Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon May Hold Out
(04-17-2020, 06:00 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Just don’t see it as a good idea. To many trends of team regretting paying them that much for me to think we won’t feel the same way

It is just a reminder to not forget about Mixon.

I don't find anything wrong with it. Pay the man what he is worth. Really simple really.

(04-18-2020, 01:10 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Nate, I'm not trying to argue with you. However, isn't a holdout (if it happens) or Mixon's agent trying to make MB forget about the last year of a contract essentially trying to make MB do something he apparently may not want to do this year,  forcing his hand??

There won't be a holdout with the new CBA, Mixon will get zero count zero if he holds out.

It is not forcing MB's hand, it is just saying, hey man, what about me?

Mixon only being paid 1.2 mil per year says a lot, he should be paid at least like a middle tier RB.

Or at least better than his teammate who averaged 3.2 YPC last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 01:00 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 You are a numbers guy. I put zero stock in your numbers and statistics. I prefer, like your favorite all-time HC, to see better than I hear. 

And from what I've seen (and what you've seen since you're a self-professed  SEC guy) Clyde Edwards-Helaire will produce just fine on Sundays...

Only problem with trusting what you see is that you have no qualifications to be a scout.  You just saw a guy perform well in college so you assume he will in the NFL as well.

Professional scout who devote their lives to scouting football players can only find a 2nd round RB better than Mixon one in ten times.  You may think you are smarter than them, but you are not.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is just not true.

None of the top four passing teams even made the playoffs last year, and only 3 of the top 10 got into postseason.

Meanwhile all of the top 4 rushing teams made the playoffs along with 7 of the top 10.

Its still a passing league because teams throw it more than they run. The average team probably throws over 60% of the time per game, while teams in the 80's probably averaged 50%.  

The teams that run it more than most other teams still throw it more than probably most teams did in the 80's
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
Seems like the argument is whether he's right to hold out or not but I feel the real argument is whether it's a waste of time or not. There are too many big things working against him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He cannot hold out, it would not help him at all to do so with the new CBA.

Mixon would be paid nothing if he held out under the new CBA. This is all just talk from an agent then the media blowing it
out of proportion as usual.

This is actually incorrect, but it's understandably confusing. Under the new CBA the hold out penalties apply to people holding out on a signed 2nd contract ("Contracts signed as a veteran"). This is Mixon's first (Rookie) contract and therefor is not subject to the NFL's new rules regarding a holdout. 
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2020, 10:36 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Its still a passing league because teams throw it more than they run. 

Okay, you can call the league whatever you want, but the facts are that better running teams are a lot more successful than passing teams.

I don't care what you call the league.  I care about winning.
Reply/Quote
The Titans proved last season that a great running game and a few well thrown passes can take you far. But they also proved that you'd also better be able to throw it when they know you have to.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
You have to be able to do both. Especially come playoff time. That high flying Rams offense that was dropping 50 on teams during the regular season scored 3 measly points in the Super Bowl against that stingy Pats defense led by Gilmore. If the Rams could have ran it effectively with Gurley they would have had a chance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Flat out, I'm tired of holdouts. You signed a contract, live up to it. In what other industries- Can you not live up to what you agreed to?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Flat out, I'm tired of holdouts.  You signed a contract, live up to it.  In what other industries- Can you not live up to what you agreed to?

I'm tired of veteran hold outs.  

In what other industry do you have no ability to negotiate your pay?  What other industry are you not free to move to another company?

He signed a rookie deal that is slotted.  He had no control over it and the deal gave him very little upside.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm tired of veteran hold outs.  

In what other industry do you have no ability to negotiate your pay?  What other industry are you not free to move to another company?

He signed a rookie deal that is slotted.  He had no control over it and the deal gave him very little upside.

Your slotted deal was negotiated for you by your union.  Find another football contact that will pay better.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, you can call the league whatever you want, but the facts are that better running teams are a lot more successful than passing teams.

And you don't win with a Top 5 paid running back. Thanks for playing.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm tired of veteran hold outs.  

If that's how the industry works, and the person accepts that but later finds he doesn't like it, the person is always free to find a different industry.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 02:01 PM)McC Wrote: If that's how the industry works, and the person accepts that but later finds he doesn't like it, the person is always free to find a different industry.

Agree, but there's not an alternative to this one really.  That's part of the reason why I don't fault some of these non 1st rounders.  They don't get the immediate kick on the 5th year option to big money.

They also do allow contracts to be re-done prior to the 4th year.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:59 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Your slotted deal was negotiated for you by your union.  Find another football contact that will pay better.

True - but the deal was also negotiated to give a player the ability to re-do a real prior to year 4.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2020, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only problem with trusting what you see is that you have no qualifications to be a scout.  You just saw a guy perform well in college so you assume he will in the NFL as well.

Professional scout who devote their lives to scouting football players can only find a 2nd round RB better than Mixon one in ten times.  You may think you are smarter than them, but you are not.
WhoDey2 This goes both ways... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, you can call the league whatever you want, but the facts are that better running teams are a lot more successful than passing teams.

Way to to deflect the question. You just said its a running league. Now you change it to a league where teams that run it more than others are more successful.  That's a completely different statement.     

WTF
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 03:43 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Way to to deflect the question. You just said its a running league. Now you change it to a league where teams that run it more than others are more successful.  That's a completely different statement.     

WTF

You have not been following the discussion.  It has never been about what to call the NFL.  It has been about the value of the running game.

It does not matter if they throw the ball more than they run, the running game still is more closely corelated to success.
Reply/Quote
Love JM, but not real happy with the threat of a holdout, especially after the Bengals took a lot of heat for drafting someone in the 2nd round that beat a woman in college. Show some gratitude and loyalty, Joe!
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have not been following the discussion.  It has never been about what to call the NFL.  It has been about the value of the running game.

It does not matter if they throw the ball more than they run, the running game still is more closely corelated to success.

You answered when someone said" its still a passing game. " How else can that statement you responded to be interpreted.  I don't need to follow the discussion to know what the simple statement you responded to was. 
Reply/Quote