Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the John Ross Experiment near its end
(09-21-2020, 01:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How did Drew Sample figure out how to catch a pass from Burrow faster than John Ross?

More time in camp between Sample and Burrow then Ross and Burrow.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:07 PM)J24 Wrote: More time in camp between Sample and Burrow then Ross and Burrow.

I feel like extra camp time shouldn't make a blocking TE a better receiver than a 4th year WR with 1st round talent, but I guess I can't rule it out.  Ok, Ross is safe for another year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I assumed they'd run out as soon as Burrow doesn't want to throw the ball to Ross, but I guess we can ride the "Ross isn't used to Burrow" excuse for a bit.  The idea that a top 10 pick WR in his 4th year needs time to get used to having an elite QB talent throw him the ball is hard to believe, but whatever...let's roll with that for a while.
1.) He missed two weeks of camp and didn't have a whole off-season to work with Burrow. QBs and WRs take time to build Chemistry between them. 

2.) I think it's been well stated that Ross hasn't lived up to his draft status as a number 10 pick. With that being said he is a good #3 or #4 option as a WR and is 4.2 speed still brings fear to Defenses.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:13 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) He missed two weeks of camp and didn't have a whole off-season to work with Burrow. QBs and WRs take time to build Chemistry between them. 

2.) I think it's been well stated that Ross hasn't lived up to his draft status as a number 10 pick. With that being said he is a good #3 or #4 option as a WR and is 4.2 speed still brings fear to Defenses.

Well, Ross sure looks lousy in the box score so I certainly hope he's scaring the hell out of opposing defenses on potential alone.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, Ross sure looks lousy in the box score so I certainly hope he's scaring the hell out of opposing defenses on potential alone.
Well Burrow did miss a wide open Ross in the Endzone week 1. So maybe it's not all on Ross? Of course that doesn't fit the John Ross sucks narrative so well
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:28 PM)J24 Wrote: Well Burrow did miss a wide open Ross in the Endzone week 1. So maybe it's not all on Ross? Of course that doesn't fit the John Ross sucks narrative so well

There is also that small issue of John Ross having less impact on the Bengals in 3+ years than Burrow has had in 2 games.
Reply/Quote
What I dont quite understand is how come our genius
HC doesnt rewind the film back to 2018 in those 1st few
Weeks when Ross had 2 TDs in the 1st 5 weeks of the season
Vs The Colts and Falcons.? Go back look at the film and see what concepts Lazor was using in that 5 and 1 start
That was the last time this offense looked really proficent and dangerous.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is also that small issue of John Ross having less impact on the Bengals in 3+ years than Burrow has had in 2 games.

How is it Ross's fault that Burrow missed him when he was wide Open in the Endzone again? 
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:28 PM)J24 Wrote: Well Burrow did miss a wide open Ross in the Endzone week 1. So maybe it's not all on Ross? Of course that doesn't fit the John Ross sucks narrative so well

We are at the point that Ross is writing his own narrative not those that have questioned his production especially being 9th pick in draft.  The Bengals already declined his option that is telling.. Burrow throw the ball 97 times in two games  and Ross has 2 catches.. that is telling.

At some point we need to evaluate and i would say Ross needs to show he is worth being on the field over the next two games or give Higgins who already looks better than Ross did as a rookie more reps and activite Tate.. he at least can play special teams.

Anyone that actually believes a defense is changing because of the threat of Ross has to be kidding themselves. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:41 PM)J24 Wrote: How is it Ross's fault that Burrow missed him when he was wide Open in the Endzone again? 

It’s amazing how every other WR (& TE) on the team caught passes in a game where Burrow was spreading the ball around like crazy, but yeah it’s the QB, it’s the HC, it’s the play calling, it’s the type of cleats he’s wearing...

It’s everything except the fact that John Ross is just not a good football player.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:41 PM)J24 Wrote: How is it Ross's fault that Burrow missed him when he was wide Open in the Endzone again? 

How could Marivn Lewis and Andy Dalton manage to have winning records here but still not make Ross look good?

So far ZT is putting Ross out there less and less and Burrow is targeting him less.  So we are looking at our 2nd HC and QB who don't seem to really want to feature John Ross.  What I think about Ross is irrelevant compared to the people that are supposed to get him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s amazing how every other WR (& TE) on the team caught passes in a game where Burrow was spreading the ball around like crazy, but yeah it’s the QB, it’s the HC, it’s the play calling, it’s the type of cleats he’s wearing...

It’s everything except the fact that John Ross is just not a good football player.

Burrow is on pace to smash the season record for pass attempts and Ross has 2 receptions in 2 games.  Ross' entire tenure here has been almost non-stop garbage time...he should have a loaded statline.
Reply/Quote
Watch him go somewhere else in the offseason and finally put up a decent year.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We are at the point that Ross is writing his own narrative not those that have questioned his production especially being 9th pick in draft.  The Bengals already declined his option that is telling.. Burrow throw the ball 97 times in two games  and Ross has 2 catches.. that is telling.

At some point we need to evaluate and i would say Ross needs to show he is worth being on the field over the next two games or give Higgins who already looks better than Ross did as a rookie more reps and activite Tate.. he at least can play special teams.

Anyone that actually believes a defense is changing because of the threat of Ross has to be kidding themselves. 
1.) John Ross had 7 TDs in 2018 and he had 503 yards in 8 games last season which in full 16 game schedule is a 1000 yard received. So saying he hasn't produced is terribly incorrect.

2.) Anyone that thinks John Ross speed doesn't concerned D coordinators is flat out wrong.
(09-21-2020, 03:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s amazing how every other WR (& TE) on the team caught passes in a game where Burrow was spreading the ball around like crazy, but yeah it’s the QB, it’s the HC, it’s the play calling, it’s the type of cleats he’s wearing...

It's amazing that Joe Burrow is 1-12 on Deep passes and has averaged a whopping 5.3 yards an attempte his first two games. It's like he is struggling to get in sync with his top deep targets? I wonder why that is?
(09-21-2020, 03:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How could Marivn Lewis and Andy Dalton manage to have winning records here but still not make Ross look good?

So far ZT is putting Ross out there less and less and Burrow is targeting him less.  So we are looking at our 2nd HC and QB who don't seem to really want to feature John Ross.  What I think about Ross is irrelevant compared to the people that are supposed to get him the ball.

John Ross was injured his rookie season, he actually played more with Jeff Driskle then Andy Dalton his second season and he scored 7 TDs, and last season he only played 8 games and he was on pace for 1000 yards. 

Ross was never going to be the main guy here. It's clearly AJ #1, Boyd #2, then maybe Ross as third probably 4th option on this team. Him not getting targets and not getting snap's isn't that a big surprise for me.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 04:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Him not getting targets and not getting snap's isn't that a big surprise for me.

Well we can agree on this.  I'm getting less and less surprised that Ross isn't producing and they're not using him as much.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 04:24 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) John Ross had 7 TDs in 2018 and he had 503 yards in 8 games last season which in full 16 game schedule is a 1000 yard received. So saying he hasn't produced is terribly incorrect.

2.) Anyone that thinks John Ross speed doesn't concerned D coordinators is flat out wrong.
It's amazing that Joe Burrow is 1-12 on Deep passes and has averaged a whopping 5.3 yards an attempte his first two games. It's like he is struggling to get in sync with his top deep targets? I wonder why that is?

John Ross was injured his rookie season, he actually played more with Jeff Driskle then Andy Dalton his second season and he scored 7 TDs, and last season he only played 8 games and he was on pace for 1000 yards. 

Ross was never going to be the main guy here. It's clearly AJ #1, Boyd #2, then maybe Ross as third probably 4th option on this team. Him not getting targets and not getting snap's isn't that a big surprise for me.

Probably because one is past his prime, and looks super rusty after not having played in year and a half, and the other flat out sucks.

Burrow had no problem hitting Uzomah right on the money for a 23 yard TD. I wonder why that is...

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 04:24 PM)J24 Wrote:  Ross was never going to be the main guy here. It's clearly AJ #1, Boyd #2, then maybe Ross as third probably 4th option on this team. Him not getting targets and not getting snap's isn't that a big surprise for me.

You don't draft guys #9 overall to be the 3rd or 4th option.

When they took him I'm assuming they eventually wanted him to 1b to AJ's 1a, while also addressing a need in the future when AJ moves on.

Not getting snaps?  I'm pretty sure he lead the team in snaps in week 1 and did jack squat.
Reply/Quote
I know a few of those Ross TDs and yards were garbage time, plus he was injured ( again ) on one TD. People love the, "on pace for" thing with Ross, when it only does a slight story. Potential does not equal actuality. He is also on pace for 16 catches and 136 yards this year. Mixon has more receiving yards than Ross. Boyd had more yards last year than Ross has for a career. 53 men on the roster; plenty of guys deserve a fan more than him.
Reply/Quote
Lets really put John Ross production in a seasonal box. Coming into this year he as averaged 16 catches for 239 yards and 3 TDs coming from our 9th/10th pick i believe in the draft.. if even you take in for games misses with injuries those are rough numbers. If you think that is bad Now lets put this in a better perspective after 2 games he is on target to matching 16 catches a season... YEA and having only 130 yards and zero TDS

He actually has been in for 40 percent of the offensive plays....

WOW
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 04:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably because one is past his prime, and looks super rusty after not having played in year and a half, and the other flat out sucks.

Burrow had no problem hitting Uzomah right on the money for a 23 yard TD. I wonder why that is...

Of course it's every one else fault but Burrow.  He misses two guys that were wide ass open but it somehow isn't his fault.
J24

Reply/Quote