Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I LIKED the Bullying....
(09-14-2015, 01:12 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I guess we just disagree on the matter and that's fine. ThumbsUp

That's fine to you, but I don't like it.
That's like saying if you try to shoot someone but miss, it's all good because you missed. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:27 PM)inkblot Wrote: I live in NC, so I didn't get to watch the game, but what Jones did is unacceptable. It's one thing to want to play with more aggression and intimidation, but the last thing I want is to be like the Steelers.

I didn't' see the game, but I want to comment on things that are shown out of context by a media that is notorious for taking things out of context to hype a story.  Let me guess the story leads off about how pacman got someone shot and has had run ins with the law.  then comes a slow mo video of him slamming his head.  Yeah..... solid decision making

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The problem with bullying is eventually non-bullying is perceived as bullying and you get undue fines and penalties.

Look at the Dre Kirkpatrick penalty. I don't know what he said, but he didn't make any physical motion to Crabtree other than the common "no sir" arm cross.

Unless he said something extremely obscene, there was no reason to call taunting on a mere verbal exchange.

The refs called that as payback for not catching the Jones thing, which should have gotten him ejected.

We also set a bad tone with Iloka stomping around after a great play.

Make the play. Leave out the child behavior. We know you made a great play Iloka, no need to waste it.

I like tough physical football.

And the bully mentality, which resulted in the Iloka play (the play not the penalty) is what we need around here. We need to let teams know you're gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt.

The taunting adds nothing to the bully mentality and only leads to stupid ass penalties.

I agree 100%! Make a great play then just walk away like it isn't your first time doing so.
Reply/Quote
Every player gets excited and has a little celebration or taunt after big plays. Even pointing a first down in front of the defender is a taunt, the nfl just hasn't enforced a rule for it yet. So there's no problem with celebrating, there's a problem with celebrating for 10 seconds and getting a penalty.

Don't see why so many people are on Jones ass for his altercation with Cooper. I understand the "it was stupid" because bashing anyone's head is stupid, but He didn't do it for no reason. Cooper started it and dragged Jones down. The league's isn't suspending him so they obviously didn't see it as as big a thing as the media and everyone made it like it was "Pacman" Jones returning
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 01:11 PM)Okeana Wrote: I'm already tired of hearing about this and its only been a day.

On the topic of Jones and Iloka.  I frankly don't care.  Jones got chopped to the neck and saw red.  These people complaining about Jones being a disgrace obviously have never been in his shoes and in this situation before.  You're loaded with adrenaline playing every single down in a violent fast paced sport and you get chopped to the neck? what did you expect him to do ? It doesn't matter what you expect him to do because you're not the moral authority on all things.

George Iloka's foul was a mistake, but only because of his body position.  If he does that a foot away and not on him it probably doesn't get called.  Even if it does I can't fault the dude for living in the moment.  Its what makes these players great.

If anything the travesty of this game was the call on Kirkpatrick.  Lets be clear i dont care just because it was a Bengals game, but this is a pure bullshit call that has a trickle down effect in this league.  Even that waste of space Chris Simms said afterwards " The League is removing this from the game " .  I am sorry, but when has shit talking not been allowed on a football field ? This is part of the mental warfare of football that makes the game great.
This all day long.
And I would argue that the great pussyfing of the game will only lead to more injuries. Leave the political correctness to things that don't involve bone crushing hits.
I'm sure Hockey and Rugby players are all having a laugh at the state of the NFL right now.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 01:24 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: This all day long.
And I would argue that the great pussyfing of the game will only lead to more injuries. Leave the political correctness to things that don't involve bone crushing hits.
I'm sure Hockey and Rugby players are all having a laugh at the state of the NFL right now.

yeah im not even saying oh lets be more manly.  Its a valuable part of the game to get other players out of their rythem.  Styling on someone and then taunting can make that player completely shut down if done right.  Some of the best players in basketball are the ones who would get dominate players so pissed they couldn't play.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 01:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's fine to you, but I don't like it.
That's like saying if you try to shoot someone but miss, it's all good because you missed. 
Rolleyes  It's not like that at all really. Now if he would have started wailing on the guy, which is what you are acting like he did..

All i'm saying is let the punishment fit the crime, and at this point it is unclear if it was a retaliation move or not. The gif looks bad i agree but as others have noted that may not be the whole story. Most important though is Cooper himself didn't seem to be all that bothered by it. 

And that's my final word on the subject. 

Reply/Quote
I've always felt that Pac is a pretty level headed guy ON the field... he doesn't really have too many ON field incidents to my knowledge.

Rookie wronged him in someway and got what was deserved. Pac doesn't blow up on you unless it is warranted from what ive seen.
Reply/Quote
Bengal DBs' Theme for 2015:

Enter the Ninjas!

Skip to about :45. That's their jam. Why? Just because. Ninja
Reply/Quote
I'm not embarrassed at all by the physical play. I was thinking last night that 20 years ago nothing would have been called a penalty. Only in our new PC era do people get their feelings hurt with emotional play. It's the NFL for crying out loud. If people can't handle the nature of a game that requires emotion and physicality they'd be better served to watch tennis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Like I've mentioned before, I appreciate the aggressiveness and energy, but there really is a time and place for everything. The NFL is expected to not tolerate behavior that may be emulated by youngsters watching the game. Yes, this is Football, but I'd rather they display their intentions with plays and skills, rather then costing the team penalties and receiving fines.

Besides, there are subtle ways of getting away with things...
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with Adam's play as well, and I'll bet all of his coaches and teammates are too.

It's not like he has a history of on field incidents a la the 'Suh Stomp'.

Now, if it becomes a trend then I couldn't excuse the behavior. As of now, it's 'just playing physical football', as Cooper phrased it.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
The hate for Adam Jones grows exponentially each minute.

Go read some of the soapbox speeches over on NFL.coms article about it. Yawn
Reply/Quote
I loved the fire Pac brought to this game, and you could see the rest of the team feeding off of it. Iloka was flagged for stomping and waving his arms while standing over the receiver. If he steps away and does it then there is no flag. It's simply because you cannot stand over a player anymore. Kirkpatrick's penalty was selfish, hopefully he learned from it since it let them score. I say keep bringing the fire all season long and let the rest of the league know who the new meanest dog on the block is...
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Look, most people won't admit it because they want to save face, but what the Bengals did yesterday on defense is what that unit has needed to do for what seems like EVER. For years Bengals players have taken the high road when it comes to the beat downs that were administered to them. Rivers' broken jaw, Huber's broken jaw, Carson's knee, Shipley's concussion. Steelers and Ravens hooting and hollering at the Bengals players after every play. NOW THE BENGALS ARE THE BULLY. And I hope it never stops.

- I don't mind that Pacman took the Raiders rookie star receiver and smacked him around. Not.... one.... bit. In fact, it was perfect based on how crazy that entire string of events unfolded that play.

- I don't mind that Dre-kirk jawed at a notoriously mouthy Crabtree after a great play and after the game was well in hand.

- I loved the pile of Bengals bullying the Raiders O-lineman (77?) after the guy was flagged for a personal foul AND holding (the same play Pacman beat up Cooper).

- I loved Pacman not letting Carr run out of bounds for a first down and instead making him pay for trying to get extra yards - causing a backwards fumble and negating a 1st down.

- I was fine with the headlock tackles.

- I loved going for it on 4th down from inside their 5 on the opening drive.

- Iloka's penalty was ticky-tack. If he hadn't of smashed the guy so hard the player would have not been under him with flowers already starting to sprout up and, therefore, it wouldn't have looked so bad. But still, I was fine with it.

- I loved all of it!

The fact is that the Bengals have been on the wrong end of these types of plays and these types of games for 20+ years. Seeing the defense taking the driver's seat in relentlessly delivering punishment is a great thing, to me. All without Burfict, too! At first I was worried about the penalties, but then saw that they had the talent to make up for it and, frankly, I'm leaning towards the intimidation factor being more valuable than a few yards here or there in the grand scheme of things.

This team has the look and feel of something different. I was wondering.... What do you fellow fans think about how those events unfolded from a big picture standpoint? Does it feel different? The same? Are you embarrassed? Want them to clean it up? What's your take here?
Agreed. Just gotta be smart enuff not to get flagged, but i totally agree.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone point out that the term "bully" isn't always complimentary? I thought bullies were the type to push weaker people around and then completely collapse in the face of a challenger that actually fights back. Some rookie WR for the Raiders is fine, but I want to see one of the Bengals pull Pig Ben's helmet off and slam his head into it before I get all tingly inside!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 03:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Did anyone point out that the term "bully" isn't always complimentary?  I thought bullies were the type to push weaker people around and then completely collapse in the face of a challenger that actually fights back.  Some rookie WR for the Raiders is fine, but I want to see one of the Bengals pull Pig Ben's helmet off and slam his head into it before I get all tingly inside!

A "bully" in the normal world is a bad thing, a very bad thing.

In the football world though only the strong survive so we want our Bengals to be bullies every Sunday IMHO.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The problem with bullying is eventually non-bullying is perceived as bullying and you get undue fines and penalties.

Look at the Dre Kirkpatrick penalty. I don't know what he said, but he didn't make any physical motion to Crabtree other than the common "no sir" arm cross.

Unless he said something extremely obscene, there was no reason to call taunting on a mere verbal exchange.

The refs called that as payback for not catching the Jones thing, which should have gotten him ejected.

We also set a bad tone with Iloka stomping around after a great play.

Make the play. Leave out the child behavior. We know you made a great play Iloka, no need to waste it.

I like tough physical football.

And the bully mentality, which resulted in the Iloka play (the play not the penalty) is what we need around here. We need to let teams know you're gonna get hit and it's gonna hurt.

The taunting adds nothing to the bully mentality and only leads to stupid ass penalties.

This
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Look, most people won't admit it because they want to save face, but what the Bengals did yesterday on defense is what that unit has needed to do for what seems like EVER. For years Bengals players have taken the high road when it comes to the beat downs that were administered to them. Rivers' broken jaw, Huber's broken jaw, Carson's knee, Shipley's concussion. Steelers and Ravens hooting and hollering at the Bengals players after every play. NOW THE BENGALS ARE THE BULLY. And I hope it never stops.

- I don't mind that Pacman took the Raiders rookie star receiver and smacked him around. Not.... one.... bit. In fact, it was perfect based on how crazy that entire string of events unfolded that play.

- I don't mind that Dre-kirk jawed at a notoriously mouthy Crabtree after a great play and after the game was well in hand.

- I loved the pile of Bengals bullying the Raiders O-lineman (77?) after the guy was flagged for a personal foul AND holding (the same play Pacman beat up Cooper).

- I loved Pacman not letting Carr run out of bounds for a first down and instead making him pay for trying to get extra yards - causing a backwards fumble and negating a 1st down.

- I was fine with the headlock tackles.

- I loved going for it on 4th down from inside their 5 on the opening drive.

- Iloka's penalty was ticky-tack. If he hadn't of smashed the guy so hard the player would have not been under him with flowers already starting to sprout up and, therefore, it wouldn't have looked so bad. But still, I was fine with it.

- I loved all of it!

The fact is that the Bengals have been on the wrong end of these types of plays and these types of games for 20+ years. Seeing the defense taking the driver's seat in relentlessly delivering punishment is a great thing, to me. All without Burfict, too! At first I was worried about the penalties, but then saw that they had the talent to make up for it and, frankly, I'm leaning towards the intimidation factor being more valuable than a few yards here or there in the grand scheme of things.

This team has the look and feel of something different. I was wondering.... What do you fellow fans think about how those events unfolded from a big picture standpoint? Does it feel different? The same? Are you embarrassed? Want them to clean it up? What's your take here?
agreed  100%
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 03:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: A "bully" in the normal world is a bad thing, a very bad thing.

In the football world though only the strong survive so we want our Bengals to be bullies every Sunday IMHO.

Yup.....and like Nately.....I REALLY want to see some revenge for Palmer and Huber come Stooler week.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote