Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremy Hill: Any RB Bengals draft is still 'probably going to be my backup'
(04-13-2017, 11:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What do people expect him to say? "Man if we draft a RB in round one, I plan to back him up quietly and cry in my pillow at night"...?

People may not like Hill, but he's a competitor like anyone else. Non-news.

I expect him to put his nose to the grindstone and get busy. There is no need for a comment from a back 2 years removed from his best season. You'd think Jeremy would have his fill of humble pie by now.

I miss when players actually earned the right to run their mouth instead of this blind egotistical non-sense. Now every player announces they will be the best before they are drafted and it's a sign they are competitive instead of delusional.
Reply/Quote
Hill lost his starting role last year and the kid just sucks. His demeanor and personality are like nails on a chalk board.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 02:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You would think costing us a playoff win would have done that...

One would think.....

(04-13-2017, 11:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What do people expect him to say? "Man if we draft a RB in round one, I plan to back him up quietly and cry in my pillow at night"...?

People may not like Hill, but he's a competitor like anyone else. Non-news.

I agree h's saying the right thing here.....now he just needs to go out and back up his words.  Of course, PA's unit does him no favors....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:09 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I expect him to put his nose to the grindstone and get busy. There is no need for a comment from a back 2 years removed from his best season. You'd think Jeremy would have his fill of humble pie by now.

I miss when players actually earned the right to run their mouth instead of this blind egotistical non-sense. Now every player announces they will be the best before they are drafted and it's a sign they are competitive instead of delusional.

You know he was asked about it, so it's not like he's walking around making random bold proclamations. So was he supposed to ignore the question and run to the weight room? I wonder if you had the same take (in bold) when Andrew Whitworth said the same thing after Ogbuehi/Fisher were drafted? Sure, Whit was better than Hill, but Hill has been the lead back for 3 years. I expect him to have that attitude of "you're going to have to take my job". Brady walked into the league cocky, telling Kraft it was the best decision he'd ever made. No one had a problem with that.

(04-13-2017, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: One would think.....

I agree h's saying the right thing here.....now he just needs to go out and back up his words.  Of course, PA's unit does him no favors....

I have no problem with what he's saying, although I still want to draft a back. You're right about the line though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:48 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You know he was asked about it, so it's not like he's walking around making random bold proclamations. So was he supposed to ignore the question and run to the weight room? I wonder if you had the same take (in bold) when Andrew Whitworth said the same thing after Ogbuehi/Fisher were drafted? Sure, Whit was better than Hill, but Hill has been the lead back for 3 years. I expect him to have that attitude of "you're going to have to take my job". Brady walked into the league cocky, telling Kraft it was the best decision he'd ever made. No one had a problem with that.

I have no problem with what he's saying, although I still want to draft a back. You're right about the line though.

Say the same generic thing every athlete says.

"All I'm focused on is working hard and being my best for camp." There's a ton of different ways to say that. His response makes it sound like he actually has had a grip on the RB position for years instead of the reality. He splits carries with Gio and if he played for a more hyper competitive franchise like the Pats he wouldn't have gotten as many chances.

Whit and Brady always have their house in order when it comes to the field so while I wasn't crazy about what Whit said he has been the best at his position imo for years and a staple to our locker room. When I think of Whit I think of him throwing John Henderson and Lamar Houston down for going after his QB when I think of Jeremy I think of an underachiever...and dancing. When Jeremy has earned that status then he gets a pass. That's part of the problem these players have an attitude like they are more than they are. Hill hasn't achieved or done anything in this league and the Bengals gift wrapping him the starting role because of something he did years ago isn't helping.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:10 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Say the same generic thing every athlete says.

"All I'm focused on is working hard and being my best for camp." There's a ton of different ways to say that. His response makes it sound like he actually has had a grip on the RB position for years instead of the reality. He splits carries with Gio and if he played for a more hyper competitive franchise like the Pats he wouldn't have gotten as many chances.

Whit and Brady always have their house in order when it comes to the field so while I wasn't crazy about what Whit said he has been the best at his position imo for years and a staple to our locker room. When I think of Whit I think of him throwing John Henderson and Lamar Houston down for going after his QB when I think of Jeremy I think of an underachiever...and dancing. When Jeremy has earned that status then he gets a pass. That's part of the problem these players have an attitude like they are more than they are. Hill hasn't achieved or done anything in this league and the Bengals gift wrapping him the starting role because of something he did years ago isn't helping.

I respect that answer, but I just don't maintain double standards for players. If it's okay for Whit to say, it's okay for Hill too. Remember, Whit was the leader and a huge influence in the locker room. Maybe Hill just took a page from Whit's book. My problem with Hill is his play on the field, and that alone. I don't care about dancing at all. This isn't baseball. Almost all skill position players celebrate TDs in some manner. It just so happens Hill gets in the end zone more than anyone else on our team. He's far from the only one who opts not to hand the ball to the ref and walk away though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: One would think.....

Sing us a song you're the piano man..... oh wait, he's our O-line coach  Hilarious

(04-13-2017, 11:48 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You know he was asked about it, so it's not like he's walking around making random bold proclamations. So was he supposed to ignore the question and run to the weight room? I wonder if you had the same take (in bold) when Andrew Whitworth said the same thing after Ogbuehi/Fisher were drafted? Sure, Whit was better than Hill, but Hill has been the lead back for 3 years. I expect him to have that attitude of "you're going to have to take my job". Brady walked into the league cocky, telling Kraft it was the best decision he'd ever made. No one had a problem with that.

I very much want a mid round RB. Who knows where Gio is really at ? And to be honest I don't have a lot of faith in Hill. Hope he proves me wrong !
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I respect that answer, but I just don't maintain double standards for players. If it's okay for Whit to say, it's okay for Hill too. Remember, Whit was the leader and a huge influence in the locker room. Maybe Hill just took a page from Whit's book. My problem with Hill is his play on the field, and that alone. I don't care about dancing at all. This isn't baseball. Almost all skill position players celebrate TDs in some manner. It just so happens Hill gets in the end zone more than anyone else on our team. He's far from the only one who opts not to hand the ball to the ref and walk away though.

The comment from Hill bothered me more because he didn't sound like a guy who was working extra hard to make up for the last 2 seasons. He sounded like a vet who has held down his job. Maybe he is working his ass off for all I know but he doesn't share that in front of the microphones

I'm not crazy about any of the dancing. Maybe because they want to dance like they are clubbing (or whatever Antonio Brown does.) instead of doing it in a fun way like Chad and Owens did. The popcorn, the riverdance, the putt celebration  that was all fun imo. I think all of that comes after you succeed on the field though and that's when I started to turn sour on Ocho Cinco as well.

Glad to see we can respect each others opinions though.
Reply/Quote
Hey he sounds delusional just like the head coach this can't be a coincidence can it?
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 02:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You would think costing us a playoff win would have done that...

He had a big hand in loss but have always said can forgive mistakes made out of effort easier than mental mistakes. 

That is why the next two bothered me more, Burfict with the late head shot hit. But it happened in real time so can forget that easier. Plus the steelers were doing same, it was just the juncture of the game that magnified it.

But Jones was a huge mental lapse that there is never an excuse for that being a veteran. 

Not a huge Hill fan the last few years like others have pointed out he is not running behind his pads and trying to finesse too much. 

Yet the O-line is so bad that who knows. Still does not pick up blitzes well and do not believe in paying RB's big money unless they prove to be elite. 

Fresh legs are out there yearly and leave cap room for the harder positions to locate.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Contract time is approaching. That is all.

Don't want players like that. Don't need-em.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:10 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  Hill hasn't achieved or done anything in this league

Since entering the NFL Hill has rushed for more tds than any other player in the league and has rushed for more yards than all but 6 other players.  Among the 20 RBs who have rushed for at least 2000 yards over the last three years Hill's average yards per carry (4.13) ranks 13th.

So you really expect a guy who has rushed for more yards than all but 6 other RBs in the league to say he expects to be replaced by a rookie?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since entering the NFL Hill has rushed for more tds than any other player in the league and has rushed for more yards than all but 6 other players.  Among the 20 RBs who have rushed for at least 2000 yards over the last three years Hill's average yards per carry (4.13) ranks 13th.

So you really expect a guy who has rushed for more yards than all but 6 other RBs in the league to say he expects to be replaced by a rookie?

Welcome to the fredtoast spin zone.

Cut out his rookie year and all of those stats go down the drain except the TDs. No one has denied his success as a rookie. Given he's the only guy we hand the ball to if it's a running play on the goal line and he has been given the starting role the last 2 years the TD stats isn't as impressive. Jeremy is going into year 4 btw.

The bold part is a poor use of logical fallacy. Why does he have to say one or the other? If you read any of my posts in this thread I covered what I thought was the appropriate thing to say.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 12:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: The comment from Hill bothered me more because he didn't sound like a guy who was working extra hard to make up for the last 2 seasons. He sounded like a vet who has held down his job. Maybe he is working his ass off for all I know but he doesn't share that in front of the microphones

I'm not crazy about any of the dancing. Maybe because they want to dance like they are clubbing (or whatever Antonio Brown does.) instead of doing it in a fun way like Chad and Owens did. The popcorn, the riverdance, the putt celebration  that was all fun imo. I think all of that comes after you succeed on the field though and that's when I started to turn sour on Ocho Cinco as well.

Glad to see we can respect each others opinions though.

I don't like club dancing either, but at least Hill isn't twerking or humping like Antonio Brown. Hill's stuff is tame by comparison.

I think Hill said all the right things about working hard and regretting the fumble last year...and people didn't care. They just hate Hill.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace him, but it's due to performance, not hate for dancing or the playoff fumble. I personally liked his fire and personality.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 02:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Welcome to the fredtoast spin zone.

Cut out his rookie year and all of those stats go down the drain except the TDs.

So when I post actual stats I am "spinning",

But when you just completely eliminate all stats that don't support your argument you are "talking straight"?

I don't think you understand the meaning oif "spin".
Reply/Quote
A Key point here involves Planning.

Hill is due a New Contract after the 2017 season.
At only 24 years of age he will likely command Starter running back money even if it isn't high end starter money.

Do the Bengals Plan to pay him in 2018 ?

That will depend on who is available in the next 2 Drafts or Free Agency that can either match or Upgrade what Hill is able to do.

They will have to be Sold on another guy or they resign Hill.
There are probably only a few running backs in this Draft that the Bengals would consider to be replacement options for Hill. They would also have next year's 2018 Draft as an option to replace plus Free Agency or else they pay Hill to stay.

Their Plan is likely not set in stone yet. Depends on which players present themselves as options.
Say Fournette falls to pick #9 they pull the trigger or Mixon in round #2 but only if they present themselves at the right moment/round.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So when I post actual stats I am "spinning",

But when you just completely eliminate all stats that don't support your argument you are "talking straight"?

I don't think you understand the meaning oif "spin".

And now we have moved on from Hill to what spinning means. LOL

Bringing up stats as if they are positives when anybody with knowledge of Hill's career knows that most of what Hill has done that has positively swayed his stats happened within a small frame of his rookie year. It's convenient for you to lump all of his stats together into a pretty package rather than actually breaking down what he has done on a year by year basis because the farther into Hill's career the uglier it gets.

So yeah I think you were manipulating stats to make Hill look better than he is in reality.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 02:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't like club dancing either, but at least Hill isn't twerking or humping like Antonio Brown. Hill's stuff is tame by comparison.

I think Hill said all the right things about working hard and regretting the fumble last year...and people didn't care. They just hate Hill.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace him, but it's due to performance, not hate for dancing or the playoff fumble. I personally liked his fire and personality.

I've forgiven him for the fumble because he improved in that phase of his game last year with 0 fumbles. Fumbles happen when you are playing the game but what shouldn't happen is what occurred with Pacman. Can't forgive that.

Watching Hill during his rookie year was awesome if he can get back to that I'd have no complaints.
Reply/Quote
He's got it figured out. He knows he can average 2 YPC and still not lose the starting role even if another RB behind the same line YPC average is double. No shocker here.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 11:02 PM)Clep Wrote: (via http://thesco.re/theScore_App ) http://www.thescore.com/news/1279180

Glad even the thought is pushing him. This is a good thing, still. He should of been pushing himself for awhile now
and the only similarities between him and Fournette is the team logo and that they are big backs.

Fournette is way faster, with much better burst, doesn't dance around in the backfield and doesn't have an identity
crisis. Fournette knows what kind of a back he is and does it without apology. He would be starting week one if we
draft him, this i believe whole heartedly.
Reply/Quote