Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I see a lot of mock drafts having us take a CB - Dont be fooled
(01-29-2019, 03:01 PM)McC Wrote: I believe Phillips is an up and comer and that he has a real shot at filling the hole if Dennard leaves.  So you might not have to be drafting one for immediate need.   If this is the case, then you don't feel obligated to take one first.  You can wait a round or two or three.

On the other hand, are Baker or Williams good enough to be at the top of your board?   From what I see, Williams is top five in a lot of mocks, for whatever that's worth.

Phillips got picked on pretty hard at the end of the season. 

It's all about who's there and who's left. Are better CB options available in the 2nd than LB? If White is gone you go CB if the best one in the draft is there, If White is there you go him. If neither are there you take the best Tackle or trade back. Tough to do it in a vacuum. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:41 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’ve seen 75% of mock drafts having us drafting lb Devon White.  The other 25% have us taking Kyler Murray

So 25% of the mocks were written by morons. That shouldn't surprise anyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals defense ranked dead last in pass yards in 2018...but thats not because of corner back play. Its because of linebacker coverage. Our corner backs are fine - linebacker is the real position we need to upgrade at. We need fast play making linebackers who can cover the middle of the field and screens.

Completely agree, bring back Dennard and we are fine at CB.

Linebacker is by far our biggest weakness followed by the O-line.
Reply/Quote
I agree with Piston & AU on this one. When was the last time the Bengals had a stud MLB in the caliber of White? The Bengals could draft White round 1 and maybe Safety/DB Adderley in round 2. The team could move Williams to hybrid backer role. But with Kirkpatrick and WJ3 and no Dennard, it could be a problem especially since the D-Line appeared to regress this past year. Now if the D-Line gets pressure, it helps secondary.

What do Bengals do if Oliver is there?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I would not mind a boundary CB in the third or 4th Rd but LB an RT are much bigger needs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If this team expects to have any short term hope they have to address the glaring holes in the Oline and LBers !

Right now we do not have Dennard.  So we have just as big of a glaring hole at CB as we do at LB and O-line.
Reply/Quote
I know I'm someone pushing for Dennard to be resigned and I still believe he is a very good slot corner...But the Bengals did take a CB in the 5th that reminded me almost exactly like Dennard and I thought would fit that modern slot CB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
So...with all these needs...and not a bunch of high draft picks, I think we need to temper our expectations for what a rookie head coach will do. Unless we fill about 2-3 of these needs with quality free agents.

We just can't fill them with the draft alone.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 05:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...with all these needs...and not a bunch of high draft picks, I think we need to temper our expectations for what a rookie head coach will do. Unless we fill about 2-3 of these needs with quality free agents.

My expectations were tempered when Mike Brown took over for Paul Brown. It gets old, but never stale making fun of him. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 05:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...with all these needs...and not a bunch of high draft picks, I think we need to temper our expectations for what a rookie head coach will do. Unless we fill about 2-3 of these needs with quality free agents.

My expectations were tempered when Mike Brown took over for Paul Brown. It gets old, but never stale making fun of him. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: A nickle CB is a starter.

Exactly, we need to resign Dennard. If not, we have too many issues to deal with through the draft.

And Malik Jefferson. Wiki says he ran a 4.5 40-yard dash. That should be enough to run with guys and tackle on the edge.  He couldn't do much worse than what we saw the majority of last year. And now (thanks Marvin) he has almost no experience.

The first 3 picks ought to be LB, OL, OL (in any freaking order)... there seems to be a lot of decent guards in this draft and 2-3 LBs that could start.  I do think we need CBs and TEs. But come on now, if you can't cover the middle or protect the middle, why worry about anything farther away? 
Reply/Quote
I can see them taking greedy Williams if he falls that far. Dude is a stud but projected to be gone before we draft
Reply/Quote
I saw an "expert" mock draft that had us trade our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draft picks to draft Dwayne haskins.... truly a head scratcher...
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:41 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’ve seen 75% of mock drafts having us drafting lb Devon White.  The other 25% have us taking Kyler Murray

Where are you seeing ANY mock that has Kyler Murray to the Bengals?  I tried to find one, no dice..

What I did find, before I got tired of waiting for crappy sites to load,

CBS - White
NFL (Zierlein) - Jawaan Taylor
Bleacher Report (Buckley) - White
draftsite.com - Jawaan Taylor
sportsbank - J. Allen
fanspeak - Dexter Lawrence
SB Nation - White
Sporting News - White
footballcouchscout - Dexter Williams
draftblaster  - White

That's 10 mocks, with 5 going White, 2 going Jawaan Taylor, 2 going Dexter Lawrence, and 1 with Allen making some incredible fall to us. I tried to keep it as current as possible, by only using mocks from the last couple days.

No signs of Kyler Murray, or even Dwayne Haskins for that matter..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where are you seeing ANY mock that has Kyler Murray to the Bengals?  I tried to find one, no dice..

What I did find, before I got tired of waiting for crappy sites to load,

CBS - White
NFL (Zierlein) - Jawaan Taylor
Bleacher Report (Buckley) - White
draftsite.com - Jawaan Taylor
sportsbank - J. Allen
fanspeak - Dexter Lawrence
SB Nation - White
Sporting News - White
footballcouchscout - Dexter Williams
draftblaster  - White

That's 10 mocks, with 5 going White, 2 going Jawaan Taylor, 2 going Dexter Lawrence, and 1 with Allen making some incredible fall to us.  I tried to keep it as current as possible, by only using mocks from the last couple days.

No signs of Kyler Murray, or even Dwayne Haskins for that matter..
I have not seen kyler Murray but here is the one i was talking about.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/2019-nfl-mock-draft-trades-3-rounds-updated-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-nick-bosa-senior-bowl/
Reply/Quote
This this is actually a pretty deep CB class. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals took one either in round 2 or 3.

It would surprise me if they took one in the first. There will definitely be talented players later on. But this draft is very top heavy when it comes to 4-3 linebackers.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 08:14 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I have not seen kyler Murray but here is the one i was talking about.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/gallery/2019-nfl-mock-draft-trades-3-rounds-updated-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-nick-bosa-senior-bowl/

I just can't see that happening.  

This team is literally depleted of blockers and tacklers.  We have exactly one (1) offensive tackle under contract, and I'm not even sold on the guy.  We have one (1) starter worthy LB under contract in Nick Vigil, I'm not counting Burfict as we all know his story.  The rest of the LB corps is just backups and scrubs.  

For a team is such serious need of blockers and tacklers, to make a bold move like "trading up for a QB", would be the ultimate roster killer.  The only way they would even be able to field a team is by breaking the bank in free agency, and signing a ton of scrubs from UDFA and late round picks that rarely pan out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I never saw Murray either, but didn't want to point that out. I did see a full 7-round mock where we picked Will Grier (QB- W.Virginia) in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 03:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They need to resign Dennard. Is ridiculous how his team keeps letting its players go while it handicaps them in the draft. Its like a damn merry go round. 

It’s only a handicap if:

1: The team refuses to use FA in a consistent, meaningful way, and only uses FA for bargain additions. Key FA’s of upper echelon talent are not pursued when they make strategic sense. Thus, more pressure falls on the scouts to find replacement talent in the draft.

2: The threadbare scouting dept. misses on key picks of need (See Ogbuehi)
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 08:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just can't see that happening.  

This team is literally depleted of blockers and tacklers.  We have exactly one (1) offensive tackle under contract, and I'm not even sold on the guy.  We have one (1) starter worthy LB under contract in Nick Vigil, I'm not counting Burfict as we all know his story.  The rest of the LB corps is just backups and scrubs.  

For a team is such serious need of blockers and tacklers, to make a bold move like "trading up for a QB", would be the ultimate roster killer.  The only way they would even be able to field a team is by breaking the bank in free agency, and signing a ton of scrubs from UDFA and late round picks that rarely pan out.

Yeah no kidding.  Its completely absurd. It just shows how stupid these "expert" mock drafts are. 

Bengals trading 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to trade up for a qb has exactly zero chance of happening. 

More on topic, i would rather re-sign dennard or sign a comparable fa, than spend a high draft pick on one.

Reply/Quote