Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huber vs Chrisman-Huber won
(08-30-2022, 07:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: Why not just drag Rottenbooger out of retirement and trade JoeyB.. One always needs a rapist at the helm, huh? 

Truth, big no to Rapistariza...
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2022, 06:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Several teams have cut their punters today...

A purge.

The Night of the Long Snaps
Reply/Quote
As expected, it was a tough call for Simmons:

"Darrin Simmons, the Bengals' longest-tenured special teams coordinator in the NFL, admitted a two-decade first.

He flip-flopped on the punter.

"Many times. Many times. Many times," Simmons said Tuesday after making the toughest of calls in the NFL.

https://www.bengals.com/news/how-kevin-huber-won-the-punting-job-and-other-notes
Reply/Quote
Definitely have to wonder if Chrisman has a PS spot waiting for him if no one claims him. Also have to wonder if he'd pick our PS over someone else's. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:31 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Definitely have to wonder if Chrisman has a PS spot waiting for him if no one claims him. Also have to wonder if he'd pick our PS over someone else's. 

I would say yes to both questions 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:31 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Definitely have to wonder if Chrisman has a PS spot waiting for him if no one claims him. Also have to wonder if he'd pick our PS over someone else's. 

Yes I think he has a PS position, here. I think he would choose Cincinnati over another team unless the other team was paying more. Drue is from Cincinnati. He and his wife a have a newborn. Staying near home could be important to him.

The Bills board was all in on signing former Titan Brett Kern
And the Bills have supposedly reached out to him but then Drue was released. Now they are having the same old guy vs new guy discussion we’ve been having.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 06:11 AM)pally Wrote: Yes I think he has a PS position, here.  I think he would choose Cincinnati over another team unless the other team was paying more.  Drue is from Cincinnati.  He and his wife a have a newborn.  Staying near home could be important to him.

The Bills board was all in on signing former Titan Brett Kern
And the Bills have supposedly reached out to him but then Drue was released.  Now they are having the same old guy vs new guy discussion we’ve been having.

Chrisman's bazooka-leg just makes too much sense for Buffalo stadium with its winds and snow and record cold. They had a game last year against the Patriots (maybe it the year before -- I remember my son went to the game) where it was basically a punting game because of the weather. I think the Patriots QB threw the ball only three or so times. Need a big leg there.

I hope the Bengals can keep Chrisman, rather than start all over next year. But he does make sense for Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 07:32 AM)Nepa Wrote: Chrisman's bazooka-leg just makes too much sense for Buffalo stadium with its winds and snow and record cold. They had a game last year against the Patriots (maybe it the year before -- I remember my son went to the game) where it was basically a punting game because of the weather. I think the Patriots QB threw the ball only three or so times. Need a big leg thee.

I hope the Bengals can keep Chrisman, rather than start all over next year. But he does make sense for Buffalo.

I knew if I were 36 years old and had spent my career kicking in nice southern weather like Brett Kern, I would seriously be wondering if I wanted to subject myself to kicking in Buffalo and  most of the AFCE stadiums week in and week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Here is a point we might be missing on Huber.

A lot of fans have commented that he is old and looked bad at the end of last season. I agree with both those comments, but a punter usually does not wear down from the workload of a football season. Unlike position players, a punters workload during a season is not a lot different from his year round training. So I don't think his age had anything to do with his slump at the end of the year.

Hopefully the problem (minor injury? personal problem?) has been corrected.

His shank at the end of the Wildcard game seemed like a sign to me that we were about to blow it. You guys still remember how it felt watching that game when we still had not won a playoff game in 100 years?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 05:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: All of these are what I was thinking but then I thought, "if we're close enough for Huber to pin them inside the 10 with directional kicks, wouldn't we be close enough for McPherson to kick a field goal?" 

If he's hitting from 65, that means getting to the 48, and Huber only averages 46 per punt. It almost might be worth it to try to improve Chrisman's accuracy so that, in the rare instance that we don't get too far downfield, Chrisman can pin them deep.

You can't regularly rely on your kicker to hit 65 yard field goals. The Bengals will probably never use McPherson to try one that long unless it's going into half or end the game. 

If our defense is as good as we hope it makes way more sense to pin the other team deep and then get the back back with good field position than risk giving them the ball at the 45. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a point we might be missing on Huber.

A lot of fans have commented that he is old and looked bad at the end of last season.  I agree with both those comments, but a punter usually does not wear down from the workload of a football season.  Unlike position players, a punters workload during a season is not a lot different from his year round training.  So I don't think his age had anything to do with his slump at the end of the year.

Hopefully the problem (minor injury? personal problem?) has been corrected.

His shank at the end of the Wildcard game seemed like a sign to me that we were about to blow it.  You guys still remember how it felt watching that game when we still had not won a playoff game in 100 years?

He was taking injections in his hip. I'd guess he just had some inflammation. 
Reply/Quote