed Denver claiming they didnt use him right, he goes to Seattle where he has back to back 4xx yard seasons, last year with zero TDs and this is a guy some of our fans think would be a good fit for the Bengals at a cost of 9 million a year?  Hard pass on Fant especially when throughout his career he has been known as a poor blocker although he did step up to mediocre last year.  If we want a mediocre blocker that can post a 400 yard season with zero TDs, there are plenty of options out there and they would be much cheaper than 9 million dollars per year.

He was right, they didn't use him right. Fant is younger than most out there and is a lot faster than anything we have had at TE since Eifert.

I haven't heard 9 mil per year on Fant either, that seems a stretch with those low numbers as of late.

(03-07-2024, 08:29 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My current wish is we land Bowers.

Brady to Gronk.
Mahomes to Kelce.
Burrow to Bowers.

That's my simple logic and fantasy gm'ing skills to win the Bengals a Super Bowl. Hilarious

I like your way bro.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 07:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  prefer Everett , love sign him to 3 yr.

Dude's too old for the Bengals to give a 3-year deal.
They have not signed a 30+ year old to a multi-year deal in recent years, and Everett turns 30 this Summer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would be happy with a TE room consisting of Sample, Hurst and Hudson, and pick up a rook in the draft. I know that doesn't equal the goal of a long-term solution, but that's a great blocker and two good pass catchers to match with Chase and Higgins and will make letting Boyd walk hurt less.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Dude's too old for the Bengals to give a 3-year deal.
They have not signed a 30+ year old to a multi-year deal in recent years, and Everett turns 30 this Summer.

I get the logic behind generally not signing older players to multi year deals, but I also think that exceptions can be made for some particular athletes.  I'm not sure that Gerald Everett is one of those guys, but I really feel like FS Justin Simmons would be fully worth investing in.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
To answer the OPs original question,

It's important - maybe now so more than ever. A TON of teams are playing 2 deep safety (to take away big plays) and having a good tight end is a very effective way in beating that.

Teams are 10000% prioritizing tight end now more than ever. It was evident in the draft last year and it's evident so far in free agency this year. Teams are locking up their quality tight ends to prevent them from hitting free agency.

Bengals need to find a good one, badly.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:10 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Everett too, good call Essex.

He was right, they didn't use him right. Fant is younger than most out there and is a lot faster than anything we have had at TE since Eifert.

I haven't heard 9 mil per year on Fant either, that seems a stretch with those low numbers as of late.

I like your way bro.  Cool

I can only guess that he was looking at the number upside down. Sportrac always seems a little high on their Market Value and they have him listed as 6.2M.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hunter Henry back to Pats.

3 yrs/$27 mil.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/3/8/24094367/patriots-hunter-henry-signed-nfl-free-agency-news
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hunter Henry back to Pats.

3 yrs/$27 mil.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2024/3/8/24094367/patriots-hunter-henry-signed-nfl-free-agency-news

Good deal for Henry and I suppose reveals what a TE will cost the Bengals in free agency. I wouldn't give any remaining free agent that much money for three years. Fant should come cheaper, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:08 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wondering about Walters after this... Mellow

Walters isn't to bad for player info. 

When it comes to mocks though, the bias shows thru a little to much, and I don't think he's a Bengals fan
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I can only guess that he was looking at the number upside down. Sportrac always seems a little high on their Market Value and they have him listed as 6.2M.

Thought so, thanks Rfaulk. Cool

(03-08-2024, 02:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Walters isn't to bad for player info. 

When it comes to mocks though, the bias shows thru a little to much, and I don't think he's a Bengals fan

The Chargers taking Bowers at 5 would be stupid with all their problems in the trenches and what should be available in maybe MHJ, Alt,
Murphy, Nabers. Like Rfaulk said they could get Harrison Jr or Nabers and cut the tons of money they have in aging WR's or upgrade both
lines. This would make way more sense.

That is all I am saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 02:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good deal for Henry and I suppose reveals what a TE will cost the Bengals in free agency. I wouldn't give any remaining free agent that much money for three years. Fant should come cheaper, right?

Maybe. Based on play/production, yes. 

But he is also the only TE worth much left on the market. I just would avoid the guy who has done nothing but underachieve. Not another Irv Smith. 

I'd much rather take that $7 mil & spend it on a vet S, help bring Reader back, or turn a mid level DT into an elite/near elite one (Wilkins, Williams). 

At TE, I am surprisingly comfortable with Sample & Hudson + a draft oick (Sanders, Stover, Johnson, Sinnott, Bell, Reiman) and/or Hurst. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 02:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good deal for Henry and I suppose reveals what a TE will cost the Bengals in free agency. I wouldn't give any remaining free agent that much money for three years. Fant should come cheaper, right?

That's not good news for the Bengals if they had plans to go after Fant. He should be slotted just a little behind Henry.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 03:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Maybe. Based on play/production, yes. 

But he is also the only TE worth much left on the market. I just would avoid the guy who has done nothing but underachieve. Not another Irv Smith. 

I'd much rather take that $7 mil & spend it on a vet S, help bring Reader back, or turn a mid level DT into an elite/near elite one (Wilkins, Williams). 

At TE, I am surprisingly comfortable with Sample & Hudson + a draft oick (Sanders, Stover, Johnson, Sinnott, Bell, Reiman) and/or Hurst. 

Fant has done way more than Irv Jr.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 05:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not good news for the Bengals if they had plans to go after Fant. He should be slotted just a little behind Henry.

Fant is also the only TE left on the "top FA" lists. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 05:22 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Fant is also the only TE left on the "top FA" lists. 

Sounds like drafting one might be the best way to go seeing how much Henry cost. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 05:22 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Fant is also the only TE left on the "top FA" lists. 

After seeing his RAS, i'm once again (still) intrigued...

If they could get him at 8M per, that puts him right in the middle of the pack at AAV.

Fant, Sample, Hudson sounds like a good room to me.

Reply/Quote