Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurst to Panthers
(03-15-2023, 01:38 PM)Synric Wrote: We are probably staring down the best TE draft class since 2018.

Imagine if Brock Bowers was in this class too.
WOO BOY!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:12 PM)Brandon00151 Wrote: What the actual ****! Is this team trying to lose? What the hell are they thinking?! This has to be the worst I've seen the Bengals do in free agency in a long time! At this rate, we won't even make the playoffs this year if this keeps up.

[Image: 5bad93d2200000e500ff0d8c.jpeg?ops=scalef..._noupscale]

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b9522uyx8zc7dym6723bbjc...w.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
This is the time of year that I enjoy the least. We are sitting here and still have no idea what the roster will look like in September.

I still think they add a TE, S and RT in free agency. Guys that were like Hurst last year - young enough and can fill in without a production drop off.

Obviously we have the draft. I'm just sitting here and wondering what I missing when people say that we have taken a huge step back. The only spot that we took a step back is FS. I think Dax is Bell's replacement (I always thought he would be Bell's replacement when he got drafted) and we sign a vet FS. I guess I don't see where the sky is falling.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 02:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hurst was injured quite a bit last year and hes getting older. He's not worth the money, he looked better because Joe made him look better. I liked Hurst but he is easily replaceable.

I find it funny that he said "I found a home in Cincy and want to stay here for a long time"  I guess one year is a long time...

He said he liked it here and thought he found a home but best as I can find never said he wanted to stay here for a long time. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/10/1/23381485/hayden-hurst-says-hes-found-his-home-with-bengals

Quote:“Just from where I was last year, kind of struggling, not enjoying football, to coming here and being presented an opportunity,” Hurst said after Thursday’s win. “I was telling the guys I feel like I’ve gone to heaven coming here. It’s just incredible. Coaches value me, I’m being used the right way. It’s taken five years, but I think I’ve finally found a home.”

Money talks and an average TE getting up there in age is smart to take the money and leave that home.  I really like the guy as a person and a player. He took the path a lot of of average aging free agents take, the smart move for the money, and started building more on that early retirement fund over being at home. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Imagine if Brock Bowers was in this class too.
WOO BOY!

Brock Bowers is a dude. I'm looking forward to seeing if the Minnesota Tight End Brevyn Spann-Ford takes that next step in 2023. Also Jaheim Bell from South Carolina will probably finally come out next year lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Talent/Production is easy to replace on Paper... But extra effort that gains first downs and things went a long way last year... Lets hope we find another that plays just as hard.

Not only that but good chemistry, leadership and doing everything else we don't see is vital.When Hurst got acclimated he became a really important piece of the offense and got those extra YAC.
Reply/Quote
Worst move in free agency so far. So pissed
Reply/Quote
Sad to see him go and good on him but he’ll find it a different proposition without Joey B throwing around.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Pshaw, the only thing that got rebuilt was Hurst's value on the open market, dadgummit!  He and Uzo got paid that Burrow Bonus because of the Burrow Bump.  Who is next in line?

And no, it won't be Drew Sample...I don't think.

Lmao at Drew Sample. Ugh. Zac must have been over in Newport the night before the draft and got his Urban Meyer on. 
Reply/Quote
Small sample size, but something to think about....

While Hurst was out for 3 games Wilcox had 10 receptions for 79 yards and a TD. That is a 7.9 yard per reception, 3.3 catch per game, and .33 TD per game pace. Hurst over the season had 7.96 yards per reception, 4 catches per game, and .15 TD per game.

Again, it's a small sample size but I think it is really worth noting that while Hurst was gone our production out of that position really didn't change much and that was with a journeyman/UDFA guy manning the spot. When you then look back at what CJ did while he was here the year before I think it is pretty apparent that the production from that position in this offense right now is probably more of a function of the offense more so than the person manning it.

I am glad Hurst got paid, he seems like a good dude, but I would go as far as saying we can basically put anyone in that position and get similar results out of it at this point.
Reply/Quote
By the way he got 3 years $21.75 million at $13 million guaranteed.

That is insane for what he is.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Small sample size, but something to think about....

While Hurst was out for 3 games Wilcox had 10 receptions for 79 yards and a TD. That is a 7.9 yard per reception, 3.3 catch per game, and .33 TD per game pace. Hurst over the season had 7.96 yards per reception, 4 catches per game, and .15 TD per game.

Again, it's a small sample size but I think it is really worth noting that while Hurst was gone our production out of that position really didn't change much and that was with a journeyman/UDFA guy manning the spot. When you then look back at what CJ did while he was here the year before I think it is pretty apparent that the production from that position in this offense right now is probably more of a function of the offense more so than the person manning it.

I am glad Hurst got paid, he seems like a good dude, but I would go as far as saying we can basically put anyone in that position and get similar results out of it at this point.

Tight End position is one I believe the Bengals can get alot more out of production wise. There were so many catch an run opportunites for the TE's/RB's and no one really capitalized.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
His production shouldn't be hard to replace.

The tough thing about this is that they are lining themselves up to be obligated to draft (possibly multiple) TEs.

It's a great draft for that, but they are also very likely drafting a running back. Likely both positions on the first 2 days of the draft.

I dislike this scenario. Those are two fairly limited positions on this offense. They run sparingly, and the TE is the 4th receiving option. A single guy at either position will be splitting snaps.

Spending 2 high picks on these less-featured positions means missing out on guys at premium, ie more expensive positions in early rounds. Tight ends and running backs are relatively affordable. DL, OL, DB, WR are not. They will need all the young talent they can get at those spots when it's time to pay the superstars.

They could certainly make moves between now and the draft, but there's a lot of indication that's they'll invest significant draft capital in positions that the current scheme doesn't necessarily prioritize. Guess we'll see how it shakes out.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: By the way he got 3 years $21.75 million at $13 million guaranteed.

Yep similar to CJ and with a year closer to redoing contracts smart move to let him go like we did with CJ
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:26 PM)wanga Wrote: Sad to see him go and good on him but he’ll find it a different proposition without Joey B throwing around.

Hurst will be Dalton’s favorite target.
Reply/Quote
Don't blame Hurst for this at all. I never bought the whole "he'll come here cheap because he's happy" idea. He'll be 30 this season and it's his last chance at a big payday in his career.

The Panthers gave him nearly as much guaranteed money ($13m) as he's made in total his entire career ($14.6m). So even if he doesn't see the entirety of the $21.75m, he's just doubled his career earnings.

I am glad the Bengals didn't match the offer, but still.... Congrats Hurst!

- - - - - -

That said, the Bengals really need to both draft a starting TE and sign a depth TE now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hurst was good this season. A solid player. But there are probably 5 tight ends available every year that are as good as him or better.

I’m okay with losing him. He’s definitely replaceable.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: By the way he got 3 years $21.75 million at $13 million guaranteed.

No brainer to pass on that contract from the bengals point of view. Easy to replace for half that price or less.

Bengals are making smart moves this offseason. Can’t wait to see who they sign!
Reply/Quote
He had a fun aggressive playstyle but not a huge loss. TEs in this offense are just never gonna be the focal point when you have 2 dominant wrs, and a great 3rd option as well. Plus it's a great TE draft. Need to double dip at the postion now, 1 draft and 1 FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 02:15 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hurst was injured quite a bit last year and hes getting older. He's not worth the money, he looked better because Joe made him look better. I liked Hurst but he is easily replaceable.

I find it funny that he said "I found a home in Cincy and want to stay here for a long time"  I guess one year is a long time...

he meant it in Dog Years...
Reply/Quote