Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe burrow
(07-25-2022, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right here.

The only way I can interpret that comment is that you are saying Burrow should not speak his opinions.  If that is not telling him to "shut up" then what exactly does it mean?

I notice that a lot of people here like to make semantic arguments when they can't really attack the logic of my comments.

"I never told him to 'shut up'.  That is a bald faced lie!!!  I just told him not to talk. Derp."

you WANT it to say that very badly. thats the thing.

if i tell my son he needs to avoid talking about how hot his ex was in front of his wife, i'm just giving my personal opinion of what i think would be in his best interest. but he's free to do it as much as he wants. if i wanted to tell my son to "shut up" about it i would just say that. that would be telling him what to do instead of what i think he should do. 
(07-25-2022, 03:29 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: you WANT it to say that very badly. thats the thing.

if i tell my son he needs to avoid talking about how hot his ex was in front of his wife, i'm just giving my personal opinion of what i think would be in his best interest. but he's free to do it as much as he wants. if i wanted to tell his to "shut up" about it i would just say that. that would be telling him what to do instead of what i think he should do. 

Does everyone see what I mean now?  Can't address the actual issue so instead try to make it an argument about semantics.

You said Joe Burrow can't talk about politics if he wants to be as great as a QB as possible.  That is the issue we are discussing.  The only reason you are trying to split hairs over semantics is because you see how silly it looks to tell Joe he can't state his opinion and then cry about how everyone should be so accepting and respectful of everyone's opinions.

"Don't be mean to me for saying that Joe can't state his opinion.  That is just my opinion and EVERYONE should be allowed to state their opinion.  Derp."
(07-25-2022, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Does everyone see what I mean now?  Can't address the actual issue so instead try to make it an argument about semantics.

You said Joe Burrow can't talk about politics if he wants to be as great as a QB as possible.  That is the issue we are discussing.  The only reason you are trying to split hairs over semantics is because you see how silly it looks to tell Joe he can't state his opinion and then cry about how everyone should be so accepting and respectful of everyone's opinions.

"Don't be mean to me for saying that Joe can't state his opinion.  That is just my opinion and EVERYONE should be allowed to state their opinion.  Derp."

yes. like i said, i think joe can be tom brady level, but i think he would be wise to look at bradys thoughts on it. brady said it was a mistake and he doesnt do it anymore. in my opinion, its grief that joe doesnt need. but if he wants to do it, then thats his choice. i just think the fewer distractions and uneeded stuff the better when your capable of being a great one.
"Athletes shouldn't voice their political opinions!"

Says the janitor with the bumper stickers.

Says the farmer with the thin blue line flag on his porch.

Says the car salesman with the Biden/Harris sign in his yard.

Says the bank clerk with twelve MAGA hats in her closet rotation.

Says the restaurant manager who refuses to accept his own gay child.

Says the media personality who spews misinformation like a loose firehose.

Says the message board forum frequenter who argued throughout Thanksgiving dinner about the great election hoax.

If *everyone* isn't prepared to "shut up and dribble" within their respective domains, then they better be prepared to give athletes the space to say whatever they want to say. Because they're no less qualified to speak than anyone else.