Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(01-01-2024, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I said if Jake led us to the playoffs and did well; there'd be a market. There's 0 doubt we'll re-sign Jake as we can do so for the league minimum. The big question is what can we get now? 

Crazy scenarios:

Jake and a 2nd to ATL for Pitts

Jake and a 3rd to SEA for KWIII

You think the Falcons and Seahawks see Browning as a QB1?  

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 06:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You think the Falcons and Seahawks see Browning as a QB1?  

It only takes 1 team to fall in love with you. I would consider him an upgrade to what they're currently trotting out there. Hell maybe even a cash strapped team like Denver would give something. If they could find a team to take Russ and pay half his Salary. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I commend Browning for his performance overall. I also think if the defense was better, and the run game wasn't god awful (worst in league), he could have led them to the playoffs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2024, 06:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You think the Falcons and Seahawks see Browning as a QB1?  
No offense to Jake and what he's shown thus far, but I don't. Not when their offenses are built to run the ball and Justin Fields might be had for a third. Not trying to derail the thread with Fields praise, but Fields has a higher ceiling, is only 24, and fits those teams schemes almost to a T. Fields on the Seahawks could be really dangerous especially, they have everything on offense that the Bears currently do not.

I really don't see a team out there that would see Jake as a QB1. He's a serviceable backup that we now know can win us a few games if called upon. Nothing more, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote

I think both are going to be looking for improvement, both have older veteran QBs 30 plus ( not really sure the future of Ridder) and might see bring a younger QB that shined at times vs tough competition that because young should has more upside so yes they might take the chance in bring him in to compete...

I would add possible landing place Vikings, Cardinals,
Reply/Quote
I think something that would really boost Jake's stock is if Callahan gets a HC gig.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He's a backup and there's no shame in that. If someone wants to pay him to be a starter, he'll be a backup again within a year.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

No. Browning is a backup. No team will see anything more than that in him and nobody is trading anything for a backup. But we have a backup we can have a little faith in. One less question mark going into next season.
Reply/Quote
Browning probably doesn't have much trade value since the '24 draft is loaded with QBs. Starved teams will grab their QB1 in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 07:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think both are going to be looking for improvement, both have older veteran QBs 30 plus ( not really sure the future of Ridder) and might see bring a younger QB that shined at times vs tough competition that because young should has more upside so yes they might take the chance in bring him in to compete...

[Image: chris-rock-what.gif]

Browning is not better than Kyler. :lol:

Arizona also gave him a huge contract, and don’t have a manageable dead cap hit on that deal until 2027.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kyler-murray-29036

Reply/Quote
The Bengals always overvalue their own players. I imagine the Bengals would want a 2nd or 3rd for Browning, but I doubt anyone is going to offer something that high. Browning is an ERFA after this season and an RFA after next season, so he'll most likely be our backup for the next two seasons.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It only takes 1 team to fall in love with you. I would consider him an upgrade to what they're currently trotting out there. Hell maybe even a cash strapped team like Denver would give something. If they could find a team to take Russ and pay half his Salary. 

(01-02-2024, 07:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think both are going to be looking for improvement, both have older veteran QBs 30 plus ( not really sure the future of Ridder) and might see bring a younger QB that shined at times vs tough competition that because young should has more upside so yes they might take the chance in bring him in to compete...

I personally believe he is a QB2 all the way. It seemed obvious to me that he cannot make all the throws and his processing time isnt close to elite. His rainbows to Tee were painful even though Tee grabbed them.

The Broncos are an interesting suggestion though. They are strapped with Russ' dead money and I can see Payton being arrogant enough to think he can make an average QB great.

As to Essex....

Atlanta is drafting high enough to acquire a rookie QB. They had a legit shot a Lamar, probably kicking themselves.
Seattle is on the hook for 25M in dead money if the move on from Geno.
No way the Vikings take Browning over Cousins who wants to return.
Why in the world would the Cardinals play Browning over Kyler????

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: chris-rock-what.gif]

Browning is not better than Kyler. LOL

Arizona also gave him a huge contract, and don’t have a manageable dead cap hit on that deal until 2027.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/kyler-murray-29036

Arizona has also supported Murray as their '24 QB1.
Reply/Quote
A lot of people gave Browning no respect prior to his playing, and they are still not going to give him any respect. Imagine Browning with a full pre-season with starting caliber players. He would even be better than he was. I would think someone like Sean Payton would jump at a chance at him and be rid of diva Wilson. He may not be the "best" QB in the league, but he is a winning QB who can hold a locker room's respect. He'll start somewhere soon.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 10:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of people gave Browning no respect prior to his playing, and they are still not going to give him any respect. Imagine Browning with a full pre-season with starting caliber players. He would even be better than he was. I would think someone like Sean Payton would jump at a chance at him and be rid of diva Wilson. He may not be the "best" QB in the league, but he is a winning QB who can hold a locker room's respect. He'll start somewhere soon.

I agree with what you are saying about Browning, which is why I would like to see the Bengals at least put a tender on him. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 06:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I commend Browning for his performance overall. I also think if the defense was better, and the run game wasn't god awful (worst in league), he  could have led them to the playoffs.

I think you're right. I was listening to wlw on the way to work this morning and Rocky Boiman was comparing the Bengals situation to the Browns'. He noted the big difference between the two was that Cleveland was able to better support their backups with a dominant defense and a good run game. Cincinnati has neither. When you look at it like that, aside from the two Pitt games, Browning may have actually been better than originally thought. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2024, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with what you are saying about Browning, which is why I would like to see the Bengals at least put a tender on him. 

I have no doubt they will. They'll sign him, and either keep him as a backup or trade him. They won't just let him walk.
Reply/Quote
The extended audition shows teams where Browning is good and where he needs work. And the needs work areas are to some extent coachable (being more decisive and doing quicker reads).
Reply/Quote