Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow criticize the offensive play calling
(09-19-2021, 10:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: Weren't you here this offseason and so many on the boards said drafting Jackson Carman and picking up Reiff was enough to make this OL a HUGE improvement under Pollack? Ninja

Chase vs. drafting a Decent Lineman will be an issue for a couple seasons to come.

The crappy part is, it's a legit out for saying whether or not ZT is a decent coach. Nobody is going to win much with this line. You can add the top five skills players in the league, it won't matter if the line is garbage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:08 PM)Benton Wrote: Playcalling is more limited when your line stinks.

There's an odd parallel with ML on the deep ball. CP9 and CJ used to criticize that, too. I don't think it was the line as much as ML being reluctant to throw it deep. I think ZT is fine with throwing it deep, he just doesn't have the line to do that. I'd be happy if he just called run plays till 2022 in hopes of getting a decent couple linemen.

I fear the dilemma is that there is a fear of Joe getting hurt which gets in the way of game planning to exploit the defense. If he’s healthy, air it out. Throw it deep. The line IMO is a scapegoat today… they gave enough time to chuck it up ala Higgins bomb that was dropped. If you’re going to take sacks and throw picks anyways I say huck and pray.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely love this! About time players started calling out this sorry excuse for a coaching staff. Burrow and Co. would literally be much better off if they could call the plays on their own
Reply/Quote
Why haven't they posted the Zac Taylor Press Conference on Bengals.com? Is it that bad? I hear he called out his defense for giving up 13 points and not getting enough takeaways.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:08 PM)Benton Wrote: Playcalling is more limited when your line stinks.

There's an odd parallel with ML on the deep ball. CP9 and CJ used to criticize that, too. I don't think it was the line as much as ML being reluctant to throw it deep. I think ZT is fine with throwing it deep, he just doesn't have the line to do that. I'd be happy if he just called run plays till 2022 in hopes of getting a decent couple linemen.

I can't agree open this one. The bad play calling is setting up the line issues not the other way around. No max protect? No going deep to get the defense to back off? No screens? Way too much empty backfield - which with a defense playing no less than 8 guys within 10 of the line is a recipe for blocking problems? I don't care who you run out there as linemen, no line is going to succeed with this gameplan. 

Notice the Rams did exactly what we should have - they max protected and threw deep right out of the gate. By getting the bombs they forced the Bears to back off the line.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: I can't agree open this one. The bad play calling is setting up the line issues not the other way around. No max protect? No going deep to get the defense to back off? No screens? Way too much empty backfield - which with a defense playing no less than 8 guys within 10 of the line is a recipe for blocking problems? I don't care who you run out there as linemen, no line is going to succeed with this gameplan. 

Notice the Rams did exactly what we should have - they max protected and threw deep right out of the gate. By getting the bombs they forced the Bears to back off the line.  

I was told one time by a poster on here that I was dumb for calling for less 5 wide. Apparently 5 wide reduces pass rush because the D needs to cover. All I’ve ever seen is Burrow getting murdered.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:17 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Why haven't they posted the Zac Taylor Press Conference on Bengals.com? Is it that bad? I hear he called out his defense for giving up 13 points and not getting enough takeaways.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:26 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I was told one time by a poster on here that I was dumb for calling for less 5 wide. Apparently 5 wide reduces pass rush because the D needs to cover. All I’ve ever seen is Burrow getting murdered.

I think 5 wide is a secret conspiracy by defensive coordinators to make their jobs easier...
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: I can't agree open this one. The bad play calling is setting up the line issues not the other way around. No max protect? No going deep to get the defense to back off? No screens? Way too much empty backfield - which with a defense playing no less than 8 guys within 10 of the line is a recipe for blocking problems? I don't care who you run out there as linemen, no line is going to succeed with this gameplan. 

Max protect with what?

You form a wall of tissue paper, it's still just tissue paper. 

People are upset that there's limited playcalling. I get that. But there's limited playcalling because the line stinks. All offensive plays generate at the line. If your line is weak in one area, it cuts down what you can do. Our line is weak in every area, which means we've got a very restricted scope of plays. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Zac Taylor should be fired just for saying that. It was Lou Anarumo and his defense which made the game look closer than it actually was.
Reply/Quote
My problem with the play calling is this, Chicago was good at stopping the short passes last week.

They showed that they could completely stop the Rams short passing game. They couldn't stop the Rams deep passing game at all.

They had passes of 17, 18, 19, 37, 56 and 67. The Rams were passing and completing on deep passes, at will. Showed no ability to be able to stop it.

Zac Taylor apparently thought after watching this footage from week one, that we matched up well against their short passing defense which looked great.

I don't mind starting out with some short passes thinking that maybe they'll try and over compensate for the deep passes, but to not have a plan for deep routes against them or making those adjustments far to late is just terrible.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote

What a piece of shit.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Chase vs. drafting a Decent Lineman will be an issue for a couple seasons to come.

The crappy part is, it's a legit out for saying whether or not ZT is a decent coach. Nobody is going to win much with this line. You can add the top five skills players in the league, it won't matter if the line is garbage.

Which is why you build up the line first.  

Nothing against Chase, who is looking like a fine pick. But if Burrow gets battered, and possibly ruined, what is the point? 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:42 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: My problem with the play calling is this, Chicago was good at stopping the short passes last week.

They showed that they could completely stop the Rams short passing game. They couldn't stop the Rams deep passing game at all.

They had passes of 17, 18, 19, 37, 56 and 67. The Rams were passing and completing on deep passes, at will. Showed no ability to be able to stop it.

Zac Taylor apparently thought after watching this footage from week one, that we matched up well against their short passing defense which looked great.

I don't mind starting out with some short passes thinking that maybe they'll try and over compensate for the deep passes, but to not have a plan for deep routes against them or making those adjustments far to late is just terrible.

I think Zac and company outsmart themselves all the time. Something like “Chicago will be fixing their long game and looking for that so if we focus on short game we will catch them off guard.”. Then he isn’t flexible enough to fix his crappy game plans mid game.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Which is why you build up the line first.  

Nothing against Chase, who is looking like a fine pick. But if Burrow gets battered, and possibly ruined, what is the point? 

Maybe Burrow wanted Chase more.  If we are going to stick Burrow with a dumbass HC and an owner who isn't known for being any good at his job then we need to earn points with him where we can.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Chase vs. drafting a Decent Lineman will be an issue for a couple seasons to come.

I don't know if there are anymore outs. Look at the Texans this year they have a top 10 QB who can't be played because of off the field issues. They were seemingly selling anyone that someone was interested in and they are still playing competitive football and Maimi did the same thing a couple of years ago. Good coaching should elevate players play.
Reply/Quote

Well they had an opportunity to address this obvious issue this offseason, nobody will know exactly who is responsible for the lack of urgency to address this OL, but at the end of the day it will be the fans who are going to suffer through another season of the same ole same ole.
Reply/Quote

Thanks. I heard from another poster (not sure who) that Zac blamed the defense. I didn't hear that in the press conference. He blamed the offense's turnovers for the loss. 

Looking back, if they just took more deep shots and didn't turn the ball over they could have won easily. If Dalton didn't get injured, I think it would have been a tougher win. With Fields out there and our defense playing like they were, all we needed was to take care of the ball and connect on a TD to win. What a wasted opportunity.
Reply/Quote
This loss definitely taught Burrow and co. to be more patient and take what the defense gives you. Hopefully the game planning improves.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think Zac and company outsmart themselves all the time. Something like “Chicago will be fixing their long game and looking for that so if we focus on short game we will catch them off guard.”. Then he isn’t flexible enough to fix his crappy game plans mid game.
Yeah like last week as well and going for it on 4th down on our own 30 just out thinking themselves. I watched the Bears play the Rams and they were terrible against any intermediate to deep throws. All I could think about was that Chase TD and that hopefully we would see more of those plays. I just don't understand how that wasn't a big part of the game plan. But I think Taylor did just out think himself probably that we could keep it low scoring and play semi conservative football and win a close game. But all we did was play right into the strength of they're defense and probably the type of game they wanted.
Reply/Quote