Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I see a lot of mock drafts having us take a CB - Dont be fooled
(02-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to be good in all 3 phases, Offense, Defense and ST's as we saw last night.

That high powered Offense sure didn't get it done for the Rams. The Defense kept them in it.

Yeah it only got them 13 wins. 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:31 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah it only got them 13 wins. 

Well, actually 15, if you count the playoff games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:31 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah it only got them 13 wins. 

Just saying to win the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saying to win the whole thing.

Baby steps
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 09:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saying to win the whole thing.

I completely agree.

The #1 offense beat the #2 offense last night, because of their defense, which was ranked second only to Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:34 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I completely agree.

The #1 offense beat the #2 offense last night, because of their defense, which was ranked second only to Baltimore.

Some great ST's play too by the Patriots. Great punts that got fielded inside the 5 by Slater a couple of times.

That put the Rams in some tough positions and really put the pressure on Goff.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 07:35 PM)XsandOs Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. The defense and importantly, the DC hiring,  has to be done right.

Last night's game should be a real learning lesson for Taylor. Phillips kept them in the game.

We need to build starting from around the ball. That's both OL and DL.

He may have a Donald type here, but there is no Suh here.

Then the second line of defense.

He sure did.  As good as NE's D was, the Rams were not far off.  They held Tom and Bill to 13 in the SB.  No small feat.

The game came down to about four to six plays, three or four for either side.  Difference was the Patriots hit theirs and the Rams didn't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:46 PM)McC Wrote: He sure did.  As good as NE's D was, the Rams were not far off.  They held Tom and Bill to 13 in the SB.  No small feat.

The game came down to about four to six plays, three or four for either side.  Difference was the Patriots hit theirs and the Rams didn't.

Very true.

Ultimately, Brady beat Goff. That was the difference.

They shut down the run on both sides.

Goff is the weak link on the Rams offense, and NE dared him to beat them.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Some great ST's play too by the Patriots. Great punts that got fielded inside the 5 by Slater a couple of times.

That put the Rams in some tough positions and really put the pressure on Goff.

Yes.

This was one of the best SBs I have seen in a long time.

This was the second Belichek vs Phillips SB. Phillips got him in 2015 with Manning in the AFCCG. Belichek got his this time.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:29 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Yes.

This was one of the best SBs I have seen in a long time.

This was the second Belichek vs Phillips SB. Phillips got him in 2015 with Manning in the AFCCG. Belichek got his this time.

I agree, i liked it cause there was some good Defense.

Some people were calling it boring and i was like, man, i am old school, i like to see some D. I thought this Superbowl was good for the game instead of just steadily trending towards all Offense like some were saying was happening. I think these Playoffs and Superbowl put that notion to bed. Still have to have a good Defense to win Championships in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 12:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, i liked it cause there was some good Defense.

Some people were calling it boring and i was like, man, i am old school, i like to see some D. I thought this Superbowl was good for the game instead of just steadily trending towards all Offense like some were saying was happening. I think these Playoffs and Superbowl put that notion to bed. Still have to have a good Defense to win Championships in the NFL.

I waited all season to see who could stop these high powered offenses - and how.

We saw the #1 and #2 ranked offenses brought to a screeching halt. Albeit, Goff missed a ton of reads.

The remaining Grand Master of the West Coast offense in KC, and the Gruden brothers, are chomping at the bits to get at Belichek. Reid seems to have real success against him.

Reid vs Belichek SB, will be Walsh vs Parcells, revisited.  
Reply/Quote
I’m just hoping that we take the “QUALITY over quantity” approach with our draft picks.

If we end up with 10-11 draft picks, most of them late rounders, many of these guys probably won’t make the final roster. They may get claimed later off of our practice squad or something like that, but that doesn’t help us with our positions of need and immediate impact.

Let’s trade up on some picks to get better talent earlier in the draft. I know Tom Brady is a textbook example of an outlier that was drafted late and ended up great, but this is not common. Let’s snag some high powered big men in the roster positions of need.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:17 PM)BoBengal Wrote: I’m just hoping that we take the “QUALITY over quantity” approach with our draft picks.

If we end up with 10-11 draft picks, most of them late rounders, many of these guys probably won’t make the final roster. They may get claimed later off of our practice squad or something like that, but that doesn’t help us with our positions of need and immediate impact.

Let’s trade up on some picks to get better talent earlier in the draft. I know Tom Brady is a textbook example of an outlier that was drafted late and ended up great, but this is not common. Let’s snag some high powered big men in the roster positions of need.

I think this is the perfect year to do just that, trade up and get some real quality players.

