Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe mixon
(01-18-2017, 01:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The point is if he had instability he should be getting surgery at this point IOT be ready for training camp. The purpose of the surgery is to fix the problem if there is one. The surgeon himself can't tell Fournette if the surgery will be a failure and result in chronic ankle problems because doctors don't have the ability to tell the future. 

As you mentioned, if he gets surgery now he gets red flagged and can't work out at the combine. I think they are trying to let his name value carry him and cover up the issues.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: As you mentioned, if he gets surgery now he gets red flagged and can't work out at the combine. I think they are trying to let his name value carry him and cover up the issues.

If he has chronic instability it will limit his combine participation and/or adversely affect his results. I checked two pages of search results and almost every report of a chronic ankle injury stems from a single source, SEC Country dated 11/18/16. If he has ankle surgery then, he has enough time to rehab to participate in a Pro Day and teams can assess his progress after surgery. Plus, this gives him the best chance of being ready Week 1 and being a Top 10 pick like Gurley who was recovering from a much worse injury. 

The chance Fournette can sneak ankle instability past team doctors is 4% or less (96% sensitivity as I mentioned before.) so if he delays surgery, it's doubtful he can participate in combine or a Pro Day. There will be less time for teams to track his recovery, and the longer he waits the chance he won't be ready Week 1 increases. The second scenario makes him more of a draft risk than getting surgery at earliest opportunity. 

I guarantee Fournette's injury is already red flagged so there is no way they can just cover this up and get by on name alone. His name makes this more of an issue than a less well known prospect. And I mentioned red flagged for recheck because every year there is a group of players that have a follow up physical closer to the draft to check their progress. If Fournette doesn't have instability then there is no reason to bring him back for a second physical. 

Also, if a player has chronic ankle instability it means they probably need surgery. It doesn't mean they will have problems throughout their career. Let's take Jake Butt's ACL tear. ACL tears result in instability of the knee. Most people's attitude regarding an ACL tear is the player gets surgery, completes rehab, problem solved. Has Jpoore mentioned Butt's chronic problem?  I don't believe so because he is just parroting an unconfirmed report he doesn't understand to begin with. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 01:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If he has chronic instability it will limit his combine participation and/or adversely affect his results. I checked two pages of search results and almost every report of a chronic ankle injury stems from a single source, SEC Country dated 11/18/16. If he has ankle surgery then, he has enough time to rehab to participate in a Pro Day and teams can assess his progress after surgery. Plus, this gives him the best chance of being ready Week 1 and being a Top 10 pick like Gurley who was recovering from a much worse injury. 

The chance Fournette can sneak ankle instability past team doctors is 4% or less (96% sensitivity as I mentioned before.) so if he delays surgery, it's doubtful he can participate in combine or a Pro Day. There will be less time for teams to track his recovery, and the longer he waits the chance he won't be ready Week 1 increases. The second scenario makes him more of a draft risk than getting surgery at earliest opportunity. 

I guarantee Fournette's injury is already red flagged so there is no way they can just cover this up and get by on name alone. His name makes this more of an issue than a less well known prospect. And I mentioned red flagged for recheck because every year there is a group of players that have a follow up physical closer to the draft to check their progress. If Fournette doesn't have instability then there is no reason to bring him back for a second physical. 

Also, if a player has chronic ankle instability it means they probably need surgery. It doesn't mean they will have problems throughout their career. Let's take Jake Butt's ACL tear. ACL tears result in instability of the knee. Most people's attitude regarding an ACL tear is the player gets surgery, completes rehab, problem solved. Has Jpoore mentioned Butt's chronic problem?  I don't believe so because he is just parroting an unconfirmed report he doesn't understand to begin with. 

Thanks, It's nice to get a medical perspective. When things like medical issues come up most fans have to take the word of reports we see as most aren't qualified to explain or even understand whats going on. Interestingly enough the same thing could be said about play on the field, cap and scouting too.

The reality is fans really aren't qualified to do much in the sport hence why we are fans haha. TO be fair though, that wouldn't make a forum all that fun of a place to hang out.
Reply/Quote
Under no circumstance would I ever draft this chump. The people defending him because she slapped him first should be ashamed of themselves.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2017, 07:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: Under no circumstance would I ever draft this chump.  The people defending him because she slapped him first should be ashamed of themselves.

No they shouldn't, he did the time. At what point do you forgive and forget? Because I promise, most everyone has a skeleton in their closet somewhere.

I would want to interview him beforehand, but I'd have no problems if the Bengals spent a 2nd or (preferably) a 3rd round pick on Mixon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon..... No
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 12:51 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: Joe Mixon..... No

he cost himself millions of dollars hes an extremely elite rb prospect that will be there in 4th. He has better hands than most of our recieverz. If we feel he made his  mistake and is reformed then take a chance. Worked out well for the Chiefs and that was worse. We would get a cornerstone piece a first rounder in the 4th ala Billings, Atkins, etc. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 06:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think that was around the time Pacman smacked that chick too. Musta been a full moon. Ninja  It's never ok to hit a woman.  In college....I took a rolling pin to the neck....and a Jack Daniels bottle to the head.  Neither time did I strike back.  I simply removed myself from the situation.  I was living with the rolling pin psycho.  I moved that night.  Pass.

This
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 02:31 AM)Jpoore Wrote: he cost himself millions of dollars hes an extremely elite rb prospect that will be there in 4th. He has better hands than most of our recieverz. If we feel he made his  mistake and is reformed then take a chance. Worked out well for the Chiefs and that was worse. We would get a cornerstone piece a first rounder in the 4th ala Billings, Atkins, etc. 

Thats just it though, he is a freakin idiot who did something he knew would cost him and his team. This guy will do it again. Im all for second chances but not in this guys case. You have a chance to be a first round pick and make millions all you have to do is NOT PUNCH A GIRL. This was a spontaneous reaction by him and thats what he does, in public? how much of an asshole do you think this guy is in private, oh and throw in tons of cash. What can go wrong.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 03:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Thats just it though, he is a freakin idiot who did something he knew would cost him and his team. This guy will do it again. Im all for second chances but not in this guys case. You have a chance to be a first round pick and make millions all you have to do is NOT PUNCH A GIRL. This was a spontaneous reaction by him and thats what he does, in public? how much of an asshole do you think this guy is in private, oh and throw in tons of cash. What can go wrong.
I'm not saying spend a 1st or second on him but what are we risking. A comp pick? For that it's worth it. And he was a young kid at the time. There are mistakes everyone makes as a young kid/adult. Some are worse than others sure. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 03:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Thats just it though, he is a freakin idiot who did something he knew would cost him and his team. This guy will do it again. Im all for second chances but not in this guys case. You have a chance to be a first round pick and make millions all you have to do is NOT PUNCH A GIRL. This was a spontaneous reaction by him and thats what he does, in public? how much of an asshole do you think this guy is in private, oh and throw in tons of cash. What can go wrong.

You cannot claim that because there is no proof. There are plenty of people who do something stupid/drastic who actually do regret it, learn from it, and never do something like that again.

In terms of pure talent, Mixon is right there after Cook and Fournette, and depending on the style of RB your team needs, could be a better fit than McCaffrey. However, Mixon did something incredibly stupid and serious, so he should fall to the third round at least. Some teams will have him off their board entirely, but a team that is desperate to get over a plateau could view Mixon as the missing piece to go to the next level.

I personally believe that someone can redeem themselves from a stupid mistake when they are young. I personally had it happen where a friend of mine did something against me, but I gave him a chance and believed he regretted his decision, and he's turned the corner (at least for the past seven years). People can change if they want to.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The issue here is as an organization you can't cut Pacman (we will see if they do) and turn around and sign Mixon. They aren't related, but there is a public perception issue that is at odds with the two moves.
Reply/Quote
We will just leave this here....

http://deadspin.com/woman-punched-by-joe-mixon-says-argument-was-incited-by-1792201184?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Reply/Quote
would the patriots draft him?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:54 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: would the patriots draft him?

Do they need him?  I don't condone what he did and at that age, or any age really I wasn't hitting women.  But he will get a chance, and he should.  I would spend one of our 4 th comp picks on him but he may be gone by then.  And check the link below.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/clg/player
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: We will just leave this here....

http://deadspin.com/woman-punched-by-joe-mixon-says-argument-was-incited-by-1792201184?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
So Mixon got mad after she shut him and his friends down.  He followed her into the establishment after she turned him/them down, got into an argument, and slugged her.  This guy is a giant douchebag.  Let him be a cancer in someone else's locker room.  On an organization with an image problem, he ain't worth the trouble.  
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
"I wouldn't have remembered if I did, but I know in my heart that I would not have done that, no matter how angry I was," quote from her. If u can't remember what u did then how do u know u didn't do it??
Idc what a player does as long as he doesn't get in trouble off the field. Draft him in the 4th please. He's the best rb in the draft or at the very least in the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:54 PM)seahawkscheat Wrote: would the patriots draft him?

The Patriots drafted Aaron Hernandez after he shot someone in college.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 03:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Patriots drafted Aaron Hernandez after he shot someone in college.  

I"m sure if there was video they would have thought twice.....
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 01:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: I"m sure if there was video they would have thought twice.....

Can't decide if this is sarcasm or not.. stupid internet. 

I'm cool with using a compensatory pick on him like someone earlier was talking about. I'm all for second chances for anyone, but I completely understand why a lot of teams don't want to take chances of guys who have done some really stupid stuff. 

This is the NFL, though. You're trying to build a championship winning team. With players like Vontaze and Pacman we will never have a clean image. I don't think our organization cares about how they are perceived. If you have talent you will be given a chance by us. 
Reply/Quote