Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I admit I was wrong and will eat my crow
(01-02-2022, 11:21 PM)jason Wrote: I don't beat the drum about "a playoff win" like many do. To me, you either win it all, or you don't. I'm not crowing Zac either, but I did think he was inept and over his head. I look to be pretty wrong about that. How bout that Joe Burrow kid too?

ZT was in over his head, that is a genuine fact and Burrow and Chase are living proof that he was.  With that being said, a person can learn and grow so maybe he's good now.  I don't have the same fears that he is going to have to be dragged to the promised land as I did before, but also can't imagine anyone looking at the Bengals and wondering if they are awesome because of the players or the coaches, either.

How many wins with the 2019 crew does 2021 ZT get?  More than 2 I guess, but I don't think he'd be awesome enough to get that team to the playoffs.  

But like I said, best case scenario we got a HC who was bad enough to get us Burrow and Chase and then "figured it out" enough to never need to get another high pick again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm still unsure about Zac. Maybe I'm just scarred from 2015, but I can't believe until a playoff win. Not just Zac but this team in general. You've seen this diatribe before, no need to repeat it. Though, even if he won a playoff game but went back to hovering around 5-6 wins a year I wouldn't be happy either. (That said, if he won a SB and then went back to being shit it would be different)

I am surprised I feel this way. I was a big Zac believer during the shit years as I thought he was a well-liked players coach who prioritized on-field discipline and health and while the latter is true there have been issues handled suspiciously poorly for a coach of his type.

I am very happy about the AFCN, though. We are back we where we belong.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT was in over his head, that is a genuine fact and Burrow and Chase are living proof that he was.  With that being said, a person can learn and grow so maybe he's good now.  I don't have the same fears that he is going to have to be dragged to the promised land as I did before, but also can't imagine anyone looking at the Bengals and wondering if they are awesome because of the players or the coaches, either.

How many wins with the 2019 crew does 2021 ZT get?  More than 2 I guess, but I don't think he'd be awesome enough to get that team to the playoffs.  

But like I said, best case scenario we got a HC who was bad enough to get us Burrow and Chase and then "figured it out" enough to never need to get another high pick again.

I mean the greatest Head Coach of all time only managed 6 wins with a pretty bad roster last year, so you still have to have the players. He just beat one of the hottest teams and past 2 year AFC champions with his players this year and we are hot right now. Getting hot right before the playoffs is huge.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:50 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I mean the greatest Head Coach of all time only managed 6 wins with a pretty bad roster last year, so you still have to have the players. He just beat one of the hottest teams and past 2 year AFC champions with his players this year and we are hot right now. Getting hot right before the playoffs is huge.

Agreed...that's why I don't want to bench Burrow next week.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 09:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your accepting his apology? But....

He needs to be giving out apologies after all that acting out in Gameday.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed...that's why I don't want to bench Burrow next week.

This... And you can take all the precautions you want. If shit's gonna happen, shit's gonna happen. I just looked up the 2005 Bengals schedule. They lost week 17 (37-3) to these very same Chiefs. Wanna take a wild guess who started at QB in that game?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed...that's why I don't want to bench Burrow next week.

For a half imo. No reason to have him beat up by Myles if he's having a bad day anyway.
Reply/Quote
I’m thinking since they technically have a shot at the 1 seed, they will not rest their starters.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:14 PM)basballguy Wrote: I know we're riding the high of a big win but lets slow down lol.  The bar has always been a playoff win.  ML made the playoffs his third year too (with two better previous years than ZT).  

Don't get me wrong...I'm pleased with the production...but i'm not crowning ZT just yet.

ML walked into a very decent roster. Willie, Braham, Dillion, Rudi, Kitna, Chad, TJ, Steinbach, Thornton, Levi. Then there was Carson.

I'm pleased with the build ZT has done. We went from one of the worst rosters in the NFL (from both the standpoint of starters and depth) to a competitive team. We've still got a lot of work to do and I'm interested to see if ZT can continue to improve it, especially if we start picking in the bottom third of the order instead of the top third.

I'm also pleased with the culture change. The coaches aren't coming out every week and treating fans like they're dumb. They don't treat the media like they're dumb, even when they ask obvious questions. They don't bench players who are producing and then ignore the subject.

I complained for a while about wanting a coach who would go for it. We got that. I complained about a coach who only wanted to win if it fit his code (don't run up the score, don't go for the big play, don't create a sensation). We don't have that any more (we're going for a score every time the offense is out there, big plays result in big rewards and if a guy can make 10+ catches in a game then we throw it to him 10+ times). 

ZT isn't perfect. But I'm happy with the direction. And I'm good with him being here, at least until that direction changes.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No apologies necessary. Taylor becoming a great coach is what we all want.

Yes
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT was in over his head, that is a genuine fact and Burrow and Chase are living proof that he was.  With that being said, a person can learn and grow so maybe he's good now.  I don't have the same fears that he is going to have to be dragged to the promised land as I did before, but also can't imagine anyone looking at the Bengals and wondering if they are awesome because of the players or the coaches, either.

No, he wouldn't even make the playoffs with the team his predecessor had failed to get there for three years. I think people forget, and this is in Marvin's defense too, that core group of stars was in their 30s. That team just wasn't good anymore. Atkins? Never signed to play again. AJ Green was out a lot, and played like shit. He's found some footing in AZ, but he's far from what he was. Dalton is a back up and another guy. Dunlap is a backup. DreK? WJIII? John Ross? Between the has beens and never was types, that team was circling the drain. Anyone that didn't see that is looking to criticize just to criticize....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:56 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: He needs to be giving out apologies after all that acting out in Gameday.

Who, Reub? Surely you jest.... LMAO

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:59 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m thinking since they technically have a shot at the 1 seed, they will not rest their starters.

Judging by Zac's presser, they have no intentions of taking their foot off the gas....

Reply/Quote
Early line has the Brownies as 3.5 point favorites. Vegas must be thinking we’ll be resting some starters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 01:06 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: LOLOLOLOLOL don’t come in here with all of that unless you’ve got enough tin foil to make us all hats

No shit! I guess if the league FINALLY fixed one FOR us, we've finally arrived!!!! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 01:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: No shit! I guess if the league FINALLY fixed one FOR us, we've finally arrived!!!! Hilarious

If the league wants to ensure Burrow wins a Super Bowl and this year, I'll take it!Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 01:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If the league wants to ensure Burrow wins a Super Bowl and this year, I'll take it!Joe

Hell yeah, after almost 40 years of heart break, I'll take it any way I can get it!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:48 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: I'm still unsure about Zac. Maybe I'm just scarred from 2015, but I can't believe until a playoff win. Not just Zac but this team in general. You've seen this diatribe before, no need to repeat it. Though, even if he won a playoff game but went back to hovering around 5-6 wins a year I wouldn't be happy either. (That said, if he won a SB and then went back to being shit it would be different)

I am surprised I feel this way. I was a big Zac believer during the shit years as I thought he was a well-liked players coach who prioritized on-field discipline and health and while the latter is true there have been issues handled suspiciously poorly for a coach of his type.

I am very happy about the AFCN, though. We are back we where we belong.

Hey man, you are entitled to feel how you do. This franchise has definitely given us all a complex of some sort. That said, make sure you enjoy the real nice moments like this one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 01:06 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: LOLOLOLOLOL don’t come in here with all of that unless you’ve got enough tin foil to make us all hats

He must be a 'plant' from the Reynolds guys. They are always trying to keep the demand up for tin foil.
Reply/Quote
Sam Hubbard “Anytime something goes wrong or there's an issue, it seems like people are calling for Zac's job or whatever," said defensive end Sam Hubbard. "He's done nothing but be a great leader and consistent force in this whole turnaround, and I really love Zac as a coach, and I'm thankful that he's here. Like you said, he was young. We're all young, we all grow and learn, and we all just wanted to be better, and it's just a consistent effort to be better for this team. It's what we've all done, and done together."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote