Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Mixon is going to be on the team this year
I am calling it now.

From what I've read and the tone of the Bengals (FO and ZT) it's sounding more and more like Mixon is going to be a part of this team.

I also think loyalty comes into play here. With the environment in the market these days (most players seeking guaranteed money and the Bengals not offering that to everyone) I think the Bengals like to show that they keep players around for the life of their contract as a negotiating piece when trying to land free agents and extensions. Basically saying "we offer guaranteed money by keeping guys and not cutting them." Cutting Mixon flies in the face of that.

So, don't be shocked if Mixon is here come September. Not the worst thing in the world, especially since you have a guy like Chase Brown who should significantly cut into his snap counts.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-04-2024, 01:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am calling it now.

From what I've read and the tone of the Bengals (FO and ZT) it's sounding more and more like Mixon is going to be a part of this team.

I also think loyalty comes into play here. With the environment in the market these days (most players seeking guaranteed money and the Bengals not offering that to everyone) I think the Bengals like to show that they keep players around for the life of their contract as a negotiating piece when trying to land free agents and extensions. Basically saying "we offer guaranteed money by keeping guys and not cutting them." Cutting Mixon flies in the face of that.

So, don't be shocked if Mixon is here come September. Not the worst thing in the world, especially since you have a guy like Chase Brown who should significantly cut into his snap counts.

That has long since stopped being a thing in the Taylor/Blackburn era.

Vontaze Burfict
Cordy Glenn
BW Webb
Dre Kirkpatrick
Andy Dalton
BJ Finney
Geno Atkins
Bobby Hart
Giovani Bernard
Trey Hopkins
Trae Waynes

Have all been released while under contract with the Bengals in the Zac Taylor era. So that cat is out of the bag/toothpaste is out of the tube/milk has already been spilled/etc. Averaging over 2 guys under contract (non-minimum guys) released per year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I do think Mixon will be back.

The only way not is if we really need that cap space & he won't renegotiate it again.

Or I guess we could make a run a Henry or Barkley. But spending MORE in RB seems unlikely. Though the idea of Henry vs 2 deep safeties is appealing to me.
I will go the opposite and think we cut Mixon before the deadline and we add a cheaper option at RB in FA and Draft a young talent at RB.
The NFL is a business. That's the way these players treat it getting everything they can in their contracts. If players are doing what they can to benefit themselves, owners need to do what they need to do to better their teams.

You make this post based on what you’ve read. I knew last year ahead of time and was steadfast he’d be back based on my intel. I’ve not heard this year. So what comments have steered you this way?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Whether or not the Bengals keep Mixon will depend entirely on if the Bengals are able to find a really cheap option in the first week of free agency. Mixon has a 3 million dollar roster bonus due on March 17th, and the Bengals will decide between March 11th and March 16th whether to keep him on the roster.

If they don't sign a bell cow back to pair with Chase Brown in that first week of free agency and March 17th passes without a RB signing, I give Mixon a 95% chance of being on the roster in September.

If they don't cut him before that roster bonus, they aren't cutting him at all. They're not going to pay him to not be on the team.

The 5% is if they have a RB that they're targeting in free agency but they haven't quite signed him by March 17th but are confident they can. Then they may cut Mixon before signing anyone else.

But there's no way they cut him and then have just Brown on the roster until the draft.

We'll learn a lot about their plans at RB in that first week of free agency.
(03-04-2024, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will go the opposite and think we cut Mixon before the deadline and we add a cheaper option at RB in FA and Draft a young talent at RB.

BINGO!!  This is the way to go. I've been calling this for awhile now.
He'll be cut before hi roster bonus kicks in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-04-2024, 04:54 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Whether or not the Bengals keep Mixon will depend entirely on if the Bengals are able to find a really cheap option in the first week of free agency. Mixon has a 3 million dollar roster bonus due on March 17th, and the Bengals will decide between March 11th and March 16th whether to keep him on the roster.

If they don't sign a bell cow back to pair with Chase Brown in that first week of free agency and March 17th passes without a RB signing, I give Mixon a 95% chance of being on the roster in September.

If they don't cut him before that roster bonus, they aren't cutting him at all. They're not going to pay him to not be on the team.

The 5% is if they have a RB that they're targeting in free agency but they haven't quite signed him by March 17th but are confident they can. Then they may cut Mixon before signing anyone else.

But there's no way they cut him and then have just Brown on the roster until the draft.

We'll learn a lot about their plans at RB in that first week of free agency.

Agree as usual CJD, we will know for sure during that week leading up to the roster bonus. If he isn't cut by then, he won't be.

I just think it would be smart to get cheaper and younger at the position with RB's that are hard to tackle who can pass protect.

There are tons of RB's in FA this year that could be upgrades for cheaper, nothing against Mixon especially with his ball security and his 
pass catching ability which I wouldn't be against keeping, but it is a business as 007 says.

(03-04-2024, 05:22 PM)pulses Wrote: BINGO!!  This is the way to go. I've been calling this for awhile now.

Wink

(03-04-2024, 05:25 PM)Stewy Wrote: He'll be cut before hi roster bonus kicks in.

ThumbsUp
People acted like he was gone last year, and I think it will be the same this year. People will want him gone but he'll stay on the roster one more year
(03-04-2024, 05:46 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: People acted like he was gone last year, and I think it will be the same this year. People will want him gone but he'll stay on the roster one more year

Agree 100%. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-04-2024, 05:46 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: People acted like he was gone last year, and I think it will be the same this year. People will want him gone but he'll stay on the roster one more year

And he had to take a multi-million dollar paycut in order to not be gone.

The Mixonator will be on the opening day roster.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."

Keeping Mixon flies in the face of Zac wanting guys with good character as well.

He may or may not be back, not sure. We all know I am ready to move on from him, but as long as they draft his replacement this year I will be satisfied.

He is at the end of his rope here anyway, be it a few weeks or one last season. At least if he does stay he should be all in knowing he will have to prove himself before becoming a FA RB with high mileage.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
(03-04-2024, 01:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That has long since stopped being a thing in the Taylor/Blackburn era.

Vontaze Burfict
Cordy Glenn
BW Webb
Dre Kirkpatrick
Andy Dalton
BJ Finney
Geno Atkins
Bobby Hart
Giovani Bernard
Trey Hopkins
Trae Waynes

Have all been released while under contract with the Bengals in the Zac Taylor era. So that cat is out of the bag/toothpaste is out of the tube/milk has already been spilled/etc. Averaging over 2 guys under contract (non-minimum guys) released per year.

Almost all the guys you mentioned were completely washed. Dalton and Gio might be the real only examples.
(03-04-2024, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will go the opposite and think we cut Mixon before the deadline and we add a cheaper option at RB in FA and Draft a young talent at RB.

I'll 2nd that ThumbsUp
(03-04-2024, 08:38 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Almost all the guys you mentioned were completely washed. Dalton and Gio might be the real only examples.

Doesn't matter if they were washed or not. The fact that they were under contract for decent/significant money and were released means the whole Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis era of "we will let you play out your contract, that's your guarantees" hasn't been around for half a decade now.

You can't say "trust us, our word is as good as guaranteed money.... unless you're one of the 11 guys we cut over the last 5 years, and the other guy we told to take a paycut or we'd cut him". Lol. The whole point of guaranteed money is you're protected and guaranteed money even if you're washed or greatly injured.

- - - - - -
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing they cut those guys. We should cut people who aren't helping the amount they're costing if we're a great team that wants to win the SB. Players get the most money they can, teams get the most value they can. I am just saying that the whole our word is our guarantee is a thing of a bygone era now and holds zero value.

(03-04-2024, 10:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Doesn't matter if they were washed or not. The fact that they were under contract for decent/significant money and were released means the whole Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis era of "we will let you play out your contract, that's your guarantees" hasn't been around for half a decade now.

You can't say "trust us, our word is as good as guaranteed money.... unless you're one of the 11 guys we cut over the last 5 years, and the other guy we told to take a paycut or we'd cut him". Lol. The whole point of guaranteed money is you're protected and guaranteed money even if you're washed or greatly injured.

- - - - - -
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing they cut those guys. We should cut people who aren't helping the amount they're costing if we're a great team that wants to win the SB. Players get the most money they can, teams get the most value they can. I am just saying that the whole our word is our guarantee is a thing of a bygone era now and holds zero value.

We'll have the Burrow factor drawing/keeping people here, but yea on paper we're fans of an organization with 0 SB wins in 55 years hoping players will want to come/stay here for a discount without guaranteed money, to boot.  We might be asking quite a lot here, but hope springs eternal.
(03-04-2024, 07:25 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Keeping Mixon flies in the face of Zac wanting guys with good character as well.

He may or may not be back, not sure. We all know I am ready to move on from him, but as long as they draft his replacement this year I will be satisfied.

He is at the end of his rope here anyway, be it a few weeks or one last season. At least if he does stay he should be all in knowing he will have to prove himself before becoming a FA RB with high mileage.  

We need starters at NT, RT, WR3, TE and depth/upgrades at DT, S, and CB worse. Not to mention punter.