Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremy Hill: Any RB Bengals draft is still 'probably going to be my backup'
Something else MJD said on that show when the guy he was hosting with asked the question "Does the Oline make the running back, or does the running back make the oline?" MJD firmly stated in his opinion the RB makes the oline. I found that interesting.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:27 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Super fair points.

Until any of these guys do it on Sundays, it's all just college hype, right?

He can't help who he plays on OK schedule. All he can do is produce against them, which he did.

Hands, speed, explosiveness. But man, the vision and patience he has is really impressive, too.

He could bust like any draft pick. He's got the tools. Like any of them. We'll see.

100% agree PDub....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Something else MJD said on that show when the guy he was hosting with asked the question "Does the Oline make the running back, or does the running back make the oline?" MJD firmly stated in his opinion the RB makes the oline. I found that interesting.

Interesting, but I think it could go either way.  Our line helped make Rudi Johnson look good, no question that Big D's line helped Emmitt Smith look good, and now Elliott.  Then, you have guys that don't come around that often like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton (who played behind bad ones, and a couple good ones), Earl Campbell, etc.  My take is that an exceptionally talented back can make a line look good, but a good line can make a decent back look great.  MJD may be a tad biased.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting, but I think it could go either way.  Our line helped make Rudi Johnson look good, no question that Big D's line helped Emmitt Smith look good, and now Elliott.  Then, you have guys that don't come around that often like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton (who played behind bad ones, and a couple good ones), Earl Campbell, etc.  My take is that an exceptionally talented back can make a line look good, but a good line can make a decent back look great.  MJD may be a tad biased.

Here is my take.

Both the good RBs and the average RBs will struggle to gain decent yardage consistently behind a bad line, but a good RB will still get a few long runs by making someone miss or breaking a tackle.

So a good RB can make the rush yardage numbers look better, but even a good RB will struggle to consistently get 3, 4, or 5 yards per run without a decent O-line.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my take.

Both the good RBs and the average RBs will struggle to gain decent yardage consistently behind a bad line, but a good RB will still get a few long runs by making someone miss or breaking a tackle.

So a good RB can make the rush yardage numbers look better, but even a good RB will struggle to consistently get 3, 4, or 5 yards per run without a decent O-line.

Excellent point.....totally agree.  See Sanders, Barry.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:47 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I think that if Mixon didn't split carries in 2015 & 2016 he would have had a chance to be seen that way, yes.

Instead, he makes a terrible decision in 2014 and is suspended for the 2014 season, leaving the door open for Perine, who in 2014 looked like a Heisman candidate in Mixon's absence as he got to carry the load with a less active platooning partner.

Mixon and Perine did extremely well running for OK the past few seasons. Perine's averages, while still impressive, went down over his 3 year career. Mixon was able to keep the same YPC (2015 6.7 / 2016 6.8), even with a ton more touches in 2016 (113 / 187).

I'm now interested in what kind of talent was on the OK line 2014 through now and if those guys have come out in the draft yet, or if their rushing success was due in large part to scheme/coaching. Their YPC is IMPRESSIVE across the board nomatter who was running!

Perine impressed me for years but last year when i watched Oklahoma, Mixon just stood out as extremely special.

He has the hands of a WR, speed of a WR, vision like Emmett Smith, great balance and burst.

I liked Perine tons before i saw Mixon, it was clear who was the better back and i still really like Perine.
Reply/Quote
I do not see how any Bengal fan can dislike this mentality from a starter on their football team. As much as folks justifiably bash Ced, I would hope if we sign Ryan Clady tomorrow Ced says he's most likely going to be my back up.

What did folks what Jeremy to say? "Anybody they draft is probably going to take my job".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Couple of impressive games, no doubt.....but does he have those numbers in the weekly grind of good competition every game?  I'm not much on the Big 10 either (and not an OSU fan)....top loaded with a couple of good teams, the rest aren't much.  He looks the part, we'll soon see if he is.  That said, showing highlight reels against UL Monroe, Houston, Tulsa, et al...doesn't really prove a case.  Two things are for certain, he's got some speed, and good hands.

And damn good feet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this mean?  I have not changed my position on Hill recently.  What would have given you that impression?

I mon't remember your position on Hill.  But I know some people did not like him when we drafted him.  Are you one of those guys?  Because I remember all of them shut up during the '14 season.
I wasn't scouting the draft at that point so I didn't have an opinion on Hill, but I wasn't as impressed as others in his first year and I really started disliking him with his celebrations/pouting.  Ive always been a huge Giovanni fan because of his on the field tenacity, receiving ability, and his aggressive running style.  Its also because of Gio and Peerman that I think this is the perfect spot for Mixon because they can teach him how to be a professional.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Something else MJD said on that show when the guy he was hosting with asked the question "Does the Oline make the running back, or does the running back make the oline?" MJD firmly stated in his opinion the RB makes the oline. I found that interesting.

I think they make each other. A good back with vision and agility with the speed to hit the hole can be successful behind any line. Mixon I feel is that type of back that can make a line look incredible.

Jeremy Hill needs wide lanes opened for him so he has to have a line. He will never make a line look better than they are.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Hill is in for a surprise. Mixon is the real deal talent wise

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote