Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you give Taylor?
(02-20-2020, 01:53 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh? Is Taylor an atheist or something?

Pretty sure it was a Star Wars reference lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 16 years without a playoff win is where I would draw the line.

Ninja

When you say it that way, the bar is set pretty low. 

I'm sticking with my thoughts after we hired zt: examine things at the end of the second year. Give him time to get a few players in place, get players into his style.if we're heading in the right direction at the end of season, then stay the course. If we're picking first again, then it's time to move on.

Honestly, I'll be happy with good player development and anything over 7 wins.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Frankly, I'd have fired him already. But since that didn't happen, he needs to show A LOT of improvement to be considered for a 3rd year.

Remember, each year of inept coaching is wasting away the talent on the roster.

We didn't have much talent when zt got here. Seriously, I thought the team looked better at the end of last year than at the end of Marvin's last year.
Reply/Quote
Record notwithstanding, as long as the team on the field is playing with heart and urgency and not bungling into each other (i.e. chasing Lamar Jackson), I will support Taylor. By the 4th year I am expecting playoff contender or bust.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
My floor is 8-8.

Two things change that though.

If they play some damn good football with creative play calling he stays.

If they look like a vanilla ass pre-season team that wins less than 8 games... next!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a fan of the team, I really don't get much say in the matter.  So, I guess I'll support him as long as the team does.

This.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If he’s even still available by then...

Right, he's likely to be a very hot prospect and have NFL and college HC offers.  The chances of him signing up to be the next guy hung out to dry by MB is low. 

Hopefully Burrow alone will be able to attract some interest for HC if ZT goes bust, but I'd wager we just go Darrin Simmons until MB croaks if that happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:52 AM)jason Wrote: The 49ers went from having the second pick in the draft to the Super Bowl. 7-9 ain't a lot to ask.

The Niners were bottom feeders for years and traded for their QB and other FAs to get where the were this year. If MB does this then you will have a comparable example. Everyone needs to remember that the HC in Cincy is not its own entity, it is an extension of the FO. Sort of like a puppet who has to be a MB supporter to keep his job. This is why you will never get an established HC to work for MB.  Marv over time wrested as much power away from the FO as you are likely to see as long as MB is above ground. If Zac has success then he will have leverage to get some control but until then expect more of the same things you have seen since MB took the reins.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: True, but it was also Shanahan's 3rd season. He was 10-22 in his first 2 years.

No argument from me that Kyle is the better coach, but again; there's a steep drop off from a Super Bowl appearance and a .500ish record. Taylor kept saying how close we were last year... Needs to be results this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:24 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  The Niners were bottom feeders for years and traded for their QB and other FAs to get where the were this year. If MB does this then you will have a comparable example. Everyone needs to remember that the HC in Cincy is not its own entity, it is an extension of the FO. Sort of like a puppet who has to be a MB supporter to keep his job. This is why you will never get an established HC to work for MB.  Marv over time wrested as much power away from the FO as you are likely to see as long as MB is above ground. If Zac has success then he will have leverage to get some control but until then expect more of the same things you have seen since MB took the reins.

Marvin also had a 6 game turnaround in year one. It's also easy to forget he was the hot coaching candidate for a few years when he came to Cincinnati.

Also; the 49ers weren't down that long. They were in the Super Bowl in 2012, and the NFC championship game the following year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
As a fan I gave him however long it takes him to shape this roster he he likes and get 1-2 seasons with “his” roster.

You gottta give a Bengals coach longer because the ownership is so trash and works against coaches so much
Reply/Quote
well given he didn't bring in an OC this year.... If theres not great improvement this season im not sure he will get another Burrow on the roster will attracted some coaches.
Reply/Quote
This year is going to have a lot to do with how I feel about Taylor. I am encouraged that he is willing to pull underperformers out of the lineup and give others a chance but at the same time, he has to step up his game as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 11:36 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: As a fan, how long are you going to give Taylor to prove he can cut it as a HC? What will he have to do to prove himself to you too? I am going to let last year slide a little bit since he had to overcome some things, and he had 0 NFL experience being a play caller. For me, next year is huge for him. He needs to go at least 7-9. I don't expect him to go to the playoffs. I want to see the offensive playcalling get much better too. I felt like it was pretty horrible last year. My biggest concern is that he and Brown might kill Burrow.

By next year, do you mean this year?

If it is, I agree. He needs to get this team at least back to single-digit losses for me to have any faith in him.
And then needs to be back to a winning record in 2021.
And then back to the playoffs in 2022.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Five years total

First year is evaluation
second year is improvement
third year is make the Playoffs
fourth year is make AFC Championship
fifth year is Super Bowl

Of course, there are circumstances that may arise that happen but that is what I look for
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
It doesn't matter what we think. We are entering year 2 of the 17 year run. The honeymoon is still on and probably will be until 2030 in MB's eyes.

The point is moot anyway. Burrow will save his job.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If he's horrible again this year, then he needs to go.

I hate setting baseline win totals because they rarely tell a story (unless we're talking 15-1/16-0 vs 1-15/0-16).

But if this team goes out and gives us 3-4 wins and looks downright awful, then yes - we'll have seen enough.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Do I have a choice?
Reply/Quote
If he wins 0-4 games, fire him after the season.
If he wins 5-8 games, give him another year.
If he wins 9+, let his contract ride.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
With all the holes on defense & OL, I don't think the Bengals will be a .500 team this year even with a good off season.

For me it depends on how much improvement there is throughout the year. If the defense is still bad and the offense struggles early w/a rookie QB but plays like a top 10 offense the 2nd half, you ride the wave with Taylor another year and try out a new DC.
Reply/Quote