Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake says he's proven he's a starter and top 32 in the world at his position
(01-12-2024, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I highly doubt that the team puts a tender on him.  Right of first refusal tender is worth $2.8M to keep him.  Doesn't sound like much, but the Bengals have 19 roster spots to fill.

Browning is a ERFA, we can sign him for league minimum which is less than $1 MIL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's a piece. To us he's a back-up to and that's all he's gonna be. Bengals don't need a back-up absent concussion or injury; not for any questionable faltering QB. He is clearly worth more than that to another team. However, there is also a transaction cost which is finding another backup (at a price more than Browning) and training them in our system with the risks that they will be worse and the attendant fan displeasure at that result.
So what mix of draft pick(s) would it take? So give his agent permission to seek a trade. His best fit will be a team who will use him and his current contract to shed salary while putting a less than horrible team on the field while tanking. Life will be interesting.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Browning is a ERFA, we can sign him for league minimum which is less than $1 MIL

OK, after a quick read up on what ERFA actually means, yeah that's a no-brainer.  My misunderstanding was that I though that he was a RFA.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe a guy to bridge the gap, but I don’t think he has the arm strength to be someone’s long term starter. Burrow is not known as someone who has a cannon, but the difference between his throws and Jake’s are night and day.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I highly doubt that the team puts a tender on him.  Right of first refusal tender is worth $2.8M to keep him.  Doesn't sound like much, but the Bengals have 19 roster spots to fill.

I think opposite,  they don't have to tender but will pay him more and offer him 2 yr contract to see if they can lock him up longer 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 05:37 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think opposite,  they don't have to tender but will pay him more and offer him 2 yr contract to see if they can lock him up longer 

Well, I wrote that when I was confused about the difference between RFA and ERFA, so none of what I said in that particular post actually applies.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote