Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Joe Burrow injury updates
(07-27-2023, 06:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It wasn't the no training camp or lack of preseason that caused the slow start last year. It was the loss of 25 pounds of muscle he suffered after his surgery.

Well either way, slow starts with Burrow beat anything else the AFC North has to offer, thus far.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So did they say strain or just injury?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: We need to go talk to that bastard Murphy. 

Man, I’m starting to really see why you guys are so cynical about the Bengals. Y’all can’t catch a break.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 05:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then they dropped the ball. You don't allow him to practice if there was any hint of a calf issue (which it sounds like there was with the sleeve). Calf injuries are tricky to begin with. 

No, they didn’t.

Achilles tears are degenerative. The degeneration develops gradually over years. There are histilogical changes of the connective tissue pathologists can identify with a microscope. The degenerative changes build until it finally tears. If it didn’t happen today, it probably would have in the near future and holding him out today for some soreness or a strain probably would not make a difference in the outcome. It’s also why patients who tear one Achilles are at increased risk to tear the other one within the next two years.

tl;dr If he did tear his Achilles it is because of a lifetime of use, not one specific QB roll out or sprint. Basic straw that broke the camel’s back scenario.
Reply/Quote
We probably shouldn’t be surprised. Joe Burrow is cursed to miss training camp every year. It’s probably a calf injury that he’ll recover from in time for the first game. That or a cramp.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:09 PM)phil413 Wrote: So did they say strain or just injury?

Buddy of mine, orthopedic surgeon Mark Adickes, is one of the go to guys for sports injuries. He did RG3’s knee surgery. He covers the sports injuries within minutes of them happening. He tweeted just now that it’s likely a grade 2 strain. Out for around 4 weeks. “He will feel the injury for months.” But I don’t think that will stop Burrow from giving it 110%.

Y’all should follow him on Twitter. He’s legit. 

His twitter is @jocktodoc
Reply/Quote
I'm getting mad KD vibes from this.

Any idea when we'll get the news? They got to be on it right now and will leak if it's worse right? Worse thing I need is coach-speak and tight lips. I need to know whether or not to get Sunday Ticket this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:11 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: We probably shouldn’t be surprised. Joe Burrow is cursed to miss training camp every year. It’s probably a calf injury that he’ll recover from in time for the first game. That or a cramp.

I wouldnt think its a cramp.  He was already wearing a sleeve on the calf so it must have already been bothering him before practice.  

I would guess he suffered a mild calf strain yesterday or sometime in the previous days and just simply made it worse today when he started running around.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:06 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: *Looks for Tom Brady's number, finds Matt Ryan's instead.....Gaah*

I mean, it's not happening, but I'd bet that the old man would love to take this Ferrari offense for a spin.
Reply/Quote
Sending positive vibes!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 05:32 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You can walk with a ruptured Achilles. Kobe Bryant walked off the court. I walked all the way to the parking lot to get in the car. Your gait is definitely awkward, but you can walk for a short period of time. 

Do you think the trainers on this staff would rush that if they thought it was a strong possibility?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:37 PM)samhain Wrote: Do you think the trainers on this staff would rush that if they thought it was a strong possibility?

Would rush what? You said that you couldn't walk on a ruptured achilles. I just said that you can. Also, I would argue that Joe didn't walk. He put a little weight on that foot but was hopping and weight bearing on his left. 

I think it is all moot, though. Teammates seem unconcerned, Joe seems to be in good spirits, and the report is a calf strain. If it was a ruptured achilles, it would 100% be known by now. They aren't difficult to diagnose. 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Would rush what? You said that you couldn't walk on a ruptured achilles. I just said that you can. Also, I would argue that Joe didn't walk. He put a little weight on that foot but was hopping and weight bearing on his left. 

I think it is all moot, though. Teammates seem unconcerned, Joe seems to be in good spirits, and the report is a calf strain. If it was a ruptured achilles, it would 100% be known by now. They aren't difficult to diagnose. 

I meant to say risk.  
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Would rush what? You said that you couldn't walk on a ruptured achilles. I just said that you can. Also, I would argue that Joe didn't walk. He put a little weight on that foot but was hopping and weight bearing on his left. 

Would it be known by now? 

Jalen Ramsey got hurt the same day but I haven't heard jack squat.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:47 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Would it be known by now? 

Jalen Ramsey got hurt the same day but I haven't heard jack squat.

Well, fair point. I think the team would absolutely know by now but maybe we as fans would not. The team would have known as soon as they got into the trainers room either by a Thompson test or they could have taken an MRI for confirmation. Also, Joe would know. It's a very distinct feeling and even if you have never read much about them, you almost instantly know what happened. 
Reply/Quote
6 to 8 weeks. First month of season in question.

Per James R.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Well, fair point. I think the team would absolutely know by now but maybe we as fans would not. The team would have known as soon as they got into the trainers room either by a Thompson test or they could have taken an MRI for confirmation. Also, Joe would know. It's a very distinct feeling and even if you have never read much about them, you almost instantly know what happened. 

That's what i'm thinking too, but I don't think there'd be visable pandemonium even in the worse case scenario.

I just need to know now so I know whether I should tune out until next season.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 06:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No, they didn’t.

Achilles tears are degenerative. The degeneration develops gradually over years. There are histilogical changes of the connective tissue pathologists can identify with a microscope. The degenerative changes build until it finally tears. If it didn’t happen today, it probably would have in the near future and holding him out today for some soreness or a strain probably would not make a difference in the outcome. It’s also why patients who tear one Achilles are at increased risk to tear the other one within the next two years.

tl;dr If he did tear his Achilles it is because of a lifetime of use, not one specific QB roll out or sprint. Basic straw that broke the camel’s back scenario.

It’s not an Achilles

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
somebody point me to where we're holding our goat sacrifice tonight.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-avoid-disaster-joe-burrow-expected-to-miss-time-calf-injury
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote