Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Its becoming clear we knocked this last draft out of the park
After last night we can really see how good of a draft Duke and co put together this year.

ROUND 1- Myles Murphy DE- Full disclosure I preferred Sam LaPorta on draft day and still would rather that have been the pick, BUT Myles is starting to really come on and show flashes of being a game changer. He is 21 and won't be 22 until next month so his best days are wayyy ahead of him. At this point his floor looks like a more athletic Sam Hubbard and his ceiling is sky high if he can hone his technique and reach it.

ROUND 2- DJ Turner CB- What a steal this kid was. Day 1 looked the part of a good corner and will only get better. The speed, the coverage, the tackling have all been awesome. I expect with CTB out he will have a few plays where he looks like a rookie but for a late 2nd round pick can't ask for a better performance thus far.

ROUND 3- Jordan Battle S- Another absolute steal. When we picked this kid I thought well ok special teamer and backup but boy was I wrong. In only a few starts he's already shown he's gonna be a player for us for many years. The instincts, the hitting both A from me. He just seems to always be in on the play in the same way Vonn Bell was. I can't really speak to his coverage skills yet but I don't notice him much which is probably a good sign.

ROUND 4- Charlie Jones WR- A couple injuries have set him back but when he's played he is already showing to be our best punt returner since Pacman. I expect next season we will really find out if hes got game if (when) we let Boyd walk and he steps in to a more prominent role in the offense. Keep in mind he is playing through a torn labrum that needs surgery in the off-season.

ROUND 5- Chase Brown RB- FINALLY THE COACHES LET THIS KID SHOW WHAT HE CAN BRING. Listen I love Joe Mixon hes been a great Bengal but after last night I think Chase might be the best RB on the roster. He has speed, juice, seems to read the hole well and oh did I mention SPEED (kinda important when you run out of the shotgun a lot). If I was the coach from here forward Chase would be the starting RB and Mixon would be the goalline/short yardage back. Still a lot we have to see to call him a steal but I think its looking like a steal.

ROUND 6-Andrei Iosivas WR- Steal. 6th round is not where you expect to find a WR who looks good as a rookie in a very talented WR room but Duke and co found one. Yoshi will be good for us for a while and truly the sky is the limit for him. Tall, long, fast, knows how to scramble and get open when plays get extended. Very excited for this kids future.

ROUND 6- Brad Robbins P- So far hasn't been good enough. Might be a miss here we will see if he can step it up.

ROUND 7- DJ Ivey CB- Can't say I know much about the kid but I heard he was really flashing in camp. He is on the active roster as a 7th rounder and that alone is quite impressive. Time will tell if he makes an impact for us.

Overall just a fantastic draft class and when its all said and done might boast 6-7 solid players/starters for us.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Nice post BTG. With Murphy coming along it sure has made this Draft so much better. I knew it would take a while with him
but seeing some of his talent this year at times is what I wanted to see flash. DJ Turner just has fluid hips with elite speed,
these are things you cannot teach. Jordan Battle has great instincts coming from Bama and is a great tackler.

Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas could both be really good WR's for us as well.

Robbins hasn't been very good this year, but neither was Huber his rookie season.

I really like Ivey and wasn't a fan of the pick initially but he has nice length, hope to see more of Ivey with CTB on IR.

Yes, they knocked it out of the park with this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:34 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: After last night we can really see how good of a draft Duke and co put together this year.

ROUND 1- Myles Murphy DE- Full disclosure I preferred Sam LaPorta on draft day and still would rather that have been the pick, BUT Myles is starting to really come on and show flashes of being a game changer.  He is 21 and won't be 22 until next month so his best days are wayyy ahead of him.  At this point his floor looks like a more athletic Sam Hubbard and his ceiling is sky high if he can hone his technique and reach it.

ROUND 2- DJ Turner CB- What a steal this kid was.  Day 1 looked the part of a good corner and will only get better.  The speed, the coverage, the tackling have all been awesome.  I expect with CTB out he will have a few plays where he looks like a rookie but for a late 2nd round pick can't ask for a better performance thus far.

ROUND 3- Jordan Battle S- Another absolute steal.  When we picked this kid I thought well ok special teamer and backup but boy was I wrong.  In only a few starts he's already shown he's gonna be a player for us for many years.  The instincts, the hitting both A from me.  He just seems to always be in on the play in the same way Vonn Bell was.  I can't really speak to his coverage skills yet but I don't notice him much which is probably a good sign.

ROUND 4- Charlie Jones WR- A couple injuries have set him back but when he's played he is already showing to be our best punt returner since Pacman.  I expect next season we will really find out if hes got game if (when) we let Boyd walk and he steps in to a more prominent role in the offense.  Keep in mind he is playing through a torn labrum that needs surgery in the off-season.

ROUND 5- Chase Brown RB- FINALLY THE COACHES LET THIS KID SHOW WHAT HE CAN BRING.  Listen I love Joe Mixon hes been a great Bengal but after last night I think Chase might be the best RB on the roster.  He has speed, juice, seems to read the hole well and oh did I mention SPEED (kinda important when you run out of the shotgun a lot).  If I was the coach from here forward Chase would be the starting RB and Mixon would be the goalline/short yardage back.  Still a lot we have to see to call him a steal but I think its looking like a steal.

ROUND 6-Andrei Iosivas WR- Steal.  6th round is not where you expect to find a WR who looks good as a rookie in a very talented WR room but Duke and co found one.  Yoshi will be good for us for a while and truly the sky is the limit for him.  Tall, long, fast, knows how to scramble and get open when plays get extended.  Very excited for this kids future.

ROUND 6- Brad Robbins P- So far hasn't been good enough.  Might be a miss here we will see if he can step it up.  

ROUND 7- DJ Ivey CB- Can't say I know much about the kid but I heard he was really flashing in camp.  He is on the active roster as a 7th rounder and that alone is quite impressive.  Time will tell if he makes an impact for us.

Overall just a fantastic draft class and when its all said and done might boast 6-7 solid players/starters for us.

I kinda agree with everything except the joe Mixon part,I love Mixon because he is a very reliable bell cow running back who continues to run hard even when the line in front of him don't perform, and I must mention this he's very safe with the football I never worry about if he'll fumble and that goes along way right now..
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:50 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I kinda agree with everything except the joe Mixon part,I love Mixon because he is a very reliable bell cow running back who continues to run hard even when the line in front of him don't perform, and I must mention this he's very safe with the football I never worry about if he'll fumble and that goes along way right now..

I love Mixon and he is a solid runner he gets whats there and runs hard.  I just kinda feel like his limited speed means defenses dont have to stack the box because they aren't afraid he is going to find a seam and punish them with a long TD run.  Chase on the other hand can strike some fear in DCs with his speed.  Also, a fresh Mixon on the goalline and short yardage will be a legit weapon he is very very good at gettin yards in those situations.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
It was a hell of a draft!

I'll admit that I questioned a lot of the picks and didn't understand them.

1. I was scared that Murphy would be a bust and a wasted pick because that's what it seemed like early, but I'm happy with the way he is coming on. I wanted MM at TE.

2 & 3. I think we could have one of the better secondaries in the league in coming years and these two will be a big part of why.

4. He has shown flashes and could be a valuable asset.

5. I agree that he has looked great and like a steal but I also think Mixon has looked good recently because he's running harder and more downhill.

6. He's a reliable target that finds openings. Great pick in the sixth round.

If we keep having drafts like this, we'll build a hell of a team!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:34 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: After last night we can really see how good of a draft Duke and co put together this year.

ROUND 1- Myles Murphy DE- Full disclosure I preferred Sam LaPorta on draft day and still would rather that have been the pick, BUT Myles is starting to really come on and show flashes of being a game changer. He is 21 and won't be 22 until next month so his best days are wayyy ahead of him. At this point his floor looks like a more athletic Sam Hubbard and his ceiling is sky high if he can hone his technique and reach it.

ROUND 2- DJ Turner CB- What a steal this kid was. Day 1 looked the part of a good corner and will only get better. The speed, the coverage, the tackling have all been awesome. I expect with CTB out he will have a few plays where he looks like a rookie but for a late 2nd round pick can't ask for a better performance thus far.

ROUND 3- Jordan Battle S- Another absolute steal. When we picked this kid I thought well ok special teamer and backup but boy was I wrong. In only a few starts he's already shown he's gonna be a player for us for many years. The instincts, the hitting both A from me. He just seems to always be in on the play in the same way Vonn Bell was. I can't really speak to his coverage skills yet but I don't notice him much which is probably a good sign.

ROUND 4- Charlie Jones WR- A couple injuries have set him back but when he's played he is already showing to be our best punt returner since Pacman. I expect next season we will really find out if hes got game if (when) we let Boyd walk and he steps in to a more prominent role in the offense. Keep in mind he is playing through a torn labrum that needs surgery in the off-season.

ROUND 5- Chase Brown RB- FINALLY THE COACHES LET THIS KID SHOW WHAT HE CAN BRING. Listen I love Joe Mixon hes been a great Bengal but after last night I think Chase might be the best RB on the roster. He has speed, juice, seems to read the hole well and oh did I mention SPEED (kinda important when you run out of the shotgun a lot). If I was the coach from here forward Chase would be the starting RB and Mixon would be the goalline/short yardage back. Still a lot we have to see to call him a steal but I think its looking like a steal.

ROUND 6-Andrei Iosivas WR- Steal. 6th round is not where you expect to find a WR who looks good as a rookie in a very talented WR room but Duke and co found one. Yoshi will be good for us for a while and truly the sky is the limit for him. Tall, long, fast, knows how to scramble and get open when plays get extended. Very excited for this kids future.

ROUND 6- Brad Robbins P- So far hasn't been good enough. Might be a miss here we will see if he can step it up.

ROUND 7- DJ Ivey CB- Can't say I know much about the kid but I heard he was really flashing in camp. He is on the active roster as a 7th rounder and that alone is quite impressive. Time will tell if he makes an impact for us.

Solid draft so far but still need more playing time to decide how well later round picks will be. Turner has played well and bad at times, hopefully he limit the bad heading into next year as a starting CB. Murphy had a slow start but playing better. Robbins has been good at not giving up much return yards but needs to get better. Iconic we talk about such a good draft but it has no Oline drafted, hopefully next year we can talk about Oline draft picks performing well
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:50 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I kinda agree with everything except the joe Mixon part,I love Mixon because he is a very reliable bell cow running back who continues to run hard even when the line in front of him don't perform, and I must mention this he's very safe with the football I never worry about if he'll fumble and that goes along way right now..

Among RBs this year, Joe Mixon is getting the 20th most yards before contact per rush and the 33rd most yards after contact per rush.

Last year he was 26th before contact and 34th after contact.

He's been below 32nd in yards after contact per carry two years in a row now. There's a limit to how hard of a runner you can be considered when you are consistently bad once contacted. The OL isn't excellent, but Mixon makes them look worse.

- - - - -

As for the OP, unless they're Ja'Marr Chase or Cedric Ogbuehi levels of obviously good or bad, I always think it's pointless to judge picks until at least 2 full years have passed. I'm sure there's plenty of threads in the depths of this board about how great the Bengals draft were mid-rookie-season. Think about how excited some people were for William Jackson, Nick Vigil, and Andrew Billings. plus the usual hype for late WRs like Cody Core.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Among RBs this year, Joe Mixon is getting the 20th most yards before contact per rush and the 33rd most yards after contact per rush.

He's been below 32nd in yards after contact per carry two years in a row now. There's a limit to how hard of a runner you can be considered when you are consistently bad once contacted. The OL isn't excellent, but Mixon makes them look worse.

- - - - -

As for the OP, unless they're Ja'Marr Chase or Cedric Ogbuehi levels of obviously good or bad, I always think it's pointless to judge picks until at least 2 full years have passed. I'm sure there's plenty of threads in the depths of this board about how great the Bengals draft were mid-rookie-season. Think about how excited some people were for William Jackson, Nick Vigil, and Andrew Billings. plus the usual hype for late WRs like Cody Core.

Agree on Mixon, we need a RB that breaks tackles and makes Defenders miss. Hope to see more of Chase Brown for this very reason.

On the last part, obviously I loved Billings, but an overall Draft with this many rookies contributing this much good play in their rookie 
year hasn't happened often. We usually don't play rookies much, especially in the Marv years besides Dalton and Green obviously.
Reply/Quote
It seems it's shaping up to be a decent draft, or even better. But it's still too early to draw any real conclusions.
Reply/Quote
Mixon's terrible, people. You gotta get over it already

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Among RBs this year, Joe Mixon is getting the 20th most yards before contact per rush and the 33rd most yards after contact per rush.

- - - - -

In the end I would say Vigil and Billings were hits and pretty good draft picks. Considering both are still playing in the league. And Billings got a contract extension last month. Not many make it as long as they have
Reply/Quote
Need to see more our of Murphy before I praise this draft. Whiffing on a first rounder would really bad.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Need to see more our of Murphy before I praise this draft. Whiffing on a first rounder would really bad.

I also need to see more

Volson has had good 2 game stretches in his career as well

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote

My top 3 picks was Kincaid, LaPorta or Gibbs. Thought we could get LaPorta in the second but thanks to Det we didn’t. Ragnow flash back.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:34 PM)TKUHL Wrote: My top 3 picks was Kincaid, LaPorta or Gibbs. Thought we could get LaPorta in the second but thanks to Det we didn’t. Ragnow flash back.

Damn Lions did it again lol

Loved Ragnow in that Draft, but honestly didn't think Price would be as bad as he has been either.

LaPorta has been a stud rookie with the Lions this year for sure. Heard the Bengals wanted Kincaid, who I didn't care for much.

But Kincaid is doing some good things for the Bills.
Reply/Quote
Wanted a TE but can't complain at all about the players drafted so far and the emergence of Hudson lessens the blow of not drafting TE anyway.

If Murphy pans out this draft will be amongst the best ever.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Murphy has a bed red flag attached to him because the FO felt the need to break a trend they set in the preseason and extended an older player in Hendrickson

. I'll admit that Murphy has looked less like a bum since I called him one, but need to see more. I don't like the bad omen we've gotten so far though.

The secondary get a pass until next year, but they're improved week over week; sure.

Andre Yoshivas looks like a struggling receiver. Not a fan of him running incorrect routes like he did a while back. Sixth round guy though and the upside is there.

Jones has shown flashes as a special team player, but hasn't shown himself as a good Boyd replacement, mainly because of an early injury. Jury is still out on him as a receiver.

Revist this thread two years from now.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:37 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Murphy has a bed red flag attached to him because the FO felt the need to break a trend they set in the preseason and gave an older player in Hendrickson a third contract. I'll admit that Murphy has looked less like a bum since I called him one, but need to see more. I don't like the bad omen we've gotten so far though.

The secondary get a pass until next year, but they're improved week over week; sure.

Andre Yoshivas looks like a struggling receiver. Not a fan of him running incorrect routes like he did a while back. Sixth round guy though and the upside is there.

Jones has shown flashes as a special team player, but hasn't shown himself as a good Boyd replacement, mainly because of an early injury. Jury is still out on him as a receiver.

Revist this thread two years from now.

If you don't think DJT and Battle have looked about as good as you can expect a rookie to look your standards are way too high.  Both pump out consistent 70s and 80s PFF scores AS ROOKIES.  Hell Marvin used to redshirt these guys.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If you don't think DJT and Battle have looked about as good as you can expect a rookie to look your standards are way too high.  Both pump out consistent 70s and 80s PFF scores AS ROOKIES.  Hell Marvin used to redshirt these guys.  

Yeah, rookies look a hell of a lot worse than this most years unless you have really special players that are rare as can be like 
AJ Green or even better Ja'Marr Chase. Corners usually struggle more than DJ Turner has as a rookie, Leon Hall was way worse
as a rookie and he turned out to be a good player for us.

This is a rare Draft class as almost all of them have contributed almost immediately. This is not the norm.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, rookies look a hell of a lot worse than this most years unless you have really special players that are rare as can be like 
AJ Green or even better Ja'Marr Chase. Corners usually struggle more than DJ Turner has as a rookie, Leon Hall was way worse
as a rookie and he turned out to be a good player for us.

This is a rare Draft class as almost all of them have contributed almost immediately. This is not the norm.

Spot on as always Nate. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote