Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermediate step to beginning of life uncovered
(06-12-2015, 07:21 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And they abandoned that practice as they gained more knowledge.  

Do we still burn people at the stake for disagreeing with the Christian Church?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-12-2015, 08:41 PM)Beaker Wrote: So you are making the leap that because a bible verse has the word "circle" in it, the bible declared the Earth was round? Not buying it. The generality of bible verses is what allows for so many interpretations. That is a great example of claiming a general verse is a specific explanation.

You're a man of science. Do you guys consider a circle round?

(06-12-2015, 09:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're a man of science. Do you guys consider a circle round?

Yes.  A circle is round. Go get a piece of paper and a pencil. Draw a circle on the paper. Is it round? Yes. Is it flat?  Yes. Why?  Because a circle is a two dimensional object on a single plane. A sphere is a round three dimensional object. A sphere and a circle aren't the same.
(06-12-2015, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do we still burn people at the stake for disagreeing with the Christian Church?

Did the Church learn from their mistakes they can't admit they made?

I can't think of an example of science executing people for having a different theory. Can you?
(06-12-2015, 10:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes.  A circle is round. Go get a piece of paper and a pencil. Draw a circle on the paper. Is it round? Yes. Is it flat?  Yes. Why?  Because a circle is a two dimensional object on a single plane. A sphere is a round three dimensional object. A sphere and a circle aren't the same.

Tell it to Beaker; not to me. You and I both agree that the Bible suggested the earth is round.

(06-09-2015, 10:24 AM)Beaker Wrote: Many people are already called crazy for their religious beliefs...just look at ISIS right now. But as science uncovers more and more of how things work, less and less of it will be attributed to mysterious origins.

Science is just a guess .... Look how many times they have been wrong on everything. For the love of Pete look at global warming, everytime they are wrong they change the name. It's warming, then cooling, then weirding.
(06-12-2015, 11:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Science is just a guess ....  Look how many times they have been wrong on everything.     For the love of Pete look at global warming, everytime they are wrong they change the name.   It's warming, then cooling, then weirding.

I am trying to do a better job on this board and not sling mud, and to keep discussions civil. But there is so much wrong with this post that I am having a very hard time doing so.
(06-12-2015, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tell it to Beaker; not to me. You and I both agree that the Bible suggested the earth is round.

Because that was the point of the example? very religious thing to do....misdirect.
(06-12-2015, 10:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes.  A circle is round. Go get a piece of paper and a pencil. Draw a circle on the paper. Is it round? Yes. Is it flat?  Yes. Why?  Because a circle is a two dimensional object on a single plane. A sphere is a round three dimensional object. A sphere and a circle aren't the same.

Great. Now just connect where the concept of a sphere was a concept when the Earth was referred to as a circle.

And explain that mathematical concept in the terms a fisherman would have used a few thousand years ago.

Aaaaand... go!
(06-12-2015, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tell it to Beaker; not to me. You and I both agree that the Bible suggested the earth is round.

A circle is round and flat. Not spherical.
(06-12-2015, 11:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Great. Now just connect where the concept of a sphere was a concept when the Earth was referred to as a circle.

And explain that mathematical concept in the terms a fisherman would have used a few thousand years ago.

Aaaaand... go!

Huh?
(06-12-2015, 11:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Great. Now just connect where the concept of a sphere was a concept when the Earth was referred to as a circle.

Aaaaand... go!

Or i could just point out that both scriptures i posted...

22  It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,

When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,

Imply that the circle is drawn in this fashion;

[Image: 26AC.gif]

Which would make it hard to claim a flat earth, since the flat side would be the vertical plane.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-12-2015, 11:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Or i could just point out that both scriptures i posted...

Which would make it hard to claim a flat earth, since the flat side would be the vertical plane.

If he is sitting above the circle and looking down it would be like looking down at a circle drawn on a piece of paper, still a flat two dimensional circle with an x axis and a y axis, but no z axis.
(06-12-2015, 11:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Huh?

Exa ctly.

(06-12-2015, 11:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Or i could just point out that both scriptures i posted...

Well, then there's that.
(06-13-2015, 12:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If he is sitting above the circle and looking down it would be like looking down at a circle drawn on a piece of paper, still a flat two dimensional circle with an x axis and a y axis, but no z axis.

True, but example number two doesn't back that up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-13-2015, 12:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If he is sitting above the circle and looking down it would be like looking down at a circle drawn on a piece of paper, still a flat two dimensional circle with an x axis and a y axis, but no z axis.

LOL

Which works if you think all Christians believe God is a guy sitting on a chair on the moon.

Or, if you hold that it was the word transcribed by not very educated people thousands of years ago, they may have done the best they could to try and put advanced concepts into terms people would understand. Like 'hey, guys, the Earth is a circle hanging in the sky.' You can take that as a loose explanation for the time, or giggle and say they meant it was literally a disc  on a string.
(06-12-2015, 11:52 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A circle is round and flat. Not spherical.

Once again tell it to Beaker not to me.

We both agree the world is round and the Bible called it as such. Imagine just how much easier it would have been for you if the scripture had called the world square, flat, 2D, or anything else similar; then you would not be forced into trying to explain the difference between a circle and round.   

There is scripture about a birds-eye view and how light and day both exist at the same time on the earth, but this would be lost on those trying to be blind. 

(06-13-2015, 12:05 AM)Benton Wrote: Exa ctly.

Well, then there's that.

Would you like to explain?
(06-13-2015, 12:09 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True, but example number two doesn't back that up.

Example 2?
(06-13-2015, 12:09 AM)Benton Wrote: LOL

Which works if you think all Christians believe God is a guy sitting on a chair on the moon.

Or, if you hold that it was the word transcribed by not very educated people thousands of years ago, they may have done the best they could to try and put advanced concepts into terms people would understand. Like 'hey, guys, the Earth is a circle hanging in the sky.' You can take that as a loose explanation for the time, or giggle and say they meant it was literally a disc  on a string.

It could be that, but i prefer to look at it as 'the language of appearance'. Even today we still say "the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West", but we know that's not literally true. Hence, the language of appearance, since over the span of Centuries, the word has been translated many times and read by people of vastly different intelligence levels. A writer wants his words to be understood by anyone that would read it, in most cases. In regards to the Bible, it's expected to be understood by every culture on Earth. That's a lot of languages and intelligence levels.