We are already a really young team, we don't need a ton of picks, as you said, we need quality especially at LB and on the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:17 PM)BoBengal Wrote: I’m just hoping that we take the “QUALITY over quantity” approach with our draft picks.

If we end up with 10-11 draft picks, most of them late rounders, many of these guys probably won’t make the final roster.  They may get claimed later off of our practice squad or something like that, but that doesn’t help us with our positions of need and immediate impact.

Let’s trade up on some picks to get better talent earlier in the draft.  I know Tom Brady is a textbook example of an outlier that was drafted late and ended up great, but this is not common.  Let’s snag some high powered big men in the roster positions of need.

Most definitely.  Bundle some of the later round picks together and get more earlier picks.  Increase your chances of finding good players.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

If we end up with 10-11 draft picks, most of them late rounders, many of these guys probably won’t make the final roster.  They may get claimed later off of our practice squad or something like that, but that doesn’t help us with our positions of need and immediate impact.

Let’s trade up on some picks to get better talent earlier in the draft.  I know Tom Brady is a textbook example of an outlier that was drafted late and ended up great, but this is not common.  Let’s snag some high powered big men in the roster positions of need.

The problem is that late round draft picks are worthless in trade.  Three fifth round picks will just get you one fourth round pick.  If we do end up with extra picks this year they will all be in the lower rounds.

Hitting on late round picks is rare for any team, but often moving up a few spots does not get us a better player either.  So I would prefer we just keep them all and increase our chances of getting another player like Marvin Jones (5th), George Iloka (5th), Rex Burkhead (6th), Cobi Hamilton who started stared 8 games for the Steelers in '16 (6th), A. J. McCarron (5th), Marquise Flowers who had 30 tackles and 3.5 sacks for the Patriots in '17 (6th), C. J. Uzomah (5th), Clayton Fejedelem (7th), Christian Westerman (5th), or Jordan Evans (6th).
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem is that late round draft picks are worthless in trade.  Three fifth round picks will just get you one fourth round pick.  If we do end up with extra picks this year they will all be in the lower rounds.

Hitting on late round picks is rare for any team, but often moving up a few spots does not get us a better player either.  So I would prefer we just keep them all and increase our chances of getting another player like Marvin Jones (5th), George Iloka (5th), Rex Burkhead (6th), Cobi Hamilton who started stared 8 games for the Steelers in '16 (6th), A. J. McCarron (5th), Marquise Flowers who had 30 tackles and 3.5 sacks for the Patriots in '17 (6th), C. J. Uzomah (5th), Clayton Fejedelem (7th), Christian Westerman (5th), or Jordan Evans (6th).

The real problem is the Bengals love to  horde these picks and then let them go when their cheap contracts(i.e, Jones, Burkhead, Iloka etc) run out and replace them with other players on the cheap. The Bengals way hasn't gotten us anywhere its about time they started to copycat some of the more successful franchises.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The real problem is the Bengals love to  horde these picks and then let them go when their cheap contracts(i.e, Jones, Burkhead, Iloka etc) run out and replace them with other players on the cheap. The Bengals way hasn't gotten us anywhere its about time they started to copycat some of the more successful franchises.

Yep.  In a copycat league, why the hell don't we copy success?

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The real problem is the Bengals love to  horde these picks and then let them go when their cheap contracts(i.e, Jones, Burkhead, Iloka etc) run out and replace them with other players on the cheap. The Bengals way hasn't gotten us anywhere its about time they started to copycat some of the more successful franchises.

Great point but to be fair MLJ was overpaid in Detroit and we cut George.

(02-19-2019, 11:24 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  In a copycat league, why the hell don't we copy success?

Should always do this, have to keep up with the times but also be innovative.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 02:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A few weeks ago, I posted articles about PFF's rankings of units: LB and OLine. A crazy amount of teams with Top 10 units in each made the playoffs.

CB in the 1st Round kind of seems like a waste because you aren't going to shutdown high powered offenses with the rule changes.

Our shortest path to winning is becoming a high powered offense. We already have Mixon. Lets block for him!

So, do you trade back in the first to get a mid-1st round OT and end up with at least two extra picks in the second round to draft a LB and a guard or another OT? I want the kid out of NC State to play center. Move Price to guard, add a guard, and let Boling play LT or RT. He'd be a good pick in the 3rd and an even better one in the 4th.There's a kid out of AZ State who'd be a good 5th round LB pick. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Any teams willing to trade Burfict for a 6th round pick? If we monopolize the 6th round, we will be in a power position to get the next Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote