Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency"
(02-24-2020, 01:25 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: We just need a few pieces I wish Mike would actually try and fn win it's just sad. What is he saving all his money for? That guy is cheap as hell. His dad would be absolutely ashamed. Mike brown is making his dad Paul Brown look bad and it's sad. Was this organization ever considered a bad place to play from '68 up until '90? Was this organization considered a shithole before Mike Brown?

Well, Paul Brown could be tight with a dollar also, the difference being he knew what he was doing. He made good moves for the most part, a lot of folks think his biggest mistake was letting Bill Walsh leave Cincinnati and then tried to have him black-balled. Mike Brown has been known for his thrifty ways and has seemed at times to be completely lost when it comes to running an NFL franchise, especially in the nineties when he first took over. The front office seems to improved over that time, but Mike Brown still seems set in his ways and behind the times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It was still a "C" tier signing, at best. He was riding the pine for Oakland the year before we signed him.

Yes he wound up being solid for us, but that doesn't change the fact that he was kind of a "value" signing.

Teams weren't lining up with blank checks to sign Thomas Howard coming off a year on the bench.

Adjusted to todays salary cap his contract would be worth $5.4 million per year.  That would put him among the top 20 highest paid OLBs in 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2019/average/outside-linebacker/

No way you can call that a "C" tier signing.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 12:19 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Well, Paul Brown could be tight with a dollar also, the difference being he knew what he was doing. He made good moves for the most part, a lot of folks think his biggest mistake was letting Bill Walsh leave Cincinnati and then tried to have him black-balled. Mike Brown has been known for his thrifty ways and has seemed at times to be completely lost when it comes to running an NFL franchise, especially in the nineties when he first took over. The front office seems to improved over that time, but Mike Brown still seems set in his ways and behind the times.

I'll be honest here, I'm probably one of the few fans that has never put PB on a pedestal. Sure we played in 2 SBs and came within seconds of winning, but there were alot of losing seasons under PB. We were often the joke in the AFC Central. Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Houston beat us regularly. PB was also the guy that hired head coaches Bill Johnson and Homer Rice, traded away Bill Bergey. He had his share blinders.
Reply/Quote
"There is no market yet to be read"

Set the market for once, Duke.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think if there is a year we actually do make some moves it would be this one. We are moving on from our last franchise QB, 
getting a new one with the first overall pick and we have obvious holes and there will be tons of players in FA that will fit our 
needs. We will have lots of money to spend as well if we move on from the proper players. 

Have to move on from Dalton which will free up dough and probably get us at the very least a mid round pick. Should move 
on from Glenn who doesn't want to be here and this will free up 9.5 mil or so. We might move on from Kirkpatrick which would
also free up money etc.

Bring in any of Thuney, Glasgow, Feiler, Scherff, Conklin, for the OL (and there are more out there I would be fine with).

Any of Jamie Collins, Trevathan, Littleton, Schobert etc at LB and we are sittin' pretty going into the Draft.

Good list Nate.  Bengals will not sign the top tier OL unfortunately.  But I can see them signing both Schobert and Kwiatkoski to add with Pratt.  Draft a rookie backer in Queen or Brooks.  I think Graham Glasgow will be the Guard they bring to Cincinnati.  Just my thoughts.    
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good list Nate.  Bengals will not sign the top tier OL unfortunately.  But I can see them signing both Schobert and Kwiatkoski to add with Pratt.  Draft a rookie backer in Queen or Brooks.  I think Graham Glasgow will be the Guard they bring to Cincinnati.  Just my thoughts.    

Thanks, and I would be very happy with Schobert or Kwiatcoski and Glasgow. Very happy. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, and I would be very happy with Schobert or Kwiatcoski and Glasgow. Very happy. Cool

Me too, any one of those guys would upgrade positions in need. Hell if we got all 3 of them would be in good shape going into the draft to take more or less BPA which having the first pick in every round could be a good thing.

Also hope we get more picks by trading Andy and Glenn. We could hit a homerun this offseason if we play our cards right. Hope Zac/Tobin/Brown get it done.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good list Nate.  Bengals will not sign the top tier OL unfortunately.  But I can see them signing both Schobert and Kwiatkoski to add with Pratt.  Draft a rookie backer in Queen or Brooks.  I think Graham Glasgow will be the Guard they bring to Cincinnati.  Just my thoughts.    

You know, that's what is so frustrating about being a Bengals fan. The fan base already accepts that were not going after a top tier free agent, we'll sign a few middle of the road to lower tier free agents after the dust settles and that's if were lucky, and we as fans will be thankful for the scraps. If the Bengals ever sign a big free agent on the first day of free agency, even if they had to overpay for the likes of a Thuney or Scheriff, I'd probably shit myself and be a babbling wreck for a few days walking around in disbelief; and when I did come to my senses, I'd want to know what Katie and the rest of the family had done to Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 12:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'll be honest here, I'm probably one of the few fans that has never put PB on a pedestal. Sure we played in 2 SBs and came within seconds of winning, but there were alot of losing seasons under PB. We were often the joke in the AFC Central. Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Houston beat us regularly. PB was also the guy that hired head coaches Bill Johnson and Homer Rice, traded away Bill Bergey. He had his share blinders.

