Joe Mixon
64.79%
46 64.79%
Total 71 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Mixon or Dalvin Cook?
(04-28-2017, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have 3 daughters and 5 granddaughters so yes I know I would handle things my way (personally) if someone assaulted one of them. But, I also taught my kids to  never provoke anything, never start anything or every lay their hands on anyone first. So, in the spirit of your post, I would pissed at both my daughter for slapping and pushing someone starting the altercation physically and pissed the guy went from 10 to 100 in a few seconds.

But this moral debate can get tiresome as things you or others find intolerable, I may find tolerable and vice versa. I don't see people go off on anyone convicted of a DUI for example. You see, I find that 10 times worse than a guy punching a woman with 1 vicious strike. I will argue this due to the fact I lost one of my best friends who while sitting next to me died at the age of 15 as a result of a 4th time drink driver. Mike died and 4 of us spent weeks and in some cases months recovering from physical injuries. The nightmares and the mental abuse we suffered is a part of our lives forever. None us ever recovered form the trauma cause by a drunk driver.

Both are acts that could kill or harm someone, but one used a 3500 LB. vehicle as the weapon, one used a fist. One the person recovered in time the other 1 dead and 4 scarred for life. Yet, I don'y hear the outcry to ban guys convicted of a DUI and no it does not matter if they killed anyone, they could have. Those who drive drunk and get away with it are as big a criminal as this 18 year old who did something outrageous, yet no outcry because like you said most have never lost a loved one, a great friend to a drunk driver so to those, it is not that big a deal. To me, a drunk driver is the lowest of life and my opinion will never change. I don't have to respect or be a friend to a Bengal's player so I have no skin in their personal lives so it is easy for me to separate the 2 because the hatred I have inside for drink drivers in the end would destroy me if I let it, I won't.

We are all responsible for our actions and I am in know way arguing this act by Mixon is not despicable, but many acts are despicable, yet crickets on those by some.

That's a great point....and even better post. Sorry you had to go through that brother. Peace be with you....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:41 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Imagine if Pacman played for Pittsburgh.  He would be ridiculed as the biggest piece of human trash to ever walk the planet.  Yet every time he gets in trouble there is a chorus line of people ready to stand up for him.

And yes, if there were reports that Pittsburgh was interested in Mixon, it would be "Steelers are thugs and criminals, he'll fit right in".

I stood up for Pac Man for his idiotic behavior as a young man. The difference he has proven over an over again he is a POS and needs to be unemployed. If Mixon continues his stupidity, then he will lose favor quickly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bengals: Just pick Alvin Kamara and let this end
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:41 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Imagine if Pacman played for Pittsburgh.  He would be ridiculed as the biggest piece of human trash to ever walk the planet.  Yet every time he gets in trouble there is a chorus line of people ready to stand up for him.

And yes, if there were reports that Pittsburgh was interested in Mixon, it would be "Steelers are thugs and criminals, he'll fit right in".

The difference is pacman is a 30 something year old man that has never and will never get it. He has been a repeat offender for years. He isn't ever changing, he is who he is. I can't stand him and would have loved if we moved on from him.

However, comparing pacman and Mixon, to me, is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not making excuses for him. I'm aware Mixon made a HUGE mistake, no doubt. But it was one bad incident when he was 17 that he undoubtedly regrets and has since made right, at least as right as he can given the circumstances. If there was a track record then by all means pass on him. But that just simply is not the case with this kid. And save the parking ticket incident argument because I don't care about petty witch hunting.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Besides the obvious.....we got on here and rail about Jerry Porter and his thuggish behavior....we talk about their dirty play, and Pig Pen being a rapist.....but here, on this thread, we have people sticking up for a guy that knocked the cornbread hell out of a petite white chick, and he doesn't even play for our team!

#perspective

I just read several... as in 6 articles from different sources on Dalvin Cook.

He has had misdemeanor batter for punching a woman, a robbery charge, and an animal abuse charge against him? Interviewed horribly. So bad that one team in an interview stated that he was taken off their first round board regardless of talent.

The overwhelming theme in the articles I've been reading is that the kid is a nightmare. Not just a team or a source or two... EVERYONE. Well, except for the people from FSU, but lets be real here.... Those aren't the most upstanding folks in college football.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He was given a citation by university parking attendant. He threw it in their face. Stoops suspended him for the next game and that was it for that incident.

That incident was after his court mandated anger management counseling. Apparently, he wasn't the distinguished honor graduate.
Reply/Quote
Not going back to read through 10 pages. But has anyone considered what the addition to Mixon in the locker room might cause? Would the players let it slide and be cool with him, or would it be a no win situation? We certainly don't need any distractions this season.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It doesnt matter. He was young and a college kid. Slugging a girl in her face & throwing a tirade for a parking ticket is something all kids do at some point. Now that he has matured into an adult thanks to OU's football program, those days are definitely behind him. Because once again, he was just young and dumb like we all were.

LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have 3 daughters and 5 granddaughters so yes I know I would handle things my way (personally) if someone assaulted one of them. But, I also taught my kids to  never provoke anything, never start anything or every lay their hands on anyone first. So, in the spirit of your post, I would pissed at both my daughter for slapping and pushing someone starting the altercation physically and pissed the guy went from 10 to 100 in a few seconds.

But this moral debate can get tiresome as things you or others find intolerable, I may find tolerable and vice versa. I don't see people go off on anyone convicted of a DUI for example. You see, I find that 10 times worse than a guy punching a woman with 1 vicious strike. I will argue this due to the fact I lost one of my best friends who while sitting next to me died at the age of 15 as a result of a 4th time drunk driver. Mike died and 4 of us spent weeks and in some cases months recovering from physical injuries. The nightmares and the mental abuse we suffered is a part of our lives forever. None us ever recovered form the trauma cause by a drunk driver.

Both are acts that could kill or harm someone, but one used a 3500 LB. vehicle as the weapon, one used a fist. One the person recovered in time the other 1 dead and 4 scarred for life. Yet, I don'y hear the outcry to ban guys convicted of a DUI and no it does not matter if they killed anyone, they could have. Those who drive drunk and get away with it are as big a criminal as this 18 year old who did something outrageous, yet no outcry because like you said most have never lost a loved one, a great friend to a drunk driver so to those, it is not that big a deal. To me, a drunk driver is the lowest of life and my opinion will never change. I don't have to respect or be a friend to a Bengal's player so I have no skin in their personal lives so it is easy for me to separate the 2 because the hatred I have inside for drink drivers in the end would destroy me if I let it, I won't.

We are all responsible for our actions and I am in know way arguing this act by Mixon is not despicable, but many acts are despicable, yet crickets on those by some.

Great point and sorry to hear about that. In 2008 I was hit by a 6x drunk driver who had no license but somehow had insurance. We were passing through the intersection near Walmart in Hamilton Ohio. He went straight through a red light and plowed into my friend's vehicle at 50 mph, causing my friends car to spin out several times and land in a ditch. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and I wound up flying around inside the car and wound up in the back passenger seat with my leg over the driver's shoulder.

Fortunately, I only got a concussion and a bad back/neck out of it, while my friend wound up having shoulder surgery because my head basically broke his shoulder.

Long story short, I'm sorry to hear you lost your friend, and I agree that DUI arrests aren't taken seriously enough by fans. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:57 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The difference is pacman is a 30 something year old man that has never and will never get it. He has been a repeat offender for years. He isn't ever changing, he is who he is. I can't stand him and would have loved if we moved on from him.

However, comparing pacman and Mixon, to me, is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not making excuses for him. I'm aware Mixon made a HUGE mistake, no doubt. But it was one bad incident when he was 17 that he undoubtedly regrets and has since made right, at least as right as he can given the circumstances. If there was a track record then by all means pass on him. But that just simply is not the case with this kid. And save the parking ticket incident argument because I don't care about petty witch hunting.

What about the situation do you know he regrets?  Does he regret it because he greatly injured another human being?  Does he regret using homophobic language towards another human being?  Does he regret the embarrassment caused to him, his family, the university?  Or does he regret the fact that it hurt his draft stock, that it cost him money?  Because yes, I am sure he has regrets, but not all regrets are equal.

When I was in college, I did an internship at the Ohio State House.  There was a committee hearing that I sat in on to discuss a proposed bill for funding of shelters for abused women and children.  One of the witnesses was a trained psychologist who ran a center somewhere around Cleveland.  One of the state reps from Dayton brought up the "stress" that a man would feel if the woman were to leave with his children and he did not know where they were and what if the abuse really wasn't abuse, but somehow retaliation for things she had done to him.  I will never forget her response.  She said that when you are discussing things like the abuse of women and children, most people will be horrified by it.  They will have a visceral reaction, wanting some sort of punishment for the abuser.  Then there are those who try to find ways to justify the actions, to make it seem like they are not as bad as you might imagine.  According to her professional opinion, those are the abusers in the room.  The guys who maybe have slapped their wife a time or two.  That has always stuck with me.

I'm not saying that anyone here is an abuser, or has ever hit a woman.  I do find it repulsive though that there are so many who come to his defense.  Especially when this is a person we don't even personally know.  We don't know that he is a "good guy", except for this incident.  For all we know he regularly beats his girlfriend, his mother.  We know that he doesn't have a problem picking on women, picking on those who are smaller and less physically intimidating that he is.  And there are those who quickly come to his defense simply because he can run a football. 

I hear O.J. is up for parole soon.  Perhaps they can find a spot on the coaching staff for him?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He was given a citation by university parking attendant. He threw it in their face. Stoops suspended him for the next game and that was it for that incident.

He wouldn't be the first person to rip up a university parking ticket.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:13 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: What about the situation do you know he regrets?  Does he regret it because he greatly injured another human being?  Does he regret using homophobic language towards another human being?  Does he regret the embarrassment caused to him, his family, the university?  Or does he regret the fact that it hurt his draft stock, that it cost him money?  Because yes, I am sure he has regrets, but not all regrets are equal.

When I was in college, I did an internship at the Ohio State House.  There was a committee hearing that I sat in on to discuss a proposed bill for funding of shelters for abused women and children.  One of the witnesses was a trained psychologist who ran a center somewhere around Cleveland.  One of the state reps from Dayton brought up the "stress" that a man would feel if the woman were to leave with his children and he did not know where they were and what if the abuse really wasn't abuse, but somehow retaliation for things she had done to him.  I will never forget her response.  She said that when you are discussing things like the abuse of women and children, most people will be horrified by it.  They will have a visceral reaction, wanting some sort of punishment for the abuser.  Then there are those who try to find ways to justify the actions, to make it seem like they are not as bad as you might imagine.  According to her professional opinion, those are the abusers in the room.  The guys who maybe have slapped their wife a time or two.  That has always stuck with me.

I'm not saying that anyone here is an abuser, or has ever hit a woman.  I do find it repulsive though that there are so many who come to his defense.  Especially when this is a person we don't even personally know.  We don't know that he is a "good guy", except for this incident.  For all we know he regularly beats his girlfriend, his mother.  We know that he doesn't have a problem picking on women, picking on those who are smaller and less physically intimidating that he is.  And there are those who quickly come to his defense simply because he can run a football. 

I hear O.J. is up for parole soon.  Perhaps they can find a spot on the coaching staff for him?
First of all, I haven't justified anything. I think what happened is disgusting. No excuse for that ever. It is NOT OK what he did.

But Isn't it speculation on both sides? Speculation that he is definitively a terrible person to the core for a single mistake. Speculation that he is remorseful for the wrong reasons. Speculation that he isn't remorseful at all. All speculation. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows?

One thing I know for sure is that People get "moral high road" confused because Not being able to forgive is, in fact, morally wrong.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So it's possible one or both is available to us with the 41st pick.

If both were available, which one would you take?

Mixon.  I do think it matters that he was 17, it was 3 or 4 years ago, and it hasn't happened again.  He also settled the suit, and he and the young woman apologized to each other.  I think he deserves another chance.  I hate the thought of somebody making a mistake as a teen that ends all their career options, ever.  Now if he does it again, it's over.  But I believe he should get another chance.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:28 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Mixon.  I do think it matters that he was 17, it was 3 or 4 years ago, and it hasn't happened again.  He also settled the suit, and he and the young woman apologized to each other.  I think he deserves another chance.  I hate the thought of somebody making a mistake as a teen that ends all their career options, ever.  Now if he does it again, it's over.  But I believe he should get another chance.

This is a good way to think about it Bonnie. I think these guys are overthinking it big time.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: First of all, I haven't justified anything. I think what happened is disgusting. No excuse for that ever. It is NOT OK what he did.

But Isn't it speculation on both sides? Speculation that he is definitively a terrible person to the core for a single mistake. Speculation that he is remorseful for the wrong reasons. Speculation that he isn't remorseful at all. All speculation. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows?

One thing I know for sure is that People get "moral high road" confused because Not being able to forgive is, in fact, morally wrong.

Well said brother. I am thinking about joining da brewskie club early today...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said brother. I am thinking about joining da brewskie club early today...

I have a secret for you....., I got off work early and have already strolled into da club. Shhhhhh......

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is a good way to think about it Bonnie. I think these guys are overthinking it big time.

We're probably gonna' catch hell for it, but I agree with you and Bonnie now that I think about it.  Wish I hadn't voted.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:28 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: First of all, I haven't justified anything. I think what happened is disgusting. No excuse for that ever. It is NOT OK what he did.

I wasn't saying you, and I apologize that it came across that way.  There are many in this thread who have gone out of their way to justify his actions.  Different people have different morals.  Some things are easily forgiven, and some are never to be.  And like it or not, some "mistakes" do follow you for life.  You simply don't get to move past them.  You can work to be a better person (I have not ready anything about this guy giving speeches to kids about avoiding violence), but they stick with you.

Listen, it's not up to me to forgive this guy.  I'm just saying that I don't want to be associated with an organization who welcomes him into their "family".
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:33 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I have a secret for you....., I got off work early and have already strolled into da club. Shhhhhh......

I wub da brewskie club
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:38 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I wasn't saying you, and I apologize that it came across that way.  There are many in this thread who have gone out of their way to justify his actions.  Different people have different morals.  Some things are easily forgiven, and some are never to be.  And like it or not, some "mistakes" do follow you for life.  You simply don't get to move past them.  You can work to be a better person (I have not ready anything about this guy giving speeches to kids about avoiding violence), but they stick with you.

Listen, it's not up to me to forgive this guy.  I'm just saying that I don't want to be associated with an organization who welcomes him into their "family".

That's fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion as much as I am mine. I just want to make sure it is clear that I'm not saying I'm ok with his action. However I am ok with him being allowed to move on, whether it be here or somewhere else. I just so happen to want it to be here.

Reply/Quote