Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ian Rapoport: Bengals reaching out to non-in-house candidates
So I suppose this is all a smokescreen then?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't you find it a bit curious that not any Bengals coaches are under contract to return?  I've said it before, I honestly get the feeling that Mike Brown is going to retire.  Perhaps he's wanting Marvin to succeed him as GM, and wants to turn things over to Marvin and Katie with a clean slate?

I talked to a local radio personality who has worked on and off with the Bengals over the years, the other day. I asked him if he thought Pete dying and MB's age might make him want to go ahead and retire and turn it over to Katie. His response was "Mike Brown will die at his desk"
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I talked to a local radio personality who has worked on and off with the Bengals over the years, the other day. I asked him if he thought Pete dying and MB's age might make him want to go ahead and retire and turn it over to Katie. His response was "Mike Brown will die at his desk"

Now, my gut is really killing me..  Gotta get to the restroom, quick..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:09 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: According to Jason Cole:

"One person in the #Bengals organization thinks Mike Brown is afraid to have to search for a new coach because that person might want to change too many things in the organization."

... Yeah, sounds about right Bang Head

Of course, if it's not broke wait....WTF
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Of course, if it's not broke wait....WTF

I don't believe that Mike brown for one second of his tenure as owner has ever thought this team was broken... Not even exaggerating 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I love your ability to post complete bullshit as if it is true. McDaniel's head coaching record at Denver is 11-17 or a winning percentage of .393 and he was fired before completing two full seasons. Maybe that's your definition of winning, but I don't consider a losing record as winning.

And I don't think there is any way Manning would have went to Denver during McDaniel's shit show.

He was 33 and trying to run the entire organization. He has repeatedly said he wasn’t ready..... the guys who fail then reflect and take stock are usually successful. If he is coaching with Belichek he is a grinder. And honestly this is probably the perfect organization for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 11:54 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He was 33 and trying to run the entire organization. He has repeatedly said he wasn’t ready..... the guys who fail then reflect and take stock are usually successful. If he is coaching with Belichek he is a grinder. And honestly this is probably the perfect organization for him.

Yes, because nothing equals success like combining a failed former head coach with a losing record with a historically bad owner/GM with a losing record.
Reply/Quote
At what point do we stop paying attention to what Ian has to say?
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 05:57 AM)Utts Wrote: At what point do we stop paying attention to what Ian has to say?

ding ding ding
Reply/Quote
Complications include who to retain from the coaching staff. My guess is that Paul A is gone if Marvin stays. I also think we look for a new OC in order for Marvin to stay. Andy regressed terribly this year, as did AJ. If Paulie G leaves for Oakland, then look for us to hire someone from Zimmer's staff in Minn.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, they only won a single Super Bowl after they got rid of McDaniel and recovered from all his mistakes.

Im not saying this Mcdaniels will be good, but I will say that his time in Denver was marred with inner drama, starting with the whole Jay Cutler trade thing which really blew up, and ending with him benching and trading drama queen Brandon Marshall. He had massive drama there before he even coached a game. He took out the big mouth ego players (Cutler and Marshall) and Denver later won a SB without either...... kind of reminds me of how bad we got rid of OchoCinco and Palmer, replaced them with 2 rookies, and were instantly better...... to keep things in perspective. 2 years isnt a fair assessment under those circumstances....
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 05:57 AM)Utts Wrote: At what point do we stop paying attention to what Ian has to say?

He was a pawn just like Schefter.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 08:06 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Im not saying this Mcdaniels will be good, but I will say that his time in Denver was marred with inner drama, starting with the whole Jay Cutler trade thing which really blew up, and ending with him benching and trading drama queen Brandon Marshall. He had massive drama there before he even coached a game. He took out the big mouth ego players (Cutler and Marshall) and Denver later won a SB without either...... kind of reminds me of how bad we got rid of OchoCinco and Palmer, replaced them with 2 rookies, and were instantly better...... to keep things in perspective. 2 years isnt a fair assessment under those circumstances....

McDaniels was responsible for the drama. And who did he replace Cutler with? Orton. And they weren't instantly better, they were worse. Then he traded away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to draft Tebow in the first round which also made them worse. That move resulted in John Fox and staff tailoring the entire offense around Tebow for a year until they were able to trade him.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:49 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: McDaniels was responsible for the drama. And who did he replace Cutler with?  Orton. And they weren't instantly better, they were worse. Then he traded away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to draft Tebow in the first round which also made them worse. That move resulted in John Fox and staff tailoring the entire offense around Tebow for a year until they were able to trade him.

That may have been the second biggest draft day fail in sports history (second only to Mike turning down the entire saints draft, of course).
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 07:02 AM)Shady Wrote: Complications include who to retain from the coaching staff. My guess is that Paul A is gone if Marvin stays. I also think we look for a new OC in order for Marvin to stay. Andy regressed terribly this year, as did AJ. If Paulie G leaves for Oakland, then look for us to hire someone from Zimmer's staff in Minn.

I believe that is exactly what is holding things up: the Paul Alexander situation. For whatever reason, Mike has a real hardon for PA. Why? We'll likely never know. But you just know Mike is fighting tooth and nail to make Marvin keep his special buddy on the coaching staff. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 11:02 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I believe that is exactly what is holding things up: the Paul Alexander situation. For whatever reason, Mike has a real hardon for PA. Why? We'll likely never know. But you just know Mike is fighting tooth and nail to make Marvin keep his special buddy on the coaching staff. 

Doubt it. I just highly doubt that the hold up is the o-line coach........ As much as we all hate Pauline and want to believe everything revolves around him cause he's been here since the stone age doesn't mean that he's the hold up. The last two years have been dreadful for the o-line and I think this is the first year ML is taking advantage of PA's contract being up to try and get rid of him. That just sounds a little too ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 11:12 AM)Takedown Wrote: Doubt it. I just highly doubt that the hold up is the o-line coach........ As much as we all hate Pauline and want to believe everything revolves around him cause he's been here since the stone age doesn't mean that he's the hold up. The last two years have been dreadful for the o-line and I think this is the first year ML is taking advantage of PA's contract being up to try and get rid of him. That just sounds a little too ridiculous.

I agree, it is ridiculous. Which is exactly why it's a legitimate possibility. #Bungles
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 11:15 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I agree, it is ridiculous. Which is exactly why it's a legitimate possibility. #Bungles

Lol I know, but I just think it's not something that serious to MB. Right now, he's probably finally listening to Marvin. I only say this because of the attendance issue. Ranked #31. That's a big problem for Mike. He's going to try and do the right thing (or some right things) to get fans to buy tix for the 2018 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 11:30 AM)Takedown Wrote: Lol I know, but I just think it's not something that serious to MB. Right now, he's probably finally listening to Marvin. I only say this because of the attendance issue. Ranked #31. That's a big problem for Mike. He's going to try and do the right thing (or some right things) to get fans to buy tix for the 2018 season.

Well, I hope you're right. 

But I find it hard to believe Mike gives any shred of a shit about fans and attendance. If he did, Marv would have been gone immediately after the Ravens game and this will-he-stay/will-he-go nonsense they're dragging out wouldn't be happening. 

Mike must realize keeping Marvin will result in record-setting lows in attendance next season. There is simply no good reason to entertain the idea that Marv should still be coaching in Cincy. And yet, here we are. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 10:49 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: McDaniels was responsible for the drama. And who did he replace Cutler with?  Orton. And they weren't instantly better, they were worse. Then he traded away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to draft Tebow in the first round which also made them worse. That move resulted in John Fox and staff tailoring the entire offense around Tebow for a year until they were able to trade him.

There wasnt enough time. He was trying to get rid of players that didnt fit in and start building players for the type of team he wanted. It didnt look good for sure, but nobody can sit here and say with honesty that 2 years is enough time for a coach to build a team around his system and philosophy. I've heard a lot of bad things about both Marshall and Cutler. He apparently wanted really bad to get rid of them. Apparently no one else in that org did. That was the start of the bad blood from the way I remember it playing out back then. It went downhill from there. Dont get me wrong, there are other coaches I'd rather have, but I also dont think Denver is the tell tail measuring stick for McDainiels. 2 measly years? Eh.
Reply/Quote