He was kind of a dick to Bill Walsh, and also sired Mike Brown. Color me unimpressed as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 04:40 PM)jason Wrote: He was kind of a dick to Bill Walsh, and also sired Mike Brown. Color me unimpressed as well.

Walsh's claims that PB blackballed him are BS.  He got a job immediately with the Chargers.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Adjusted to todays salary cap his contract would be worth $5.4 million per year.  That would put him among the top 20 highest paid OLBs in 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2019/average/outside-linebacker/

No way you can call that a "C" tier signing.

You can't just adjust for inflation and compare salaries from 2011 to salaries in 2020. Valuation of positions has changed.

Why not just look up where he ranked in 2011?

Your main folly though is comparing that salary to outside linebackers rather than simply comparing it to all free agents that were signed. Signing an outside LB (coming off a season on the bench) to a 2 year/$6.5 million deal was just a pretty average free agency signing. Even in 2011.

Even Bengals.com made it sound like he was simply an insurance policy for Keith Rivers, who was dealing with injury.

If it makes you feel better, I'll give it a C+. Thomas Howard was not a "B" tier signing though. Not after a year on the bench, and not at that money. "B" tier to me is someone like Antwan Odom or Lavernues Coles. A pretty decent splash. "A" tier would be guys like Suh when he signed with the Dolphins.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 12:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'll be honest here, I'm probably one of the few fans that has never put PB on a pedestal. Sure we played in 2 SBs and came within seconds of winning, but there were alot of losing seasons under PB. We were often the joke in the AFC Central. Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Houston beat us regularly. PB was also the guy that hired head coaches Bill Johnson and Homer Rice, traded away Bill Bergey. He had his share blinders.

You obviously are not aware of how hard it was to build an expansion team before free agency.  The Bengals had a losing record their first two seasons.  After that they only had one losing season with PB as HC and made the playoffs 3 of 6 years (when only 8 teams qualified).

He had a winning record during his 15 years as GM (after he retired as head coach) with only 6 losing seasons, 4 more playoff seasons, and 2 Super Bowls.

Not a dominating record, but there is no way you can say we were "often the joke of the AFC Central".  In fact Paul Brown had a winning record against every single team in the AFC Central as HC/GM ('68-'90).

21-20-0 v Pitt
22-19-0 v Hou
24-19-1 v Cle
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 04:22 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: You know, that's what is so frustrating about being a Bengals fan. The fan base already accepts that were not going after a top tier free agent, we'll sign a few middle of the road to lower tier free agents after the dust settles and that's if were lucky, and we as fans will be thankful for the scraps. If the Bengals ever sign a big free agent on the first day of free agency, even if they had to overpay for the likes of a Thuney or Scheriff, I'd probably shit myself and be a babbling wreck for a few days walking around in disbelief; and when I did come to my senses, I'd want to know what Katie and the rest of the family had done to Mike Brown.
I said this in another thread but the Bengals have several of their own players they either have to extend or sign.  Even if Dalton is traded and they cut Kirkpatrick I just don't think they can do it financially.  

With that said Glasgow is a pretty good guard
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 05:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You can't just adjust for inflation and compare salaries from 2011 to salaries in 2020. Valuation of positions has changed.

Why not just look up where he ranked in 2011? 

You look it up.  You were the one who made the statement that he was a "C" level signing.  So why not post something to back it up?

I post facts to back up my opinions.  Why do you feel you don't have to?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 01:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: "There is no market yet to be read"

Set the market for once, Duke.

Free agency hasn't Started Yet....
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 05:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  "A" tier would be guys like Suh when he signed with the Dolphins.

So that is the type of deal you want Mike Brown to make?  Dolphins ended up with over 20 million in dead cap space on their roster when they cut Suh after three disappointing years.

I find this attitude of "We don't care how good they are, we just want the highest paid" kind of silly.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Walsh's claims that PB blackballed him are BS.  He got a job immediately with the Chargers.

That doesn't mean Walsh lied about PB giving him poor reviews to teams who called.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So that is the type of deal you want Mike Brown to make?  Dolphins ended up with over 20 million in dead cap space on their roster when they cut Suh after three disappointing years.

I find this attitude of "We don't care how good they are, we just want the highest paid" kind of silly.

Where did I say that? You've got to stop doing this stuff. You seem to really enjoy making up stuff to argue against.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That doesn't mean Walsh lied about PB giving him poor reviews to teams who called.

But there is no other source for the claims.  No one from any team has ever said anything like that except Walsh.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Where did I say that? You've got to stop doing this stuff. You seem to really enjoy making up stuff to argue against.

Not makin g up anything.  You complain about Mike Brown never signing an "A" level free agent and the example you use is Suh.

And when we sign a player that starts and improves our team, like Thomas, you whine about that being "same old C level signing"
Reply/Quote