Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe's Doc "all systems go"
(05-18-2021, 05:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I knew he likely wouldn't be ready until week 1 but titles like this give me a split-second of false hope because I instantly think "that means he'll be practicing at full capacity soon!"

This is still good news, but the no contact thing is kind of a non-issue because he's a quarterback, so he wouldn't be getting hit in practice or (hopefully) preseason games.

I do kind of worry about him being hesitant with people around his legs, like I stated in my "Carson Syndrome" thread, but I'm sure he'll brush that off quickly.  

He was having such a good season and he'll be in practice against our defensive backs and linebackers, so I see this as nothing major.
I may be in the minority but I do not relate Burrow and Carson at all. I personally feel they are polar opposites in personality and style of play. Burrow has never shown an ounce of laid back contributor mentality and has always been an in your face go getter. You can even look back at his high school career. He plays the game very physically and has always played that way taking hits with no problem. Much of his mentality could be from being raised by a coach. I don't think he will be hesitant and I think he looks forward to getting back to hitting. Just my opinion but that is the style he has projected to me through his career playing here in Ohio.
Reply/Quote
Glad he is progressing but we all know the real test will be in live action preseason.. if he does not play any preseason snaps then he could be out for game 1
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 10:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I may be in the minority but I do not relate Burrow and Carson at all. I personally feel they are polar opposites in personality and style of play. Burrow has never shown an ounce of laid back contributor mentality and has always been an in your face go getter. You can even look back at his high school career. He plays the game very physically and has always played that way taking hits with no problem. Much of his mentality could be from being raised by a coach. I don't think he will be hesitant and I think he looks forward to getting back to hitting. Just my opinion but that is the style he has projected to me through his career playing here in Ohio.

Ah, the revisionist history that Palmer had a "laid back contributor mentality" and was somehow not a go-getter or didn't play the game very physically.  Classic butt-hurtedness on display right here.

I honestly wonder if some of you ever watched Palmer play.  Because the alternative is that he hurt your feeling so much that it's distorted reality for you.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 10:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I may be in the minority but I do not relate Burrow and Carson at all. I personally feel they are polar opposites in personality and style of play. Burrow has never shown an ounce of laid back contributor mentality and has always been an in your face go getter. You can even look back at his high school career. He plays the game very physically and has always played that way taking hits with no problem. Much of his mentality could be from being raised by a coach. I don't think he will be hesitant and I think he looks forward to getting back to hitting. Just my opinion but that is the style he has projected to me through his career playing here in Ohio.

Your opinion is that a guy who was a starting QB in the NFL for 14 years and came back from two ACL injuries and had great seasons where he didn't miss a game is "the polar opposite of Burrow?"  I don't quite see that, nor can I grasp why people want Burrow to be so unlike Carson Palmer.

I'm all in on Burrow, but if the guy doesn't run out on the field in week one and gleefully get his knees taken out from under him I'm not going to declare him a loser wimp.

(05-22-2021, 11:21 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ah, the revisionist history that Palmer had a "laid back contributor mentality" and was somehow not a go-getter or didn't play the game very physically.  Classic butt-hurtedness on display right here.

I honestly wonder if some of you ever watched Palmer play.  Because the alternative is that he hurt your feeling so much that it's distorted reality for you.

Palmer is a laid back loser like everybody from CA from Tom Brady to Aaron Rodgers...they just love to sit on their asses and lose.   Thankfully, Burrow is a hard working fearless winner from OH just like Brady Quinn.
Reply/Quote

I still remember that tire drill at OSU. Mellow

Joe Burrow is no Carson Palmer. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Your opinion is that a guy who was a starting QB in the NFL for 14 years and came back from two ACL injuries and had great seasons where he didn't miss a game is "the polar opposite of Burrow?"  I don't quite see that, nor can I grasp why people want Burrow to be so unlike Carson Palmer.

I'm all in on Burrow, but if the guy doesn't run out on the field in week one and gleefully get his knees taken out from under him I'm not going to declare him a loser wimp.

Palmer is a laid back loser like everybody from CA from Tom Brady to Aaron Rodgers...they just love to sit on their asses and lose.   Thankfully, Burrow is a hard working fearless winner from OH just like Brady Quinn.

The sarcasm that comes from you sometimes is a little offsetting Nately lol

Nothing against Carson but Burrow is a different sort, sorry if you cannot see it.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still remember that tire drill at OSU. Mellow

Joe Burrow is no Carson Palmer. Mellow

Unfortunately for Carson Palmer, people weren't taping random drills in the offseason in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Who knows what might have happened during those practices.  The land of pre-smartphones and social media is a mystery to those who weren't there to actually experience those events.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:56 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Unfortunately for Carson Palmer, people weren't taping random drills in the offseason in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Who knows what might have happened during those practices.  The land of pre-smartphones and social media is a mystery to those who weren't there to actually experience those events.

That is true, I just cannot see Carson Palmer tearing a tire away from a Defensive End's hands the way Joe Burrow did.

Never seen a QB do something like that. Tebow maybe? Since the Tebow mania is back lol
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nothing against Carson but Burrow is a different sort, sorry if you cannot see it.

Well, elighten us with the differences you see yourself.  Be specific.  Cuz I haven't seen anything to indicate that Joe Burrow is somehow tougher than Carson Palmer.

And that's not a bad thing.  Carson Palmer was tough as shit.  Look at his injury history and his play throughout his 14 years in the league.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, has the injury history that Carson Palmer had and throws for 4,800 yards at 35 TD's at the age of 36 without being a tough player.

He had an ACL/MCL tear with other damage around his kneecap.  He had a ligament tear in his elbow.  He had a broken nose.  He had a fractured thumb.  He had nerve damage in his shoulder.  And he had, God knows how many concussions playing in an era that farting near a QB didn't result in a roughing the passer penalty.  He also played against the 2000's Ravens and Steelers well over 30 times.

What exactly have we seen in Joe Burrow that somehow makes him tougher, or not as "laid back"?
Reply/Quote
I'd also like to point out that when Palmer knee injury happened he had already signed his huge extension.  He was paid, and he had no monetary incentive to rush his return.

But guess what?  The guy battled back and was ready for week 1.  This happening when the medical field and rehab process was 20 years ago.  His rehab process was so noteworthy that Sports Illustrated did a cover story on it.

He deserves credit for that.  You can't just gloss over these facts and pretend like he's some prima-donna, laid back LA douchebag.  The guy worked his ass off when a lot of other players probably would have played it safe and taken longer to return.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, elighten us with the differences you see yourself.  Be specific.  Cuz I haven't seen anything to indicate that Joe Burrow is somehow tougher than Carson Palmer.

And that's not a bad thing.  Carson Palmer was tough as shit.  Look at his injury history and his play throughout his 14 years in the league.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, has the injury history that Carson Palmer had and throws for 4,800 yards at 35 TD's at the age of 36 without being a tough player.

He had an ACL/MCL tear with other damage around his kneecap.  He had a ligament tear in his elbow.  He had a broken nose.  He had a fractured thumb.  He had nerve damage in his shoulder.  And he had, God knows how many concussions playing in an era that farting near a QB didn't result in a roughing the passer penalty.  He also played against the 2000's Ravens and Steelers well over 30 times.

What exactly have we seen in Joe Burrow that somehow makes him tougher, or not as "laid back"?

I agree with you that Carson was tougher than a lot give him credit for. The knee injury was so F'd up his own doctor thought his career could be over and he had to get a donor tendon to repair some of the damage. He had the knee repaired in January and was back for game 1 and had a pretty damn good year, even though he took a beating in the first few weeks back. 

I've never doubted his toughness, but I did doubt his leadership skills at times. He wasn't a very vocal guy and didn't really have a commanding presence about him, IMO. Very talented, great arm...just not a natural born leader. 

I think that's where the difference comes into play with Joe. The guy exudes confidence, has swagger that everyone takes notice of and isn't afraid to take charge on the field. He just looks and sounds like a natural leader when he talks and plays. 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The sarcasm that comes from you sometimes is a little offsetting Nately lol

Nothing against Carson but Burrow is a different sort, sorry if you cannot see it.

You know what, I can't see it.  Then again, Burrow has only flawlessly and fearlessly smashed the 2021 season in our hopes and dreams so far.  I get it, Burrow can/should/will be better than Palmer but he's got to do it first.  What's so crazy about that?  

When Burrow plays fearless and flawless football in 2021 and shows he doesn't give a damn that he tore his ACL then I'll say he's got something Palmer doesn't.  But again, if Burrow legitimately shows some actual hesitancy in 2021 I won't blame him, either.  I swear you people think the guy is made of steel or something, he's a human being.

And let me reiterate, we are going to assume Burrow is a fearless maniac in 2021, but we are also going to freak the hell out when ZT has him dropping back 50 times in week 1.  We (as a united message board) seem to want to blame dumb football for getting our QB hurt but we also want to trumpet how there is a 0% chance there is going to be hesitancy or caution in 2021.  It's a little odd, but it's fandom so I get it.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No one, and I mean NO ONE, has the injury history that Carson Palmer had and throws for 4,800 yards at 35 TD's at the age of 36 without being a tough player.

Palmer tore his ACL and followed it by having a near MVP season and making it to the NFC Championship game...hopefully Burrow is NOTHING like him! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think that's where the difference comes into play with Joe. The guy exudes confidence, has swagger that everyone takes notice of and isn't afraid to take charge on the field. He just looks and sounds like a natural leader when he talks and plays. 

I was watching an interview with Justin Jefferson recently and when he was asked about the difference between Cousins and Burrow that’s basically what he said. It was honestly kind of refreshing to see him not just give a stock answer about how he loves both of them.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've never doubted his toughness, but I did doubt his leadership skills at times. He wasn't a very vocal guy and didn't really have a commanding presence about him, IMO. Very talented, great arm...just not a natural born leader. 

I think that's where the difference comes into play with Joe. The guy exudes confidence, has swagger that everyone takes notice of and isn't afraid to take charge on the field. He just looks and sounds like a natural leader when he talks and plays. 

That's possible, but (and here I go, acting like Carson's agent or something) he was well-regarded in AZ and Bruce Arians and Larry Fitzgerald give him high praise.  I'd say he has some sort of leadership ability to hang with those guys.

Again, I get the fandom.  Dalton and ZT were both members of this franchise for about 13 seconds before it was "obvious" that they were 10x the leaders that Palmer and Marvin were.  We didn't even make it through ZT's first press conference before people were gushing about what a natural leader he was and how he was the first real leader this team has had since Sam Wyche.

Hell, I even remember when we drafted Dalton and AJ and people were going on about how they were the ultimate new combo Bengals and I jokingly said that I was waiting for the NEXT QB/WR duo because THEY were going to be the ultimate super best.  Well I get the last laugh because Burrow and Chase are going to put 'em all to shame!

(05-22-2021, 03:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I was watching an interview with Justin Jefferson recently and when he was asked about the difference between Cousins and Burrow that’s basically what he said. It was honestly kind of refreshing to see him not just give a stock answer about how he loves both of them.

Kirk Cousins is also 7-35 against teams with a winning record.  I'm glad Burrow is such a maniac for the W's but results are all that matters.  Ehh, but football is a team game and so on.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 03:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Kirk Cousins is also 7-35 against teams with a winning record.  I'm glad Burrow is such a maniac for the W's but results are all that matters.  Ehh, but football is a team game and so on.

K...

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 03:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: K...

I'm just saying there is no need to go into the attitude of a guy who is that bad against good football teams.  Hell, if he had "swagger" and he had that record vs winning teams he'd be absolutely hated.

Swagger is great, but swagger can go bad if/when you don't start winning.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nothing against Carson but Burrow is a different sort, sorry if you cannot see it.

Nothing against Burrow, but so far he is nothing but an average NFL QB with a lot of hype.  If "swagger" meant anything then Johnny Manziel would be a Pro Bowl QB.

Sorry if you can not see it.

And I need to come up with a disclaimer that I can post at the end of all these type posts.  I am not bashing Burrow in any way.  I am just talking to the fans here who are "over the top" with their Burrow love.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 03:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's possible, but (and here I go, acting like Carson's agent or something) he was well-regarded in AZ and Bruce Arians and Larry Fitzgerald give him high praise.  I'd say he has some sort of leadership ability to hang with those guys.

Again, I get the fandom.  Dalton and ZT were both members of this franchise for about 13 seconds before it was "obvious" that they were 10x the leaders that Palmer and Marvin were.  We didn't even make it through ZT's first press conference before people were gushing about what a natural leader he was and how he was the first real leader this team has had since Sam Wyche.

Hell, I even remember when we drafted Dalton and AJ and people were going on about how they were the ultimate new combo Bengals and I jokingly said that I was waiting for the NEXT QB/WR duo because THEY were going to be the ultimate super best.  Well I get the last laugh because Burrow and Chase are going to put 'em all to shame!

Yeah, I'm not saying Carson had no leadership ability, just that he was never the natural leader type, IMO. Sort of like Marino and Montana (not saying Carson and Burrow are those guys obviously LOL)...Marino had leadership qualities, but Montana was far more of a natural born leader. It's just the difference in personality types. 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing against Burrow, but so far he is nothing but an average NFL QB with a lot of hype.  If "swagger" meant anything then Johnny Manziel would be a Pro Bowl QB.

Sorry if you can not see it.

And I need to come up with a disclaimer that I can post at the end of all these type posts.  I am not bashing Burrow in any way.  I am just talking to the fans here who are "over the top" with their Burrow love.

Swagger, moxy, x-factor...whatever you want to label it, does mean something if it comes from a place of hard work, lots of practice, respect for the game and being a leader on the field. That's why other NFL players point to it when talking about Burrow, even though he's only been in the league a year. They recognize he has the drive and talent to fuel that 'swagger' unlike a Manziel.
Reply/Quote