Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Dalton a Patriot?
People keep poo pooing this scenario. Unless I missed it, NE has not drafted a QB. You can't tell me they are going to roll with Brian Hoyer and some kid I've never heard of. There's a deal in the works somewhere. 1 on 1 trade for a lineman? Belicheat, I would think, would realize if he puts a decent team around Dalton, he could win for them for a season or 2 while they work out getting their next franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
I agree with you. It is either Pats or Jags as neither has a good QB option.

However, Bengals may be trying to restructure AD and compete year #1 with Burrow. It is a huge deal having no rookie camps and possibly training camp for a QB. I found it interesting Zac told Burrow he had to win the job and Burrow agreed. Maybe smoke screen by Zac or maybe not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
NE has faith in Stidham and he looked pretty good in last years pre-season. He is another guy that has worked with Jordan Palmer, he may be a hidden gem up there. Only time will tell.
Reply/Quote
There will not be any trades because of Cam on the open market. Until there is a chance to get a medical evaluation on him, no one is going to trade picks for Andy. If Cam passes a physical, he is the #1 target for someone looking for a QB. If he fails, then it would be Andy.
Reply/Quote
Same boat as you. A lot of chatter of Andy landing there, but no moves. I read somewhere that BB might have enough confidence in Stidham to roll with him. Or, maybe there’s a qb he thinks he can mold into greatness that he’s confident he can get in later rounds? Hard to tell with BB. I think if they want to continue being competitive, then need someone like Andy for a few years.

Reply/Quote
Something people are forgetting when it comes to the NE needs Andy dialogue is the Patriots also have Josh McDaniel sitting in Bill's ear pointing out how he won a playoff game with Tim freaking Tebow under center...
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it may not be Dalton but I'm not buying that BB is going to roll with Stidham, and if he gets hurt all he has is Hoyer. He's going to have a hard enough time with fans for letting Brady walk. A losing season up there this year would be brutal. He NEEDS a solid bridge QB to get a new one up and running. Andy, for better or worse, is a proven winner when he has a team around him.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep poo pooing this scenario.  Unless I missed it, NE has not drafted a QB. You can't tell me they are going to roll with Brian Hoyer and some kid I've never heard of. There's a deal in the works somewhere. 1 on 1 trade for a lineman? Belicheat, I would think, would realize if he puts a decent team around Dalton, he could win for them for a season or 2 while they work out getting their next franchise QB.

They are in complete cap hell.  They would need the Bengals to absorb some of his contract.  While we are wearing our tin foil hats:  The Bengals have passed on a few good Guards.  Do they have a deal in principle to absorb some of Dalton's salary (or maybe Dalton would just have to sign a new deal) for Thuney?  There is no way the Pats can afford Thuney right now with 13 draft picks to sign.  

I would die if the Bengals got local kid and #1 RG in the NFL for Dalton, picking up some of his salary, and our 5th round pick.  I would honestly buy back my season tickets if that happened.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They are in complete cap hell.  They would need the Bengals to absorb some of his contract.  While we are wearing our tin foil hats:  The Bengals have passed on a few good Guards.  Do they have a deal in principle to absorb some of Dalton's salary (or maybe Dalton would just have to sign a new deal) for Thuney?  There is no way the Pats can afford Thuney right now with 13 draft picks to sign.  

I would die if the Bengals got local kid and #1 RG in the NFL for Dalton, picking up some of his salary, and our 5th round pick.  I would honestly buy back my season tickets if that happened.  

That's what I'm thinking, they already have the Dalton for Thuney trade worked out. Both teams win. Could also expain why they didn't draft a QB and we haven't drafted an olineman.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure we would have heard if he was... :P

I don’t think NE has the cap room for Dalton. They would probably try to sign him for peanuts if we cut him, but they had like 37 mid round picks and didn’t even call.

I just don’t think we get anything for him at this point. Probably just ends up getting cut.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same boat as you. A lot of chatter of Andy landing there, but no moves. I read somewhere that BB might have enough confidence in  Stidham to roll with him. Or, maybe there’s a qb he thinks he can mold into greatness that he’s confident he can get in later rounds? Hard to tell with BB. I think if they want to continue being competitive, then need someone like Andy for a few years.

Eason is still on the board....Trade Thuney to us for our 4th round pick???  They could draft Eason.  

Can you tell I want Thuney?  It would make sense to try and absorb that cost and get Thuney a new contract as they still have a RT on the relative cheap.  If they really wanted to address the line, they would have at the top of Rd 2 with Jones.  Maybe there actually IS something in the works? It probably won't involve Dalton, though.  
Reply/Quote
Fromm is still on the board, too.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what I'm thinking, they already have the Dalton for Thuney trade worked out. Both teams win. Could also expain why they didn't draft a QB and we haven't drafted an olineman.

Yep, beat me to it
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:42 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: There will not be any trades because of Cam on the open market.  Until there is a chance to get a medical evaluation on him, no one is going to trade picks for Andy.  If Cam passes a physical, he is the #1 target for someone looking for a QB.  If he fails, then it would be Andy.

Is he?

Pats have no cap money. A healthy Cam is 20 to 25 million a year. Winston is also 20 to 25 million a year.

So, it is not as cut and dry as you think in my opinion.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
You guys are dreaming on the Thuney trade stuff.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same boat as you. A lot of chatter of Andy landing there, but no moves. I read somewhere that BB might have enough confidence in  Stidham to roll with him. Or, maybe there’s a qb he thinks he can mold into greatness that he’s confident he can get in later rounds? Hard to tell with BB. I think if they want to continue being competitive, then need someone like Andy for a few years.

I can see it now:  AFC Title game:  New England with Dalton vs. Cincinnati and Burrow, the guy that took his job.

That would be some great theater.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:42 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: There will not be any trades because of Cam on the open market.  Until there is a chance to get a medical evaluation on him, no one is going to trade picks for Andy.  If Cam passes a physical, he is the #1 target for someone looking for a QB.  If he fails, then it would be Andy.

Cam has already passed a physical by an independent doctor.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure we would have heard if he was... Tongue

I don’t think NE has the cap room for Dalton. They would probably try to sign him for peanuts if we cut him, but they had like 37 mid round picks and didn’t even call.

I just don’t think we get anything for him at this point. Probably just ends up getting cut.

Pats or others have permission to restructure AD contract. They could give him a 2 year deal worth 25 million, but only 15 million guaranteed or a 3 year deal to spread the cap over many years, but no only 18 million guarantee (18 million divided by 3 years equals cap hit of only 6 million for the Pats).

It can be done more easily than some realize if a team wants Dalton.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You guys are dreaming on the Thuney trade stuff.

The whole idea of anyone trading for AD at all is a pipe dream.  If anyone wants him, all they have to do is wait.  He will not be an 18 million dollar backup here and he most certainly will not be the starter here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 10:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty sure we would have heard if he was... Tongue

I think Dalton would be open to a pay cut if we trade him to a team he can start for. With the musical chairs at QB almost over with he’ll probably be open to a pay cut to stay here soon if he’s not already. He’s in a situation now where less money will be his best career move
Reply/Quote