Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency"
We'll resign our own "Free agents" and magically have only $2 left for Mikey to put in his change jar.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 09:20 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: When taking a qb first round, you need to surround him with talent to give an early chance to succeed.

who cares what this dufus says...Its all up to MB. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 01:15 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I think “ technically “ they will be more active. When you’re big free agent signings last year consisted of B.W. Webb , Kerry Wynn, John Miller and Preston Brown there’s only one way but up I think lol.

Remember 2 years ago right around this time we were excited AF that they signed Preston Brown? Good times...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 07:16 PM)jason Wrote: Remember 2 years ago right around this time we were excited AF that they signed Preston Brown? Good times...

Sounded good at the time. Led the league in tackles the year before, and we desperately needed help at LB.

But man other than that pick against the Colts he sucked here
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
hahaha.. been around since the 80s, you ain't fooling me Tobin.  Mooning
Reply/Quote
A couple of B grade free agents would be a welcome change.

The whole waiting for the market to "set itself" comment gives me a little pause relative to possible changes in free agent activity. They wait every year and it blows by them, leaving them to clean up the dregs. If their staff and front office have truly nailed down the type of player they are looking for, then they should be prepared to pursue. Waiting for the market to set while other organizations are active limits their options, IMO. If they see a guy they feel can help, then get him. They can afford it this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 07:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sounded good at the time. Led the league in tackles the year before, and we desperately needed help at LB.

But man other than that pick against the Colts he sucked here

Yeah... In all honesty, I'd never heard of the guy when we signed him. Just like Minter the year before. I'd seen some Bills games, and never noticed him, but I assumed people had seen what I didn't.

Maybe he's just one of those dinosaurs that the game is moving away from... One dimensional thumper.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 07:42 AM)Takedown Wrote: It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency than they have in the past, but Tobin is cautious because there is no market yet to be read and, well, he's not going to say much else because it is the biggest poker game of the year. The stakes open in mid-March.

"The plan is try and put together the best roster we can find and it's not something we proclaim in advance," Tobin said.

For the past several years the Bengals have kept their signing of unrestricted free agents to a minimum in an effort to gather extra draft picks. But Tobin said that hasn't been a ram-rod principle.

"It's not a driving force. It's something to be aware of when we're going through the process, but it's not an overriding factor," Tobin said. "We want to build the best team. At times that requires looking at players from other teams and sometimes extending players on your own team. It's not easily predictable and we haven't been able to sit down yet with a player or an agent."

Next week they'll have 18 minutes to sit and talk. Offense is always going to get the headlines now and 10 years from now when they talk about this draft. But with the defense more settled this time around and picking at the top of each round, it may have a big impact, too.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Perhaps they're listening to the media and thinking of shutting them up?

I guess we get to find out when the free agency period starts. If this is true, then it would be a big shift in thinking by Mike Brown and the front office.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 12:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess we get to find out when the free agency period starts. If this is true, then it would be a big shift in thinking by Mike Brown and the front office.

Maybe not as big a shift in thinking as some would make it out to be.  I get that the common thought on the boards is that the Bengals "never do much" in free agency, when in reality they usually do make some moves.  They just usually focus on retaining their own players that they can, and choose from the lower end of the market when they need to. 

I am not getting my hopes up that they will be outbidding other teams for any of the "Marquis" players on the market, but if they are hinting that they are going to do something, I think it's realistic to expect a mid-level signing or two.  Will it be enough to satisfy the fans thirst for some action?  Probably not.  But, if they do bring in a couple of solid vets that improve the overall quality of the team, I'll be happy with that.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 01:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe not as big a shift in thinking as some would make it out to be.  I get that the common thought on the boards is that the Bengals "never do much" in free agency, when in reality they usually do make some moves.  They just usually focus on retaining their own players that they can, and choose from the lower end of the market when they need to. 

I am not getting my hopes up that they will be outbidding other teams for any of the "Marquis" players on the market, but if they are hinting that they are going to do something, I think it's realistic to expect a mid-level signing or two.  Will it be enough to satisfy the fans thirst for some action?  Probably not.  But, if they do bring in a couple of solid vets that improve the overall quality of the team, I'll be happy with that.

Yeah, but what Tobin said doesn't fit with Model Model.

Yes, the team does usually do something in free agency, but the moves are generally players cut by other teams and usually bargain bin signings that don't endanger the comp picks they expect.

Trying to build the best roster was never part of Model Model.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 04:04 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but what Tobin said doesn't fit with Model Model.

Yes, the team does usually do something in free agency, but the moves are generally players cut by other teams and usually bargain bin signings that don't endanger the comp picks they expect.

Trying to build the best roster was never part of Model Model.

Model Model has allowed the Family to buy out minority ownership, employ all the kids/grandkids, minimize expenses, leech off of revenue sharing, and hoard away a tidy profit. What it has not done is produce a successful franchise. Mike has one of the three worst winning percentages in the league since he took over, and the league’s longest Playoff win drought.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will do little to nothing in free agency, ho-hum any enticing trade deals, draft Joe Burrow, and say, “Problem solved!” I know how this story goes.
Reply/Quote
We just need a few pieces I wish Mike would actually try and fn win it's just sad. What is he saving all his money for? That guy is cheap as hell. His dad would be absolutely ashamed. Mike brown is making his dad Paul Brown look bad and it's sad. Was this organization ever considered a bad place to play from '68 up until '90? Was this organization considered a shithole before Mike Brown?
Reply/Quote
[Image: tenor.gif]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 07:42 AM)Takedown Wrote: It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency than they have in the past, but Tobin is cautious because there is no market yet to be read and, well, he's not going to say much else because it is the biggest poker game of the year. The stakes open in mid-March.

"The plan is try and put together the best roster we can find and it's not something we proclaim in advance," Tobin said.

For the past several years the Bengals have kept their signing of unrestricted free agents to a minimum in an effort to gather extra draft picks. But Tobin said that hasn't been a ram-rod principle.

"It's not a driving force. It's something to be aware of when we're going through the process, but it's not an overriding factor," Tobin said. "We want to build the best team. At times that requires looking at players from other teams and sometimes extending players on your own team. It's not easily predictable and we haven't been able to sit down yet with a player or an agent."

Next week they'll have 18 minutes to sit and talk. Offense is always going to get the headlines now and 10 years from now when they talk about this draft. But with the defense more settled this time around and picking at the top of each round, it may have a big impact, too.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-prime-for-combine-don-t-forget-the-defense

Perhaps they're listening to the media and thinking of shutting them up?

I think if there is a year we actually do make some moves it would be this one. We are moving on from our last franchise QB, 
getting a new one with the first overall pick and we have obvious holes and there will be tons of players in FA that will fit our 
needs. We will have lots of money to spend as well if we move on from the proper players. 

Have to move on from Dalton which will free up dough and probably get us at the very least a mid round pick. Should move 
on from Glenn who doesn't want to be here and this will free up 9.5 mil or so. We might move on from Kirkpatrick which would
also free up money etc.

Bring in any of Thuney, Glasgow, Feiler, Scherff, Conklin, for the OL (and there are more out there I would be fine with).

Any of Jamie Collins, Trevathan, Littleton, Schobert etc at LB and we are sittin' pretty going into the Draft.
Reply/Quote
This scene immediately came to mind when I read the thread's title.

https://youtu.be/2omx0uvl0WU
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
I didn't see the interview, but saw a tweet from Joe Goodberry saying Coach Taylor was interviewed on GMFB on the NFL Network this morning. I guess Taylor referenced making additions on free agency multiple times.

I'm still in the 'believe it when I see it' camp, but this seems to be another positive that a change could be a coming.
Reply/Quote
I hope that this "more active" of which they speak is not just more of the same kind of "active" that we usually get.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 12:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is bologna. Those were dumlster diving, cheap, band-aid signings.

Nate Clements - 2 years/10.5 mil total   ***Out of league after 2012

Thomas Howard - 2 years/6.5 mil total  ***Out of league after 2012
Manny Lawson - 1 year/3.5 mil

Clements was over the hill and replaced Joseph who got a contract 5x that amount. We didn't even sign bim during free agency. He was a training camp cut in late July.  He was a substantial downgrade and a much cheaper optjon than the guy we let walk.

Lawson was a first round bust. That's why, despite being young, he signed a 1 year bargain bjn deal. He was also cheaper than the guy he replaced. (Rivers)

Thomas Howard was waived mid-season prior to us signing him. No one bothered claiming him. He had 7 tackles that year in 12 games, and 9 starts. 7!!!  He ended up being decent for a year but, again, 25 year old guys dont sign 2 year deals at 6 mil if theyre a covetsd free agent.

C'mon now. None of those signings indicated a change of approach. 

Thomas Howard was out of the league due to a career ending injury. Not because he couldn't play. He was a FA steal. One of the fastest LBs in the league and made a huge impact for us. Unfortunately got injured and that forced Burfict into his starting spot
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2020, 09:24 PM)Mobster Wrote: Thomas Howard was out of the league due to a career ending injury. Not because he couldn't play. He was a FA steal. One of the fastest LBs in the league and made a huge impact for us. Unfortunately got injured and that forced Burfict into his starting spot

It was still a "C" tier signing, at best. He was riding the pine for Oakland the year before we signed him.

Yes he wound up being solid for us, but that doesn't change the fact that he was kind of a "value" signing.

Teams weren't lining up with blank checks to sign Thomas Howard coming off a year on the bench.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote