Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IF We Get Burrow A Decent Line?
Burrow is killing teams and winning games with no offensive line.

If we finally get him an offensive line that can protect him, what are the limits for Burrow?

I find myself just wondering how many Super Bowls he can win because I feel like he's the best quarterback in the league and having his friend (Chase) on the team can only make him unstoppable.

I think he'll be able to outscore any opponent if he has time in the pocket.

Will we sell-out this offseason to improve the line?

Am I wrong to be this excited?
Reply/Quote
It's Madden on Rookie Mode.

( Does that still exist? I'm Old. )
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Line has been ok all year

Do ppl expect zero sacks and pressures?

Also we’ve played some pretty great d lines too
-Housh
Reply/Quote
At what cost? Burrow's huge contract limits what we can do. He has to be able to get it done with what he has and less. We already have one of the highest paid O-lines in the NFL. I think it has been said on this forum we have the 6th highest paid O-line.

As far as what Burrow has in front of him right now, we went out and took Mahomes Pro Bowl LT. We paid Jonah 12.6 million and then moved him to RT where he is playing good. We went out and got Cappa and Karras who blocked for Brady. Would most of us like to see an even better line in front of Burrow? Of course but how do you make that happen? We have already allowed a few big contributors on defense to leave the last couple of years in order to save money. You dont want to weaken the defense too much.
Reply/Quote
The current line is fine. This gets ridiculous. We've even posted stats showing the pass blocking this season is upper tier. Not just in sacks (12th in league) but also in pressures (8th in league). And Burrow's play style where he tries to extend things leads him into some sacks, also the calf made him immobile for the first 5 games which made him harder to protect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The line is settling in just fine. They played very well versus one of the more aggressive defensive fronts in the league yesterday. Likely the one benefit of playing in the AFCN is that they were prepared for what a team of SF's caliber was going to be bringing, since they had already faced tough fronts.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: The current line is fine. This gets ridiculous. We've even posted stats showing the pass blocking this season is upper tier. Not just in sacks (12th in league) but also in pressures (8th in league). And Burrow's play style where he tries to extend things leads him into some sacks, also the calf made him immobile for the first 5 games which made him harder to protect.

12th in the league is not great when you have a QB that up until the last couple of games has done almost nothing other than short dump off throws.  You should not get a lot of pressure or sacks when your QB is leading the NFL in release time throwing the ball 5 yards.  This line is not bad but they are not a top tier line at this point.  They looked pretty good yesterday against a top tier defense so hopefully they continue to play at that level.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:15 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 12th in the league is not great when you have a QB that up until the last couple of games has done almost nothing other than short dump off throws.  You should not get a lot of pressure or sacks when your QB is leading the NFL in release time throwing the ball 5 yards.  This line is not bad but they are not a top tier line at this point.  They looked pretty good yesterday against a top tier defense so hopefully they continue to play at that level.

Did you not watch the game yesterday?  Joe moved very well, very few "dump" passes.  He was injured, now he's better.  The line is still improved compared to last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The OL protection has been decent but the rushing game awful. But the SF line is the best they’ve played and their best game so very encouraging.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Posting this after the best game they’ve played all year is a bit…..off
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did you not watch the game yesterday?  Joe moved very well, very few "dump" passes.  He was injured, now he's better.  The line is still improved compared to last year.

Yes I did.  Did you not watch the first 5 games?  It was mostly dink & dunk short passes.   Claiming the O-line is upper tier because they are 12th in sacks and 8th in pressures is disingenuous.  They havent given up the sacks or pressures because Burrow has mostly thrown very short passes getting rid of the ball quick.  Yesterday Burrow was sacked 3 times and would have been sacked a few more if not for him being able to make some great scrambles.  The O-line is improved over last year but I would hardly consider them a top offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:21 PM)Housh Wrote: Posting this after the best game they’ve played all year is a bit…..off

This is what I was thinking when seeing this thread from Brad. Bad timing, harp on the OL when they are sucking it up, not after they
just played decent against one of the best Defensive fronts in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:45 PM)Destro Wrote: It's Madden on Rookie Mode.

I guess I'm old to then but that's a great analysis and pretty much illustrates my thought process in all this.
(10-30-2023, 03:50 PM)Housh Wrote: Line has been ok all year

Do ppl expect zero sacks and pressures?

Also we’ve played some pretty great d lines too
They've been ok but Burrow being mobile for once also helps. He also has to release the ball the second-fastest in the league, and it seems like he's always still getting hit or handing a hand in his face.
(10-30-2023, 03:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At what cost?  Burrow's huge contract limits what we can do.  He has to be able to get it done with what he has and less.  We already have one of the highest paid O-lines in the NFL.  I think it has been said on this forum we have the 6th highest paid O-line.

As far as what Burrow has in front of him right now, we went out and took Mahomes Pro Bowl LT.  We paid Jonah 12.6 million and then moved him to RT where he is playing good.  We went out and got Cappa and Karras who blocked for Brady.  Would most of us like to see an even better line in front of Burrow?  Of course but how do you make that happen?  We have already allowed a few big contributors on defense to leave the last couple of years in order to save money.  You dont want to weaken the defense too much.
Need a GM who knows how to work the salary cap and manipulate the numbers.
(10-30-2023, 04:15 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 12th in the league is not great when you have a QB that up until the last couple of games has done almost nothing other than short dump off throws.  You should not get a lot of pressure or sacks when your QB is leading the NFL in release time throwing the ball 5 yards.  This line is not bad but they are not a top tier line at this point.  They looked pretty good yesterday against a top tier defense so hopefully they continue to play at that level.
Exactly. Like I say above, it's the release time.
(10-30-2023, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what I was thinking when seeing this thread from Brad. Bad timing, harp on the OL when they are sucking it up, not after they
just played decent against one of the best Defensive fronts in the NFL.

Game's over. Gotta move on and look to improve.

They played decent against a good defensive front, but let's not pretend like they're not a problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did you not watch the game yesterday?  Joe moved very well, very few "dump" passes.  He was injured, now he's better.  The line is still improved compared to last year.

He shouldn't have to move that much.
Reply/Quote
Bengals are sitting around middle of pack (17th) when it comes to sacks allowed per game.
They are currently allowing 2.4 sacks per game.

KC, MIA, BUF, TB, and SF are all allowing under 2.0 per game, which has them all in Top 5 fewest sacks allowed per game.

So I think Burrow has a "decent" OL, but I definitely wouldn't call it good or even bad.

I do think there are a few players who are the weak links though, but I don't know if there's much that can be done at this point to upgrade halfway through the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:45 PM)Destro Wrote: It's Madden on Rookie Mode.

There is no way to stop guys like Garrett, Tennessee's front, Bosa. You can only hope they have an off day or you scheme well enough to minimize the damage. I think our line is getting better weekly.. which mirrors last season. It's never going to be elite with its current personnel, but it can be good enough to win the last game of the NFL season.
Reply/Quote
It is hard for me to take the stats for this year at face value because of Burrow's decreased mobility and inability to play under center. The run game was negatively impacted. More 2nd & 3rd & longs. Less mobile QB. More sacks.

To be middle of the pack/borderline top 3rd under these circumstances is an improvement.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals are sitting around middle of pack (17th) when it comes to sacks allowed per game.
They are currently allowing 2.4 sacks per game.

KC, MIA, BUF, TB, and SF are all allowing under 2.0 per game, which has them all in Top 5 fewest sacks allowed per game.

So I think Burrow has a "decent" OL, but I definitely wouldn't call it good or even bad.

I do think there are a few players who are the weak links though, but I don't know if there's much that can be done at this point to upgrade halfway through the season.

You'd also have to check out their release times to get an idea if our line is really "decent" or not.

Like you said, I don't think much can be done at this point in the season but I'm already considering next season (and seasons after) or I'm just hoping our line can take their heads out of their asses.

I honestly thought the line would be a strength and they've been anything but.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You'd also have to check out their release times to get an idea if our line is really "decent" or not.

Like you said, I don't think much can be done at this point in the season but I'm already considering next season (and seasons after) or I'm just hoping our line can take their heads out of their asses.

I honestly thought the line would be a strength and they've been anything but.

Joe Burrow himself has been a bigger problem than the O line at times this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Burrow is killing teams and winning games with no offensive line.

If we finally get him an offensive line that can protect him, what are the limits for Burrow?

I find myself just wondering how many Super Bowls he can win because I feel like he's the best quarterback in the league and having his friend (Chase) on the team can only make him unstoppable.

I think he'll be able to outscore any opponent if he has time in the pocket.

Will we sell-out this offseason to improve the line?

Am I wrong to be this excited?

I wouldn't say "no offensive line". The OL has improved and can win this all the way with it. The days of having a turnstile Center are long gone.
Reply/Quote