Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow criticize the offensive play calling
(09-20-2021, 11:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I noticed that too. Sanchez would draw the line and then Mixon would follow it. That’s pathetic. Makes you wonder if they even worked this week… I heard on a podcast they did an additional walkthrough this week instead of a regular practice… what were they doing leading up to this game?

Being fair, they played an extra quarter in very hot conditions in the opener.  Can't blame them for subbing out a practice for a walkthrough, especially with a tough division game this week followed by a Thursday night game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: We weren't talking pass blocking and yes that could be better. But he's a good pass catcher and it's not his fault we don't target him. I don't think the Bears were all that worried about our WR or they wouldn't be sitting on the routes.

Regardless of how good or bad anybody thinks he is as a pass catcher, his poor blocking is likely a big reason why he doesn't get more opportunities.  A lot of RB passing assignments require them to block/chip first, then release.  And that is his fault.  He's a 5th year starter in the league and still can't block.

As Chase said, the Bengals didn't start throwing down field until late, so the Bears sat on the underneath stuff.  That's more of a play calling issue than a talent one.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 06:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: Good for J'Marr. I understand Burrow did something similar.

Joe cannot be Joe with this horrible line and Pollak cannot fix an already bad fix.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Regardless of how good or bad anybody thinks he is as a pass catcher, his poor blocking is likely a big reason why he doesn't get more opportunities.  A lot of RB passing assignments require them to block/chip first, then release.  And that is his fault.  He's a 5th year starter in the league and still can't block.

As Chase said, the Bengals didn't start throwing down field until late, so the Bears sat on the underneath stuff.  That's more of a play calling issue than a talent one.

Okay your probably right as far as pass blocking goes and certainly in the past when we had Gio it limited his targets due to not being in on 3rd downs and 2 minute drives / down at the end of the game. I would also agree that at this stage in his career he's probably about as good of a blocker as he's gonna be but the with Gio dominating those reps it has probably hampered him from not getting game reps and how much he's being coached / asked to do.

Also the same logic your using for Chase and Co. is the same I'm using for Mixon that his lack of receiving stats is due more to play calling than talent. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: Being fair, they played an extra quarter in very hot conditions in the opener.  Can't blame them for subbing out a practice for a walkthrough, especially with a tough division game this week followed by a Thursday night game.

I was a bit concerned we were going to go to OT again against CHI. Glad we didn’t in a way.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was a bit concerned we were going to go to OT again against CHI. Glad we didn’t in a way.

I think if they had not missed the tackle on Fields Burrow takes the field and they win it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:09 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Was just thinking last night that I’ve never seen Joe pump fake… must not be in his skill set.

Joe Burrow is so good...(crowd: how good is he??)...he's so good he doesn't even need to pump fake to try and fool anyone. 

[Image: 7gHM1DCEbOO8bqG7IDoLByLnCcEtx3kHx8T1efQ3...e55ae9f6a3]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Mixon is actually a very good receiver out of the backfield. Not surprising if some people wouldn't know that because we don't target him enough.

Over the five games that Mixon was healthy last year he had the 8th most targets among RBs.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 06:24 PM)Destro Wrote: Rookie knows what's up.

That says a lot, and not just about the rookie.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 10:34 PM)samhain Wrote: Playcalling is the worse culprit IMO.  You can't be that predictable in the NFL unless your execution is flawless. They were literally predictable enough that the Bears secondary just sat down on routes and waited for the short throws.  A coach has to see that developing over the course of a game and react.  They removed an aspect of the offense that has been at least somewhat effective this year (the deep ball) almost completely.  I thought they were going to spring it on them in the 3rd like they did with the Vikings last week, but they stuck to the same script until they got down 2 TDs.  

Marvin caught a ton of shit for not making adjustments at the half, but what I saw today was far worse than anything I ever saw Marvin do as HC here.  Marvin was conservative, but he wasn't stupid or out of his depth as a professional.  

The worst part was, when they actually attempted the deep pass, it worked.  Why the hell did they not have the confidence in their offensive personnel to try those kinds of things sooner?  They were clearly capable.  That's on the staff.  

I'll agree with ya, but I do recall a game where the defense of our opponent said they knew what we were going to run when we came out of the huddle. It's been a while, and I don't remember the opponent, but there were a few players that mentioned it in the post game interviews.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:17 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Why haven't they posted the Zac Taylor Press Conference on Bengals.com? Is it that bad? I hear he called out his defense for giving up 13 points and not getting enough takeaways.

That's BS if he did. Defense did its part Sunday. His shitty offense put them in some pretty bad situations. Without em, we get blasted.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not sure Zac did that, but the offense did give the play away by the formation. Also too much empty backfield (especially with Burrow holding the ball too long) and too much shotgun. I just watched the formation and guessed the play correctly every time. Also no shifts, no screens, no draws, no movement by Burrow, nothing whatsoever to slow the Bears down an iota.
Reply/Quote