Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow contract
With all these crazy contracts it got me wondering (Watson $230 MIL) and I've thought to call into a talk show and ask this question:

Could a contract include a percentage of ownership? For instance, when JB comes due could Mikey give him a percentage of the team and a smaller salary against the cap?

I know PK has often talked about a "percentage of the Cap" contract and many have called in about "money under the table (which has been shut down). But i wonder if it were written into the contract, would it be allowed?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 07:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: With all these crazy contracts it got me wondering (Watson $230 MIL) and I've thought to call into a talk show and ask this question:

Could a contract include a percentage of ownership? For instance, when JB comes due could Mikey give him a percentage of the team and a smaller salary against the cap?

I know PK has often talked about a "percentage of the Cap" contract and many have called in about "money under the table (which has been shut down). But i wonder if it were written into the contract, would it be allowed?

Burrow would never do it.

Maybe for his next contract after he gets (most likely) a record deal after this next contract, but players, especially young players, want money in their pocket now, especially while they're young since a freak injury could end their career.

If he's getting money now, I doubt that would be allowed and I doubt Mike would do it anyways.

Nice thought on a way to lighten the hit against the cap, but, if Burrow even would do it, there's probably rules against it,
Reply/Quote
First round QBs don't get the crazy contracts they used to (remember when the highest paid QB in the league was often a rookie?), but a QB taken number one overall still does pretty well.  Burrow will make over 36 million on his 4 year rookie deal and it is ALL guaranteed.  The fifth year option will be huge 2024. If Burrow makes multiple Pro Bowls before 2024 then he will get the franchise tag number for his fifth year option.  That was 29.7 million for QBs this year and will probably be close to $40 by 2024.  And that also will be 100% guaranteed.  So Burrow could make $76 million on his first contract.

At that point I think a player could sign anywhere he wants without worrying a lot about the money.
Reply/Quote
While I definitely think that it is possible (anything is possible), don't forget that players' loyalty is not always the same as fan loyalty: imagine if the Colts did this for Manning, especially since it looked like he would never leave... and he did.

Ditto Favre, Brady, etc. Even if you don't have a large stake in the franchise, imagine playing for a different team and beating the team you own? Yeah, not likely, IMO lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 09:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While I definitely think that it is possible (anything is possible), don't forget that players' loyalty is not always the same as fan loyalty: imagine if the Colts did this for Manning, especially since it looked like he would never leave... and he did.

Ditto Favre, Brady, etc. Even if you don't have a large stake in the franchise, imagine playing for a different team and beating the team you own? Yeah, not likely, IMO lol

Yeah, It'd definitely have to be a 10-15 year deal, sorta like Mahomes. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Watson's contract with Cleveland includes free massages for life. Doesn't count against the cap, definitely under the table.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First round QBs don't get the crazy contracts they used to (remember when the highest paid QB in the league was often a rookie?), but a QB taken number one overall still does pretty well.  Burrow will make over 36 million on his 4 year rookie deal and it is ALL guaranteed.  The fifth year option will be huge 2024. If Burrow makes multiple Pro Bowls before 2024 then he will get the franchise tag number for his fifth year option.  That was 29.7 million for QBs this year and will probably be close to $40 by 2024.  And that also will be 100% guaranteed.  So Burrow could make $76 million on his first contract.

At that point I think a player could sign anywhere he wants without worrying a lot about the money.

Exactly, after paying taxes, attorneys, bankers and his agent, he ought to have $10.00 left in his account.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly, after paying taxes, attorneys, bankers and his agent, he ought to have $10.00 left in his account.  Hilarious

This isnt New York
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: This isnt New York

It's also not Texas.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:22 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Watson's contract with Cleveland includes free massages for life.  Doesn't count against the cap, definitely under the table.

Actually that would be over the table...  Ninja
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 09:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: While I definitely think that it is possible (anything is possible), don't forget that players' loyalty is not always the same as fan loyalty: imagine if the Colts did this for Manning, especially since it looked like he would never leave... and he did.

Was thinking the same thing. I am sure it is against the rules for a player to have a stake in a team for this very reason.

Nah, we are just going to have to pay the man like half a billion dollars and hope it doesn't cost us as much as Mahomes will cost
the Chiefs. You just watch, the Chiefs are not going to be as good as they were last season maybe ever again and we just beat 
them twice. They are actually in a lot tougher spot than lot's believe and they lost one of their best weapons in Tyreek Hill.

Just hoping we can keep drafting well as this is what the Chiefs will have to do to stay contenders.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was thinking the same thing. I am sure it is against the rules for a player to have a stake in a team for this very reason.

Nah, we are just going to have to pay the man like half a billion dollars and hope it doesn't cost us as much as Mahomes will cost
the Chiefs. You just watch, the Chiefs are not going to be as good as they were last season maybe ever again and we just beat 
them twice. They are actually in a lot tougher spot than lot's believe and they lost one of their best weapons in Tyreek Hill.

Just hoping we can keep drafting well as this is what the Chiefs will have to do to stay contenders.

I hope Joe Burrow has enough sense to know the more money available to his teammates the better the team.  (ie dont squeeze for every dime you can get)
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 02:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I hope Joe Burrow has enough since to know the more money available to his teammates the better the team.  (ie dont squeeze for every dime you can get)

In other words don't be like Jessie Bates lol
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: This isnt New York

Actually, when they play in New York, the pay that tax rate. So you have to figure out where the away games are and figure those tax rates. Has to be an accounting nightmare.
Reply/Quote
In the old days, when players actually had to work during the off season, the then owner of the Cowboys Clint Murchison, just happened to give the fledgling real estate development company owned by Roger Staubach the contract for building the Cowboy's new practice facility. That kick-started a company Staubach sold for over $600 million

That's how you get around the rules

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 04:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually, when they play in New York, the pay that tax rate. So you have to figure out where the away games are and figure those tax rates. Has to be an accounting nightmare.

i think players are taxed based on state of employment.  But id have too look deeper to be 100%
Reply/Quote
Remember the Funding Rule which is unique to the NFL. It requires the team to put in escrow funds equal to the guaranteed value of a contract. The Bengals know they will have a giant nut of an escrow account to setup and likely are starting to build up enough cash now.

The wildcard would be guarantees - remember for the 500 million Mahomes got only roughly 70 million is guaranteed. If the Burrow contract winds up looking like Watson's then that is probably 250 million in cash they will need ready for placement in escrow. If on the other hand they get him to go for less guaranteed it is all easier.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 04:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think players are taxed based on state of employment.  But id have too look deeper to be 100%

Actually, I think there's something called a "jock tax" and players actually have to file taxes for each state they travel to to play a game.

I started as an accounting major and then switched when I decided to do my public "speaking" full time, but I still had enough credits to get an associate's degree and took tax classes.

However, keep in mind that I graduated college over ten years ago and I'm also brain damaged, so don't take my word as Gospel ThumbsUp

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 04:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think players are taxed based on state of employment.  But id have too look deeper to be 100%

Pretty sure Sled is right on this one. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 07:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: With all these crazy contracts it got me wondering (Watson $230 MIL) and I've thought to call into a talk show and ask this question:

I believe it would be legal (although I have no idea how they make that a cap measurement...but it has been reported that Brady was all but a Dolphin this year before the accusations of Brian Flores and his contract supposedly included an ownership stake.  

Amazing how its like "oh well, that didn't work...Hey, Tampa, I'm back!"
Reply/Quote