Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Lou Gets Hired As Head Coach What Are Your Thoughts On..
We are all holding our breath this offseason to see if Lou gets a head coaching opportunity. He deserves it with what he has done here the past couple of years, and I will be happy for him but in all honesty selfishly hope he's back next season in stripes taking this defense forward.

BUT let's say he does get a head coaching job elsewhere, what are your feelings bringing back Zimmer? He is close with the Brown family, and the only two DC's we've had these past 20 years that made a huge impact was Lou and Zim.

So, would you want Mike Zimmer back or someone else?
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:53 AM)GodFather Wrote: We are all holding our breath this offseason to see if Lou gets a head coaching opportunity. He deserves it with what he has done here the past couple of years, and I will be happy for him but in all honesty selfishly hope he's back next season in stripes taking this defense forward.

BUT let's say he does get a head coaching job elsewhere, what are your feelings bringing back Zimmer? He is close with the Brown family, and the only two DC's we've had these past 20 years that made a huge impact was Lou and Zim.

So, would you want Mike Zimmer back or someone else?

Zimmer was great
Del Rio maybe?
How about Marvin?  Pretty good defensive mind.  Plus, he's great at clapping and smiling.
Rex Ryan
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
I’d welcome Zim back with open arms. I’ve also felt like Brian Flores was a damn fine coach who got the short end of the stick and is way overqualified to be a LB coach. Id be excited to have him on board as DC too. At the end of the day I really don’t care who it as as long as they do a good job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:57 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Zimmer was great
Del Rio maybe?
How about Marvin?  Pretty good defensive mind.  Plus, he's great at clapping and smiling.
Rex Ryan

Del Rio is under contract with Washington and turned us down once already. Marvin? He would never come back as DC after being a head coach here for so many years, he wants a new HC job in the NFL. Would Rex Ryan's personality work with this team and coaching staff? Ryan is a terrific DC, more than I can say about him as a HC.
Reply/Quote
I'd take Zim back, but I don't want Mediocre Marv anywhere around this team.
Reply/Quote
He’s currently an analyst for Deion at the University of Colorado, where I hope he stays. I loved some of his defenses here, but let a bygone era be a bygone era. I hope his days as a defensive analyst are stress-free and fun, he’s earned it. He’s gotten up-there in years and has gone through some tragedies with the passings of his wife and his son. Let this man relax and enjoy his twilight years!

If I’m looking outside of the organization, I’m looking at position coaches from top defensive teams. I’m looking for another “mad scientist” if I can find one.
Reply/Quote
Nope.

His defenses folded in every playoff game, especially on the ground. Loved him in the regular season as he helped bring us up to the level needed for the AFC North, but he was just as much to blame for the post season as Marvin during his time here.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 01:52 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Nope.

His defenses folded in every playoff game, especially on the ground. Loved him in the regular season as he helped bring us up to the level needed for the AFC North, but he was just as much to blame for the post season as Marvin during his time here.

His defenses folded because they were on the field way too long. The offense would turn the ball over or go 3 and out after 3 and out and the D would just break down.

That's not on the DC that the offense couldn't give his guys a break or kept turning it over.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
None of those guys keep their players disciplined like Lou does

It’s all a big downgrade no matter how you slice it
Reply/Quote
Emphatically NO NO NO

Zimmer is a great defensive coach but he is our past not future. I don’t think this defensive needs his style of coaching

Marvin, again he is the past. It would be awkward for both him and Zac

Rex Ryan needs to stay at ESPN

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
No more retreads.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:19 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: His defenses folded because they were on the field way too long. The offense would turn the ball over or go 3 and out after 3 and out and the D would just break down.

That's not on the DC that the offense couldn't give his guys a break or kept turning it over.

They let Owen Daniel torch them from the jump in Houston. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Al Golden better be on that short list.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 09:22 AM)BigRed75 Wrote: Al Golden better be on that short list.

I’m pretty sure he’s not. Casear2727 might no more.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:25 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: None of those guys keep their players disciplined like Lou does

Right. And yet remember how when Dunlap and WJIII left the narrative became Lou was a tyrant and wouldn't listen to anyone? Even Geno tweeted he didn't understand what we were doing. People wanted Lou's head. Maybe if they had been willing to listen and change, they would have prospered here as well. Now every defensive player talks ablut how they love playing for Lou and how much he has taught them.
Reply/Quote
Vance Joseph may become available, depending on who Lou wants as the DC in Arizona.
Reply/Quote
I think I prefer Bettcher who knows Lou's system
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 12:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think I prefer Bettcher who knows Lou's system

Do you think people from the defensive side might follow Lou if they're going to be getting promotions? Not sure how much that typically happens but might be a concern for either Lou or Brian leaving. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 04:25 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: None of those guys keep their players disciplined like Lou does

This is how I feel too. I had never heard of Lou Anarumo prior to 2019 and his resume was broad but not deep. Now I can’t imagine the Bengals’ defense without him. The players worship the turf he walks on and Eli Apple calls him “a mad scientist.” Lou’s defenses in the playoffs have been absolute money, too, and the defense keeps the Bengals in every game even when the offense is sputtering.

Call me selfish but I want Lou in Cincinnati forever and possibly Mikey Boy and Katie could open the corporate wallet and make it worth Lou’s while to stay.

However, he may indeed be head coach material somewhere else. If that’s the case we need to close the hiring aperture to only the highest quality candidates.
Reply/Quote
Let Zac make the call and support his decision.
Reply/Quote