Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency"
I don’t even need them to “win” FA by signing the biggest name guys. I just want to see them sign two starters and be aggressive about getting them, one at Oline and one at LB. By starters, I mean guys that could be starters on any team in the league. I’d like to see them go hard after Thuney or Glasgow for LG and Schobert or Kwiatkoski at LB.
Reply/Quote
I think “ technically “ they will be more active. When you’re big free agent signings last year consisted of B.W. Webb , Kerry Wynn, John Miller and Preston Brown there’s only one way but up I think lol.
Reply/Quote
Today the Bengals announced they're going to give fans something they always want... Something to complain about.. "We have succeeded in giving the fans of our team something to complain about and will continue to give them things to complain about." ~The Entire Organization
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 01:03 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don’t even need them to “win” FA by signing the biggest name guys. I just want to see them sign two starters and be aggressive about getting them, one at Oline and one at LB. By starters, I mean guys that could be starters on any team in the league. I’d like to see them go hard after Thuney or Glasgow for LG and Schobert or Kwiatkoski at LB.

Completely agree no ones saying they have to give out crazy contracts to top free agents the minute free agency starts. The Bengals typically sign the 3rd and 4th wave of free agents typically no names or over the hill vets and first round busts. I’m looking for them to sign guys in that 2nd wave. Unfortunately I think Thuney and Scherff will be the first guards signed that’s why I think Glasgow might be more realistic. And Schobert won’t command as much as Littleton who is likely to be the first linebacker signed.
Reply/Quote
Paul Dehner Jr talked on this topic in this week's BBP podcast after an interview with Coach Taylor. Said he thought the Bengals would be more active on the 2nd wave of FA's this year vs the 3rd/4th wave of free agents like last year. Said not to expect them to overpay to get the Thuneys & Littletons, but more the Graham Glasglows & Joe Shoberts. Regardless, I think most here would be pumped with 2-3 of those type of signings.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 12:23 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: But wasnt Rendell wren capable of being a 3 tech? Thought he could become that type if player.

Wren did absolutely nothing last year.
Reply/Quote
Every time I think about the Bengals and free agency I can't help but think of what year was it ? 12, 13 ? When Marvin came out and said words to the effect of "we're gonna make a big wave in free agency this year, things won't be as before". First two weeks of free agency went by and all we heard was crickets !

We ended up getting AJ Hawk and couple Joe Blows or something ?

I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 01:30 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Wren did absolutely nothing last year.

Wren seems like a project player with upside. He was a one year starter in college people get excited because of his size and physical tools which is understandable. Honestly not sure if the Bengals drafted him to play NT or the 3 technique.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 12:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nate Clements - 2 years/10.5 mil total   ***Out of league after 2012

Clements was over the hill and replaced Joseph who got a contract 5x that amount. We didn't even sign bim during free agency. He was a training camp cut in late July.  He was a substantial downgrade and a much cheaper optjon than the guy we let walk.

The fact that Clements was cheaper than Joseph does not mean we were dumpster diving

His contract adjusted to todays salary cap would be 2 years 17.5 million.  He was coming off a season where he had started 16 games and finished in the top ten in tackles (82) and solo tackles  (72) by a CB.  He also had 3 ints, 3 FF, and 8 TFL.  He wa still a highly regarded CB.  The only reason Niners released him was due to the fact that he had one of the highest contracts in the league. 

(02-22-2020, 12:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Thomas Howard - 2 years/6.5 mil total  ***Out of league after 2012

Thomas Howard was waived mid-season prior to us signing him. No one bothered claiming him. He had 7 tackles that year in 12 games, and 9 starts. 7!!!  He ended up being decent for a year but, again, 25 year old guys dont sign 2 year deals at 6 mil if theyre a covetsd free agent.

Adjusted contract value 2 yr, $10.8 million.  

Howard had fallen out of favor with new defensive coaches in Oakland in his fifth season but he was still just 28 years old and his first four years with the Raiders he started 62 games with 318 solo tackles (15th among all LBS), 382 total tackles (24th), 7 interceptions (4th), and 24 passes defended (9th).  He had proven to be a very productive starter.

(02-22-2020, 12:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Manny Lawson - 1 year/3.5 mil

Lawson was a first round bust. That's why, despite being young, he signed a 1 year bargain bjn deal. He was also cheaper than the guy he replaced. (Rivers)

Adjusted contract 1 year $5.8 million.  Not exactly a "bargain bin deal".

Lawson had started since his rookie season.  He missed 14 games with injury his second season, but in the two seasons prior to joining the Bengals he had 32 starts with 127 tackles, 9 sacks, 26 QB hits (15th among all LBs),and 5 forced fumbles.

Not a big star, but a productive starter.  And still just 27 years old.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 01:24 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Paul Dehner Jr talked on this topic in this week's BBP podcast after an interview with Coach Taylor. Said he thought the Bengals would be more active on the 2nd wave of FA's this year vs the 3rd/4th wave of free agents like last year. Said not to expect them to overpay to get the Thuneys & Littletons, but more the Graham Glasglows & Joe Shoberts. Regardless, I think most here would be pumped with 2-3 of those type of signings.

I think that most of the well grounded Bengal fans would be really excited for a couple of solid, but not earth shattering free agent signings.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it seems to me that the bulk of the "mega deals" in free agency, never seem to live up to the hype.  Of course, I also subscribe to the philosophy that believes that you can't just throw a collection of talent together and expect them to instantly be a cohesive team.  However, bringing in a few talented guys that strengthen what you already have going can go a long way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 02:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that most of the well grounded Bengal fans would be really excited for a couple of solid, but not earth shattering free agent signings.  I don't know the actual numbers, but it seems to me that the bulk of the "mega deals" in free agency, never seem to live up to the hype.  Of course, I also subscribe to the philosophy that believes that you can't just throw a collection of talent together and expect them to instantly be a cohesive team.  However, bringing in a few talented guys that strengthen what you already have going can go a long way.

That's myself and many others are asking for. Couple still in their prime decent free agents. I'm not talking gazillion dollar CB's, top dollar DE's, top rated LT.

Just a solid RG and decent LBer ! Not some guy entering year 12 and another oft injured 1st round bust just off knee surgery.
Reply/Quote
At the very least I think they'll spend on the OL and sign a CB to replace Kirkpatrick. Maybe a veteran TE if Eifert doesn't resign for some reason. Then I expect Dennard, Billings, AJ, and Fej to resign. Honestly, I'd be fine with those 4 only. I also think they'll make one more run for Shaq Barrett and secure him this time to make the pass rush a definite strength. I think they believe they're one draft pick away from LB being a solid group due to Pratt coming on so probably expect Vigil back as well, or the usual LB signing for $5 million.

I think Zac would love to bring in Whitworth to play LG next to Jonah and help bring up Jordan mentally but would MB be man enough to apologize for lowballing him in 2017 (lol)? I don't expect Thuney to be on the radar despite him being a local kid but I think Glasgow would be just as good. At that point, we can roll with Hart for another year or take a chance on Johnson cause now only 1 spot would be a weakness on the OL. I will say that Miller did play decent when healthy and Hopkins played some of his best football with Miller next to him, so maybe they don't view that both guard spots need to be upgraded.

For the draft that should leave us in pretty decent shape. Can definitely attack LB, CB (if they don't sign one), WR, S, and draft developmental OL and DL prospects
Reply/Quote
You kinda need to address LB and OL via FA and draft so I expect us to kick the tires on at least 1 of those areas

If we do neither then idk what to think honestly.

We’ve got obvious holes and no smart franchise would think they will all be fixed via draft
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 12:17 PM)J24 Wrote: We have Topu, Glasgow, and Wrenn we are well positioned at nose tackle without Billings but 3T behind Geno is a major issue.

No. You need to keep Billings. Bottom line. He’s starting to show why he was at one point a top 15 projected player, and with the way this team drafts and it’s lack of aggressiveness in FA if you hit on a draft pick u need to resign him.... and def Sign him now before his stock rises on another team. Topou is great behind him. Glasgow can find another team to play for imo or him and wren can battle is out for a roster spot but Topou and Billings should be our Nt all day no question. The man to replace geno is who we need to start looking for.
Reply/Quote
Well I hope they are more active, but like a lot of you, I'll believe it when I see it. There will be a few good olinemen in free agency, let's see if Mr. Brown and crew will pony up or once again hit the clearance rack at Wal-Mart.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 12:23 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: But wasnt Rendell wren capable of being a 3 tech? Thought he could become that type if player.
The only person that was saying that was Prisco but who knows maybe he is right.
(02-22-2020, 12:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tupau is the only one of those that I would consider to be a true NT type, and he has shown some solid development, but is he ready to be THE man?  Glassgow is still a mystery, as the guy flashes, but can't stay whole long enough to make a case for greater responsibility.  Wrenn?  I sure hope that the coaches see something in him that I don't.

I predict that the team signs Billings to a 3 year deal, he was rated as one of the Bengals most improved players, and the Bengals like to reward guys that they brought up.
I think Josh Topuo is ready to take over; as for Wren and Glasgow I'm not really impressed by either but I think there capable of being backups. I think we have too many nose tackles and not enough interior pass rushers but that's a different discussion. 
(02-22-2020, 02:47 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No.  You need to keep Billings.  Bottom line.  He’s starting to show why he was at one point a top 15 projected player, and with the way this team drafts and it’s lack of aggressiveness in FA if you hit on a draft pick u need to resign him.... and def Sign him now before his stock rises on another team.  Topou is great behind him. Glasgow can find another team to play for imo or him and wren can battle is out for a roster spot but Topou and Billings should be our Nt all day no question.  The man to replace geno is who we need to start looking for.
It will suck to lose Billings I think he has a ton of potential I think he will be the best nose in the NFL. However he will be expensive and like the full back its an outdated position.
Not sure spending money on him is worth it unless you feel he has 3 down potential in him.
Andrew Brown is another guy I would keep an eye on I think he can be a Michael Bennett like player for us.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that Clements was cheaper than Joseph does not mean we were dumpster diving

His contract adjusted to todays salary cap would be 2 years 17.5 million.  He was coming off a season where he had started 16 games and finished in the top ten in tackles (82) and solo tackles  (72) by a CB.  He also had 3 ints, 3 FF, and 8 TFL.  He wa still a highly regarded CB.  The only reason Niners released him was due to the fact that he had one of the highest contracts in the league. 

Howard had fallen out of favor with new defensive coaches in Oakland in his fifth season but he was still just 28 years old and his first four years with the Raiders he started 62 games with 318 solo tackles (15th among all LBS), 382 total tackles (24th), 7 interceptions (4th), and 24 passes defended (9th).  He had proven to be a very productive starter.

Lawson had started since his rookie season.  He missed 14 games with injury his second season, but in the two seasons prior to joining the Bengals he had 32 starts with 127 tackles, 9 sacks, 26 QB hits (15th among all LBs),and 5 forced fumbles.

Not a big star, but a productive starter.  And still just 27 years old.

I actually thought those three signings were very good. 

RIP Thomas Howard. 
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when I see it.

However, I said the exact same thing before last off season for the Reds. And they really surprised me. And then this off season, they blew me away.

So let's see if the Bengals can replicate the Reds.

I am like 5% optimistic at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His contract adjusted to todays salary cap would be 2 years 17.5 million.

It doesn't work that way, Fred.

JJo's 5yr/$48.75m contract he got "adjusted to todays salary cap" according to your relative increases would produce a 5yr/$81.25m deal. That would be $16.25m/yr, which is $1.2m/yr more than any other CB in the league right now (and $2.21m/yr more than the 3rd highest paid CB). 

But JJo wasn't anywhere near the highest paid CB in the league in 2011 at $9.75m/yr. Let alone far ahead of everyone else.
Revis: $11.5m/yr
Bailey: $10.75m/yr
Woodson: $11.0m/yr
Asomugha: $14.3m/yr
(Those are just some of the guys, I am sure there are more.)

So adjusting the spending to the cap increases just simply doesn't work like you're suggesting. Probably because Quarterbacks (and to a lesser degree pass rushers) have eaten up so much of the cap increases.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sounds nice, but I'll never believe any pre-FA hype after this:

Quote:Lewis made it clear in a conversation with the Cincinnati Enquirer and Bengals.com that with respect to the Bengals' free-agency plans this year, don't expect the team to sit back and let the rest of the league wheel and deal around them. Look for them to be a little more aggressive. You can thank Brown for that.

"He doesn't want to hear, 'We will be better when we get these guys back,' " Lewis said in the Enquirer. "No, we need to get better. He knows we need to get better. He's pushing people to identify players that will make us a better football team in free agency."

https://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/83523/bengals-free-agency-shift-a-sign-mike-brown-wants-to-win

The only notable player we signed was Michael Johnson for 4 years/$20 million.

I do think we'll be more active than we have been lately, but I won't hold my breath for multiple big signings. I'll believe that when I see it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote