Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake says he's proven he's a starter and top 32 in the world at his position
(01-10-2024, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know that Browning would be better than Pickett/Rudolph?

A lot of times guys like Browning have success because they've been in a system forever and the coaches call plays that are limited to take advantage of their strengths. Then, they change systems and flop.

I wouldn't say that Browning has a huge arm or is really accurate. But, he did put up good numbers.

It's kind of like how people thought McCarron should have started over Dalton. And then he just wasn't an NFL starter.

Teams don't want a starting caliber QB. They want a Top 10 caliber starting QB.

He’s definitely better than Pickett. LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 01:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know that Browning would be better than Pickett/Rudolph?

A lot of times guys like Browning have success because they've been in a system forever and the coaches call plays that are limited to take advantage of their strengths. Then, they change systems and flop.

I wouldn't say that Browning has a huge arm or is really accurate. But, he did put up good numbers.

It's kind of like how people thought McCarron should have started over Dalton. And then he just wasn't an NFL starter.

Teams don't want a starting caliber QB. They want a Top 10 caliber starting QB.
Well they can want in one hand, sh!t in the other, and see which one fills up first. 

Do we know he'd be better than Pickett? No
Was he better than Pickett this year? Yes 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Oddly, some posts compare him to the Pittsburgh quarterbacks. For the Dec 23 Pittsburgh game, some of Jake's throws were so bad I wondered if he took money from the Rooney family to **cough** throw the game **cough.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 09:55 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: But he "just happens to be on a team with a top 5 in the world, and doesn't know what that means for the future."

He mentions this in today's postgame:

I think it's good our backup thinks that and he's simultaneously right about probably being a starter elsewhere, but what are we going to do with this guy in a couple years when he's not an ERFA and we need a good backup behind Burrow?

Browning could definitely come in and win a playoff game if needed. I like to think backups are a huge part of winning super bowls because most teams are injured by the time they make it.

I love that he has so much confidence in himself. I think he could be better than some current starters in the league which is awesome to 
have in our backup QB. I love how he checks and reads and learns, love how he can throw off his back foot with different arm angles, Jake
can be really accurate. But he still throws those head scratching interceptions, so until this is out of his game he is a backup, just the way it 
is and I hope we don't have to see him again except when we are up big and Burrow is getting a rest after throwing 4 or 5 TD's.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I love that he has so much confidence in himself. I think he could be better than some current starters in the league which is awesome to 
have in our backup QB. I love how he checks and reads and learns, love how he can throw off his back foot with different arm angles, Jake
can be really accurate. But he still throws those head scratching interceptions, so until this is out of his game he is a backup, just the way it 
is and I hope we don't have to see him again except when we are up big and Burrow is getting a rest after throwing 4 or 5 TD's.

Part of that is probly simply the lack of game time.  as he see those situations more he will potentially learn to avoid those mistakes.

I like Browning as a backup but if we get an offer on the table that can help the team id say take it... and bring back McCarron again to compete with other potential backups in camp
Reply/Quote
It's worth noting that AJ McCarron thought along these same lines, so he left the organization to try to become a starter elsewhere.
He then subsequently fell out of the league a few years later after getting just 1 start across 3 years.
The reality is no one really cares about the starters in the 25-32 range. Those are the guys who are replaced yearly with draft picks and backups that make it seem like they might be something better.

So be careful what you wish for, Jake.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's worth noting that AJ McCarron thought along these same lines, so he left the organization to try to become a starter elsewhere.
He then subsequently fell out of the league a few years later after getting just 1 start across 3 years.
The reality is no one really cares about the starters in the 25-32 range. Those are the guys who are replaced yearly with draft picks and backups that make it seem like they might be something better.

I think 25-32 might even be generous. 
Reply/Quote
Impossible. I was told this guy was a limp armed backup with no shot at being a starter.

Browning must be smoking. He will keep the bench warm for years to come.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's worth noting that AJ McCarron thought along these same lines, so he left the organization to try to become a starter elsewhere.

Didn't AJ get injured during that time, though?

I agree that no one cares about those 25-32 QB's and that they're always replaced, but that doesn't mean Jake isn't one of them. 

Being a guy who is brought in to compete or hold things down until a rookie is ready (ala Dalton since he left) is a promotion over what Browning is now or what he came into this season as.

Good for him if he can even be viewed as one of those 25-32 guys. He would get a raise if that happens.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Difference AJ did not lead nfl in obr last 6 games
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 08:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't AJ get injured during that time, though?

I agree that no one cares about those 25-32 QB's and that they're always replaced, but that doesn't mean Jake isn't one of them. 

Being a guy who is brought in to compete or hold things down until a rookie is ready (ala Dalton since he left) is a promotion over what Browning is now or what he came into this season as.

Good for him if he can even be viewed as one of those 25-32 guys. He would get a raise if that happens.

I looked into it and yes, he did but it was fairly recently. He tore his ACL in 2021 with the Falcons. Between Cincinnati and his ACL tear he was with Oakland, Houston and Buffalo. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:12 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I looked into it and yes, he did but it was fairly recently. He tore his ACL in 2021 with the Falcons. Between Cincinnati and his ACL tear he was with Oakland, Houston and Buffalo. 

Ah. Maybe I was thinking of the 2018 shoulder injury with Buffalo during the preseason that was initially reported as a collarbone fracture, but after a 2nd opinion, he was able to keep playing.

Either way, we shouldn't assume Browning will be just like McCarron if he leaves.

If he's not a Bengal next year, it's likely because someone traded for him. In that case, that team will likely have some belief in him.

Also, for as bad as things went for McCarron after he left, he did sign a 2 year, $10 million dollar deal with Buffalo, which was bigger than what he would've gotten if he'd never tried.

These guys only have so many years.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 05:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Part of that is probly simply the lack of game time.  as he see those situations more he will potentially learn to avoid those mistakes.

I like Browning as a backup but if we get an offer on the table that can help the team id say take it... and bring back McCarron again to compete with other potential backups in camp

Yes, Jake is smart and will learn.

Oh yeah, if we get a good offer from another team I am all for trading Jake for something to help the team.

Same with Tee after we hopefully tag him.

AJM wasn't nearly as good in my eyes as Jake Browning was this year though IMO.

Browning made some throws this year that made me go wow....

I never got that with McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 08:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't AJ get injured during that time, though?

I thought AJ Left to go be a starter in one of the Startup leagues so his kids could see him play...    (i might be confusing him with someone else)

"McCarron stated he chose to play in the XFL rather than take a more lucrative position as an NFL backup in order to give himself more on-camera playing time so his children could watch him play, which prompted XFL co-owner Dwayne Johnson to praise McCarron for his choice"
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I thought AJ Left to go be a starter in one of the Startup leagues so his kids could see him play...    (i might be confusing him with someone else)

He did say he had offers to keep playing and I believe him.

That XFL stint was after his injury, though.
Reply/Quote
Clearly, Browning deserves a chance to see whether or not he could be a top QB. Kurt Warner at one time was let go as GB's fourth-string QB and took up a job working as a grocery cashier, bagging groceries for $5.50/hour, and ended up one of the NFL's top QBs, with an MVP to show for it.

No one knows if Browning has the "it" factor outside of the Bengals system, where he, if things go right for the Bengals, will end up staying on the bench. So, while I know the Bengals need a good backup, I wouldn't begrudge his pushing for a trade and opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. He may fail miserably in another system, but he may end with a lot of regret if he doesn't get the opportunity to find out how far he can go.
Reply/Quote
We have needed a quality back up QB for awhile now. And now that we found him, y'all wanna trade him away. S'wrongwitchoo?! He brings much more value than any 4-7th round pick could offer. What happens when Burrow goes down again? Gonna sign Cam Newton and his funny hats away from his podcast? Scour other teams' PS? No thank you. KEEP JAKE.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 08:15 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: We have needed a quality back up QB for awhile now. And now that we found him, y'all wanna trade him away. S'wrongwitchoo?! He brings much more value than any 4-7th round pick could offer. What happens when Burrow goes down again? Gonna sign Cam Newton and his funny hats away from his podcast? Scour other teams' PS? No thank you. KEEP JAKE.

I getcha, gotta be a lot more than a late round pick for Jake before I am down with trading him.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 08:15 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: We have needed a quality back up QB for awhile now. And now that we found him, y'all wanna trade him away. S'wrongwitchoo?! He brings much more value than any 4-7th round pick could offer. What happens when Burrow goes down again? Gonna sign Cam Newton and his funny hats away from his podcast? Scour other teams' PS? No thank you. KEEP JAKE.

I wouldn't trade him for any less than a 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 07:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't trade him for any less than a 2nd.

I highly doubt that the team puts a tender on him.  Right of first refusal tender is worth $2.8M to keep him.  Doesn't sound like much, but the Bengals have 19 roster spots to fill.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote