Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(07-20-2020, 07:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Would love to hear your honest opinion on whether or not you think all of these leagues should be starting up over the next couple of weeks.

I don’t know how they’re going to pull it off. It has gotten crazy here in GA. I expect things will get worse after school begins. And continue to worsen with the start of flu season.

If one person on the team tests positive they should be out a minimum of 10 days if the NFL adopts the return to play protocol based upon symptoms. Possibly longer if the adopt the return to play protocol based upon repeat testing. Anyone within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for more than 10 minutes is considered a significant exposure and they should self isolate to stop the spread. That could take out an entire position group for 1-2 games.

Look at what happened to Whitworth’s family as an example.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t know how they’re going to pull it off. It has gotten crazy here in GA. I expect things will get worse after school begins. And continue to worsen with the start of flu season.

If one person on the team tests positive they should be out a minimum of 10 days if the NFL adopts the return to play protocol based upon symptoms. Possibly longer if the adopt the return to play protocol based upon repeat testing. Anyone within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for more than 10 minutes is considered a significant exposure and they should self isolate to stop the spread. That could take out an entire position group for 1-2 games.

Look at what happened to Whitworth’s family as an example.

Over here, we went into a mini preseason before we restarted our competition. At the start of that players were limited to who they could train with to minimise exposure. Looking at what happened over here, our first competition that restarted set targets to meet on the road to restarting and gradually ticked those off. When we first announced we were restarting on July 28th everyone said it was impossible, but as I have said previously our sporting organisations got on the front foot and led the country in setting up protocols and biosecurity measures. This is what I'd like to see the NFL do, in saying that, our players were complaining days out from training resuming that they hadn't seen the plans either. These things are complicated and take time. 

Not only would the NFL be looking at biosecurity measures, they may also be looking at a change in structure to the season, less games, shorter games, rejigging broadcast arrangements, what to do with crowds. These were all decisions that sport over here made and they are big and time consuming decisions to make, and involve consultation with many different partners including players associations, numerous broadcast partners, the teams, government and venues. Though it seems the NFL is leaving a lot of decisions to the teams themselves which is disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:53 AM)Big Boss Wrote: After potentially not playing college football for a year and a half?  

Idk if we somehow still got the #1 pick (yeah right) I’d be pretty excited about taking Sewell. Year off or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Looks like the NFL will be cancelling all pre-season games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29505303/nfl-offers-players-scrap-all-preseason-games
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's odd.  I can clearly remember hearing the Sports radio people talking about Coronavirus protocols released by the NFL, just this past weekend.  Now, I only listened a few minutes, as I had reached my destination, but I distinctly remember them talking about IR policy changes that were specific to this year, specifically relating to Coronavirus situations.

The NFL didn’t release a testing protocol until today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/20/nfl-sets-coronavirus-testing-protocol-after-stars-lash-out/amp/
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The NFL didn’t release a testing protocol until today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/20/nfl-sets-coronavirus-testing-protocol-after-stars-lash-out/amp/

Weird, as I listened to sports radio yesterday, and did not, today.  Oh well, maybe they were just highlighting the info that that was leaked??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weird, as I listened to sports radio yesterday, and did not, today.  Oh well, maybe they were just highlighting the info that that was leaked??

Just reading their protocol to get into the facility raises questions. They need two negative tests and the 2nd test has to be 72 hours after the first. Where are they supposed to stay during those 4 days? How do they ensure they isolate during those 4 days?
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just reading their protocol to get into the facility raises questions. They need two negative tests and the 2nd test has to be 72 hours after the first. Where are they supposed to stay during those 4 days? How do they ensure they isolate during those 4 days?

I read somewhere players are not required to stay at a hotel, they have an option home or hotel. If correct, they go home like anyone else does until cleared,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I read somewhere players are not required to stay at a hotel, they have an option home or hotel. If correct, they go home like anyone else does until cleared,

I understand the first test to identify asymptomatic carriers. But, if the players aren’t in isolation what’s the point of the second test? Because they could get the virus during the 72 hour window and still test negative the second time. Once they are in the facility they get tested daily for the first two weeks.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Look at what happened to Whitworth’s family as an example.

What happened to Whit's family?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What happened to Whit's family?

They decided to quarantine by taking a family trip and staying at a hotel at a theme park.  Whit decided to drive cross country.  He had tons of problems with the car along the way.  Their aunt who went with them actually died on the way out.  They finally got all the way out there just to find out the park was closed.

Needless to say everyone was really upset, especially Russ and Audrey..
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What happened to Whit's family?

Like 7 people in his family got Covid. Him, kids, in-laws, everyone.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 09:29 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They decided to quarantine by taking a family trip and staying at a hotel at a theme park.  Whit decided to drive cross country.  He had tons of problems with the car along the way.  Their aunt who went with them actually died on the way out.  They finally got all the way out there just to find out the park was closed.

Needless to say everyone was really upset, especially Russ and Audrey..

Hope he didn't eat the bologna sammiches....
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 06:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The rates of infection started to increase after the states began to re-open. Most states didn’t meet the federal guidelines of 14 conservative days of decreasing case numbers. Hospitalizations lag behind new cases. And deaths lag behind hospitalizations. The southwest and southeast are both seeing increases in cases greater than the increase in testing. In record numbers. Hospitalizations are on the rise again. Hot spots are seeing shortages of ICU beds again. Arizona has started transferring patients to New Mexico.

All across the south it’s a full blown trend. No need to wait until the end of July to make that decision.

Actually not at all. Here is Texas and other states such as Florida the bug was receding nicely all during May and early June  despite the states opening up on May 1.  Then the Floyd protests hit south Texas real strong at the end of May and early June, with 10's of thousands attending his funeral.  Three weeks later the case load started growing mainly in south Texas but soon spreading north.  Cause and effect?
You decide.  Yet despite this second wave, whatever its origins, the death rate for Texas and Florida is 1/10 that of New York with almost the same overall case load.  I call that learning to manage and better understanding the bug's risks.   After 4 months of dealing with the bug, I think the numbers show progress is being made, certainly in keeping the bug from being a killer.  The NFL will have far tighter daily protocols than society at large and can tightly control numbers of players and how they congregate.  They can practice far more pervasive sanitation than the general public. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Looks like the NFL will be cancelling all pre-season games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29505303/nfl-offers-players-scrap-all-preseason-games

Man, gonna be hard for our young players and coaches to get into their scheme then.

Hopefully practice goes extremely well.
Reply/Quote
How on Earth are the coaches going to trim down these rosters without live game reps?

This is gonna be such a bizarre season (provided it even happens).
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:36 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Actually not at all. Here is Texas and other states such as Florida the bug was receding nicely all during May and early June  despite the states opening up on May 1.  Then the Floyd protests hit south Texas real strong at the end of May and early June, with 10's of thousands attending his funeral.  Three weeks later the case load started growing mainly in south Texas but soon spreading north.  Cause and effect?
You decide.  Yet despite this second wave, whatever its origins, the death rate for Texas and Florida is 1/10 that of New York with almost the same overall case load.  I call that learning to manage and better understanding the bug's risks.   After 4 months of dealing with the bug, I think the numbers show progress is being made, certainly in keeping the bug from being a killer.  The NFL will have far tighter daily protocols than society at large and can tightly control numbers of players and how they congregate.  They can practice far more pervasive sanitation than the general public. 

Just a cursory check of the data indicates neither Texas or Florida met the federal recommendations of 14 days of decreasing cases.  Texas had a record number of new cases (at that time) of 1,855 on May 28th which is too early for that spike to be related to the Floyd protests on May 29th, June 2nd, or June 8th in Houston.  Clearly the cases were already on the rise and definitely not "receding nicely" due to Governor Abbott ignoring federal recommendations and re-opening.  The protests exacerbated an already ongoing problem.

As of Saturday, Houston had a record number of people in the ICU for Covid 19.  Harris County health district saw an 11% increase in ICU occupancy.  Texas Medical Center had surpassed 100% ICU capacity.  Texas set a record for hospitalizations and deaths and it was the worst week for deaths since the pandemic began. 

NYC has the population of Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, and Arlington combined.  There is a big difference in population density.  Plus they were hit at the beginning of the pandemic compared to months later. It's an apples to oranges comparison.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 05:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just a cursory check of the data indicates neither Texas or Florida met the federal recommendations of 14 days of decreasing cases.  Texas had a record number of new cases (at that time) of 1,855 on May 28th which is too early for that spike to be related to the Floyd protests on May 29th, June 2nd, or June 8th in Houston.  Clearly the cases were already on the rise and definitely not "receding nicely" due to Governor Abbott ignoring federal recommendations and re-opening.  The protests exacerbated an already ongoing problem.

As of Saturday, Houston had a record number of people in the ICU for Covid 19.  Harris County health district saw an 11% increase in ICU occupancy.  Texas Medical Center had surpassed 100% ICU capacity.  Texas set a record for hospitalizations and deaths and it was the worst week for deaths since the pandemic began. 

NYC has the population of Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, and Arlington combined.  There is a big difference in population density.  Plus they were hit at the beginning of the pandemic compared to months later. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

True and why one size fits all is a bad way to manage the virus. Mask mandates in South Dakota is dumb, but in NYC great idea. n time, we will see the death rates within 30 days as the current cases are resolved hopefully gone or sadly result in death. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
My daughter and grandson who is 16 are in day 5 of quarantine. Grandson has no symptoms and no issues. My daughter had no symptoms within 2 days of being diagnosed, but tired easily. She is back to normal now. She is 43 and doctor said they both had mild cases which was great news.

In time, they will get better at treatment and hopefully low risk for death for anyone less than 65 with no underlying medical issues, I have not seen my daughter f grandchildren now for over 3 months. Good thing for Face Time for us. The other 3 members in their family did not get it which is very strange to me. Why? No masks were worn at home and they barely left the house. So all 5 were always together.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 06:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My daughter and grandson who is 16 are in day 5 of quarantine. Grandson has no symptoms and no issues. My daughter had no symptoms within 2 days of being diagnosed, but tired easily. She is back to normal now. She is 43 and doctor said they both had mild cases which was great news.

In time, they will get better at treatment and hopefully low risk for death for anyone less than 65 with no underlying medical issues, I have not seen my daughter f grandchildren now for over 3 months. Good thing for Face Time for us. The other 3 members in their family did not get it which is very strange to me. Why? No masks were worn at home and they barely left the house. So all 5 were always together.

I absolutely know you didn't intend to write it in this context, but I can't stop laughing LOL

I'm glad to hear they are doing well and already past the worst of it :)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote