Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Imagine Carson Palmer Calling Joe Burrow?
Not sure why people are thinking top tier college QBs are averse to joining bad teams... #1 overall pick QBs always go to the worst team....

If you want to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft, which is a huge matter of pride to these players, you are going to go to a bad team. Competitors believe they can make a bad team good. If Joe doesn't want to come to Cinci because we have a bad record, then I don't want him here.

Last thing I'll say on this is that with the minimal exposure I've had to Burrow, he seems like the kind of guy that would tell Carson "Hmmm, I guess you weren't as good as I am Carson, I'm going to do something you never did."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 08:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: It would not be a positive talk about having a career in Cincinnati. Carson has been very vocal as of late for his disdain with Mike Brown.

Imagine him telling Joe , your career will be over before it begins. Then Carson goes on to tell Joe his experience with Brown and the front office.

I wonder if it would be convincing that Burrow would pull an Eli Manning and refuse to play for the Bengals?

On a side note, I was watching Inside The NFL this week and Brandon Marshall was sending a message to Burrow saying don’t go to Cincinnati, it will be the death of your QB career and you have so much to offer.

Mike Brown is not going to play that. If he drafts Burrow and Burrow demands to be traded, he will dig his heels in and Burrow won’t play anywhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:03 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I liked Palmer and don’t blame him for complaining about the way the Bengals are run the same things us fans complain about for years. Palmer wasn’t some pretty boy soft player some are making him out to be. He came back from two devastating ACL injuries with the Bengals and Cardinals and recovered from an Elbow injury on his throwing arm that some said required tommy John surgery. The Bengals went to 5 straight playoff games after Palmer but Palmer ultimately won playoff games with the Cardinals a feat the Bengals haven’t accomplished in almost 30 years.

I liked Palmer when he was  here as well, but he needs to let it go. The team MB put around him the year Pissburgh took out his knee was very well likely to go to the Super Bowl that year, which is why Kimo took out his knee. After that, for years Palmer refused to plant his front leg. He went elsewhere, so be it. He just needs to drop it.
Reply/Quote
Meh.. let him cry all the way to the bank
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure why people are thinking top tier college QBs are averse to joining bad teams... #1 overall pick QBs always go to the worst team....

If you want to be the number 1 overall pick in the draft, which is a huge matter of pride to these players, you are going to go to a bad team. Competitors believe they can make a bad team good. If Joe doesn't want to come to Cinci because we have a bad record, then I don't want him here.

There is a difference between a bad record and a dysfunctional franchise model.  Yes, I'd wager 1st overall QBs know they are going to a bad team, but when that bad team that year also happens to be a franchise that has shown long-term issues I would wager the fear grows just a bit.  Being a 1st overall pick prospect while a team like the Bengals, Lions, or Browns hold the top pick is a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

I don't think Burrow will freak out or hold out, but I can see how some organizations being last in the league looks worse than others if that makes sense.  Hell, look how much we didn't even care about the Browns having the 1st overall pick and how it didn't matter to us if they took Mayfield or Darnold or Allen or Saquon Barkley...we were sure the guy they picked was going to just flop because they're the Browns.

So bad team is one thing, but bad team of a bad franchise is a double whammy, to be sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is a difference between a bad record and a dysfunctional franchise model.  Yes, I'd wager 1st overall QBs know they are going to a bad team, but when that bad team that year also happens to be a franchise that has shown long-term issues I would wager the fear grows just a bit.  Being a 1st overall pick prospect while a team like the Bengals, Lions, or Browns hold the top pick is a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

I don't think Burrow will freak out or hold out, but I can see how some organizations being last in the league looks worse than others if that makes sense.  Hell, look how much we didn't even care about the Browns having the 1st overall pick and how it didn't matter to us if they took Mayfield or Darnold or Allen or Saquon Barkley...we were sure the guy they picked was going to just flop because they're the Browns.

So bad team is one thing, but bad team of a bad franchise is a double whammy, to be sure.

Bingo. Great job of differentiating between bad team and bad franchise . The bengals are one of the few that happen to be both
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Had enough with the negativism around here...

WTF?!!!! Whatever

Don't worry Nate!

This will all change when JB holds the number 1 Bengals jersey in April.   Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
I bet Marshall still thinks the Bengals are nothing but criminals too.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 03:55 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I bet Marshall still thinks the Bengals are nothing but criminals too.

Well, we do talk about Joe Mixon a lot.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 04:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Not sure why people are thinking top tier college QBs are averse to joining bad teams... #1 overall pick QBs always go to the worst team....

I worked out great for Eli and Elway. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 09:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope the young man is smarter than to take advice from a quitter. His (CP's) last year he was 4-12, they bring in a rookie 2nd round pick and he takes same team to playoffs 5 years in a row. If team was so bad, why couldn't Palmer with them?

CP never lived up the hype once his knee was destroyed, he is a baby and wimp and can't lead real men. 

luvnit, nothing against you, but that is the most idiotic comment I have ever seen from you. You know better!!!

Reply/Quote

Last thing I'll say on this is that with the minimal exposure I've had to Burrow, he seems like the kind of guy that would tell Carson "Hmmm, I guess you weren't as good as I am Carson, I'm going to do something you never did."

IMHO, Burrows reminds me of Tom Brady. It wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots go after him as Bradys replacement!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I liked Palmer when he was  here as well, but he needs to let it go. The team MB put around him the year Pissburgh took out his knee was very well likely to go to the Super Bowl that year, which is why Kimo took out his knee. After that, for years Palmer refused to plant his front leg. He went elsewhere, so be it. He just needs to drop it.
WhoDey2  I'm not trying to hijack the thread. However, I do have to say that while I have no proof I will go to my grave fully convinced that Bill Cowher walked into the Defensive Line meeting prior to game time and put a bounty on Carson... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
AJ comes back, we get back Jonah and he plays like a first round pick and we spend 2 picks on o line this year and maybe even sign a vet guy and this team WILL turn around. Burrow is a great QB and I think he’s a generational game changer. As long as we build around him and act like we know we got a beast we’ll be back to winning 10+ games a season again
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:41 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  I'm not trying to hijack the thread. However, I do have to say that while I have no proof I will go to my grave fully convinced that Bill Cowher walked into the Defensive Line meeting prior to game time and put a bounty on Carson... 

I agree, and whether that is true or not there is no denying Kimo held on to and twisted Palmer's knee in a purposeful action. I was extremely disappointed an Ex Bengal would do that to us.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 06:00 PM)Destro Wrote: I worked out great for Eli and Elway. 

2 times in how many years?  
Reply/Quote
Burrow may have been from Ohio, but that doesn't mean he knows how the Bengals are run. Someone earlier said he grew up a Saints fan. If that's true, I guarantee you he doesn't really know what the Bengals front office is like. Not like us. I bet anything that I - someone who doesn't live within an 8 hour drive of Cincinnati - know more about Mike Brown's ineptitude than someone living in Ohio that's not a Bengals fan.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 2 times in how many years?  

It's about that time again. They did it and ended up with great careers elsewhere. Sure is a lot more drafted franchise QBs that flamed out and didn't get rings and those two did. P. Manning and Aikman ( even more ) got help to turn their teams around. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:31 AM)RASCAL Wrote: luvnit, nothing against you, but that is the most idiotic comment I have ever seen from you. You know better!!!

Just another example of how most people around here form their opinions based on emotion instead of facts.

Palmer amazed people with how quickly he recovered from the injury in the '05 playoffs, and in '08 he actually played a game with a torn ligament in his elbow before shutting it down for surgery.  Then guys on the internet who wouldn't survive one play in the NFL call him a "baby" and a "wimp".
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 01:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 2 times in how many years?  

I'm not saying it happens often, but the fact that Eli and Elway have 4 SB rings total and the Chargers and Colts who got left in the dust by them didn't even make it to the SB without them is the part that goes against our concept of fairness.  If life were a movie the Colts and Chargers would have rallied around a different QB and trampled Elway and Eli on their way to glory, but instead the crybabies hoisted the Lombardi twice each and the spurned teams did not. 

The issue is that Eli Manning and John Elway both pulled major breaches of social and NFL etiquette but when you look at the results you can't hold that against them no matter how much you think they should have paid for their sin.  That's just how it works sometimes.  It's like in high school when I'd ask a girl out to the prom and she would say no and then go with someone better than me and I'd shrug and be like "Well...she's not regretting that move.  Oh well." In real life there never was that 3rd act where her date ditched her and broke her heart and I showed up and picked up the pieces and then we danced to "Love Lift Us Up."

Never happened....

ANyways, Burrow will be fine. He will come here and hopefully "Wheelburrow" Mike Brown's lazy ass into football greatness.
Reply/Quote