Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hue interviewing today.......
(01-03-2019, 01:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I understand the desire for a fresh start, but this "whole coaching staff needs to be re-worked" stuff is beyond me. Van Pelt is a very good QB coach. Pollack is a very good line coach. Simmons is a very good ST coach. Replacing people just to be replacing them is likely not going to get you a better candidate.

My hope is new external HC. Mike Brown is known for hating change, agree ? If we do get a totally new HC let him hand pick his staff as much as he wants.

I said if Pollack, Van Pelt, or even Simmons survive so be it. But on the other hand if they go so be it. 

We need a DC, Haslett has to go, I'm not impressed at all with Lazor I think he's average at best. I'm not so sure we don't need a new strength and conditioning guy and on and on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:40 PM)depthchart Wrote: Teams with QB's on rookie contracts seem to be doing well.

The young QBs seem to be adjusting to the league fairly quickly.

The Browns have a young core of stars while our core is aging.

If the right person headed the transition, then it could reap benefits within a few years.

Could stack up on Draft picks and get young.

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jury is still out on Pollack, imo. He certainly wasn’t the savior we were all hoping he’d be.

I think he did a damn fine job with what he was given to work with. People can hack on Price all they want, but he is a rookie center that missed the first half of the season due to injury. Bobby Hart showed vast improvement. Trey Hopkins showed he has what it takes to play center in this league. All of this is under Pollack, who was crippled with Alexander's choices....give him a year or 2 of drafting the linemen he wants, and then judge him.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dalton ? It all depends ? If by a small miracle MB goes with a total turnover in Coaching staff, new outside HC and he wants a fresh start at QB I'm not opposed to it.

But I still maintain that Dalton has not been this teams major problem. And just going from average QB a to average QB b isn't going to help much.

We need a short and long term plan.

Again I think we are on the same page. If Mike Brown goes with Hue or some other form of “continuity” drafting another QB into that culture would likely yield the same results or worse.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I wouldn't be against it.....there is a lot of cash that could be saved.  I'd keep the younger vets like Boyd and some others, and look to move the older vets like Dalton, Green, Gio, maybe Geno if I was going all out rebuild.

Agreed. I would want to build around Boyd and Mixon, etc and move the older guys and any player displaying clear signs of being “Bengalized”.
Reply/Quote
It sounds more and more like Hue is going to become the OC for the Vikings.
https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Hue-Jackson-Vikings-offensive-coordinator-buzz-127264993/

This could mean he's not leading the pack for the Bengals HC (or OC) position and/or he really wants to work with Mike Zimmer again.
Either way, we may not have to worry about Hue Jackson on the Bengals sideline.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 06:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It sounds more and more like Hue is going to become the OC for the Vikings.
https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Hue-Jackson-Vikings-offensive-coordinator-buzz-127264993/

This could mean he's not leading the pack for the Bengals HC (or OC) position and/or he really wants to work with Mike Zimmer again.
Either way, we may not have to worry about Hue Jackson on the Bengals sideline.

The Vikings can have him.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  We may be considering him for OC.

I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Tiger I wouldn't either Fred.

My top choices (and I'll prob get flamed for this)

HC...Eric Bienemy
OC...Hue Jackson

get ready, here it comes...

DC...Kerry Coombs

All 3 are high energy, in your face type coaches. Plus, Coombs would put asses in seats...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I am a long time Bengals fan who lives in Northeastern Ohio. I am very familiar with the Browns. While I don’t really want Hue as our head coach I don’t think his record is as bad as it seems. In 2016 and 2017 the Browns had such a lack of talent I don’t think even Bill Belichek could have won with that roster. I think John Dorsey recognized that which is why he didn’t fire Hue after the 2017 season. This year with even a mediocre kicker they should have beaten the Steelers, Saints, and Buccaneers. Yes, I know Hue drafted the kicker, he looked great in college as did John Ross. They had the Raider’s game won had not a first down been reversed which the NFL admitted was a mistake. The main reason Hue was fired this year was his refusal to start Baker Mayfield at the beginning of the season and infighting between him and Todd Hailey.

No, I don’t think Hue is a great head coach, he may just not be as terrible as Bengal fans believe.
Reply/Quote
Hue is a decent OC nothing more.

Edit:
If it just HAS to between Hue and Lazor give me Hue for OC

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 03:50 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Hue is a decent OC nothing more.

Edit:
If it just HAS to between Hue and Lazor give me Hue.

No, give me Lazor. At least Lazor has yet to show if he can be a good HC, Hue has failed twice now....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, give me Lazor. At least Lazor has yet to show if he can be a good HC, Hue has failed twice now....

Moot point.  Both are lazy hires that will hurt the team.  How have lazy hires gone for them lately?  Marvin's extension last year? Zampese?  Garbage.

Any team with Hue Jackson as a HC is a guarantee to get wrecked epically against real teams.  Lazor has yet to prove this, but I don't give him much more credibility.  He's an average to below average guy that no other team would dream of hiring for a HC.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:43 PM)samhain Wrote: Moot point.  Both are lazy hires that will hurt the team.  How have lazy hires gone for them lately?  Marvin's extension last year? Zampese?  Garbage.

Any team with Hue Jackson as a HC is a guarantee to get wrecked epically against real teams.  Lazor has yet to prove this, but I don't give him much more credibility.  He's an average to below average guy that no other team would dream of hiring for a HC.

I don't want either, my point was that between the two, I take unknown of Lazor over the proven failure of Hue
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't want either, my point was that between the two, I take unknown of Lazor over the proven failure of Hue

I don't think I could accept either one, but you make a fair point.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, give me Lazor. At least Lazor has yet to show if he can be a good HC, Hue has failed twice now....

I was talking about OC not HC. Both can get lost for that job.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 03:48 PM)Wader1 Wrote: No, I don’t think Hue is a great head coach, he may just not be as terrible as Bengal fans believe.

That is probably accurate.  However there is now a stigma of losing now associated with Hue Jackson.  After being trolled by players from our in-State rival, twice during crushing defeats to them, I just think that you can't move the organization forward by keeping that guy around.

Like him or hate him, Hue Jackson has some value as a coach in the NFL.  Personally, I think it would be best for both Jackson and the Bengals, if Jackson just sought a coaching position with another franchise.  Sometimes a clean break is best for all parties involved.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
^ Yeah ideally we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 05:43 PM)samhain Wrote: Moot point.  Both are lazy hires that will hurt the team.  How have lazy hires gone for them lately?  Marvin's extension last year? Zampese?  Garbage.

Agreed. I can't see any other team looking at Lazor seriously for a HC vacancy. 

- He did an "ok" job as a coordinator on a bad team
- He wasn't exactly a wild success in Miami

Teams usually look at coaches on successful teams (see Reich, McVay, Bieniemy) or guys who really had big-time success as a coordinator (see Todd Monken). Or hot names from the college ranks. Nothing about Lazor would excite a fan base. He's as bland as it gets. Not hating on the guy. It is what it is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote