Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Ryan Tannehill to the Bengals is the KEY move - How would you respond ?
(01-18-2019, 11:18 AM)MentalRage Wrote: I'm not saying it's ideal or something that I necessarily want them to do. Just what the overall plan might be if they do pull that trigger.

Also this whole idea is just a guy's opinion. There's a good chance this never happens. 

I get it. Just throwing my 2 cents in the ring. If Taylor wants his own guy, I have no problem trading Dalton. I just don't think Tannehill would be the way I would go, but I don't make those decisions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:26 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I get it. Just throwing my 2 cents in the ring. If Taylor wants his own guy, I have no problem trading Dalton. I just don't think Tannehill would be the way I would go, but I don't make those decisions.

right especially not trading for tannenhill and his contract...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:26 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I get it. Just throwing my 2 cents in the ring. If Taylor wants his own guy, I have no problem trading Dalton. I just don't think Tannehill would be the way I would go, but I don't make those decisions.

I'd rather go the route of Bridgewater myself if we're looking for a bridge to a draft pick.  Just seems to me that Tannehill is too expensive for the production.  Wherever Teddy signs, I'm sure it will be a "prove it" deal.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 11:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd rather go the route of Bridgewater myself if we're looking for a bridge to a draft pick.  Just seems to me that Tannehill is too expensive for the production.  Wherever Teddy signs, I'm sure it will be a "prove it" deal.

Agreed. Although tannehill could -- if he thinks he really is an NFL qb -- restructure that contract as part of the trade agreement. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:21 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. Although tannehill could -- if he thinks he really is an NFL qb -- restructure that contract as part of the trade agreement. 

That's a certain possibility.  As long as the money doesn't hamper the team any more than Dalton does, I'm fine with whatever the coach decides.  We wanted change, we got it, now we just have to see how the new guy wants to run his show.

Reply/Quote
You know, the more I think about this the more I like it. Bring in Tannehill as a bridge, trade Andy and build for the future. The draft capital will give us leverage to allow Taylor to go grab a QB he likes, if there is one.

I’m all in on this idea.

Reply/Quote
We all realize that we could trade for Aaron Rodgers, and even he would fail behind our turnstile Oline, right?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:32 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: You know, the more I think about this the more I like it. Bring in Tannehill as a bridge, trade Andy and build for the future. The draft capital will give us leverage to allow Taylor to go grab a QB he likes, if there is one.

I’m all in on this idea.

I like the draft capital aspect of it......I just don't like the idea of paying Tannehill 26.6 mil against the cap to do it.  If he restructures to make the money, or less ideally, that Dalton is currently making, then sure.  IF you could get another FA QB for cheaper, I'm for that too.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: We all realize that we could trade for Aaron Rodgers, and even he would fail behind our turnstile Oline, right?

Sure but this isn’t the only move that would be made. At least it shouldn’t be. I have to assume the line will be adressed this offseason, one way or another.

I think the only question with this move would be: can we find a QB of the future and develop him into what we need him to be.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's a certain possibility.  As long as the money doesn't hamper the team any more than Dalton does, I'm fine with whatever the coach decides.  We wanted change, we got it, now we just have to see how the new guy wants to run his show.

That's the way I see it.  Things are pretty easy and optimistic now, but once this new genius coach actually shows up we might have to start rationalizing things he does that clash with our perceptions.  He might cut Auden Tate, he might not turn John Ross into a monster WR, he might want cap space and picks rather than Dalton and Green to here for another decade, and so on and so forth.

It's all optimism right now because we can believe that a genius HC is headed our way, and he's going to do all the things we wanted Marvin to do but Marvin wouldn't do.  I'm intrigued to see what happens and how we take it, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:36 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I like the draft capital aspect of it......I just don't like the idea of paying Tannehill 26.6 mil against the cap to do it.  If he restructures to make the money, or less ideally, that Dalton is currently making, then sure.  IF you could get another FA QB for cheaper, I'm for that too.

That’s fair. I honestly don’t think Cincinnati will overpay to make it happen. And they shouldn’t. So yeah, I’d say this is all contingent on being able to get him in here on a more team friendly deal.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:38 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Sure but this isn’t the only move that would be made. At least it shouldn’t be. I have to assume the line will be adressed this offseason, one way or another.

I think the only question with this move would be: can we find a QB of the future and develop him into what we need him to be.

Absolutely agree.....which is why I don't like that cap hit.  We need that money to do exactly what you are driving at.  In my mind, you are going to need to hit FA for at least one LB or one OL, or both.  Then draft at those positions as well.  We definitely need to be looking at QBs soon, with or without Andy.  If trading Andy nets you the necessary draft capital you need, do it.  Just make sure his replacement costs you about the same or less than what Andy makes.  Dalton has a team friendly deal, no question about it when you look around the league.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:40 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: That’s fair. I honestly don’t think Cincinnati will overpay to make it happen. And they shouldn’t. So yeah, I’d say this is all contingent on being able to get him in here on a more team friendly deal.

Bingo. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:38 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Sure but this isn’t the only move that would be made. At least it shouldn’t be. I have to assume the line will be adressed this offseason, one way or another.

Well, as long as that gets taken care of, then I suppose it would be an alright move, if that's the direction Coach Taylor (I like typing that) wants to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's the way I see it.  Things are pretty easy and optimistic now, but once this new genius coach actually shows up we might have to start rationalizing things he does that clash with our perceptions.  He might cut Auden Tate, he might not turn John Ross into a monster WR, he might want cap space and picks rather than Dalton and Green to here for another decade, and so on and so forth.

It's all optimism right now because we can believe that a genius HC is headed our way, and he's going to do all the things we wanted Marvin to do but Marvin wouldn't do.  I'm intrigued to see what happens and how we take it, that's for sure.

Yes sir.....I'm going to roll with it and trust the process.  I have a feeling he won't go full on fire sale rebuild, as I think he will want to win out of the gate to get the momentum rolling.  It's just a hunch.  I don't think the FO will want to go that route either.  A few hiccups and stumbles are to be expected, of course.  I see changes coming personnel wise, just not drastic ones.  The big changes will be in how the team operates on the field, IMO.  

Who knows, he may burn it down Gruden style, but he doesn't have the SB ring and experience as a HC to have that kind of power, I wouldn't assume.  I think he'll try to at least compete in the meantime, with an eye to the future.  I think that would be very wise of him to do so.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes sir.....I'm going to roll with it and trust the process.  I have a feeling he won't go full on fire sale rebuild, as I think he will want to win out of the gate to get the momentum rolling.  It's just a hunch.  I don't think the FO will want to go that route either.  A few hiccups and stumbles are to be expected, of course.  I see changes coming personnel wise, just not drastic ones.  The big changes will be in how the team operates on the field, IMO.  

Who knows, he may burn it down Gruden style, but he doesn't have the SB ring and experience as a HC to have that kind of power, I wouldn't assume.  I think he'll try to at least compete in the meantime, with an eye to the future.  I think that would be very wise of him to do so.

Well, like I pointed out in other threads a big part of the trend of success found via being the first to promote a young offensive mind to HC and start winning on a dime involves trading up and going all in on a QB and having him on his rookie deal so money saved there can be invested elsewhere.  We'd be more like the Rams/Eagles/Bears and less like the Dolphins if we drafted a QB in 2018 and brought in some key FA's with the money saved and THEN got in on the ground floor with the next genius HC.
Reply/Quote
One big drawback we didn't think of! I'd have to re-work my sig! Argh
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, like I pointed out in other threads a big part of the trend of success found via being the first to promote a young offensive mind to HC and start winning on a dime involves trading up and going all in on a QB and having him on his rookie deal so money saved there can be invested elsewhere.  We'd be more like the Rams/Eagles/Bears and less like the Dolphins if we drafted a QB in 2018 and brought in some key FA's with the money saved and THEN got in on the ground floor with the next genius HC.

I agree.  I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this year's class though.  I think it comes down to the next two drafts.  There are some sleeper picks, like Jones out of Duke.....but I'm not sure about the rest.  There is room in FA this season by cutting some dead weight.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.  I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this year's class though.  I think it comes down to the next two drafts.  There are some sleeper picks, like Jones out of Duke.....but I'm not sure about the rest.  There is room in FA this season by cutting some dead weight.

Right, and I'm not saying the Bengals should force the wrong new QB and some bad investment FA's into this new HC hire just to be less like the Dolphins, but it does hurt the narrative a bit.  It's possible that we are just chasing a trend at the wrong time, much like the team that gives Nick Foles 4 years and 100 million because he won the SB for peanuts in 2017.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thank you for waking me up this morning!!!!!  Cool

If we're going by wives, Driskel should remain the backup. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote